Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlwaysTheKop

Supports
Liverpool
Hard to say, the way he plays for Dortmund and his age, then yeah, with transfer prices now, it’s about right, but are you going to get that £100mil plus level of performance when he comes into your side with the players you have? Or would he need better quality around him before you get that level of play? Would it be better to try and improve the team all over the field first before buying a blockbuster signing, but would you trust whoever does transfers to use that money well over 3-4 worthwhile players... at the moment it just feels like a Fifa ‘throw all your money at a top player’ signing.

Born2Lose

With a guy like him, i ask myself "Whats the worst thing that could happen?" He flops and we sell him when he's 24-25 and recoup 60-80mil back. Atleast thats what a decent selling club could do
Do you think Barca will get 60-80m back on Dembele or Coutinho?

snowkarl

Ask yourself this one question: Would Sancho cost 108-120m if he wasn't English?

If the answer is no.... well.

snowkarl

Yes he would.
Haaland - better player, 45m Euro.

Timo Werner - very similar ability - 45m.

Gnabry was 8m, very similar ability.

Do you think Sancho is literally 100m pounds better than Nkunku, who had a better xA/90?

He is good. But 120m good? 120m would be the 3rd/4th most expensive transfer of ALL TIME in a window where clubs are in financial meltdown.

Shark

@NotShark
Based on what I've seen when I've watched him Internationally, not a chance. His stats in the Bundesliga are attractive but we've seen that before, players like Kagawa and Mkhitaryan come to the PL and not be nearly as effective. I'd much rather us keep Greenwood out on the right and buy a cheaper alternative. Loan James out.

bdecuc

I think he's over-priced. Dortmund are chancing their arm. I think they're trying to force us to pay the same price as he would have been in an ordinary market and it's far from an ordinary market. However, that being said I don't think I'd care about the price-tag if we bought him. Here's an idea, how about the parasite owners forego their dividends this year and the club actually ploughs all the money it makes back into the football team like you would expect a sports club is supposed to do - that might make it easier for us to buy him. Or better still, maybe they could repay the club all the money they've taken out over the years and then get lost.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Do you think Sancho is literally 100m pounds better than Nkunku, who had a better xA/90?

He is good. But 120m good? 120m would be the 3rd/4th most expensive transfer of ALL TIME in a window where clubs are in financial meltdown.
Dembele - 120-140 million, Felix - 120 million. That means Sancho is worth 200 million

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

You’re just cherry picking other random transfers, I can do the same thing if I wanted to prove my point (Neymar 250, Dembele 140, Felix 120, Pogba 90, Griezmann 80?) Sancho is easily better than 4/5 of these players.

Ultimately value is pretty subjective, I think we would look back in 5 years and think he was money well spent the same way we look at Rooney and Rio.

Clermontois

Supports
France
You’re just cherry picking other random transfers, I can do the same thing if I wanted to prove my point (Neymar 250, Dembele 140, Felix 120, Pogba 90, Griezmann 80?) Sancho is easily better than 4/5 of these players.

Ultimately value is pretty subjective, I think we would look back in 5 years and think he was money well spent the same way we look at Rooney and Rio.
Boatload of nonsense.

He may at best be close to Felix who is the worst of that lot.

Siorac

OK here's 2 questions

If you were a selling club, how much would you expect to get for Mason Greenwood?

if your answer is at least around 100m then the answer to the second question is that Sancho is probably worth it

For me the fact he's English doesn't really come into it. He's been consistently racking up big numbers of goals and assists and his contract is 3 years remaining I think.

If United want to spend 30/40 million which im quite happy with they really need to work harder at idenifying players earlier and do their ground work
If a club came in right now and offered 100m for Greenwood, I'd very much want United to say no.

However, in the hypothetical scenario in which we're a selling club depending on player sales and Greenwood wants to leave - well, I think a 100m would be completely unrealistic. He's an unproven 19-year-old who had half a good season. Those players don't go for a 100m.

Steve Bruce

We sign Sancho now, then we have an attack that's 18/20/22/24

We would have 4 players that can play in each others positions at a good level and interchange at will. You have 4 players that score goals and would assist each other, our bench would have 1 of them on it at all times when everyone is fit, what a position we would be in if we had that standard of option sitting on the bench.

Also realistically all our most expensive positions in the team will be filled with quality, with 4 players for 3 positions in the attacking 3 & 3 top players to fill 2 spots in the attacking end of our midfield.

Realistically after this, we could make our summer transfer budget a lot less going forward, with refinements rather than massively expensive signings needed each year.

after this all we would need is another DM (or CDM to some, personally I've never heard of a DM playing RDM or LDM, it's always been centre, so in fact putting the 'c' in front of 'dm' is pointless, but anyway I digress) as matic can't go on forever, a CB to partner maguire & left back to provide competition/cover for shaw.

