Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Its the only way to be a success. Injury strikes all teams as does poor form. I adore Mason and Marcus, but they cannot play 60 games a season.

Best example of depth is us having Cavani. Actually saved us as Martial was in incredibly shocking form this season
There you go. Bringing in someone potentially even better is the only way to go. Nobody knew how reliant on Cavani we would end up but he’s been essential. Sancho would be essential in no time too.

marktan

Fat chance getting one of the best young footballers on the planet for 50 million. You get the likes of Pulisic for that much.
£60-£70m will probably be what we offer. Doubt there'll be any £80m transfers this window.

Tbh I'm a fan of Pulisics, he impresses me everytime I see him. He may even be slightly more suited to the PL because his dribbling is more pacey and direct.

beingshe7don

£60-£70m will probably be what we offer. Doubt there'll be any £80m transfers this window.

Tbh I'm a fan of Pulisics, he impresses me everytime I see him. He may even be slightly more suited to the PL because his dribbling is more pacey and direct.
I don't see Chelsea parting away with Pulisic. He's been pretty crucial for them in the CL. Raphinha or Neto would be cheaper. Barcelona is a sinking ship right now, perhaps could take a punt at O Dembele for 30 odd million.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Pulsiic is good. Sancho's potential is a tier above, direct or not.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think 60-70m pounds (70-80m Euro) would be fair price for Sancho in this market. I don’t think we will be able to offer anything more though.

BaillyBaillyBailly

I think 60-70m pounds (70-80m Euro) would be fair price for Sancho in this market. I don’t think we will be able to offer anything more though.
Anything above £60m and I think we might be priced out. Seems as if no club is going to be spending much over £100m total this summer and I think the board will want a CB or CDM as well as Sancho.

gorky_utd

Need to sign him. Young, talented, can play both wing. Plus we can sell players like Lingard and James. Will send Diallo on loan if Sancho signs.

Devil may care

Greenwood has been put in the RW but we all know he's a striker. His future is there, and not buying a worldclass player because we dont want to slow down an academy player career is non sense. Our goal as a club should be to win, not to develop players. At the end of the day if Greenwood is good enough he'll play, competition is good for everyone.
Ole and Mason have both talked about how they feel he's better suited to that RWF position, he's only 19, the idea that his long term position is set in stone is odd, plenty of players change position from academy level to senior level. The lust for a shiny new toy is real.

Unfortunately you and I are not the manager. The manager thinks McFred are what he needs in double pivot to create balance for the winning game. The manager also has been obsessed with signing Sancho since 2019, which he has good logic behind it. Ole is the manager and I have faith in what he thinks as his primary targets to improve the squad. After all, it's his team and it's up to him of how he wants to play. As long as he's backed not like last season.
If Ole thinks they are good enough then he's wrong and I'd have zero faith we'll ever be more than top 4 challengers under him. I think the more logical thinking is that Matic fell off a cliff this season and Pogba has had injury issues, so basically McFred are his only options, but he can easily rectify that in the summer and logically will. You keep saying McFred are needed for balance, it's very easy to get players that can offer the limited qualities they have but with actual on the ball qualities as well. If Ole spends £70M in a position where we already have quality while leaving that bang average midfield then I'd say he's clueless, and I just don't believe he's that stupid.

