Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

city-puma

The crazy money era has been reset now. 100mil plus in transfer fee is ridiculous before the pandemic and even more now.
For me, I am not convinced we should spend more than 55mil on him. His pace and acceleration are not great. It’s ok in bundesliga because the teams there play with more space left fore offensive players.
I think we should just move on unless they really lower their ask price that much.

theklr

Probably not, but we should still do it. He will fit in so well.

romufc

The crazy money era has been reset now. 100mil plus in transfer fee is ridiculous before the pandemic and even more now.
For me, I am not convinced we should spend more than 55mil on him. His pace and acceleration are not great. It’s ok in bundesliga because the teams there play with more space left fore offensive players.
I think we should just move on unless they really lower their ask price that much.
We as fans always love the next big thing and we get carried away, £108m would have been a rip off.

Have you seen the goals he scored in the Bundesliga? He has half the pitch to run with 1 defender..

We do not have a counter attacking problem, its breaking down low blocks. I havent seen enough of Sancho breaking low blocks down to say he is worth £100m

KennyBurner

This guy is worth 70million. Back in the summer I though 89 was a good fee but right now with the coronavirus and no match day income we can’t be splurging on forwards that don’t have blistering pace in the league. I need a rashford level pace to go along with the creativity and Sancho doesn’t have that.

Tallis

Apart from his own poor form, I suspect the poor form of Havertz will put a dampener on the $$$ ask.

For £70-80 million transfer fee and a probable £350 k/ week pay, should we sign him or look elsewhere ?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
3-4 Longstaff brothers for the price of one Sancho. Hmm.

wolvored

I've said this before but we won't be buying him now that ship has sailed. We have bought 2 for RW one being compared to a young Messi. Our next big signing and won't be near 100 mill, will be a CF I think. Someone in the Cavani mould but obviously much younger.

saivet

I've said this before but we won't be buying him now that ship has sailed. We have bought 2 for RW one being compared to a young Messi. Our next big signing and won't be near 100 mill, will be a CF I think. Someone in the Cavani mould but obviously much younger.
Journos seems to be convinced that we will still have interest in Sancho come the summer. It's a huge gamble to pin our hopes on two young and inexperienced wingers when we could do with a winger right now. If either of them performs to a high standard in the second half of the season then things may change but if they hardly feature or look raw and we're still rotating who plays on the RW every other game, I think we'll look to sign someone that is ready for the first team in the summer, whether it's Sancho or someone else.

zenith

Maybe we are looking to play the long game by looking at him in the summer 2022 window, when he would have only one year left in his contract. In the meanwhile, we have to potentially brilliant young prospects and the need to improve upon other areas such as DM

wolvored

Journos seems to be convinced that we will still have interest in Sancho come the summer. It's a huge gamble to pin our hopes on two young and inexperienced wingers when we could do with a winger right now. If either of them performs to a high standard in the second half of the season then things may change but if they hardly feature or look raw and we're still rotating who plays on the RW every other game, I think we'll look to sign someone that is ready for the first team in the summer, whether it's Sancho or someone else.
If all of a sudden Dortmund dropped the price dramatically say 70 mill I could see Utd as well as other clubs show an interest again, but in reality he is on their books for another 2 1/2 years so can't see them dropping the price this summer. The board wouldnt go 100 mill then as they would look bigger pricks than they did last summer. Someone else maybe with a smaller fee as you said if diallo and Pelistri don't perform could happen I suppose.

jackal&hyde

Our next offer should be lower then the one last summer. Clubs don't spend that kind of money anymore.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He's still young and could easily start performing to a high level again which would again change the narrative. I'm definitely favouring Grealish right now but i'm mindful that Sancho could quite easily start performing to a high level again. But I do think we'll sign one out of the two and both players are graceful on the ball which is always welcome and something I favour.
I've been thinking the same think. I still suspect the club is hoping Diallo is a secret menace on the RW, it gives us a stronger negotiating position. For the moment I'm leaning Grealish but it's difficult to ignore how good Sancho has been the last 2 seasons, it's not that rare that a move that fell through would effect a player's form.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I've been thinking the same think. I still suspect the club is hoping Diallo is a secret menace on the RW, it gives us a stronger negotiating position. For the moment I'm leaning Grealish but it's difficult to ignore how good Sancho has been the last 2 seasons, it's not that rare that a move that fell through would effect a player's form.
Completely agree mate and I'm glad I'm not the one that would have to make the call if a either or situation arose.

