Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
My guess is he ends up coming in the summer for somewhere around the 80m mark, with some realistic add ons making up part of the the 80m.

TsuWave

He has been only excellent in BL, and was rather unproven elsewhere. There are lots of recent flops who are considered best talents in BL, but flopped big time in other top league too (ie Havertz, Werner, Dembele, Mkhitaryan, Kagawa etc) so I’d rather reserve my judgements on his stats in BL, that’s all.

Also, this thread is about whether Sancho is worth 100m or not, so I am just trying not to go too off topic. For your reference, Sane from City moved to Bayern for 50m last summer, I don’t think he is any less player than Sancho at all, at least he has easily outperformed Sancho this season, do you find the amount as offensive too?
In 19/20 he had 2 goals and 2 assists in 8 CL appearances. That's averaging a goal contribution every 2 games at 19 years old. This season he's on 2 goal and 2 assists in 5 CL appearances.

Werner and Havertz don't even have a full season under their belt here yet. If the prem exported talent as often as other leagues do, you'd also be able to list a bunch of high profile "flops". Have Bundesliga teams not fared better than English teams in the CL in recent times? Also, again, Sancho is a product of English football.

Sane is 5 years older than Sancho and was in the last year of his contract. He has also not outperformed Sancho this season, let alone easily. It seems as though you're pretty much just throwing stuff at the wall and hoping some of it sticks.

Would you take 50M for Greenwood?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
In 19/20 he had 2 goals and 2 assists in 8 CL appearances. That's averaging a goal contribution every 2 games at 19 years old. This season he's on 2 goal and 2 assists in 5 CL appearances.

Werner and Havertz don't even have a full season under their belt here yet. If the prem exported talent as often as other leagues do, you'd also be able to list a bunch of high profile "flops". Have Bundesliga teams not fared better than English teams in the CL in recent times? Also, again, Sancho is a product of English football.

Sane is 5 years older than Sancho and was in the last year of his contract. He has also not outperformed Sancho this season, let alone easily. It seems as though you're pretty much just throwing stuff at the wall and hoping some of it sticks.

Would you take 50M for Greenwood?
Does Greenwood want to move away from Old Trafford though?
Point is, Sancho wants a move badly, he probably won't renew his contract which will be expired in about 2 years time, everyone knows that, I wouldn't go for more than 50m for him, and he wasn't all that impressive for England anyway.
Also, his stats in CL is nothing to be proud of, yeh 2 goals, in CL and 2 goals in the league this season, and some of the goals are actually penalty too, you can't really say he is really proven at that level. Compare with his teammate/attack partner in Dortmund, Haaland, 6 goals in CL and 14 goals in the league, its day and night difference.

Thing is, if you look at Sancho past record across the 3 competitions:

BL in his 2 peak season (18-20) - 56 games, 29 goals, 30 assists (avg 1.05 goals/assists per game) - Impressive
BL (overall, including this season) - 94 games, 32 goals, 41 assists (avg 0.77 goals/assists per game) - overall good but inconsistence
CL - 20 games, 5 goals, 5 assists (avg 0.5 goals/assists per game) - not bad, but not among the elites, for example Rashford, who play in similar position, outperformed/outscored him this season in CL alone (6 goals in 6 games)
International - 18 games, 3 goals (avg 0.16 goals per game) - not impressive

You can only say he has been great during his 2 best years in BL, inconsistent but good in BL overall, not bad in CL, not impressive for England.

Last edited:

TsuWave

Does Greenwood want to move away from Old Trafford though?
Point is, Sancho wants a move badly, everyone knows that, I wouldn't go for more than 50m for him, he wasn't all that impressive for England anyway.
Also, his stats in CL is nothing to be proud of, yeh 2 goals, in CL and 2 goals in the league this season, and some of the goals are actually penalty too, you can't really say he is really proven at that level. Compare with his teammate/attack partner in Dortmund, Haaland, 6 goals in CL and 14 goals in the league, its day and night difference.

Thing is, if you look at Sancho past record across the 3 competitions:

BL in his 2 peak season (18-20) - 56 games, 29 goals, 30 assists (avg 1.05 goals/assists per game) - Impressive
BL (overall) - 94 games, 32 goals, 41 assists (avg 0.77 goals/assists per game) - overall good but inconsistence
CL - 20 games, 5 goals, 5 assists (avg 0.5 goals/assists per game) - not bad, but not among the elites, for example Rashford outperformed/outscored him this season in CL alone
International - 18 games, 3 goals (avg 0.16 goals per game) - not impressive

You can only say he has been great during his 2 best years in BL, inconsistent in BL overall, not bad in CL, not impressive for England.
The onus is on Dortmund to ascertain if the player wanting a move slashes their valuation by more than half. Again, you are the one throwing these valuations around. All I said is if I were a Dortmund supporter or linked to them in a professional manner, I'd laugh at a 50M offer for arguably the most talented player of his age group. Moreover, you didn't answer my question. Would you take 50M for Greenwood?

