Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CM

Saint Maximin is injury prone and there's no real certainty that he could make such a big step up.
This is also Sancho's quietest season since joining Dortmund in terms of goals and assists and he still has more this season than Saint-Maximin has in two seasons at Newcastle. Chalk and cheese.

Judas

Open to offers
This is also Sancho's quietest season since joining Dortmund in terms of goals and assists and he still has more this season than Saint-Maximin has in two seasons at Newcastle. Chalk and cheese.
It's a daft comparison really. Some people are just intent on under appreciating how good Sancho has been.

marktan

Come off it. Sancho is on a different planet to him in terms of talent, and if we're paying £50m we might as well pay the full whack for someone who does the job properly.
He's not. Saint max has been highly rated even when he was in the French league, he put in some great performances vs PSG. I've watched most Newcastle matches over the last 2 seasons and he stands out every match. Technically there's few wingers better than him in the league.

On the figures - it is chalk and cheese. Saint max plays in a heavily defensive team that don't score many, whereas Sancho plays in a team that gets acres of space in the Bundesliga. Not a comparison at all.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
At the business end of the pitch, when it comes to making decisions, Maximin is not in Sancho's league.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Sounds like Maximin is the kind of player that a manager such as Klopp could turn into a top class player and make his doubters look daft!

theklr

Sounds like Maximin is the kind of player that a manager such as Klopp could turn into a top class player and make his doubters look daft!
Maybe, but its not like each and every of his signings has been a success.

CM

He's not. Saint max has been highly rated even when he was in the French league, he put in some great performances vs PSG. I've watched most Newcastle matches over the last 2 seasons and he stands out every match. Technically there's few wingers better than him in the league.

On the figures - it is chalk and cheese. Saint max plays in a heavily defensive team that don't score many, whereas Sancho plays in a team that gets acres of space in the Bundesliga. Not a comparison at all.
Sancho is on a different level in both senses. He's excellent technically and has much better decision making than Saint-Maximin too.

I don't even dislike Saint-Maximin but there's just no comparison.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'd cap his value at £70m absolute tops and move on quickly if Dortmund don't entertain it.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Explain to me how playing in a heavily defensive team means having less space to attack

laughtersassassin

And the only thing we want form pogba is him to match our work rate.
As he has be all season. And last year he was injured. And the season before that he was statistically our best player in every attacking sense and he was our best CM.

We have been improving and he has been too.

The club need to significantly add to the squad so that Ole is backed and to make the most of the progress that's been made.

We where right up there at the top of the table until Pogba got injured. We certainly would be further away if we never had him.

We probably also would have been out of the EL without.

So seems to me almost everyone is holding up their end of the bargain except the owners and board who let us down last summer.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Im slowly moving from the Haaland camp to Sancho. If we keep Cavani, then with Greenwood as his understudy I think that is a good pair of options up front. Sancho is likely to be more reasonably priced, and likely to cause less drama than the Haaland/Raiola circus, as well as potentially staying with us for longer. Furthermore, due to the reduced price it would leave us in a better position to make another "premium" signing such as Rice. As an added bonus, if we did sign Sancho then you feel like it would be unlikely that Dortmund would sell Haaland in the same window, so that would give us another year to consider him as an option.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We probably have less money than last year. This is in Dortmund's court.

AR87

Sancho fits the bill for our biggest need in attack as a creative force on the right, while also providing us flexibility and depth at LW and CAM. Fair enough we didn't pay over the odds last summer in a negotiation where it certainly seemed as if Dortmund were being ridiculously hard line about his valuation, but this needs to get done this summer.

Ole seems nailed on to hit the targets I presume were set for him for the 2nd season in a row, and he did it without much strengthening of the squad in a crazy, fixture congested season. He deserves to be backed in the market to address the major deficient areas in the squad so that there are no caveats for not truly challenging moving forward.

Sancho completes our attack and gives it necessary depth. Get it done.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
We probably have less money than last year. This is in Dortmund's court.
Said this in the tweets thread, but that supposed price is only 4m less that what we were reportedly willing to spend last year. Zero chance we pay that.

Infra-red

Would be a tasty looking front four, with enough pace and skill to scare most defences:

Sancho Fernandes Rashford

Greenwood​

marktan

Explain to me how playing in a heavily defensive team means having less space to attack
It's nonsense, the fact Newcastle play defensively means he gets plenty of opportunities to counter, which play directly into his strengths.
Are you guys serious?

They spend most of their time in their own half, meaning less chances to attack and create?

Then anyone's that actually watched Newcastle would know the state of their attack. Prior to getting Calum Wilson this season, their defenders were the ones that scored the most goals. Joelinton is notoriously known for being a terrible striker / finisher, and Almiron whilst a good hard working player isn't a great finisher either.

There's been so many games were Saint-Maximin has created good opportunities for his team mates and they haven't finished them. Despite having low goals and assists, his finishing and passing is already on a high level, it's no issue whatsoever. Put him in that Dortmund team and he easily gets Sancho's figures.

I feel like this is where the overrating of Sancho comes in - he's a supremely talented player but people treat him like he's close to the likes of Neymar and Mbappe when he's not. Look at his dribbling for instance - very good in close quarters, but if you've actually watched Saint-Maximin regularly for Newcastle, or go watch his videos on youtube, you'd easily see that his dribbling is more explosive than Sancho's and thus more suited to the premier league. I suggested £50m for Saint-Maximin instead of £100m for Sancho and people act like I'm suggesting signing Bebe vs Neymar.

