Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacks

Yes. The only one that compares to him in terms of raw talent, IMO, is Götze who was unfortunately ruined by his sickness.

Why do you think long distance goals are important? I mean, even the best long shot takers are still very unlikely to convert a shot from the distance. It's not a sustainable pattern to score goals, more of a desparation attempt.

Sancho right now is probably the best dribbler in the Bundesliga. He's got insanely good close control, he's got great short passing and most importantly he's got the intelligence. He's already crazily productive and one reason for that is that he reads the game very well. He knows how to end up in dangerous positions (something you as a Ronaldo fan should rate, I think), he knows how to play subtle passes that advance the attack, he knows when to dribble and how to create superiority from that. Especially the last part is something in which he has drastically improved. In the beginning he was a player with outrageous dribbling skills but he rarely used them efficiently. That has changed by now.

So in a nutshell, he's got top class abilities in the most important aspects for an offensive player (dribbling, short passing) and he also already knows how to utilize those assets. And he's very mature for his age, rarely makes mistakes (like e. g. Dembele, Rashford or even Mbappe who IMO still have too many bad touches and dumb decisions in their game) and has already achieved a high level of consistency. Personally, he reminds me of Neymar a lot with his ability to beat a player, make great passes and still maintain a high level of output. There are very few players who combine all these things at such a young age.
You make him sound a lot like Sterling and a bit of Hazard

Stacks

Part of my worry for Jadon is personal too. he grew up where my dad and Nan are from and my cousin knows his sister. I rout for him on this basis and it would annoy me if he came to United and didn't live up to expectations as he is a local lad for me. We are all behind him like he is one of the guys. I guess I just need convincing that he would be a hit here at United.

ThinkTank@Cafe

No, no one is worth £100.000.000 right now. The industry is experiencing harsh times. It’s cash vs asset. Cash will always win in crises.

hanovercigars

It seems as though Sancho has had a lot of good/very good games for Borussia Dortmund. His England appearances have been underwhelming at best. Is the team, management and coaching set up at Manchester United resemble more like England's or is it more like Dortmund's. If it's more like England's then his performances for United would probably be underwhelming when taking into account the £100M fee.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You make him sound a lot like Sterling and a bit of Hazard

Yes, those two are good comparisons. His style is a little bit different though. Hazard and Sterling are very straight forward no nonsense type of dribblers who primarily use body feints and acceleration, a bit like Messi. Sancho does that, too, but he also likes doing skill moves and other fancy stuff with the ball if the option is on the table. Maybe a mixture of those two and Neymar. He's got less top speed than Sterling, though.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Even under normal circumstances 120 mil would be incredibly high. But with covid cases increasing again and a lot of countries being close to a 2nd lockdown no one is paying even close to that amount next summer either.

BR7

No, he isn’t but in today’s inflated prices he is worth around 70-75 mil. Moot point, if the young lad Amad steps in when/if he arrives I think he’ll be the one everyone’s talking about and we’ll forget about Jordan whatever his name was

Fridge chutney

Lukaku cost 74m and that's because goal scorers are charged at a premium. He has shown he can score goals everywhere he goes, including International level. His price was justified. Jadon is on the fringes of England team and we aren't that good!
It's also worth noting that we sold Lukaku for 80m euros, thus recouping our fee for him, so it's not only United who valued him highly.

Buying VDB for 40m euros and getting a reduced fee for Bruno 6 months later shows that Harry Maguire is not the benchmark that United want to be setting for prices in the transfer market.

He'sRaldo

No, he isn’t but in today’s inflated prices he is worth around 70-75 mil. Moot point, if the young lad Amad steps in when/if he arrives I think he’ll be the one everyone’s talking about and we’ll forget about Jordan whatever his name was
That's how it works isn't it. Very soon there will be a next new big thing and Sancho could very well be forgotten.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
That's how it works isn't it. Very soon there will be a next new big thing and Sancho could very well be forgotten.
For sure, we've gone through windows wanting the likes of De Ligt, Griezmann, Fabinho etc. There's always someone new each window. Let's hope Amad Diallo solves this problem for RW.

Stacks

Yes, those two are good comparisons. His style is a little bit different though. Hazard and Sterling are very straight forward no nonsense type of dribblers who primarily use body feints and acceleration, a bit like Messi. Sancho does that, too, but he also likes doing skill moves and other fancy stuff with the ball if the option is on the table. Maybe a mixture of those two and Neymar. He's got less top speed than Sterling, though.
I rate Sterling by the way. I wonder if Jadon would be as flamboyant in the premier league or if he would be more reserved like in England games. Jadon says Rashford is the most skillful player he has seen

Green_Red

Considering we sold Ronaldo for 80 million after winning two league titles, a European Cup and a Balon Dor would suggest that 100 million for a player just because he has potential is absolute madness. We paid 50 for Martial who is better than Sancho in my opinion.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
For sure, we've gone through windows wanting the likes of De Ligt, Griezmann, Fabinho etc. There's always someone new each window. Let's hope Amad Diallo solves this problem for RW.
This is very accurate. There is always someone whom everyone clamour about and act as if not having him is the end of the word then when we don't get them we eventually end up moving on to the next new guy to thirst over.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
The way I look at it, there are only a handful of players in the game today who will give you roughly 20 goals and 20 assists and Sancho is one of them. The others are DeBruyne and Messi and they are either in their prime, or on the wrong side of 30. So how much is a 20 year old worth who is in the same company as those two only much younger???