I really dislike this whole he’s my favourite player so he can’t ever be dropped or have competition for their place. Competition will push your favourite player up or out but either way it’s better for the team and the team is what I’m interested in. I think it makes sense to rotate players a bit more than Ole has managed to this season but I also feel it’s probably due to a lack of suitable options in a lot of cases. I hope all the current starters eventually have someone potentially as good or even better waiting in the wings.
It's got nothing to do with favourite players, Rashford is England and United's golden boy, no matter how he plays he's going to start 90% bare minimum, Ole will never treat him the way Pep has Sterling for instance, plus people need to stop expecting us to have a squad like City's, their depth is the exception not the rule.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If Ole thinks they are good enough then he's wrong and I'd have zero faith we'll ever be more than top 4 challengers under him. I think the more logical thinking is that Matic fell off a cliff this season and Pogba has had injury issues, so basically McFred are his only options, but he can easily rectify that in the summer and logically will. You keep saying McFred are needed for balance, it's very easy to get players that can offer the limited qualities they have but with actual on the ball qualities as well. If Ole spends £70M in a position where we already have quality while leaving that bang average midfield then I'd say he's clueless, and I just don't believe he's that stupid.
10 draws this season, 7 of those draws were 0-0. If we didn't force Rashford to play through his fatigue/injury and having better players than Mata & James in our XI in those games, majority of those draws would have been a win and we would have still in a title race now. Thus, why Sancho is priority in the way how Ole set up us to play. He has his own system/tactic, he doesn't use your system/tactic.

Tarrou

CHO’s wages might be an issue for Dortmund? He’s on a lot for a young player

CG1010

There should be competition in the squad. Ole said as much referring to the trio of Rashford-Martial-Greenwood at the end of the last season. However, the competition cannot be Sancho vs Greenwood, two similarly aged boys who are both amazing talents, as one of them is bound to leave then. In this context only way it works is if we bring an experienced RW talent. And coming to Rashford, despite recent knee-jerking by this place, Rashford is actually quite good and he will leave in 5 minutes if he finds he is to be rotated next season, and all the top clubs would be in queue to buy him.

Simple thing is if you have on your books Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho, you got to have a plan to play them together for most of the season. And how? Does Greenwood play in the center ahead of Cavani (hopefully he is there)? Might be famous last words but we won't win anything with him playing as our central striker, he is not ready yet. And even Ole doesn't seem to be sure about that.

And then there is a small matter of young Diallo whose United career is basically ended if he has Greenwood AND Sancho ahead of him. AND assuming Martial is basically a back up player next season.

So all said and done, fitting Sancho in our team is quite difficult in my opinion and we should probably pass at the opportunity unless the plan is to play Greenwood as a striker.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Sterling, Jesus, Aguero, Torres were City bench vs PSG yesterday.

Pulisic, Ziyech, CHO, Giroud, Tammy were Chelsea bench vs Real today.

Strong bench and that's why they are in two finals this season, CL & Cup Finals. City is likely to replace Aguero in the summer while Chelsea is likely to buy another attacker to replace Giroud/Abraham. Are we really going to allow ourselves stuck with Mata & James??

70m spent can turn into 20m by selling Lingard (25m) to West Ham & James (25m) to leeds.

devil99

There should be competition in the squad. Ole said as much referring to the trio of Rashford-Martial-Greenwood at the end of the last season. However, the competition cannot be Sancho vs Greenwood, two similarly aged boys who are both amazing talents, as one of them is bound to leave then. In this context only way it works is if we bring an experienced RW talent. And coming to Rashford, despite recent knee-jerking by this place, Rashford is actually quite good and he will leave in 5 minutes if he finds he is to be rotated next season, and all the top clubs would be in queue to buy him.

Simple thing is if you have on your books Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho, you got to have a plan to play them together for most of the season. And how? Does Greenwood play in the center ahead of Cavani (hopefully he is there)? Might be famous last words but we won't win anything with him playing as our central striker, he is not ready yet. And even Ole doesn't seem to be sure about that.

And then there is a small matter of young Diallo whose United career is basically ended if he has Greenwood AND Sancho ahead of him. AND assuming Martial is basically a back up player next season.

So all said and done, fitting Sancho in our team is quite difficult in my opinion and we should probably pass at the opportunity unless the plan is to play Greenwood as a striker.
None of them are prime Messi/Ronaldo. So whoever plays better will be the one playing most of the minutes. If some one leaves within 5 minutes of being rotated especially a club like Man Utd, happy to have them off the book. You don't want such a loser in the team.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Anything above £60m and I think we might be priced out. Seems as if no club is going to be spending much over £100m total this summer and I think the board will want a CB or CDM as well as Sancho.
If we going to sign Sancho, we are not signing anyone else. We simply don’t have that much funds, unless we sell. But other clubs may not have funds to buy our players either.