SwedishFish

Would be a tasty looking front four, with enough pace and skill to scare most defences:

Sancho Fernandes Rashford

Greenwood​
That's not good enough tbh.

Greenwood is nowhere near ready to be the starting CF.

He's got bags of talent but as you could see on MOTD he was lectured a few times by Cavani on his decisions and he doesn't have the general play of a true number nine just yet.

We need Cavani for another year or to go for a CF instead.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Are you guys serious?

They spend most of their time in their own half, meaning less chances to attack and create?

Then anyone's that actually watched Newcastle would know the state of their attack. Prior to getting Calum Wilson this season, their defenders were the ones that scored the most goals. Joelinton is notoriously known for being a terrible striker / finisher, and Almiron whilst a good hard working player isn't a great finisher either.

There's been so many games were Saint-Maximin has created good opportunities for his team mates and they haven't finished them. Despite having low goals and assists, his finishing and passing is already on a high level, it's no issue whatsoever. Put him in that Dortmund team and he easily gets Sancho's figures.

I feel like this is where the overrating of Sancho comes in - he's a supremely talented player but people treat him like he's close to the likes of Neymar and Mbappe when he's not. Look at his dribbling for instance - very good in close quarters, but if you've actually watched Saint-Maximin regularly for Newcastle, or go watch his videos on youtube, you'd easily see that his dribbling is more explosive than Sancho's and thus more suited to the premier league. I suggested £50m for Saint-Maximin instead of £100m for Sancho and people act like I'm suggesting signing Bebe vs Neymar.
It's fine that you're suggesting it but you are comparing an explosive winger who has plenty of flaws to one of the very best young footballers on world football. You could pay half the fee in 2005 to get someone who can pick a great pass but you have to acknowledge that you're not getting a young Andre Iniesta, and hence settling for a lesser player. Now fair enough that you think Maximan is going to go through an incredible rise over the next few years but of course people are going to find the suggestion that he's capable of matching Sancho's quality of peformances and productivity, which lets not forget aren't just good Bundesliga numbers, but have been record breaking Bundesliga numbers for a player of his age.

It's not like comparing Bebe to Neymar but possibly like comparing Adama Traore to a young Eden Hazard. Maximan may have more talent than Adama but there's chance he's shown enough to be considered alongside footballs best talents yet. And being at Newcastle has nothing to do with it. Him not being at that level has everything to do with it.

Judas

Open to offers
There's going to be a lot of posturing by Dortmund, a lot of chat, but I hope we go in early find out the truth then just move on if they're going to be asking silly money again.

marktan

It's fine that you're suggesting it but you are comparing an explosive winger who has plenty of flaws to one of the very best young footballers on world football. You could pay half the fee in 2005 to get someone who can pick a great pass but you have to acknowledge that you're not getting a young Andre Iniesta, and hence settling for a lesser player. Now fair enough that you think Maximan is going to go through an incredible rise over the next few years but of course people are going to find the suggestion that he's capable of matching Sancho's quality of peformances and productivity, which lets not forget aren't just good Bundesliga numbers, but have been record breaking Bundesliga numbers for a player of his age.

It's not like comparing Bebe to Neymar but possibly like comparing Adama Traore to a young Eden Hazard. Maximan may have more talent than Adama but there's chance he's shown enough to be considered alongside footballs best talents yet. And being at Newcastle has nothing to do with it. Him not being at that level has everything to do with it.
We'll see how it plays out I guess, nothing more to be said really. If we do spend the £100m Dortmund ask for I hope he turns out as good as people think he is, because that'll be most of our transfer budget gone.

And fyi I think you've got my thinking a little backwards - there's no doubt Sancho can play great passes. My worry is his dribbling - we lack a wide player that can consistently beat a man with pace and technique. Sancho's capable at times, but he often hesitates in the 1 on 1s. It'll be a shame to spend £100m on someone that's basically stylistically similar to Rashford - that's my worry. It'll be little help to us against low blocks. The Hazard comparison is a bit pointless because he's nowhere near him dribbling wise.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

We'll see how it plays out I guess, nothing more to be said really. If we do spend the £100m Dortmund ask for I hope he turns out as good as people think he is, because that'll be most of our transfer budget gone.

And fyi I think you've got my thinking a little backwards - there's no doubt Sancho can play great passes. My worry is his dribbling - we lack a wide player that can consistently beat a man with pace and technique. Sancho's capable at times, but he often hesitates in the 1 on 1s. It'll be a shame to spend £100m on someone that's basically stylistically similar to Rashford - that's my worry. It'll be little help to us against low blocks. The Hazard comparison is a bit pointless because he's nowhere near him dribbling wise.
I will happily take a stylistically similar player to Rashford on the right hand side who is left footed. We will be unstoppable

hobbers

Much, much better ways of spending £80m+ than this guy.

And that was also true last summer.

red thru&thru

Has it already been mentioned that Håland hasn't scored since Sancho has had his latest injury? Previous to this, Sancho had assisted 10 goals (or something like that) for Håland!

GledTheRed

ASM would take the piss for BVB in Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.