Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreddieTheReddie

Has it already been mentioned that Håland hasn't scored since Sancho has had his latest injury? Previous to this, Sancho had assisted 10 goals (or something like that) for Håland!
Well, if you don’t count the braces against Bayern, Sevilla and Köln...

hobbers

List them, curious to know who you'd rather fix our gaping hole out wide.
I'd rather fix the three gaping holes throughout the spine of our team first. Number 9, a top midfielder so we can move on from McFred, and a CB.

If money is tight, and it will be, the priority has to be signing a top striker.

Judas

Open to offers
If money is tight, and it will be, I don't see how we sign a top striker without deserting all the other issues in our team. So we won't be signing a top striker.

passing-wind

There's also Neto (unfortunately injured) and Rafinha of Leeds as good alternatives.

I actually reckon Dortmund would accept 70-75 million. 7 points off UCL place with very few games puts them in a substantially weaker position to negotiate. Playing for Dortmund domestically and not in Europe does nothing for their star players development / reputation. They could agitate for moves abroad.

Irwin99

Weird that no other clubs seem to be interested or maybe they're put off by the price tag. Still think he will come here in the summer though.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Weird that no other clubs seem to be interested or maybe they're put off by the price tag. Still think he will come here in the summer though.
There probably are multiple clubs in for him, they’re just better at keeping things under wraps. Wouldn’t shock me at all if I woke up one morning and he’d signed for Chelsea.

marktan

There probably are multiple clubs in for him, they’re just better at keeping things under wraps. Wouldn’t shock me at all if I woke up one morning and he’d signed for Chelsea.
Not really, they already have 50 attacking wide players. None of the big spending teams really need a young wide player like Sancho - Real, Barca, City, PSG, Liverpool all have good and young options there. PSG I could maybe see if Mbappe moves this year.

You saw it last year where no one showed any interest in him at the priced Dortmund quoted except for United.

Cman

Anybody think Sancho would put in a transfer request this summer to make sure this get over the line? His form early season would suggest he wasn’t happy at not being sold last year. I’d assume he fully expects to be sold this year. If Dortmund put too high a price on his head again then he might have to force the issue.

SinNombre

His price tag even at €80m will be very high. One of the highest ever.

And he is completely unproven outside of the BvB system.

Struggles for England and hasn’t done much in the CL either.

Us and Chelsea are really the only two teams who would pay up for him this summer.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We'll see how it plays out I guess, nothing more to be said really. If we do spend the £100m Dortmund ask for I hope he turns out as good as people think he is, because that'll be most of our transfer budget gone.

And fyi I think you've got my thinking a little backwards - there's no doubt Sancho can play great passes. My worry is his dribbling - we lack a wide player that can consistently beat a man with pace and technique. Sancho's capable at times, but he often hesitates in the 1 on 1s. It'll be a shame to spend £100m on someone that's basically stylistically similar to Rashford - that's my worry. It'll be little help to us against low blocks. The Hazard comparison is a bit pointless because he's nowhere near him dribbling wise.
He's not at all like Rahsford. Firstly his close control is on a different level altogether. Secondly, Rashford isn't really a passer whereas Sancho is a superb passer which makes him very unique as far as wide players go.

His dribbling is very good. His acceleration is not mental like Mbappe or Adama, but give me the completely package who can pass, link up, playmake etc rather than players like Maximan and Adama who are explosive but don't have anywhere near the complete skillset Sancho does.

amolbhatia50k

His price tag even at €80m will be very high. One of the highest ever.

And he is completely unproven outside of the BvB system.

Struggles for England and hasn’t done much in the CL either.

Us and Chelsea are really the only two teams who would pay up for him this summer.
Highest ever? Are we back in 2015?

SinNombre

Highest ever? Are we back in 2015?
We have had 2 seasons of Covid causing losses to clubs across the board.

Arguably things are worse than 2015.

Even in normal times, United have paid more than €80m thrice in history.

Madrid thrice.

Chelsea once.

City never (at least officially).

amolbhatia50k

We have had 2 seasons of Covid causing losses to clubs across the board.

Arguably things are worse than 2015.

Even in normal times, United have paid more than €80m thrice in history.

Madrid thrice.

Chelsea once.

City never (at least officially).
Barcelona? PSG?