CG1010

None of them are prime Messi/Ronaldo. So whoever plays better will be the one playing most of the minutes. If some one leaves within 5 minutes of being rotated especially a club like Man Utd, happy to have them off the book. You don't want such a loser in the team.
Interesting that you mention Ronaldo. At the age of 18, he got Fergie to promise 50% appearances. No one of the calibre of Rashford/Greenwood/Sancho would be ok with rotation across a season. Would we want Sancho (who isn't prime Messi/Ronaldo either) at the cost of losing Rashford or Greenwood? I wouldn't for sure.

devil99

Interesting that you mention Ronaldo. At the age of 18, he got Fergie to promise 50% appearances. No one of the calibre of Rashford/Greenwood/Sancho would be ok with rotation across a season. Would we want Sancho (who isn't prime Messi/Ronaldo either) at the cost of losing Rashford or Greenwood? I wouldn't for sure.
For the best part of last two years Rashford seems to carry some sort of injury, never seems 100% fully fit.

Our team should never be in a position to include a player who is not fit enough.

If Sancho can perform better than either of them, I would want him in the team. Let them take Bruno position for all I care.

I just want best for the team which can happen only via healthy competition.

I understand the allure of seeing players from academy given chance over others and performing better.

But Rashford/Greenwood are here to serve Man Utd. Not the other way around.

Judas

Open to offers
Why would we lose either by signing Sancho? People seem to make up potential disasters to stop us building a squad capable of taking us back to the top. Strange stuff.

romufc

Why wouldn't they? Do you see any complaints from Sterling, KDB, Mahrez, Bernado? they all get rotated.

We were playing Juan Mata and Dan James in games earlier in the season, Sancho is an upgrade to both of them.

Rashford is playing on an injury for who knows how long. We need 4 quality players to fight for 3 places because injuries, loss of form happen.

If we want to be winning trophies, each player has to fight for their place in the team by the way of performances.

Devil may care

10 draws this season, 7 of those draws were 0-0. If we didn't force Rashford to play through his fatigue/injury and having better players than Mata & James in our XI in those games, majority of those draws would have been a win and we would have still in a title race now. Thus, why Sancho is priority in the way how Ole set up us to play. He has his own system/tactic, he doesn't use your system/tactic.
You aren't listening mate, for starters part of that is down to how long it's taken him to realize Pogba in the front 4 gives us the creative 2+2 balance in the instead of trying force him into the middle, he has discovered that now and his front 4 is as good as you'll see, I'm saying that the focus should now logically be on the midfield, it makes no sense to add more quality to the positions where you already have quality, while leaving the posiotons with your poorest players in it the same. You fix the midfield first where your options are bang average, then you buy another player for a front 4 that already has 7 quality options, you keep repeating that Ole wants to set-up the way we are, I'm not arguing he needs the balance, I'm saying you can keep that balance but improve the quality, take out McFred and add Rice and Tielemans and you get the same balance but with with better defensive positioning and better passing through the lines into the front 4, I am certain Ole knows this, you are mistaking McFred being his only two current options with him actually thinking they are good enough.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
He did? Genuinely curious where have you seen that?

Rolaholic

Why would we lose either by signing Sancho? People seem to make up potential disasters to stop us building a squad capable of taking us back to the top. Strange stuff.
Very strange indeed as if the best squads in the world aren't stocked with quality players. Same goes for the best sides in the clubs history...

We play an average of 55+ games per season, more than enough to find gametime for everyone

hubbuh

Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, and Diallo is young, pacy and packed full of technique. Amalgamate those with the likes of Cavani, Pogba and Bruno and that is a seriously powerful attacking outfit (oh yeah and Martial depending on his mood..). There are so many games and potential for injury nowadays that 7 players for 4 positions (at least) is absolutely fine. Just look at the benches of City and Chelsea. Get it done Murtough.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I have no confidence in us getting this deal done. Not really sure why, just feels like we're in for a rough summer.

