Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Telles, apparently Porto who had been insistent on a fixed price all summer caved to our offer. For what it's worth I also thought we should have moved on from that deal and was surprised when hardball worked.

Yeah we should have moved on from Sancho way earlier but it's somewhat placating that we eventually did and am excited to see what the new signings do. Dortmund can do one if they think anyone is paying more than what we offered. It was already a very generous offer
Totally different situation though. Telles contract is running out and Porto will loss him next summer for free, so we clearly have the upper hand. Sancho though, he still has 3 years with Dortmund, they are not in hurry to sell.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I've never been one to care too much about how much a club pays for a player. That's their call. The big clubs never really suffer too much from transfer fees anyway. I'm more interested in whether the player lives up to the hype at the new club. Like I mentioned on another thread, I can't shake a bad vibe about Sancho. His hype is that of one of the best players on the planet. But having watched all his England games and seen him in the Champions league, there's a good argument to be made that he's a bit overrated. Of course we'll have to see when he leaves Dortmund to see how it pans out, whatever his next destination is.
This is exactly how I feel. The more I see him the more I feel about that generic Dortmund type transfer. I want him here because he still is a young & potentially quality english player that played for our rivals and done well abroad - but I never shout out about him as if he is the player that takes us to the next step. I just dont see that in him. I've watched many games of his when I'm left a bit disappointed in what I saw - even when he scores or makes an assist.

blackhawk747

Supports
Carrick FC
The 120M fee should allocate to defense improvement and squad depth especially with the emergence of Greenwood.

thomas porter

Let's see how Facundo and Traore do this season and reassess on Sancho next summer. I'm not sure why exactly but I really think Facundo has some major potential as he's a rare combination of pace and trickiness that I like.

Cloud7

He reminds me of Alexis good old days with Udinese. I like those type of signings :drool:
We really should have gotten him before he went to Barcelona. Would have been quite an impactful signing for us I think.

cyril C

Are Coutinho & Griezman really worth their price tag? Hazard & Torres are never the same in their new clubs. I supposed you will never know until a sucker comes along. Ahh, and our Sanchez as well, never forget that.

Johnson Yip

I think some of us are falling to Woodward's trap. Yes, Sancho might be overpriced at £120 million but if the squad badly wants someone to compete properly, then we pay over the odds. It's as simple as that.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I think some of us are falling to Woodward's trap. Yes, Sancho might be overpriced at £120 million but if the squad badly wants someone to compete properly, then we pay over the odds. It's as simple as that.
There's not one single reason why United should just pay over the odds.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
The infamous English tax adds up to 50M to a transfer fee. AWB was 60M or something like that while a reasonable fee would have been 25M tops.

Glideman

No way on earth is Sancho worth that kind of money. He’s the type of signing that people will make threads a year later asking why did we pay over the odds and then pinning it on Ole.

Stacks

That's a different topic. I think it's definitely debatable if transfer fees in those spheres make sense. On the one hand, the past 15 years have been completely dominated by the clubs who had the two best players in their teams so it makes sense to spend big if you can sign a likely future Ballon D'Or winner. Then again Bayern and Liverpool have proven that you don't need to pay those crazy sums in order to stay competitive while the big money transfers in recent years have almost universally flopped.

Any way, you can't really argue the way you do in favor of the club if the very same club has overpaid on so many occasions in the past. If your officials think 80m for Maguire is a fair price then I don't understand why 120m for Sancho is too much in their eyes. In the pre-Corona market, Sancho should've been worth somewhere around 160m € while IMO Maguire should've been ~50-60m €. Very strange evaluations.
Not a single team would pay this for someone whose highlights are 2 seasons in the bundesliga. 160m is what you pay for Harry Kane. I don't even know if Sancho is better than Sane. Why would he cost so much?
He has only 2 seasons under his belt of tearing up Bundesliga defenses. :eek:

I think everyone at the club has come round to the idea that Harry Maguire was overvalued. That isn't the standard for all future United Transfers.

Stacks

The infamous English tax adds up to 50M to a transfer fee. AWB was 60M or something like that while a reasonable fee would have been 25M tops.
If they consume so much of your budget then steer clear. You can have talented youth players as your English contingent, like Chelsea do and us to a degree.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Not a single team would pay this for someone whose highlights are 2 seasons in the bundesliga. 160m is what you pay for Harry Kane. I don't even know if Sancho is better than Sane. Why would he cost so much?
He has only 2 seasons under his belt of tearing up Bundesliga defenses. :eek:

I think everyone at the club has come round to the idea that Harry Maguire was overvalued. That isn't the standard for all future United Transfers.
I mean, it's not only Maguire. You also paid a world record fee of >100m for Paul Pogba who was never in the same talent region as Sancho and that sum was before prices exploded. And you paid 85m for Lukaku and 60m for Fred. No offense but many of your transfers seem far too expensive. That should never become the standard and I hope for you guys that this won't continue but it definitely feels strange that you guys valued those players so highly but suddenly think Sancho isn't worth 120m.