How is 73 goal contributions in 94 appearances inconsistent? What? And this is with appearances he made when he was in 17 taken into account to skew the numbers against him. Calling Sancho inconsistent is ridiculous, at the very least an incredible stretch

A goal contribution every other game in the CL is a great return for a 20 year old. He's a supreme talent and has been outperforming seasoned stars for a couple seasons now. All the players you're comparing him to are substantially older, thus expected to be further ahead in their development, yet he's outperforming or keeping up in many regards.

Hardly anyone performs well for the English national team, you used Rashford as your latest benchmark. Rashford's national team numbers are 40 appearances, 11 goals. It's best not to use that against players.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
The onus is on Dortmund to ascertain if the player wanting a move slashes their valuation by more than half. Again, you are the one throwing these valuations around. All I said is if I were a Dortmund supporter or linked to them in a professional manner, I'd laugh at a 50M offer for arguably the most talented player of his age group. Moreover, you didn't answer my question. Would you take 50M for Greenwood?
Are you sure you are in the right thread? Last time I check this thread is all about Sancho valuation, of course we should be talking about these valuations!

How is 73 goal contributions in 94 appearances inconsistent? What? And this is with appearances he made when he was in 17 taken into account to skew the numbers against him. Calling Sancho inconsistent is ridiculous, at the very least an incredible stretch
He is inconsistent, in the sense that he has had great seasons, and poor seasons. Consistent player, bar injuries, shouldn't have such huge fluctuation in stats and performances across 2-3 seasons.

A goal contribution every other game in the CL is a great return for a 20 year old. He's a supreme talent and has been outperforming seasoned stars for a couple seasons now. All the players you're comparing him to are substantially older, thus expected to be further ahead in their development, yet he's outperforming or keeping up in many regards.
If you think scoring 5 goals over 3 season in CL is great return, then lets just say what Rashford has done this season in CL is legendary.

romufc

Hardly anyone performs well for the English national team, you used Rashford as your latest benchmark. Rashford's national team numbers are 40 appearances, 11 goals. It's best not to use that against players.

The value of a player is driven in more than just how good they are.

Dortmund are a selling club, their model is to find young gems, give them game time and make profit from them.

Greenwood came through United's academy, he is seen as a generational talent by some, the future of Manutd. Dortmund knew that they will be selling Sancho so thats why there would be a differentiation in valuation.

Secondly, Sancho has already said he is home sick, he wants to return to England, so Dortmund have a player who wants to leave, again reduces value

Finally, COVID has played a big part in every clubs finances, Dortmund who are reliant on selling players to balance books need to sell one this summer, again another reason why his value will fall.

TsuWave

Are you sure you are in the right thread? Last time I check this thread is all about Sancho valuation, of course we should be talking about these valuations!
I can be in a thread about Sancho's valuation and not exclusively discuss what other posters value him at. What's confusing about this? I get that you think he's worth 50M. I didn't, at any point say you're wrong. I only said I would not accept this were I to be on the other side, what's not registering here?

He is inconsistent, in the sense that he has had great seasons, and poor seasons. Consistent player, bar injuries, shouldn't have such huge fluctuation in stats and performances across 2-3 seasons.
He's not inconsistent by any measure. He has been at Dortmund for the following seasons

17/18 - at 17 years old. made 12 league appearances. 5 goal contributions
18/19 - 18 years old. made 34 league appearances . 29 goal contributions
19/20 - 19 years old. made 32 league appearances. 34 goal contributions
20/21 - current campaign. 20 years old. 16 league appearances thus far. 11 goal contributions -> and this is supposed to be him out of form :lol: His drop in form was, again, a couple of months, he's been playing well and producing for a minute now. A player that's still pretty much in his formative years.

If you think scoring 5 goals over 3 season in CL is great return, then lets just say what Rashford has done this season in CL is legendary.
You did the average yourself. Sancho has a goal contribution every other game in the CL. For a 20 year old that is indeed a great return :confused: not many of his peers are doing similar. Rashford has had a good showing in the CL this year, yes. That's not mutually exclusive with Sancho having a good return, especially considering Rashford is also a great talent andmeant to be ahead in his development.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Think it'll end up between 60-80m which is a much more respectable figure.

Dortmund tried to take the piss and it's badly backfired on them. Not often do I say Woodward did a good job, but he got this one spot on IMO.

We now no longer look desperate in the market, and the sellers will know we are serious to walk away if the price isn't fair.

TsuWave

The value of a player is driven in more than just how good they are.

Dortmund are a selling club, their model is to find young gems, give them game time and make profit from them.