So it's nowhere near one of the highest transfer fees. We spent more on Maguire FFS

SinNombre

How is Maguire pre-Covid from a top-4 rival proven in the league anyway relevant for Sancho?

InfiniteBoredom

Also no-one has said 80m is the price. Dortmund could demand more like last year.
Depends on whether Haaland goes as well I reckon, if they have 60m from that they might just decide to hunker down for another year on Sancho.

The player will have to push for it.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I've decided I don't want him now, having the 15th most expensive player in history turns my stomach.
:lol: worlds biggest football club having the 15th most expensive player, how embarrassing!

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
It would be the 15th highest in history.

That’s the literal definition of the word ffs
Well he'd marginally make it into the top 20. Alternatively, €80m is about £69m, making him the 25th most expensive signing. £3m less than Arsenal paid for Pepe.

Last edited:

SinNombre

Also no-one has said 80m is the price. Dortmund could demand more like last year.
Exactly. And Dortmund’s sources are saying the price is €100m

But United should just go and spend such a ridiculous sum just because they are the “biggest club in the world”

The inane muppetry is strong in this thread.

Massive unemployment and covid related losses be damned, just spend.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
First of all, is there others club who considers winger as priority? If there is, can they meet his price tag?

Bayern & Chelsea already have enough number of wingers, Pep already made statement not going to sign Sancho back so that's exclude those two clubs.

Inter Conte doesn't play winger but wingback, Juventus already invested on Chiesa and Kulusevski. Real madrid is focussing on Mbappe. Barcelona is focussing on a striker. Liverpool wants him probably but they know they can't afford him. That will leave us the only option. However, if we wait next year then I'm sure more clubs will be willing to sign since his price will be dropped significantly due to his contract expired in 2023.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Anybody think Sancho would put in a transfer request this summer to make sure this get over the line? His form early season would suggest he wasn’t happy at not being sold last year. I’d assume he fully expects to be sold this year. If Dortmund put too high a price on his head again then he might have to force the issue.
I'm not sure, but I don't think the famous "transfer request" is really a thing in Germany.
At least I've never read anything about players at BuLi clubs doing something like that ('hand in a transfer request'). I think it has to do with PL player union regulations or something?

It would indeed be weird if it was like that, but I would bet there's a whole bunch of clubs interested in him.

Rolaholic

It would indeed be weird if it was like that, but I would bet there's a whole bunch of clubs interested in him.
Was just reading reading reports from France and even Ornstein claiming that P$G are keeping tabs on him in case Mbappe doesn't renew his contract pushes for a move this summer.

I doubt we'll have a free run this summer like we did last year

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Is there any reliable reports stating we will even go back in for Sancho this summer?
The athletic seem to keep saying we’ve the ground work done and we retain a solid interest. It was an absolute shitshow last summer so I doubt the club will be briefing anyone about our transfers until they are a lot closer to completion. United will surely hang back until the price is at it lowest either way

RUCK4444

The athletic seem to keep saying we’ve the ground work done and we retain a solid interest. It was an absolute shitshow last summer so I doubt the club will be briefing anyone about our transfers until they are a lot closer to completion.
You would hope that if we are still interested that a lot of the groundwork will already be in place.

Prices mentioned? He would have to be a lot less than the crazies at Dortmund priced him at last summer.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Was just reading reading reports from France and even Ornstein claiming that P$G are keeping tabs on him in case Mbappe doesn't renew his contract pushes for a move this summer.

I doubt we'll have a free run this summer like we did last year
From what could and can be read, it sounds like he's ready to join you, and was ready last summer. In the end, his decision is the crucial one.

But there will be others waiting and trying, surely, so if you keep stringing him along while failing to get the transfer done with BVB (and no, he won't be cheap, why would he), he will have other options.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
You would hope that if we are still interested that a lot of the groundwork will already be in place.

Prices mentioned? He would have to be a lot less than the crazies at Dortmund priced him at last summer.
They are saying it’s a reduced price but if Dortmund are going to sell Sancho for Havertz money then I can definitely see a few other clubs stepping in. I reckon Liverpool must surely hold an interest with Mane on the slide and Salah getting on. Sancho Jota ? Could be their new look attack/serious rotation options for now. United certainly shouldn’t get too complacent if they want the player.