And yes, thats what you pay for a Harry Kane, Eden Hazard or Coutinho but that's also what you pay for a Dembele, Joao Felix or Kai Havertz. If the Bundesliga isn't enough proof for you or you only want to pay such fees for more established players, that's fair but there are enough clubs out there who see it differently. Personally, I believe 120m for Sancho would've been the best value for money transfer you made in recent years when you only look at 40+m transfers.

it’s really not an English tax, more like a PL tax, hence why you see non English players moving for big money between PL clubs.

the reason AWB cost so much was because Palace didn’t need to sell him for less. The same with Zaha. The same with Maguire at Leicester.

Look at Richarlson, or VVD, or Sigerdson (spelling!), and many others. Torres a few years ago.

it’s because even the smaller PL teams have a lot of money.

the PL experience factor has a far far Bugger impact than nationality.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Players far more proven than Sancho had gone for over 100+ millions and have failed to justify their fees. So in light of such knowledge why would it have been wise for us to fork that amount of money knowing it's a ridiculous risk unlikely to pay off and justify the astonomical fee.

After watching Barcelona piss away all their Neymar money forking 100+ millions for players for it to then come back and bite them right away, one should exercise caution when dealing with such high figures.

Countinho, Griezman, Dembele, Felix, Hazard are all players gone for ridiculous 100+ millions and have all so far proven poor investments, and we're including players far proven and at a level above Sancho in the likes of Hazard and Griezman. What makes people it would have been wise to just splur 120m on Sancho?

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
No where near 120m,

Real market value =60m-70m
English tax =30m-40m
United tax =>30m

In defense of Dortmund. I think a player is worth how much a selling club is willing to sale and how much a buying club is willing to pay.

Bestietom

With England, he is certainly not a million euro player. Hope the 2 new signings hit it off and we can move on to a new CB and DM.

Snuffkin

He looks like a poor mans Greenwood, anyone can shine in Dortmund, no pressure, no paparazzi

Bestietom

There is "Value for Money Players" out there, and we shouldn't have to be breaking the transfer record for players every window.
VdB is a top class player and a bargain for what we paid for him. If the scouts are doing their job right, these are the sort of signings we should be making each window, not chasing dead horses, for 100s of millions.
I say dead horses meaning we were never going to get the player. Each window is the same.

Last edited:

Stacks

I mean, it's not only Maguire. You also paid a world record fee of >100m for Paul Pogba who was never in the same talent region as Sancho and that sum was before prices exploded. And you paid 85m for Lukaku and 60m for Fred. No offense but many of your transfers seem far too expensive. That should never become the standard and I hope for you guys that this won't continue but it definitely feels strange that you guys valued those players so highly but suddenly think Sancho isn't worth 120m.

And yes, thats what you pay for a Harry Kane, Eden Hazard or Coutinho but that's also what you pay for a Dembele, Joao Felix or Kai Havertz. If the Bundesliga isn't enough proof for you or you only want to pay such fees for more established players, that's fair but there are enough clubs out there who see it differently. Personally, I believe 120m for Sancho would've been the best value for money transfer you made in recent years when you only look at 40+m transfers.
Pardon? Pogba was a STAR player for the best team in Serie A. Pogba was voted top 7 Balon D'or and France regular. Do you live in a bubble? Pogba was far more proven than Jadon and had a bidding war with Madrid.

Lukaku cost 74m and that's because goal scorers are charged at a premium. He has shown he can score goals everywhere he goes, including International level. His price was justified. Jadon is on the fringes of England team and we aren't that good!

You keep bumping up the fees but Fred cost £47 mill which was overpriced. That said, he has played more seasons and Jadon and typically players numbers drop when they move from Germany to England.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Let's see how Facundo and Traore do this season and reassess on Sancho next summer. I'm not sure why exactly but I really think Facundo has some major potential as he's a rare combination of pace and trickiness that I like.
Do you think Facundo is that fast? That’s something I don’t feel I’ve seen from him.

Stacks

Pardon? Pogba was a STAR player for the best team in Serie A. Pogba was voted top 7 Balon D'or and France regular. Do you live in a bubble? Pogba was far more proven than Jadon and had a bidding war with Madrid.