croadyman

Completely agree mate and I'm glad I'm not the one that would have to make the call if a either or situation arose.
Still firmly prefer Grealish as seems like someone who can grab games by scruff of the neck and step up like we have seen Bruno do so many times and never a bad thing to have two of those in your team

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Still firmly prefer Grealish as seems like someone who can grab games by scruff of the neck and step up like we have seen Bruno do so many times and never a bad thing to have two of those in your team
I would be over the moon with either because I feel Rashford needs competition on the left which both players will provide, which in-turn would benefit the team. But Sancho being around 5 years younger would potentially give us more bang for our buck if as hoped he regains his form.

Stacks

I never felt he would transform us into contenders but a realiable high scoring forward could potentially. If he can get 25 goals then cool, we can be like Liverpool

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I think that Dortmund regrets not selling him and now they will be the one who will "create" rumours to raise interest.
But now buying clubs will have upper hand. We, for example, bought Diallo. Yes, he is a kid and who knows how he will develop but still we don't need to go all in for Sancho. Not to mention that his form this year lowered his price a lot.

You know what? Ed was 100% right in this.

El Zoido

Grealish has got that swagger, I’m a huge fan and he would be my #1 signing for us in the summer. Reckon he’ll cost more than Sancho now though, unless he really pushes for a move away from Villa I don’t think any club will pay the asking price.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I never felt he would transform us into contenders but a realiable high scoring forward could potentially. If he can get 25 goals then cool, we can be like Liverpool
I don't see any single player on the market good enough to transform us into genuine title contenders. It has to be the team as a whole imoroving significantly.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If that's the case, its a very poor reflection on him as a player, and I say that rating him highly.
He's 20 years of age. There is every reason to think his head has been legitimately frazzled by an assured move falling through. Not having the emotional or mental maturity to shrug such a setback off is far more likely the generic response from someone in that age bracket. Him just carrying on as is would have been the outlier and something very few 20-somethings could've done.

In all the denigration and seeming glee at him not performing that's going on round the site this season, his age and the human aspect seems to have been lost. not accusing you of that, mind, just saying, people talk about him like he's some seasoned veteran and not a prodigious youngster who is finding his feet as a potential superstar and all the pitfalls that come with it. He's closer in age to Greenwood than Rashford, if I'm not mistaken, and the way he handles setbacks matches that.

Ole is great at the human aspect, where Southgate is a calamity; the kid needs lifting up as his confidence has taken a knock. England NT is not a good environment for a kid to get his groove back, that's for sure.

drmuji

His goal yesterday was a brilliant individual piece of skill. Would love to see him doing it at United
That was after he missed an open goal

Now that's inconsistency which will get better with time. He is not a finished article hence he should not be commanding 100 million fee

FreddieTheReddie

If that's the case, its a very poor reflection on him as a player, and I say that rating him highly.
I can understand if he was mad at everyone after his move didn’t happen. I think he’s working hard now, that’s what I see at least, doesn’t look like he’s sulking. What I like in him, he’s much more quiet on social media nowadays unlike our own Pogba who happily posted dancing videos after terrible performances.

cyberman

That was after he missed an open goal

Now that's inconsistency which will get better with time. He is not a finished article hence he should not be commanding 100 million fee
Even that doesnt prove anything when its, yet again, Sancho running into huge amount of space with an overmatched defender back peddling like mad.

Mike Smalling

If we are gonna splash the cash on a wide forward, I would certainly prefer Grealish over Sancho. I think we avoided overpaying massively for Sancho in the summer - perhaps Ed even deserves credit for not dancing to Dortmund's tune?

Indranil Roy

He may be worth 100 million but I hope we don't bring him in, this may be a controversial opinion, but I really feel Neto(if we can get him for 50mn or less) is a far better investment than Sancho. I feel getting Sancho will really hinder the development of Greenwood.