Greenwood came through United's academy, he is seen as a generational talent by some, the future of Manutd. Dortmund knew that they will be selling Sancho so thats why there would be a differentiation in valuation.

Secondly, Sancho has already said he is home sick, he wants to return to England, so Dortmund have a player who wants to leave, again reduces value

Finally, COVID has played a big part in every clubs finances, Dortmund who are reliant on selling players to balance books need to sell one this summer, again another reason why his value will fall.
Evidently, a hypothetical Greenwood move is not equivalent to a protracted Sancho move. I'm simply trying to ascertain what the person I'm replying to values Greenwood at. Like most things, we'll likely place different value to these factors, thus how much they would impact what we deem a fair price for the players will vary. I just want to check the disparity.

romufc

Think it'll end up between 60-80m which is a much more respectable figure.

Dortmund tried to take the piss and it's badly backfired on them. Not often do I say Woodward did a good job, but he got this one spot on IMO.

We now no longer look desperate in the market, and the sellers will know we are serious to walk away if the price isn't fair.
Yep, I agree. I was the first one to criticise Woodward but seems that he done well in the last window. We didn't overspend to a point where we find ourselves stretched next summer, got good squad players in that have shown to be valuable.

We now have the upper hand IMO, well done Woodward.

Alemar

Yep, I agree. I was the first one to criticise Woodward but seems that he done well in the last window. We didn't overspend to a point where we find ourselves stretched next summer, got good squad players in that have shown to be valuable.

We now have the upper hand IMO, well done Woodward.
It’s courtesy of OGS. If he didn’t find a way to be top of the league without an RW, people would have been saying that “Woodward’s screwed us”.

If Diallo somehow starts to deliver great performances, we may end up not bidding for Sancho altogether, in fact...

romufc

It’s courtesy of OGS. If he didn’t find a way to be top of the league without an RW, people would have been saying that “Woodward’s screwed us”.

If Diallo somehow starts to deliver great performances, we may end up not bidding for Sancho altogether, in fact...
100% agree with that. We have seen managers in the past throw massive strops for not getting a player they wanted. Ole wanted a RW for 2 years now.

Lets hope Diallo can deliver a few crucial goals for us.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I can be in a thread about Sancho's valuation and not exclusively discuss what other posters value him at. What's confusing about this? I get that you think he's worth 50M. I didn't, at any point say you're wrong. I only said I would not accept this were I to be on the other side, what's not registering here?

He's not inconsistent by any measure. He has been at Dortmund for the following seasons

17/18 - at 17 years old. made 12 league appearances. 5 goal contributions
20/21 - current campaign. 20 years old. 16 league appearances thus far. 11 goal contributions -> and this is supposed to be him out of form :lol: His drop in form was, again, a couple of months, he's been playing well and producing for a minute now. A player that's still pretty much in his formative years.

You did the average yourself. Sancho has a goal contribution every other game in the CL. For a 20 year old that is indeed a great return :confused: not many of his peers are doing similar. Rashford has had a good showing in the CL this year, yes. That's not mutually exclusive with Sancho having a good return, especially considering Rashford is also a great talent andmeant to be ahead in his development.
Sure, but I'd rather move to Sancho thread when you are going to write alot of posts talking about anything else but valuations.

Look if you think he is in fine form this season, then you are all on your own, almost no one think he worths 100m now, except you maybe, after the poor form he has had this season, which last for 4-5 months so far. You can disagree with everyone though..

SATA

If Sancho is available for a good price or at the price we deem reasonable, we would be mad not to sign him. You don't miss out signing such players. He's still such a talent and proven quality whether Diallo or Pellistri make it here or not

pascell

I think we'll go back in for him and I hope we do. We should go in late in the window if they haven't offloaded anyone else to cover their losses, make them sweat and do the deal on our terms this time, none of this deadline nonsense.

Alemar

Lets hope Diallo can deliver a few crucial goals for us.
I would think that 10 G+A (combined) till the end of the season would be a great output from Diallo. If he can deliver this, maybe we can use Sancho money for a CDM and Cb...

TsuWave

Sure, but I'd rather move to Sancho thread when you are going to write alot of posts talking about anything else but valuations.

Look if you think he is in fine form this season, then you are all on your own, almost no one think he worths 100m now, except you maybe, after the poor form he has had this season, which last for 4-5 months so far. You can disagree with everyone though..
My posts and contention points are relevant to this thread. Especially when verifiably false claims are being used/presented to justify said "valuations". i.e "sancho is inconsistent/has suffered from huge fluctuation in stats across 2-3 seasons"

these are the numbers:

20/21 - current campaign. 20 years old. 16 league appearances thus far. 11 goal contributions

or "Leroy Sane has easily outperformed Sancho this season". Not true.