It wont happen all this window, but if we can get these positions filled in january/next summer with possibly another signing that's a promising young man who wont cost much, this time next season we could be in very good shape. But it's a lot easier said than done & a lot can happen between now and then.

Idxomer

It makes sense to sign him if you're a team that is looking for the missing piece for £108m. But if you're a team that is still looking for multiple pieces to the puzzle then it makes little sense.
Exactly. In many games, we still have a problem of getting the ball to our 3 very talented forwards in dangerous positions, so they could consistently be effective in the last 3rd. Getting Sancho won't solve that, he won't make our slow defenders faster or our midfield more compact or our fullbacks more effective on the ball. If by some miracle we buy him this window, we could have 3 players worth about €300m and still have major problems all over the pitch. He will help us immensely in getting top 4 though.

Maticmaker

Actually don't think it is the £100 + its another powerplay by Woodward, determining to turn back the tide of United always getting stuffed on price!
Wish him luck with that, he's as much chance as King Canute's attempt to turn back the tide!
If we really want him, then pay the money Ed!

buckooo1978

If a club came in right now and offered 100m for Greenwood, I'd very much want United to say no.

However, in the hypothetical scenario in which we're a selling club depending on player sales and Greenwood wants to leave - well, I think a 100m would be completely unrealistic. He's an unproven 19-year-old who had half a good season. Those players don't go for a 100m.
that was kind of my point. Greenwood's potential is worth far more than 100m to us IMO

why would Sancho be valued any less givem his record/contract/potential

Stretender

Dodged a 120m bullet!
His fee will massively come down and Dortmund will regret not cashing in.

There is no guarantee that Sancho will have the same impact in Bundesliga this season. And if he is not forcing his way into England's first 11, his value will continue to drop.

Dortmund you mugs!!

Champagne Football

A young player who is a sensation at Dortmund doesn't always translate to being a truly world class player as we found out with Ousmane Dembele, Gotze and Mkhitaryan.

Sancho will be a brilliant player, but right now he is not a bigger talent than Leroy Sane who just sold for £55 million. Paying £100+ million quid for him in the current climate is far too much. It would have been Harry Maguire all over again, paying £80 million for a player who is really work £35 million.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
A young player who is a sensation at Dortmund doesn't always translate to being a truly world class player as we found out with Ousmane Dembele, Gotze and Mkhitaryan.

Sancho will be a brilliant player, but right now he is not a bigger talent than Leroy Sane who just sold for £55 million. Paying £100+ million quid for him in the current climate is far too much. It would have been Harry Maguire all over again, paying £80 million for a player who is really work £35 million.
Mkhitaryan was 27 at the time of his transfer, Götze had myopathy and only Dembélé fits both young sensation and genuine flop category, since a lot of his injuries are look to be the result of his off-the-pitch attitude and the complete lack of any discipline.

Comparing Sancho for Harry Maguire is weird. Maguire never was touted as a world-class talent or as a world-class player.

Stretender

Bang on mate. Sancho has got a lot to prove.

The Bundesliga defending is a joke.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Mkhitaryan was 27 at the time of his transfer, Götze had myopathy and only Dembélé fits both young sensation and genuine flop category, since a lot of his injuries are look to be the result of his off-the-pitch attitude and the complete lack of any discipline.

Comparing Sancho for Harry Maguire is weird. Maguire never was touted as a world-class talent or as a world-class player.
Kagawa is another one.
I genuinely believe with Sancho at United we would get a combination of his form for Dortmund and his form for England.
If this is worth 120 mil is always going to divide opinions unless he joins and is the next Ronaldo (or something remotely close) over several seasons.

GiddyUp

His fee will massively come down and Dortmund will regret not cashing in.

There is no guarantee that Sancho will have the same impact in Bundesliga this season. And if he is not forcing his way into England's first 11, his value will continue to drop.

Dortmund you mugs!!
That would be absolutely hilarious if it happens.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
The transfer had red flags all over the place. He hasn't done nearly enough in his admittedly short career to justify that price tag. I actually don't think he'll ever be the kind of 'game-changing' footballer that would warrant such a fee but at the same time he'll still be brilliant for either Liverpool or Chelsea, whichever of the two he chooses to join. Sadly had he signed for United it would have been the usual course of events. Starting well enough for posters to celebrate his performances as the ushering in of a new age, only to soon massively underperform every other game. However, in this regard only some of the blame could be apportioned to him as it's the natural state of the majority of players in the squad.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Thank god people are seeing this now and I dont have to keep my mouth shut about Sancho.

He is a useful player but for 120 million you expect a player that takes CL games by themselves and is hella consistent in near all the games he plays from the Bundesliga, the CL & the national team.

I'd still be happy with him for a decent amount but him joining here for a 120 million price tag would have not done him good never mind the club who buys him.