++ point for Sancho is him being English is if he signs, there is a very high chance he will give his next 10-12 years to Manutd. Very few english players move within the big 6 and even few leave for abroad in their prime, while with Neto if they become too big, then their heads turn around the Madrids/Barcas etc.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He's 20 years of age. There is every reason to think his head has been legitimately frazzled by an assured move falling through. Not having the emotional or mental maturity to shrug such a setback off is far more likely the generic response from someone in that age bracket. Him just carrying on as is would have been the outlier and something very few 20-somethings could've done.

In all the denigration and seeming glee at him not performing that's going on round the site this season, his age and the human aspect seems to have been lost. not accusing you of that, mind, just saying, people talk about him like he's some seasoned veteran and not a prodigious youngster who is finding his feet as a potential superstar and all the pitfalls that come with it. He's closer in age to Greenwood than Rashford, if I'm not mistaken, and the way he handles setbacks matches that.

Ole is great at the human aspect, where Southgate is a calamity; the kid needs lifting up as his confidence has taken a knock. England NT is not a good environment for a kid to get his groove back, that's for sure.
I can understand if he was mad at everyone after his move didn’t happen. I think he’s working hard now, that’s what I see at least, doesn’t look like he’s sulking. What I like in him, he’s much more quiet on social media nowadays unlike our own Pogba who happily posted dancing videos after terrible performances.
I know I am pretty harsh when it comes to player, and yes he is young but he should realise the opportunity Dortmund gave him and the wages he is getting, and the standard of league and players he is playing with. I like Sancho and do believe he will be a massive player, but sulking and throwing your head up isn't going to benefit him in the long run, knuckle down and apply yourself. We have all seen players at a young age ruin themselves far too early on.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I know I am pretty harsh when it comes to player, and yes he is young but he should realise the opportunity Dortmund gave him and the wages he is getting, and the standard of league and players he is playing with. I like Sancho and do believe he will be a massive player, but sulking and throwing your head up isn't going to benefit him in the long run, knuckle down and apply yourself. We have all seen players at a young age ruin themselves far too early on.
You're assuming it's a voluntary action - how does anyone know how life-altering news will affect them? Might sound dramatic; he's a multi-millionaire footballer already, but this was potentially him announcing himself as a superstar and having is profile indelibly elevated should the move have gone through. Plus there's family, friends and living in England again. Before the move became tangible, he mightn't have missed home particularly, but anticipating a move back, it surely can't be hard to see how it could all lead to the kind of slump we're seeing, which is not necessarily 'sulking', rather a kid having to find his feet again and probably being forced to do a lot of growing up off the back of this whole affair.

As far as I'm aware, Sancho has been a golden boy since puberty (pun avalanche ahoy), so this could be his first taste of genuine hardship in a footballing sense, or at least to say, things not working out and being out of his hands - with Pep, he took it upon himself and left the club, for instance, but here, he's someone watching all of the goings on that determine the next chapter of his life and can do nothing about any of it. That's got to be a head wreck for most youngsters with only those of exceptional mental fortitude - which nobody every claimed Sancho has - taking it in stride and carrying on without missing a beat.

This might be seen as conjecture, but I think more of it is more likely than not and the layers and human element shouldn't be swept under the rug just because he has exceptional talent.

I wonder how many moves for young prodigies reach such a profile and media furore and then fall through... can you think of any? And off the back of that, how did that young prodigy conduct himself on the other side of said fall through?

saivet

A lot of people mentioning Grealish, when in reality Grealish may well cost more than Sancho in the summer.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
A lot of people mentioning Grealish, when in reality Grealish may well cost more than Sancho in the summer.
other than from a money perspective it shouldn't be an either or, Grealish isn't going to give that balance on the right hand side, he needs to play central with Sancho ahead of him along with Rashford and a CF

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
You're assuming it's a voluntary action - how does anyone know how life-altering news will affect them? Might sound dramatic; he's a multi-millionaire footballer already, but this was potentially him announcing himself as a superstar and having is profile indelibly elevated should the move have gone through. Plus there's family, friends and living in England again. Before the move became tangible, he mightn't have missed home particularly, but anticipating a move back, it surely can't be hard to see how it could all lead to the kind of slump we're seeing, which is not necessarily 'sulking', rather a kid having to find his feet again and probably being forced to do a lot of growing up off the back of this whole affair.

