Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So when Haaland was playing, Dortmund couldnt muster up a win. Jadon comes back and it looks like he could be taking them into the CL.

#thedifference
you could see the lack of quality in the final third without Sancho in those games against City. Haaland looked clueless up there on his own and those around him lacked ability bar Bellingham

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
So when Haaland was playing, Dortmund couldnt muster up a win. Jadon comes back and it looks like he could be taking them into the CL.

#thedifference
He’s a remarkably gifted player. His stats PLUS his general ability to impact games are just proof of how good he is.

jesperjaap

I think the right wing is an odd one. James simply isnt good enough and if anything is better on the left. Greenwood is doing pretty well, I am in the camp he isnt really a winger though....and lets not forget he can also play on the left as cover for Rashford so it does open a starting spot.

Sancho is obviously a great talent......but one thing we do have to remember we have THREE young players coming through for that right wing spot. We have spent a lot on Amad, we have also invested in Pellestri and Shoetire seems to be very higly rated.

Our right wing has been poor for some time now and of course no evidence any of those three are ready yet. But it does seem a little strange we may be investing £80m+ on a right winger with so many options on the cusp of breaking through.

I would ideally like a quality centre back, two central midfielders for the pivot, a right winger and a striker. Sancho of course is probably the perfect signing for the right....but we cant fill all those positions this summer buying the top targets we see in the press, and the right wing and centre forward spots would both have to be huge investments in comparison to others most likely.

Either we try and find value with a couple of surprise signings in certain positions, we only make a couple of major signings, we make a few major sales (deGea/Pogba/Martial/VDB for example), we only fill a couple of the positions and rely on our youth for others....right wing is the only position of those for me we have players could be ready.

Personally, the major sales route is the one I would like but doubt I will see us take. I think the route we will take is Ole being happy with our centre backs and midfield and signing a right winger and striker, which will improve us but isnt enough

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Man's a machine. And he started the season poorly too.
I'm always wary of Bundasliga stats, that's the only thing. I like a lot of what I saw from him last season though, when they played Bayern and Barcelona.

laughtersassassin

I'm always wary of Bundasliga stats, that's the only thing. I like a lot of what I saw from him last season though, when they played Bayern and Barcelona.
Fair enough but his Bundesliga stats eclipse KDBs at a younger age

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
League quality is irrelevant. An 18 to 21 year old putting up those numbers for 3 seasons running is remarkable. Nobody else in that league is doing what he’s doing. It’s the same thing when Bruno Fernandes broke Lampard’s record for most goals from midfield at Sporting. Players of that quality will do well no matter where they go or what league they come from.

We’re not talking about some potential talented winger who’s a bit of a punt here, Sancho is genuinely one of the best attackers in football. He’s really that good.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
People said the same thing about Fernandes. Sometimes a player is just that good they'll do it anywhere. He's not exactly been poor in the CL either.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
People said the same thing about Fernandes. Sometimes a player is just that good they'll do it anywhere. He's not exactly been poor in the CL either.
Yep, Fernandes is brilliant. But anomalies will always exist where a player is killing it in an easier league and then looks half the player in the PL.
And I assume you don't think Sancho could do the same?
No, that's not what I said. I said I'm wary of Buldasliga stats. I point to Haller, Werner and Havertz as Bundasliga exports who have had a harder time. Pulisic too.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We tried last summer - we're not willing to pay the asking price.
Dortmund can't keep asking for the same price. The player wants. They'll lower their demands and we may meet the lower demands. Let's see. None of us can be sure of what we are willing to pay

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Fair enough.

Did he do it for 3 seasons running, though?
He had 21 goals in all competitions 3 years ago, I think Ralph Rangnick struggled with getting the best out of him for the year he was there, so he got 19 goals before Nagelsmann maximized his skills a lot better in the final season (34 in all comps).

I don't like talking abut isolated cases, as my point is more general. Bundasliga is a lot more open with higher lines, Shalke have conceded 80 goals in one campaign over there :lol:. It's a lot easier to boost stats, and that's not to say players should be ignored but just to take their domestic stats with a pinch of salt. Sancho will come in and do very well wherever he goes, but I'd be surprised if he manages similar numbers straight away.

Teja

IMO as a general principle anytime a player looks head and shoulders above other players in their team, or better yet, their league, it's worth a second look or a punt.