People were saying that clubs like Barcelona and Real Madrid would buy the lad :rolleyes: for such a price has he actually done anything special? Literally 3/4 of his goals are tap ins when playing in a team that has been cohesive for ages. I like his dribbling and slight creativity but nothing to spend 120 million on.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Kagawa is another one.
I genuinely believe with Sancho at United we would get a combination of his form for Dortmund and his form for England.
If this is worth 120 mil is always going to divide opinions unless he joins and is the next Ronaldo (or something remotely close) over several seasons.
I've had this discussion elsewhere, but from the recent years only Dembélé and Götze are an appropriate comparison to Sancho in terms of their stature at the time of their transfer. Kagawa & Mkhitaryan were quite obviously system players that no one expected to compete for Ballon d'Or anytime soon. Gündogan is arguably another one – and yet another career sidetracked by a serious injury and not because he wasn't good or talented enough.

pixel

So how the feck did we spend 80m on him?

Don't bother answering. I am just amazed at what we paid. End of short rant.

Cloud7

I somewhat alluded to this in the matchday thread about the England match and got shouted down, but at this point I’m not really seeing a 100 million plus player, and I’m not entirely sure that he is what our team needed at this time.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Sancho never performs for us (England). I don't really watch much German football either. That's why I wasn't really bothered about him. Not that I was opposed to the signing, but a single player shouldn't be the priority right now. Especially one for £120m. For me, we need to prioritise our coaching problems and start playing as a team in and out of possession before wasting more money.

lex talionis

I’m not sure that Sancho wasn’t worth a 120m fee plus his presumed high wages over say a 7 year contract, but he’s certainly good enough to make that an interesting question to answer. We all have to agree, surely, that he’s significantly superior to Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and of course James and Mata, and RW has been a gaping hole since Ronaldo left.

I think we all agree he’s “worth” an 80m fee. In the end do we really care that much if the Glazers would have been poorer by 40m had they spent the 120m for Sancho? I wouldn’t have lost any sleep over it.

The ship has sailed. Let’s see what we’ve got in these kids we’ve brought in.

jamesjimmybyrondean

When you consider his stats, age and even branding then he is. But he's not 120m better than Greenwood was last season. It's too much money on a player that's not a drastic improvement on what we have. Hoping Pellistri and Diallo performs to negate the need to spend that amount on Sancho

archiebald

od and of course James and Mata, and RW has been a gaping hole since Ronaldo left.

I think we all agree he’s “worth” an 80m fee. In the end do we really care that much if the Glazers would have been poorer by 40m had they spent the 120m for Sancho? I wouldn’t have lost any sleep over it.

The ship has sailed. Let’s see what we’ve got in these kids we’ve brought in.
Honestly anywhere between the 80-120m range is fair, though it does become a tad of a stretch the closer you get to the higher end of that band.

Sancho would be a great addition as we would get proper width on the right, but we are paying the premium for 3 factors:

1) English (though we have a good number of homegrown players in our squad and don't need to scramble fulfill the minimum quota)

2) Youth

3) Pacey and talented dribbler on the right wing in a time when there is a dearth of options there who aren't inside forwards a la Robben. Our right winger needs to be able to take on a man, beat him and deliver crosses into dangerous areas. Outside of Dembele and Sancho can't really think of alternatives we could go for.

Fridge chutney

I hope we look back on this transfer window with relief over signing Diallo for 20+20 rather than Sancho for 120.

ti vu

For the fee we pay for AWB & Maguire, yes Sancho is worth it. He is perfect for our need for the team as well as squad building.

We're not in position of power to negotiate for much better deal, especially when we don't really have good alternative.

eltigreFalcao

To think that one day we paid 4mill for the best player in his generation and probably one of the best players ever. No, I dont think any player is worth to splash 100+million quid on. Not. A. Single. One. I'm not willing to go dow the road of "with that money you could sort a hundred families lifes" here. Lets just think that withthat money and some excelent scouting you culd maybe buy a whole XI or so. That's the kind of thinking that makes me say no.

On a different note, he will do the world to us if he was to come, and I have no doubts in his abilities and potential. Its a match made in heaven

We will end up getting him for a much lesser fee, not because our negotiation habilities obviously, but becaus the market will regulate himself. If they end up selling him one day, which will absolutelly happen, they wont be able to name the price they want

pixel

To think that one day we paid 4mill for the best player in his generation and probably one of the best players ever. No, I dont think any player is worth to splash 100+million quid on. Not. A. Single. One. I'm not willing to go dow the road of "with that money you could sort a hundred families lifes" here. Lets just think that withthat money and some excelent scouting you culd maybe buy a whole XI or so. That's the kind of thinking that makes me say no.

On a different note, he will do the world to us if he was to come, and I have no doubts in his abilities and potential. Its a match made in heaven

We will end up getting him for a much lesser fee, not because our negotiation habilities obviously, but becaus the market will regulate himself. If they end up selling him one day, which will absolutelly happen, they wont be able to name the price they want
Roy Keane ?

Status
Not open for further replies.