Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloud7

I like the idea of making the correct decisions. Something we are massively lacking.

He’s definitely not worth over 100m though. I can’t believe clubs buy into hype and often overpay by multiple tens of millions, but it definitely happens, and I’m glad it didn’t to us here. He’s got 70m written all over him.
You're not wrong there, but, I like a specific type of wide player, so I'll always be biased towards a Ronaldo/Di Maria/Robben type rather than a Mata type. That's not to say I would be disappointed if we got him, but definitely not at the prices they were quoting. I think Dortmund lost out on their opportunity to make a good profit off of him, and when he eventually does go, it will be for significantly less than they wanted. Probably even less than we were offering.

Idxomer

That was the point at which I started questioning if this transfer was right for us. The way he was described, it sounded like he was a somewhat more agile Mata. The question really is, what do we need in this team right now? Rash, Martial and Greenwood are all strikers, even if they can play out wide they aren't proper wide players. I'd say a Ronaldo type winger would be more beneficial for the team. I'm becoming increasingly glad we didn't splurge out that amount of money on Sancho.
I think this team needs a winger who's consistent on the ball who makes the right decisions most of the time, this team suffers severely from lacking a focal point in the attack that doesn't lose the ball consistently which contributes to the team's high turnovers.

This could be also a reason Ole went back again to Mata this season.

Strelok

I think this team needs a winger who's consistent on the ball who makes the right decisions most of the time, this team suffers severely from lacking a focal point in the attack that doesn't lose the ball consistently which contributes to the team's high turnovers.

This could be also a reason Ole went back again to Mata this season.
And we can see what look like making the right decisions without the ability to do it I guess.

Facing a low block you'd need either a great dribbler, a great crosser or passer to make a difference. Making the right decision if you can do none of the above will be a back or sideway pass. We already have a number of players who are really good with that I think.

Red00012

Grealish would be over £100m as well now. We have a knack of waiting until their price has sky rocketed.
To be fair I think we would have got Grealish had they been relegated , the minute they survived they knew they could get him on a better contract.

Widow

Grealish looks the more complete player. He reminds me of what Pogba should be like. Can beat a man from a stand still position with skill not pace, pick a pass and has a good shot in him.

Leave Sancho and work on Grealish

Gabagoo

Said it before, will say it again: regardless of his current market value, United could buy far cheaper alternatives that would still massively improve upon Juan Mata or Dan fcking James.

This summer we could have bought Saint-Maximin and Said Benrahma for less than £100m.

As it is now, I think we should first sell James and Mata (that should be obvious) and then go for someone like Leon Bailey, Saint-Maximin or even Ivan Perisic.

And promote Anthony Elanga who looks like everything we could want in a young winger (finally).

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If he came here he to play RW he would play a bit like Antonio Valencia's Goalscoring first season at best.

Son

Tbf to our board most of our fans were crying we pay £120 million for him, me included!

I’ve noticed of late while it hasn’t helped us this season for sure it was smart business sense if we get him for half that next time.

Incredible footballer but in these times it would have been silly really from our club doing the deal this year. Any other year overpaying is maybe acceptable but not right now.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
To be fair I think we would have got Grealish had they been relegated , the minute they survived they knew they could get him on a better contract.
Yeah that seems to have been the case. Relegated and Grealish would have wanted to stay in the EPL/maybe Villa would have needed the money (although they have a fairly wealthy owner iirc) but the moment they survived it was doing to be a priority for them to keep him or only sell at a highly inflated price (that has just gotten even higher this season!)

treble_winner

Yeah that seems to have been the case. Relegated and Grealish would have wanted to stay in the EPL/maybe Villa would have needed the money (although they have a fairly wealthy owner iirc) but the moment they survived it was doing to be a priority for them to keep him or only sell at a highly inflated price (that has just gotten even higher this season!)
Ironically, Grealish was the one blocking his own transfer when he played out of his skin to keep Villa in the Premier League. He knew full well this would be the outcome. :lol:

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Ironically, Grealish was the one blocking his own transfer when he played out of his skin to keep Villa in the Premier League. He knew full well this would be the outcome. :lol:
Again, agreed :lol:

but it shows you the quality and mental toughness of the lad. Really becoming a big fan of his. Anyway, not to derail here.

redshaw

When Grealish went off against Ireland Sancho still couldn't really stand out.

drmuji

I guess you have to look at the previous sales trends. Just before Covid, the prices of players were rising at an alarming rate and there was so no stopping them.
Also, a lot of players were being valued at ridiculous prices in last 2 to 3 years. I mean if Higuaine costed more than 90, anything would be possible. Hell, Fred costed 52 million and Mcguire costed 80. Ousmane Dembele was 105, which Dortmund sold during that golden era of selling players at high prices.
But suddenly after Covid things started to change. Clubs who were big but didn't have sugar daddies -- which had Romans or Shiekhs as their first names -- were badly hit. In fact, to my knowledge, clubs like Barcas and Madrids and Juves (who already were walking a tight rope) were hit alot.
The financial situation of a lot of clubs has gotten worse and it certainly seems to me that it will keep getting worse until fans are allowed back in. It was very stupid and daft of Dortmund to be so stubborn about asking that high sale price of Sancho. Also, now they know what is the price of keeping an unsatisfied player in your squad.
And as far as Sancho is concerned, I really do think that he will massively improve our squad. But so would Dembele or Adama Treore because we haven't got a player of that skill set in our squad. But Sancho is no where near a finished article as some of us believed. He needs time and maturity to reach to that level and he sure will with time and hard work because he is talented. But until then asking that kind of money would be living in 2017.