I'm sorry I don't put much stock in the opinions being voiced here and don't take them at face value as a result. So I asked that they are substantiated.

I didn't say I think he's worth 100M. Merely said I think he's worth more than 50M. There's a 50M range between those numbers, you know.

FreddieTheReddie

Have you seen Dortmund’s fitness coaches? I don’t think either Haaland or Sancho wants to move now.

Man Yusuf united

I wonder why people are putting too much hope on an eighteen years old kid...dialo is here for the future and if you're expecting for dialo to start running the show on the right wing side you guys don't know the premier league it will take him two to three years to be where you guys are putting him today..for two years people were crying for sancho even saying better sancho than kane and allover a sadden is better dialo than sanho we are not serious..we desperate need someone on that right hand side to balance our squad is the team balance which makes everything easier we saw with rashy and greeno against liverpool how it works with the team balance..

Polar

Looking back on our stance regarding Sancho, we have to give Woodward some credit. Many fans pushed for a move >100m.

In retrospect it was a very sensible decision. Today we are likely able to buy Sancho and one more reinforcement for the same price.

A big thanks to Ed and his forward looking skills in this case. He also deserve some credit (sporadically) and not only negativity and criticism:)

croadyman

Looking back on our stance regarding Sancho, we have to give Woodward some credit. Many fans pushed for a move >100m.

In retrospect it was a very sensible decision. Today we are likely able to buy Sancho and one more reinforcement for the same price.

A big thanks to Ed and his forward looking skills in this case. He also deserve some credit (sporadically) and not only negativity and criticism:)
What area could you see us signing that reinforcement then

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
CDM. Sancho and Rice for 120m. Possible?
Perfect replacement for Pogba!
Sancho and Rice are doable for 120M in my opinion if we're talking GBP. Just I think United would need to throw in a player like Lingard to West Ham as part of that deal.

kirk buttercup

Turns out it was good we didnt get fleeced last summer .

what we need now is competition

LW Rasford and Martial
CF Cavani ( Replace him with something Similiar next year )and Greenwood
RW Sancho and Diallo ( Hopefully in the next year or two )

Right across the team we need competition, Shaw has been fantastic since telles arrived and put pressure on and it could be argued since VdB arrived Pogbas performaces have also improved, although could be for different reasons .
Build a squad with depth and quality with players hungry to be first choice.

croadyman

Sancho and Rice are doable for 120M in my opinion if we're talking GBP. Just I think United would need to throw in a player like Lingard to West Ham as part of that deal.
So are we saying £70m for Sancho & £50m for Rice

davidmichael

We've got a fair bit of deadwood in Romero, Dalot, Jones, Rojo, Pereira, Mata, Lingard, James and Chong to raise a few quid and trim the wage bill considerably too and I reckon we could probably raise the funds for Rice from that lot alone but then it’s shifting them.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I wonder why people are putting too much hope on an eighteen years old kid...dialo is here for the future and if you're expecting for dialo to start running the show on the right wing side you guys don't know the premier league it will take him two to three years to be where you guys are putting him today..for two years people were crying for sancho even saying better sancho than kane and allover a sadden is better dialo than sanho we are not serious..we desperate need someone on that right hand side to balance our squad is the team balance which makes everything easier we saw with rashy and greeno against liverpool how it works with the team balance..
The hope is placed on Diallo by the football men at the club, including Solskjaer who knows the Premier League both as a player and a manager and he seems to think the player is ready to be part of the first team squad sooner rather than later.

So i'm gonna back the better judgement of our coaching staff when it comes to evaluating the players potential.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Around those numbers, but I think also if Lingard has a good spell at West Ham he might move there.

Last summer Moyes did register interest in Lingard/Jones which seemed bizarre.

Wonder what will happen with Pogba in the summer.

croadyman

Around those numbers, but I think also if Lingard has a good spell at West Ham he might move there.

Last summer Moyes did register interest in Lingard/Jones which seemed bizarre.

Wonder what will happen with Pogba in the summer.
Just needs Jesse to put the skids under City & the scousers if he does move there

RedDevilUnited369

Rice is easily got a £60m price tag so add Utd tax and WH will ask a nice £70m.

So we can hope Lingard goes on loan and impresses and we can maybe get it down to £63m?

Got a feeling Sancho to Utd won’t happen.

croadyman

Rice is easily got a £60m price tag so add Utd tax and WH will ask a nice £70m.

So we can hope Lingard goes on loan and impresses and we can maybe get it down to £63m?

Got a feeling Sancho to Utd won’t happen.
Do you see us buying an alternative RW then just out of interest

RedDevilUnited369

Do you see us buying an alternative RW then just out of interest
I think they will decide after seeing Diallo get a run. But with him and Pellistri on the books I’d be surprised if they shell out for Sancho unless a deal has already been agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.