Lukaku cost 74m and that's because goal scorers are charged at a premium. He has shown he can score goals everywhere he goes, including International level. His price was justified. Jadon is on the fringes of England team and we aren't that good!

You keep bumping up the fees but Fred cost £47 mill which was overpriced. That said, he has played more seasons and Jadon and typically players numbers drop when they move from Germany to England.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Who do you mean exactly? The bolded certainly isn't the case for de Bruyne, Son, Aubameyang, Firmino and Sané. Some of them even put up better numbers in the EPL than in the Bundesliga. And Sancho is already better than any single one of them was in Germany.

And yes, Pogba was more proven, no doubt. But I don't think many thought of him as a future Ballon D'Or winner. In contrast Sancho currently is the most promising youngster in the world alongside Mbappe and maybe Haaland. He has 80 scorers in 102 professional games as a 20 year old. People see him as a potential heir to the throne of Messi and Ronaldo. The club that gets him eventually may profit from this signing for the next decade, putting the fee in perspective. I don't think that's comparable to Pogba. Especially since the 100m you paid for him four years ago would be more like 150m in the market we witnessed before Corona kicked in.

So I'm sorry but in my opinion you drastically overpaid for many of your big money signings. And my impression is that you built up a certain reputation for doing so by now.

Irrational.

I think his valuation has hit its peak. I can't see him fetching a similar price next summer especially if his figures drop (which can be usual for a young player).

For €120 you'd expect a freakish talent in the Mbappe mould, and Sancho is nowhere near that.

Stacks

Who do you mean exactly? The bolded certainly isn't the case for de Bruyne, Son, Aubameyang, Firmino and Sané. Some of them even put up better numbers in the EPL than in the Bundesliga. And Sancho is already better than any single one of them was in Germany.

And yes, Pogba was more proven, no doubt. But I don't think many thought of him as a future Ballon D'Or winner. In contrast Sancho currently is the most promising youngster in the world alongside Mbappe and maybe Haaland. He has 80 scorers in 102 professional games as a 20 year old. People see him as a potential heir to the throne of Messi and Ronaldo. The club that gets him eventually may profit from this signing for the next decade, putting the fee in perspective. I don't think that's comparable to Pogba. Especially since the 100m you paid for him four years ago would be more like 150m in the market we witnessed before Corona kicked in.

So I'm sorry but in my opinion you drastically overpaid for many of your big money signings. And my impression is that you built up a certain reputation for doing so by now.
Ok. It's about half half. More so Dortmund players. Auba is not having 40 goal seasons anymore.

Maybe in Germany you see him as the heir to Messi and Ronaldo but most of us English don't even care if he starts for England. I am yet to see him show more than Rashford or Sterling!

then we need to break the chain!

Last edited:

the chameleon

If Mbappe is 360 million euros, surely Sancho is £100 million.

Even though I was disappointed with us not signing him. The price tag and the hype would have been heavy on him.

Maybe some of these low key signings like Pellistri and Dialla might thrive and impress with less pressure than Sancho.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Ok. It's about half half. More so Dortmund players. Auba is not having 40 goal seasons anymore.

Maybe in Germany you see him as the heir to Messi and Ronaldo but most of us English don't even care if he starts for England. I am yet to see him show more than Rashford or Sterling!

then we need to break the chain!
Well, he's 20. He's probably not the same category of talent as the two cracks are but who is? He's the biggest talent I've seen in the Bundesliga and considering the development lesser players have taken after leaving Germany, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to become a Ballon D'Or contender in the future. IMO he already was the best player in the league last season and that's although the Bundesliga featured players like Lewandowski, Reus or Thiago. I don't think Rashford or Sterling could reproduce his numbers in the Bundesliga, for example. Sancho's dribbling, passing and game reading ability is exceptional, IMO.

But yeah, I can totally understand if you guys don't want to see United paying so much money on single players. As I said earlier, there are many big money flops in the recent past (Coutinho, Dembele, possibly Hazard and Griezmann) and the strategy Liverpool and Bayern e. g. pursued seems more successful currently.

Phil

Hysterical morons were insufferable during the transfer window, especially on social platforms like twitter etc.

All those idiots who went on disparaging the club because they weren't stupid enough to pay 120m to Dortmund. After watching all these clubs get fleeced paying 100+ millions the past few years to then quickly see their investments wasted why would any club be willing to fork that amount easily.

