Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

Funny how when United is doing well and can afford to play well without Sancho, this news of him coming here become louder. You can see Dortmund desperation to sell him from miles
Yeah personally think we will monitor how Pallestri & Diallo are progressing until the end of the season before making a final decision on whether to still sign Sancho or any starting RW

Murray3007

i see him as an excellent talent, does his current form concern me ? slightly but look at how inconsistent some of our forwards here are, would make a take it or leave it offer in Jan, think in the summer the club will be looking more at Grealish if this deal don't get done now.

Tallis

Ever since the summer, I have been uncertain about Sancho. The club ultimately didn’t sign him because of the transfer fee involved which was a decision I support.

I have been doing some soul searching whether I want us to sign him next summer assuming a reduced price of £80-90mm. I think I actually prefer that we not sign him - his game just doesn’t convince me that he will give us what we are looking for. Not to say that he is terrible or will be a flop but I just don’t see him as the “Game- changer” that we have been looking for and even at that reduced price of £80-90mm, he will be a big financial risk (will probably want big wages too). Haaland is the player we should try to get out of Dortmund and find another solution for RW.

Should still be the number one target.

Beats out Grealish anyday for me. Two great players with two good seasons each at the top level, but one of them is five years younger and plays in a position that needs more desperate reinforcement.

Sancho having a slow season so far means nothing, he's a young player who's already shown his quality. Greenwood is a year younger and similarly struggling, it happens all the time.

MS4

I think we can go for Sancho
But closer to 50M than 100M

pascell

His final pass is so well weighted every time.
One of the best things about his play, I think we're attempting to mould Rashford the same way when we play him on the RW, which is wasting Rashford.

People have been too fast to write him off on here, it was obvious he was just out of form. I'd still love both him and Grealish at United, our attack would be one of, if not the best in the world.

I still hold hope we're interested for the right place in summer.

croadyman

I do too and I hope we still go in for him as we won't get a better opportunity.
My only worry with Sancho is that he isn't capable of winning games for us on his own, in other words being a talisman like we have seen Bruno provide us with so many times since he signed

RkkMan

He was playing off the left yesterday which is a concern to me. Whilst he plays well on the right his better games(even last season) come from the opposite flank and I suspect he`ll fare better on the LW in the EPL with it being tougher. Top player but I still have some concerns on whether he`s the "perfect fit" people make him out to be

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Good to hear. Despite the Grealish rumours, I still think Sancho remains Ole's top target in the summer, as you'd imagine he'd slot in perfectly on the right hand side.
The thing about Sancho is, the more I watch him the more I feel like he’s more of a playmaker than winger, it’s like Mata with pace and can use both feet but has no first touch passing. If anything Grealish more of a winger than Sancho. The main reason is that Grealish biggest asset is his dribbling and closed control beating defenders easily and draw fouls. While Sancho actually relies more on teamwork like link up play, playing one two and his decision making on passing and through ball.

If we need someone who can do magic by dribbling past players, someone we can rely on alone, I think Grealish is the man. If we need someone who is more support player, not someone you can depend on alone but can be underperformed if his team mate playing poor and his asset is make good decision making, I think Sancho is the man.

Nights

I think we’ll still be in for him and I think Dortmund have already realised they overplayed their hand last summer.

With Covid continuing to hit everyone’s bottom lines, especially clubs which depend massively on match day incomes, no one is going to be paying the fees they were expecting, except for peak Messi/Ronaldo level talents, which he isn’t.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Just signed a couple of wingers. Need to see how they progress over the next 6 months before a decision is made on Sancho. Personally, I would much rather money is spent on Grealish who can fill various positions at a very highest level. The guy just oozes quality and has the arrogance and flair of Cantona when playing.

PS: Not seen much of Sancho except when playing for England a few times.

croadyman

Just signed a couple of wingers. Need to see how they progress over the next 6 months before a decision is made on Sancho. Personally, I would much rather money is spent on Grealish who can fill various positions at a very highest level. The guy just oozes quality and has the arrogance and flair of Cantona when playing.

PS: Not seen much of Sancho except when playing for England a few times.
Yeah Grealish is the signing for me as well if Pogba still goes in the summer, however I would agree that Sancho gives us more balance on the RW

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Sancho might not be worth half the Dortmund asking price for us if Diallo can repay the faith the United scouting department have shown in his ability.

I think it would be best to discuss this at the end of the season.

Andersons Dietician

Is there now no longer a proper Sancho thread?