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I rate Sterling by the way. I wonder if Jadon would be as flamboyant in the premier league or if he would be more reserved like in England games. Jadon says Rashford is the most skillful player he has seen
I think there's no denying Rashford is skillful. IMO he has other issues and that is his consistency both over the course of a season as well as over 90 minutes. Rashford can have an outrageous play only to follow through with a few possession losses that leave you scratching your head. It's the same with Dembele.

I haven't watched much of England recently (although you guys have an incredibly exciting squad on paper) but I think Sancho needs a well drilled team around him. Dortmund brings him in many situations in which he can shine. He also can create on his own through a dribbling or great pass but that's generally not a very sustainable approach, especially against better teams. Not even Messi or Neymar can pull that off regularly and are usually very anonymous when their own team is being outclassed by the opponent. Sancho is no different. Cut his supply off and he struggles.

Stacks

The way I look at it, there are only a handful of players in the game today who will give you roughly 20 goals and 20 assists and Sancho is one of them. The others are DeBruyne and Messi and they are either in their prime, or on the wrong side of 30. So how much is a 20 year old worth who is in the same company as those two only much younger???
I am not convinced that will be the normal output in England for him. Again like Bebestation says, every time I watched him I wasn't blown away like I am seeing some once in a lifetime star talent. The sad thing is this is kinda what I felt every time I watched Pogba before we got him. going by highlights, international and CL games.

Stacks

I think there's no denying Rashford is skillful. IMO he has other issues and that is his consistency both over the course of a season as well as over 90 minutes. Rashford can have an outrageous play only to follow through with a few possession losses that leave you scratching your head. It's the same with Dembele.

I haven't watched much of England recently (although you guys have an incredibly exciting squad on paper) but I think Sancho needs a well drilled team around him. Dortmund brings him in many situations in which he can shine. He also can create on his own through a dribbling or great pass but that's generally not a very sustainable approach, especially against better teams. Not even Messi or Neymar can pull that off regularly and are usually very anonymous when their own team is being outclassed by the opponent. Sancho is no different. Cut his supply off and he struggles.
Well that's your answer then. United are not a well drilled team and pretty much rely on induvial ability to get us over the line each game. He sounds like he would be amazing at Liverpool and underperform at United. Maybe he would be great at City too.

looking at the highlights I am just happy seeing him doing well in a foreign country, away from the pressure and scrutiny of the English press and making a good name for British talent

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Well that's your answer then. United are not a well drilled team and pretty much rely on induvial ability to get us over the line each game. He sounds like he would be amazing at Liverpool and underperform at United. Maybe he would be great at City too.

looking at the highlights I am just happy seeing him doing well in a foreign country, away from the pressure and scrutiny of the English press and making a good name for British talent
I mean, it's not like there's a player who profits from playing in a distorted team. I'm pretty sure that every single one of your attackers would look much better if you'd be playing as a unit in a working and cohesive collective system. But I agree that your most urging issues are of a different nature. In general your squad, at least in attack, is very strong and should be playing much better than it is. I think Sancho would still improve you because he's even better than your current options but he wouldn't look like a 120m player either.

IMO some of your players are simply in dire need of proper coaching and I've got the feeling Sancho would experience the same.

Stacks

I mean, it's not like there's a player who profits from playing in a distorted team. I'm pretty sure that every single one of your attackers would look much better if you'd be playing as a unit in a working and cohesive collective system. But I agree that your most urging issues are of a different nature. In general your squad, at least in attack, is very strong and should be playing much better than it is. I think Sancho would still improve you because he's even better than your current options but he wouldn't look like a 120m player either.

IMO some of your players are simply in dire need of proper coaching and I've got the feeling Sancho would experience the same.
what are your thoughts on Haaland?

Gonçalo Motta

Of course not. There's a difference between the current value of the player and the potencial value. 120M is based on the potential value alone and it seems way over the top even if he becomes world class.

In the current market a more accurate value based on what he proved so far, age and likely potential that we will reach would be between the 60M-80M mark. More than that is overpaying and killing the chance of a profit if we sell him in case he doesn't meet the expectations and underperforms

Kinda the same mistake Atlético did with Felix

The Irish Connection

Let’s hope your man Diallo Traore plays well straight away so we might be able to put the money towards a top center back and defensive midfielder.