Dortmund have already fleeced Barca and I'm glad we weren't dumb to play their stupid game.
Kinda feels like these idiots are concerned that we weren't addressing a 5 year+ RW problem, regardless of who the target was. If we aren't going to spend the money on Sancho then let's go ahead and identify someone else at a cheaper price and buy them, rather than dithering and going back and forth all summer and not addressing the problem. No Sancho isn't the only RW in the world that could improve us.

Stacks

Well, he's 20. He's probably not the same category of talent as the two cracks are but who is? He's the biggest talent I've seen in the Bundesliga and considering the development lesser players have taken after leaving Germany, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to become a Ballon D'Or contender in the future. IMO he already was the best player in the league last season and that's although the Bundesliga featured players like Lewandowski, Reus or Thiago. I don't think Rashford or Sterling could reproduce his numbers in the Bundesliga, for example. Sancho's dribbling, passing and game reading ability is exceptional, IMO.

But yeah, I can totally understand if you guys don't want to see United paying so much money on single players. As I said earlier, there are many big money flops in the recent past (Coutinho, Dembele, possibly Hazard and Griezmann) and the strategy Liverpool and Bayern e. g. pursued seems more successful currently.
Really? Over Kroos, Muller, Ozil, De Bruyne and all the other German international winners you have produced?

fair enough and I respect your opinion. He is a very good play maker. I just need a bit more convincing.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
@Zehner

I'm not going to pretend like I watch the bundesliga as much as you. You say Sancho is the most talented player you've seen in the Bundesliga.

What exactly makes you think of him in this way?

I watch him and I see some great dribbling ability and some ability for a short through ball after a run - not really much else. Maybe some good cut back crosses. I've hardly seen a long distance goal or an exceptionally wonder goal either - the goals seem to be a part of Dortmunds team gameplay and talent as much as his own ie tap ins and cut backs etc.

I keep wanting to understand the hype of Sancho as a 100 million player- I just always end up struggling.

Fosu-Mens

For our current team? No chance. The times we would be able to safely give him the ball in good positions would be few as we are terrible at progressing the ball and keeping possession.

When we get a new manager that can coach our team to do the elements mentioned above better, then yes, he would definetively be worth it as he is among the best in the would at opening up defences and creating chances.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Really? Over Kroos, Muller, Ozil, De Bruyne and all the other German international winners you have produced?

fair enough and I respect your opinion. He is a very good play maker. I just need a bit more convincing.
Yes. The only one that compares to him in terms of raw talent, IMO, is Götze who was unfortunately ruined by his sickness.

@Zehner

I'm not going to pretend like I watch the bundesliga as much as you. You say Sancho is the most talented player you've seen in the Bundesliga.

What exactly makes you think of him in this way?

I watch him and I see some great dribbling ability and some ability for a short through ball after a run - not really much else. Maybe some good cut back crosses. I've hardly seen a long distance goal or an exceptionally wonder goal either - the goals seem to be a part of Dortmunds team gameplay and talent as much as his own ie tap ins and cut backs etc.

I keep wanting to understand the hype of Sancho as a 100 million player- I just always end up struggling.
Why do you think long distance goals are important? I mean, even the best long shot takers are still very unlikely to convert a shot from the distance. It's not a sustainable pattern to score goals, more of a desparation attempt.

Sancho right now is probably the best dribbler in the Bundesliga. He's got insanely good close control, he's got great short passing and most importantly he's got the intelligence. He's already crazily productive and one reason for that is that he reads the game very well. He knows how to end up in dangerous positions (something you as a Ronaldo fan should rate, I think), he knows how to play subtle passes that advance the attack, he knows when to dribble and how to create superiority from that. Especially the last part is something in which he has drastically improved. In the beginning he was a player with outrageous dribbling skills but he rarely used them efficiently. That has changed by now.

So in a nutshell, he's got top class abilities in the most important aspects for an offensive player (dribbling, short passing) and he also already knows how to utilize those assets. And he's very mature for his age, rarely makes mistakes (like e. g. Dembele, Rashford or even Mbappe who IMO still have too many bad touches and dumb decisions in their game) and has already achieved a high level of consistency. Personally, he reminds me of Neymar a lot with his ability to beat a player, make great passes and still maintain a high level of output. There are very few players who combine all these things at such a young age.

Trex

The thing with Sancho is if you look at any of the top EPL wide men they are superior to him in either pace or power or both(Mane,Sterling,Salah,Son)it influence how he plays in isolation, I've mainly watched him play for England and in the UCL,no doubt he got vision,intelligence and a good technique but he doesn't look dominantfor a winger. it's so important he has a teammate close to link up with someone to play on his wavelength,its why he tends to drift centrally.plus I don't really see much tenacity in his play, I like him but for 120m it would be another Pogba scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.