treble_winner

I guess you have to look at the previous sales trends. Just before Covid, the prices of players were rising at an alarming rate and there was so no stopping them.
Also, a lot of players were being valued at ridiculous prices in last 2 to 3 years. I mean if Higuaine costed more than 90, anything would be possible. Hell, Fred costed 52 million and Mcguire costed 80. Ousmane Dembele was 105, which Dortmund sold during that golden era of selling players at high prices.
But suddenly after Covid things started to change. Clubs who were big but didn't have sugar daddies -- which had Romans or Shiekhs as their first names -- were badly hit. In fact, to my knowledge, clubs like Barcas and Madrids and Juves (who already were walking a tight rope) were hit alot.
The financial situation of a lot of clubs has gotten worse and it certainly seems to me that it will keep getting worse until fans are allowed back in. It was very stupid and daft of Dortmund to be so stubborn about asking that high sale price of Sancho. Also, now they know what is the price of keeping an unsatisfied player in your squad.
And as far as Sancho is concerned, I really do think that he will massively improve our squad. But so would Dembele or Adama Treore because we haven't got a player of that skill set in our squad. But Sancho is no where near a finished article as some of us believed. He needs time and maturity to reach to that level and he sure will with time and hard work because he is talented. But until then asking that kind of money would be living in 2017.
I don't even feel so bad about Sancho anymore. Or rather, my disappointment is cured by watching Dortmund crash and burn due to their high-and-mighty stubborn attitude. Now a couple of Sancho's own goals that knock Dortmund out of the cups would be icing on the cake for me. :D

Greck

I don't even feel so bad about Sancho anymore. Or rather, my disappointment is cured by watching Dortmund crash and burn due to their high-and-mighty stubborn attitude. Now a couple of Sancho's own goals that knock Dortmund out of the cups would be icing on the cake for me. :D
Watching their president do a full media tour about how our paltry 90m was an insult of an offer was irritating. Hopefully we don't do a Maguire and end up going back to buy him for 20m more than the previous asking price. Would be getting labelled another Ed Woodward disasterclass if we spent the entire budget on him. It's a massive fanbase, can't listen to every talking head

Last edited:

drmuji

Watching their president do a full media tour about how our paltry 90m was an insult of an offer was irritating. Hopefully we don't do a Maguire and end up going back to buy him for 20m more than the previous asking price. Would be getting labelled another Ed Woodward disasterclass if we spent the entire budget on him. It's a massive fanbase, can't listen to every talking head
Did he actually do that? I mean, talking about your own player's quoted price being too low by some other club, in front of media.
Imagine if Ole would say, well we put Paul Pogba in market and Real gave an offer of 50 million so we decided to keep him, because the offer was too low.....
Dear God......
Now, I dont blame Sancho for having a nose dive in form

drmuji

I don't feel bad right now but if sancho plays for arsenal next season, I'll be very upset :keano:

Norris Cole

One thing that does concern me a bit is just how differently Dortmund play to us.

If you watch most of his goals and assists there will usually be four or five dortmund players also in the box ready to tap it in to the net - thats just how they play. At United we rarely attack in such numbers - partly due to our limitations and just due to the quality of the league. I think we would be lucky if Sancho got anywhere near his Dortmund numbers in a Utd shirt.

Still think hes worth 100m though

wolvored

Another poor game for England. Perhaps he performs better in a poorer league and wouldnt get anywhere near his stats in Germany, if playing in the Premier league.

brzez

Another poor game for England. Perhaps he performs better in a poorer league and wouldnt get anywhere near his stats in Germany, if playing in the Premier league.
I've had this opinion for a while now, and I'm glad we didn't sign him for £108m this summer. The problem though isn't his stats, Haaland wouldn't score as many goals in the Premier League, but he would still be an amazing player for us. But I just can't see how Sancho plays in a United team with Solkjaer as a coach.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They’ll be begging us for a £90m offer in January

Irrational.

Dortmund are world class in showcasing the best attributes of their players in the system they play. They also have very shrewd senior personnel in Watzke and Zorc.

Here I believe they have dropped a bollock and their greediness will come back to bite them on the ass.