As far as I'm aware, Sancho has been a golden boy since puberty (pun avalanche ahoy), so this could be his first taste of genuine hardship in a footballing sense, or at least to say, things not working out and being out of his hands - with Pep, he took it upon himself and left the club, for instance, but here, he's someone watching all of the goings on that determine the next chapter of his life and can do nothing about any of it. That's got to be a head wreck for most youngsters with only those of exceptional mental fortitude - which nobody every claimed Sancho has - taking it in stride and carrying on without missing a beat.

This might be seen as conjecture, but I think more of it is more likely than not and the layers and human element shouldn't be swept under the rug just because he has exceptional talent.

I wonder how many moves for young prodigies reach such a profile and media furore and then fall through... can you think of any? And off the back of that, how did that young prodigy conduct himself on the other side of said fall through?
Again, I'm harder on players than most, young or not. No one forced him to move to Germany, no one made him sign the massive contract and if he desperately wanted a move home from horrible Germany get your agent to put in in the contract. He is an employee. You talk about young talent, he's a human, plenty of his age group wake up every day to shite jobs on shite pay and continue doing it to the best of their ability. Just because he's a footballer doesn't cut much cheddar with me. Again im not a player worshiper and never will be, they may be in a "bubble" but they are in that "bubble" cause they choose to be. For example, I think my own player, Dele is a bit of a dick, no problem saying it.

This isn't aimed solely at Sancho, by the way just my take on the current state of football, well how it has been for a while.

croadyman

I think that Dortmund regrets not selling him and now they will be the one who will "create" rumours to raise interest.
But now buying clubs will have upper hand. We, for example, bought Diallo. Yes, he is a kid and who knows how he will develop but still we don't need to go all in for Sancho. Not to mention that his form this year lowered his price a lot.

You know what? Ed was 100% right in this.
other than from a money perspective it shouldn't be an either or, Grealish isn't going to give that balance on the right hand side, he needs to play central with Sancho ahead of him along with Rashford and a CF
I agree he doesn't give us balance on the right hand side but would still rather pay the money for Jack than Jadon, yes I know in a dream world we would like to sign both but unless Martial is leaving then no way could we be able to fund that. Grealish just has that real leadership swagger about him and looks made to play for Utd, also if Bruno was suspended or injured you would have someone who could step into his role quite naturally.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Do Dortmund ever shut up? Seems all they do is talk to the press about transfers, I remember them talking about United and Sancho during/after summer 2019.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Again, I'm harder on players than most, young or not. No one forced him to move to Germany, no one made him sign the massive contract and if he desperately wanted a move home from horrible Germany get your agent to put in in the contract. He is an employee. You talk about young talent, he's a human, plenty of his age group wake up every day to shite jobs on shite pay and continue doing it to the best of their ability. Just because he's a footballer doesn't cut much cheddar with me. Again im not a player worshiper and never will be, they may be in a "bubble" but they are in that "bubble" cause they choose to be. For example, I think my own player, Dele is a bit of a dick, no problem saying it.

This isn't aimed solely at Sancho, by the way just my take on the current state of football, well how it has been for a while.
If it goes on for the entire season it might be fair to start criticising him a bit more, but for just a couple of months it's fairly understandable that he's having his first real rough patch. When you are doing anything at the absolute highest level it doesn't take much to knock you off your game a bit. The important thing is how you get over it.

Even Ronaldo, one of the most driven to succeed players of all time, struggled a bit in 08/09 after we refused to sell him. He was still fairly good and started getting back to great as the season wore on, but his form definitely dropped for a while there. And he was a good few years older than Sancho (in fact Sancho isn't even at the age Ronaldo was when he 'got good' in 06/07).

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Apart from his own poor form, I suspect the poor form of Havertz will put a dampener on the $$$ ask.

For £70-80 million transfer fee and a probable £350 k/ week pay, should we sign him or look elsewhere ?
I won't pay him more than 50-60m fee and 200k per week salary.

reelworld

Funny how when United is doing well and can afford to play well without Sancho, this news of him coming here become louder. You can see Dortmund desperation to sell him from miles

Status
Not open for further replies.