Anyway reading they are on the brink of signing the guy I’m sure they were linked with in the summer as the Sancho replacement. Be interesting to see if we really do go back in for him in the summer.

romufc

Sancho might not be worth half the Dortmund asking price for us if Diallo can repay the faith the United scouting department have shown in his ability.

I think it would be best to discuss this at the end of the season.
Agreed. I hope Diallo gets given his chance this seasons so we can see how badly we need a RW. We can talk about Sancho but hes only 2 years older which means less time for Diallo / Greenwood and the like.

The money they want would get us 2 top draw players in positions we need to rectify. If we can get a CB and a CDM, it could mean we keep the ball better and play better.

If we do go back for Sancho and Dortmund want anything north of £80m, do what we did this last summer and walk away.

croadyman

Agreed. I hope Diallo gets given his chance this seasons so we can see how badly we need a RW. We can talk about Sancho but hes only 2 years older which means less time for Diallo / Greenwood and the like.

The money they want would get us 2 top draw players in positions we need to rectify. If we can get a CB and a CDM, it could mean we keep the ball better and play better.

If we do go back for Sancho and Dortmund want anything north of £80m, do what we did this last summer and walk away.
Yeah would be brilliant if Diallo/Pellestri could get a proper opportunity on that RW in the second half of this season to show what they can do. Personally think we could really do with spending big on a top CB & CDM but can only see that happening if either of those young talents are able to show Ole there is no need to spend big on a RW, however if they aren't ready then we have to prioritise that position over one of the others but not sure which.

romufc

Yeah would be brilliant if Diallo/Pellestri could get a proper opportunity on that RW in the second half of this season to show what they can do. Personally think we could really do with spending big on a top CB & CDM but can only see that happening if either of those young talents are able to show Ole there is no need to spend big on a RW, however if they aren't ready then we have to prioritise that position over one of the others but not sure which.
Agreed, the CDM is very important if we are to control games. We have seen it over the last few months, we rarely control a football match. Our midfielders hardly dictate the game. If you look at Liverpool where a Fabinho runs the game, Fernandinho, Ndidi, Busquets, Thiago, Kimmich. We lack that kind of dominant midfield player who can do what McFred do in one.

In respects to RW, there is a reason we spent so much on Diallo. Sancho may just blow our budget with no real improvement to the style of play.

The Purley King

Would much rather get Haaland instead of Sancho. Dortmund have completely overplayed their hand and I'm not sure he'll even move in the summer. If he does it will be for nearer to £50m than £100m. We'd be interested at around £60-70m I would have thought, but we have far bigger problems at Centre Forward imo.
Think we'll bank on one of Greenwood, Pellestri, Diallo making RW their own and spend in other areas.

Red & White

I’d have to agree we’d probably benefit more from Haaland at this moment in time, although, we wouldn’t be top of his list of clubs at the moment. Sancho would certainly improve us massively on the right hand side, though. Paying less than the £120m quoted would be a bonus, too. Surely, closer to £65m - £80m now, depending how his form goes for the rest of the season.

Ultimately, these sort of transfers depend a lot on how we progress. I know it’s long shot but if we win the league this season or next it would have an influence on where certain players want to move to and even which players want to stay here.

It’s an interesting problem Dortmund have now.

they know Sancho doesn’t want to stay long term, but United were the only club in for him, and I don’t see anyone else who would be.

they have almost certainly turned down the best ever offer they will get for him. I can only see United, City and Chelsea being able to afford him. He’s not going back to City, Chelsea have spent a fortune and well stocked - who else is there?

Haaland is going this summer or next, guaranteed. They blew this transfer.

They can ultimately hold out for, and demand whatever fee they like. But they are going to seriously regret not taking the money.

SATA

I think we are going to sign him this summer. BVB has been whoring him out and we will buy under our terms and price. They will keep Erling till next year

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Think we'll bank on one of Greenwood, Pellestri, Diallo making RW their own and spend in other areas.
I'm not so sure about that, certainly there are options in that area now that could develop into something special, but we've been trying to get Sancho since he was 17, I feel that he is still top of the transfer list, and to be honest, long term, I think he'd be sensational for us.

Judas

Open to offers
I think we are going to sign him this summer. BVB has been whoring him out and we will buy under our terms and price. They will keep Erling till next year
Yep my thoughts exactly. As long as we don't absolutely bomb in the second half of the season and finish outside the CL places, I think it's one of the most likely transfers of the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.