Shimo

Any player, of high calibre or not should not be okay with being rotated - if they are then they certainly are not of the right mind set to be in a team that needs to be challenging for trophies/league titles.

If it's just a first XI that is of the highest level, then chances of winning meaningful trophies will be severely hampered. Just look at City's bench most games and will at least find 5-6 players that start other games without people thinking, they are not at full strength. When our options are often to bring on Dan James or an 18 year old work in progress talent to help win games, then a top player is going to wonder more, what's the point of sticking around if we don't have the quality to compete at the top.

Greenwood / Rashford know more than anyone else at the successful teams at United of the past, when we had Cole, Sheringham, Yorke and Ole or Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo and Berbatov - and that was just the forwards - they had wide players of high quality as well. Those are the teams that win the CL and league consistently. Not teams that put everything on the shoulders of a single starting XI and if they are off form or injured, then all bets are off.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You aren't listening mate, for starters part of that is down to how long it's taken him to realize Pogba in the front 4 gives us the creative 2+2 balance in the instead of trying force him into the middle, he has discovered that now and his front 4 is as good as you'll see, I'm saying that the focus should now logically be on the midfield, it makes no sense to add more quality to the positions where you already have quality, while leaving the posiotons with your poorest players in it the same. You fix the midfield first where your options are bang average, then you buy another player for a front 4 that already has 7 quality options, you keep repeating that Ole wants to set-up the way we are, I'm not arguing he needs the balance, I'm saying you can keep that balance but improve the quality, take out McFred and add Rice and Tielemans and you get the same balance but with with better defensive positioning and better passing through the lines into the front 4, I am certain Ole knows this, you are mistaking McFred being his only two current options with him actually thinking they are good enough.
Pogba has been playing in front four since the City & Aston Villa game last year and we were still in title race at that time with him in front four and McFred in midfield. My point is that we have been winning matches with the current midfield options. Pogba got injured, that’s when we started to drop our performance, and that’s what costing us the league this season.

If we sign Sancho, we don’t need to worry about us dropping our level when one of Pogba or Bruno injured. Sancho is a creative or playmaking winger, meaning he’s like Bruno and Pogba, a playmaker.

I would like to upgrade our midfield but what you don’t understand is that the system that Ole is playing relies on the balance of our front four. One of Pogba & Bruno injured, title race is over. The first key is to make sure we have alternative to maintain the 2+2 balance before upgrading the midfield.

James & Mata cannot be the alternative to provide the balance. Unless if I see Diallo steps up to be that alternative to maintain the 2+2 balance but we have yet seen that. Thus, why Sancho remains as more important target.

Rolaholic

That would make him our 3rd or 4th most expensive transfer, a far cry from the supposed 100m fee that keeps getting repeated in here

Quite hilarious if they sell for that given that they by all accounts rejected a £91.3m offer from us last summer the smug cnuts :lol:

Rob Bowman

This... by all means this. We need more quality. We finally have a spine to build on. Yes we need a DCM and a pacey CB but we NEED a RW.

cyberman

Strong bench and that's why they are in two finals this season, CL & Cup Finals. City is likely to replace Aguero in the summer while Chelsea is likely to buy another attacker to replace Giroud/Abraham. Are we really going to allow ourselves stuck with Mata & James??

70m spent can turn into 20m by selling Lingard (25m) to West Ham & James (25m) to leeds.
CHO, Tammy and Giroud isnt a strong bench though. Put that up against VDB, Greenwood and Martial and who do you pick?
I think Chelseas strength in depth is overplayed to force a point. If they were that strong then they wouldn't be floating between 4th and 5th in the league when depth is on show throughout a season.

laughtersassassin

That would make him our 3rd or 4th most expensive transfer, a far cry from the supposed 100m fee that keeps getting repeated in here

Quite hilarious if they sell for that given that they by all accounts rejected a £91.3m offer from us last summer the smug cnuts :lol:
Let's be honest that's a steal when compared to Maguire. And I'm someone who thinks Maguire is good.