Bruno was stomping the Portuguese league, KdB was killing it in the Bundesliga (~1 G+A per game), same with Haaland in Austria, Salah in Serie A (~1 G+A per game) etc.

If you take a page from investing / bet sizing with things like the Kelly Criterion, you'll know how much to bet on each transfer as well. e.g., If you think players who stomp the Bundesliga have a 70% chance of translating that success into the PL, and your transfer budget this season is 150m, you should bet 40% of 150m ~= 60m or so on the player. Obviously this is a bit over simplified, there's still some work for the experts in terms of figuring out play style, how that fits into your team etc. etc. but the high level approach should be somewhat repeatable.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
IMO as a general principle anytime a player looks head and shoulders above other players in their team, or better yet, their league, it's worth a second look or a punt.

Bruno was stomping the Portuguese league, KdB was killing it in the Bundesliga (~1 G+A per game), same with Haaland in Austria, Salah in Serie A (~1 G+A per game) etc.

If you take a page from investing / bet sizing with things like the Kelly Criterion, you'll know how much to bet on each transfer as well. e.g., If you think players who stomp the Bundesliga have a 70% chance of translating that success into the PL, and your transfer budget this season is 150m, you should bet 40% of 150m ~= 60m or so on the player.
That can't really work across the board because each player comes with their own sets of circumstance. Haller was shit here, Morata was shit here (after Serie A), Werner was shit for a season and counting, Pulisic has not been great, etc. That said, Sancho being English probably rules out some variables which can affect poor form (like failing to settle into a new country). Chances are high that he will come here and do well but I don't expect the same numbers straight away.

mav_9me

He had 21 goals in all competitions 3 years ago, I think Ralph Rangnick struggled with getting the best out of him for the year he was there, so he got 19 goals before Nagelsmann maximized his skills a lot better in the final season (34 in all comps).

I don't like talking abut isolated cases, as my point is more general. Bundasliga is a lot more open with higher lines, Shalke have conceded 80 goals in one campaign over there :lol:. It's a lot easier to boost stats, and that's not to say players should be ignored but just to take their domestic stats with a pinch of salt. Sancho will come in and do very well wherever he goes, but I'd be surprised if he manages similar numbers straight away.
But we dont need him to produce same numbers right away.

We need him to add to our attack which he will do in many ways.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
But we dont need him to produce same numbers right away.

We need him to add to our attack which he will do in many ways.
I've never denied that. I'm just saying one should take Bundasliga stats with a pinch of salt.

mav_9me

I've never denied that. I'm just saying one should take Bundasliga stats with a pinch of salt.
100% agree with you. Their games are very open, more emphasis on attack with not much emphasis on defense. So attacking numbers are going to be inflated. Even performances are going to be inflated but nevertheless the quality is clear with Sancho.

laughtersassassin

The Werner for comparison isnt that concerning because Werner has actually got a decent amount of assist and gets in really good areas. He just misses sitters.

Sancho numbers are too good to be ignored. There isn't a better winger we can buy.

amolbhatia50k

Agree. But at the same time
  • They can't be disregarded completely. Sancho isn't a 25 years old hitting great numbers. He's 20 and has been setting records for a player of his age. It's more Hazard in league 1 than Mkhitarian in Bundesliga.
  • And then of course there is the actual quality of peformances. Leaving aside the goals, Sancho displays a technical level that only the elite winters in the planet have. Things like that just need the eye test really.

Brightonian

100% agree with you. Their games are very open, more emphasis on attack with not much emphasis on defense. So attacking numbers are going to be inflated. Even performances are going to be inflated but nevertheless the quality is clear with Sancho.
This. Both things are true. His numbers might not be as astronomical as they are in the Bundesliga, but his quality is undeniable regardless of where he's playing.

laughtersassassin

Seems most dangerous when in acres of space in counter attacking scenarios. Will be very different playing in the PL for Utd where teams will be double teaming you and playing compact.
He is a creative player with great body feints etc.

He will be fine

amolbhatia50k

Seems most dangerous when in acres of space in counter attacking scenarios. Will be very different playing in the PL for Utd where teams will be double teaming you and playing compact.
Given his technically abilities and passing, Sancho is exactly the kind of talent we need to beat the low block. He's no kick and run straight line pace merchant.

Status
Not open for further replies.