Cloud7

Part of my worry for Jadon is personal too. he grew up where my dad and Nan are from and my cousin knows his sister. I rout for him on this basis and it would annoy me if he came to United and didn't live up to expectations as he is a local lad for me. We are all behind him like he is one of the guys. I guess I just need convincing that he would be a hit here at United.
All these connections and you couldn’t find out for us during the summer if it was SanchON or SanchOFF

giggs-beckham

Clueless
So maybe Woodward isn't as bad hes being made out to be with the wages and agents fees on top. Hasn't he protected the long term welfare of United in this climate? Unpopular opinion.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I am not convinced that will be the normal output in England for him. Again like Bebestation says, every time I watched him I wasn't blown away like I am seeing some once in a lifetime star talent. The sad thing is this is kinda what I felt every time I watched Pogba before we got him. going by highlights, international and CL games.
The thing is, he's only 20 years old. He's done those kind of numbers for two years in a row as a teenager. It's not like a bunch of other people are doing the same. This kid is the real deal. I just wonder what it's going to take to get Southgate to realize that...

Dan_F

So maybe Woodward isn't as bad hes being made out to be with the wages and agents fees on top. Hasn't he protected the long term welfare of United in this climate? Unpopular opinion.
I don’t think too many people were surprised that we didn’t get Sancho, and most are on reflection quite understanding. I think it’s the fact that we let it go to the last day, while we could have just walked and got in replacements at the start of the season (Cavani would be fit now).

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
what are your thoughts on Haaland?
I think the general image of Haaland is quite accurate. He's an incredible goal scorer. Incredible top speed, great shooting technique and composure as well as brillant off the ball movement. His technique is very efficient. At times he comes across as a little bit clumsy on the ball as he's not the most agile but he's already improved in that regard.

Personally, he reminds me a lot of the late version of Cristiano. He's obviously not as good technically but I believe Ronaldo's biggest assets in his later years were/are his incredible finishing with the head and both feet as well as his off the ball movement. Especially in the box, Haaland looks similar to him. The way he fakes a run to the long post only to cancel it and attack the short post is very reminiscent of CR7, IMO. He just gets into goal scoring opportunities time and again and has the finishing quality to capitalize on it. Can't judge his work ethics, obviously, but from what the media report it seems as if he's similarly ambitious and professional.

However, I think his influence on the pitch outside of his goals is limited due to his technique not being anything special. Due to that it feels weird to me if people compare him to R9 or something like that. He's got the goal scoring prowess but he's your typical striker and at least for me doesn't have the potential to be a GOAT contender or anything like that. For what it's worth, I'll have him behind Sancho, Joao Felix etc. in terms of talent. I also think he's already quite close to his ceiling since his game is already incredible mature.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The 'pay whatever it takes' gang during the transfer window were wrong either way.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
The thing is, he's only 20 years old. He's done those kind of numbers for two years in a row as a teenager. It's not like a bunch of other people are doing the same. This kid is the real deal. I just wonder what it's going to take to get Southgate to realize that...
Southgate actually sees him in training, yet people seem to think they a better judges of talent. Odd.

redshaw

Not worth it right now for anyone. Said a while back United would baulk at the price. 80-90m feels top end currently.

Obviously the climate is not good and we could see the game shutdown again if health services are stretched. I highlighted in the summer United will have to look at rising cases near the end of this year and here we are .

Sadly for United even without covid we're not in a good position to make very good use and develop the player further. The history of spending 90m+ around Europe is not good. We have a lot of issues are unable to spend our way out of problems. Would be an excellent player to have no doubt but just out of our reach. Prising Pogba and Maguire for huge sums doesn't make up for poor management.

Unfortunately for Dortmund it seems Barca are not going to be splashing over a 100m anytime soon. Real may have sights on others. There's PSG and not much else so if Sancho doesn't fancy PSG and they want to cash in one day I think it will be sub 100m. Maybe a big cash injection into the market could happen from one of these oil state clubs that could in turn pay over 100m for Sancho indirectly. People citing Dembele and Coutinho, they we're from PSG money washing around. Atletico take a gamble and put the money they just got on Felix hoping to continue on with the market on a high.

Mr PG

There's a reason City, Bayern, Chelsea didn't go for Sancho. Nobody wants to pay 100m for a winger. That money should be saved for a proper no.9 now that we have a few more wingers. Amad Traore looks currently at a higher level at 18 than Sancho was 2 yrs ago. Not saying he will reach same level but he doesn't have to. We need a top level no.9 and top level defensive midfielder...remember when Matic hit his heights when we signed him we finished second.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If nobody wants to pay 100 million for him that's good for us as he will be leaving either way.

032Devil

United don't understand bartering. Pay the price or not. United's moral arguement re Coronavirus is superfluous.

el3mel

There's no player who worth that sum, but we splashed 80m on Harry fecking Maguire last season to be honest so we aren't in position to speak.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
I just can't see him being worth £100m of even half of that personally. The media go hysterical because he is a good English player, if he was from outside the UK, it would be a totally different story ;) it's always the same.

Frank White

I just can't see him being worth £100m of even half of that personally. The media go hysterical because he is a good English player, if he was from outside the UK, it would be a totally different story ;) it's always the same.
Not really. Dembele was over a 100m was he not? Even Pepe was 72 mil, personally don't think he's worth over 100 but i can see why Dortmund value him at that .

Status
Not open for further replies.