Devil may care

Pogba has been playing in front four since the City & Aston Villa game last year and we were still in title race at that time with him in front four and McFred in midfield. My point is that we have been winning matches with the current midfield options. Pogba got injured, that’s when we started to drop our performance, and that’s what costing us the league this season.

If we sign Sancho, we don’t need to worry about us dropping our level when one of Pogba or Bruno injured. Sancho is a creative or playmaking winger, meaning he’s like Bruno and Pogba, a playmaker.

I would like to upgrade our midfield but what you don’t understand is that the system that Ole is playing relies on the balance of our front four. One of Pogba & Bruno injured, title race is over. The first key is to make sure we have alternative to maintain the 2+2 balance before upgrading the midfield.

James & Mata cannot be the alternative to provide the balance. Unless if I see Diallo steps up to be that alternative to maintain the 2+2 balance but we have yet seen that. Thus, why Sancho remains as more important target.
Pogba was playing in the midfield pivot prior to Christmas, then he got injured, his only sustained run in the front 4 has been since he returned from injury this year, we also have Van de Beek to add the creative balance, meanwhile we don't even have a decent starting option in midfield, to buy a player for £70M so you have 4 creators and 4 scorers in attack while only having 2 midfielders period, both of whom are mediocre, makes no sense, you keep going on about depth, if Fred or McTominay are injured we essentially have nobody, Matic is finished and Pogba doesn't work in the double pivot. What you're suggesting is having 4 Ferrari's and 4 back up Ferrari's, meanwhile we have 2 Skoda's in midfield and no cover at all, talk about lopsided, think about that, I refuse to believe Ole is that naive. Let me make this clear as we are going in circles, I don't give a feck if we buy Sancho or Raphina or whatever player you guys want to add so there's more shiny toys in an already 7 deep set of options, we can't go into the season with only 2 central midfielders, especially 2 that mediocre, and expect that to be sustainable, especially against this current City and a Chealsea and Liverpool that will no doubt strengthen their first 11, not just add more coats of paint.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I'd prefer a £68 million deal that had add ons of £10million.

Devil may care

CHO, Tammy and Giroud isnt a strong bench though. Put that up against VDB, Greenwood and Martial and who do you pick?
I think Chelseas strength in depth is overplayed to force a point. If they were that strong then they wouldn't be floating between 4th and 5th in the league when depth is on show throughout a season.
Exactly, City are the only team with freakish quality in depth.

theklr

While I agree with your point, this season they have been hampered by too many signings that needed time to adjust to PL and Lampard's inability to integrate/play them properly.

I'm sure they would have been comfortably inside 4th most of the season had Tuchel been there from the get go.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
All day, if it is player to player replacement, Pulisic/Ziyech/CHO over James & VDB to me.

Our Starting XI & regular players are better but their bench is better. I have been consistently saying this before the season started up to now.

Cavani > Giroud/Abraham
Rashford > Werner
Bruno > Mount
Greenwood = Havertz
Pogba > Kovacic/Kante

Martial/James/VDB/ < Pulisic/Ziyech/CHO

Remember, they are looking for player to replace Giroud/Abraham, those two are likely leaving and be replaced with much better player.

cyberman

All day Pulisic/Ziyech/CHO over James & VDB to me.

Our Starting XI & regular players are better but their bench is better.

Cavani > Giroud/Abraham
Rashford > Werner
Bruno > Mount
Greenwood = Havertz
Pogba > Kovacic/Kante

Bench:
Martial/James/VDB/ < Pulisic/Ziyech/CHO
Greenwood and Pogba doesnt start in the same side that often since its now Pogba left and Rashford moved across. Its just strange how Chelseas forwards are being lauded here when its been their weakest area under Tuchel. I wouldnt swap our attacking options for theirs, we simply score more goals than they do.
Tuchels side isnt being called boring because they have fantastic attacking flair, lets be honest about it. They have a pragmatic approach that works for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.