OrcaFat

If money is tight, and it will be, I don't see how we sign a top striker without deserting all the other issues in our team. So we won't be signing a top striker.
As ever it will probably be less about what we need and more about who we can actually get at our price. There are several areas that need strengthening but it’s never as simple as saying we need a CB more than a striker.

I suppose we’ll be “working on” several deals and we’ll go through with the best deal for the club, and if that’s a striker so be it. Probably commercial potential will be as much a factor as the pure football element.

I’ve no idea if any of the above is actually true but knowing what we do about the owners, it seems logical and likely to be not far from the reality.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Im starting to want Sancho, Haaland and Bellingham from Dortmund.

Even if it wont come all in one season - is it weird to target 3 players from a single club?

Will Dortmund be seen as our 2nd club if that happens?

It's just not realistic though is it? Or could it be done?

marktan

From what could and can be read, it sounds like he's ready to join you, and was ready last summer. In the end, his decision is the crucial one.

But there will be others waiting and trying, surely, so if you keep stringing him along while failing to get the transfer done with BVB (and no, he won't be cheap, why would he), he will have other options.
Who are the other options? No one showed any interest last year at Dortmund's quoted price.

The only team that would come close to 100m is maybe PSG if Mbappe leaves. All the other big teams that can spend that have young and/or established wide options, no one has a need for him.

Dortmund think they have the power, but they don't.
- United have shown they won't pay extortionate prices. No one else will.
- Dortmund will miss out on top 4.
- If Dortmund don't sell this summer, next summer Sancho only has a year left on his contact, and that after a year of no CL football.

They're deluding themselves if they think anyone's going to pay 100m for him.

marktan

He's not at all like Rahsford. Firstly his close control is on a different level altogether. Secondly, Rashford isn't really a passer whereas Sancho is a superb passer which makes him very unique as far as wide players go.

His dribbling is very good. His acceleration is not mental like Mbappe or Adama, but give me the completely package who can pass, link up, playmake etc rather than players like Maximan and Adama who are explosive but don't have anywhere near the complete skillset Sancho does.
Rashford is an excellent passer. Sancho's close control is much better, yes.

Again my worry with Sancho is not his ability to link play, he's very good at it. It's his ability to beat a man against low blocks. Players like Mane have shown just how important that can be over the last couple of years. In that sense, I see more of Mane in ASM than I do in Sancho. Also ASM is not the headless chicken you make him out to be. His passing and finishing are very good.

If Sancho's dribbling was just a bit more explosive ala Neymar I'd have no qualms spending the £100m+ on him, as it stands it makes me worry a little at that price.

In Rainbows

Rashford is an excellent passer. Sancho's close control is much better, yes.

Again my worry with Sancho is not his ability to link play, he's very good at it. It's his ability to beat a man against low blocks. Players like Mane have shown just how important that can be over the last couple of years. In that sense, I see more of Mane in ASM than I do in Sancho. Also ASM is not the headless chicken you make him out to be. His passing and finishing are very good.

If Sancho's dribbling was just a bit more explosive ala Neymar I'd have no qualms spending the £100m+ on him, as it stands it makes me worry a little at that price.
Sancho is a better dribbler than Rashford. Just compare his dribbling numbers to great dribblers who made the transition from another league to the PL. All of them struggled in their first year in the premier league in terms of dribbling, but then took it up a notch bettering their own younger dribbling numbers. I don't see why Sancho wouldn't be the same.

I posted these a while back so now they're out of date as Sancho has another season under his belt.

per 90 (successful/attempted/%successful)
Sancho age 18: 4.1/6.8 / 60.3%
Sancho age 19: 3.0 /5.4 / 55.6%

Hazard age 19: 2.0 /5.3 / 37.7%
Hazard age 20: 2.9 /6 / 48.3%
Hazard age 21: 2.5 /4.9 / 51%
Hazard age 22: 2.1 /4.4 / 47.7% (Premier League)
Hazard age 23: 4.1 /6.5 / 63.1% (Premier League)

Sane age 19: 3.3 /6.8 / 48.5%
Sane age 20: 3.5 /7.7 / 45.5%
Sage age 21: 2.7 /4.8 / 56.3% (PL)
Sane age 22: 3.2 /4.9 / 65.3% (PL)

Status
Not open for further replies.