Sweet Square

Turns out the screaming void that is the Cafe transfer forum may have just have gotten this one wrong. Also shows why attacking the Glazers on transfers is not a great tactic.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Sancho play in a team that made kagawa, Dembele and mkhitaryan look great

Yagami

Good post resistant
Sancho play in a team that made kagawa, Dembele and mkhitaryan look great
I said back when we were linked to Mkhi that he'd be a bad signing whilst everyone else was excited. He was a system player and because we've lacked a cohesive system that gets the best out of the team as a whole rather than relying on individual brilliance, it was inevitable that he would struggle.

It's the same with Donny now.

We need more players that can excel regardless of if the team has a good system in general. Grealish was that guy because, like a David Silva/Rui Costa, his ability to resist pressing opposition, carry the ball and, in general, not be dependent on others performing to have an impact on a games general play means we're likely going to get more good performances than not regardless of our teams style.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Very true but the question is, "Is he worth 100 million in current climate?"
Transfer value never judged based on the current climate alone but also potential.

The two posters above my post already wrote his potential off and start comparing him to Kagawa & Mkhy, unlike those two, Sancho is still 20 in his development stage and already produced more.

drmuji

Transfer value never judged based on the current climate alone but also potential.

The two posters above my post already wrote his potential off and start comparing him to Kagawa & Mkhy, unlike those two, Sancho is still 20 in his development stage and already produced more.
I agree with you here. But we are living in really extraordinary climate here. Besides after the Naymar transfer, the prices went ridiculously high and average players were going for extraordinary money. So, am not sure whether he is worth 100 million in new circumstances.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I said back when we were linked to Mkhi that he'd be a bad signing whilst everyone else was excited. He was a system player and because we've lacked a cohesive system that gets the best out of the team as a whole rather than relying on individual brilliance, it was inevitable that he would struggle.

It's the same with Donny now.

We need more players that can excel regardless of if the team has a good system in general. Grealish was that guy because, like a David Silva/Rui Costa, his ability to resist pressing opposition, carry the ball and, in general, not be dependent on others performing to have an impact on a games general play means we're likely going to get more good performances than not regardless of our teams style.
I think you're vastly underestimating Donny. He's a hardworking creative player who likes to keep it simple if he can and he doesn't mind backtracking and tackle if needs be. If Ole gave him a frigging chance then I think he'll be more suited for United then Pogba is. Dutch players rarely let us down.

Regarding Sancho I have mix feelings about him

On one hand he's young, he's good and he's versatile. I don't really mind about the fee really as having Sancho in the team alongside Rashford and Greenwood would be massive marketing wise. That would dwarf any expenses we incur in getting Sancho.

However I do wonder if he's as good as many portray him to be. Dortmund play a certain style of football in a league made up of Bayern and little else. We keep hearing about how great leipzig are but they work on a West Ham like budget. Its one thing doing well in Germany and its another doing it in the EPL.

Regardless of Sancho, United need to stick to a system. If we're buying a big Cavani like striker then we need crosses. That can either come from the flank men or the fullbacks. If we're opting for the latter then we must have fullbacks that are able to go forward and cross the ball. We also need top quality CBs who can cover for the gaps these attacking wingbacks leave behind.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I agree with you here. But we are living in really extraordinary climate here. Besides after the Naymar transfer, the prices went ridiculously high and average players were going for extraordinary money. So, am not sure whether he is worth 100 million in new circumstances.
I never really argue with transfer value but to write this guy off and compare him to Kagawa & Mkhy is wrong. We have natural goalscorer Greenwood that his future will be a no 9, a left goalscorer winger Rashford and Martial who can cover the left and no9 role. We still need a creative player on the right flank.

His transfer value won’t matter anymore now because summer transfer window has passed means next year Dortmund won’t ask 100m anymore because the price will drop and Dortmund will definitely need the money since just like other clubs, Dortmund will also suffer without having fans in the stadium due to covid.

drmuji

I never really argue with transfer value but to write this guy off and compare him to Kagawa & Mkhy is wrong. We have natural goalscorer Greenwood that his future will be a no 9, a left goalscorer winger Rashford and Martial who can cover the left and no9 role. We still need a creative player on the right flank.

His transfer value won’t matter anymore now because summer transfer window has passed means next year Dortmund won’t ask 100m anymore because the price will drop and Dortmund will definitely need the money since just like other clubs, Dortmund will also suffer without having fans in the stadium due to covid.
Agreed to all of your points

Bondi77

Bellingham will look good at Dortmund and they will value him at three times his value so I hope we don’t get the same muppets who thought we should pay the ridiculously inflated price for Sancho resurface and demand we cough up for him.

Judas

Open to offers
I still wish we'd paid the money as we'd be a better team right now, and its not my bloody money.

But having said that, we in theory should be able to get him cheaper now as anyone with sense expected, if we still want him.

drmuji

I still wish we'd paid the money as we'd be a better team right now, and its not my bloody money.

But having said that, we in theory should be able to get him cheaper now as anyone with sense expected, if we still want him.
I think we do still want him. Its either him or Ousmane Dembele, and I seriously think we are going to get either one of the two next summer. Latter one probably in January as Barca desperately want Memphis

Status
Not open for further replies.