Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
My posts and contention points are relevant to this thread. Especially when verifiably false claims are being used/presented to justify said "valuations". i.e "sancho is inconsistent/has suffered from huge fluctuation in stats across 2-3 seasons"

these are the numbers:

18/19 - 18 years old. made 34 league appearances . 29 goal contributions
19/20 - 19 years old. made 32 league appearances. 34 goal contributions
20/21 - current campaign. 20 years old. 16 league appearances thus far. 11 goal contributions

or "Leroy Sane has easily outperformed Sancho this season". Not true.

I'm sorry I don't put much stock in the opinions being voiced here and don't take them at face value as a result. So I asked that they are substantiated.

I didn't say I think he's worth 100M. Merely said I think he's worth more than 50M. There's a 50M range between those numbers, you know.
Well I’d rather stay with the topic, so here goes with the valuation:

For the 50m valuation, I give Sane as an example - he wants to leave City and won’t extend his contract, hence he is worth 50m. Let’s look at Sane stats in PL and CL:

Sane:

17-18: 10 goals and 17 assists in 41 games (PL & CL)
18-19: 14 goals and 14 assists in 39 games (PL & CL)
19-20: injured, only made 1 sub appearance
20-21: 6 goals and 5 assists in 20 games (BL & CL)
International: 6 goals in 25 games

I’d say he is not any less than Sancho at all, given that he has played in tougher league, where many BL best talents has flopped recently, so he is arguably even better, at least he is proven here at this level! And guess what, he only cost Bayern 50m last summer, so Sancho shouldn’t go any higher than that, especially in current COVID market where majority of clubs just don’t have any funds to spend.

TsuWave

Well I’d rather stay with the topic, so here goes with the valuation:

For the 50m valuation, I give Sane as an example - he wants to leave City and won’t extend his contract, hence he is worth 50m. Let’s look at Sane stats in PL and CL:

Sane:

17-18: 10 goals and 17 assists in 41 games (PL & CL)
18-19: 14 goals and 14 assists in 39 games (PL & CL)
19-20: injured, only made 1 sub appearance
20-21: 6 goals and 5 assists in 20 games (BL & CL)
International: 6 goals in 25 games

I’d say he is not any less than Sancho at all, given that he has played in tougher league, where many BL best talents has flopped recently, so he is arguably even better, at least he is proven here at this level! And guess what, he only cost Bayern 50m last summer, so Sancho shouldn’t go any higher than that, especially in current COVID market where majority of clubs just don’t have any funds to spend.
Ive already explained to you how my contention points with your posts are relevant to this thread. I don’t care about your 50M valuation. You reserve the right to have it and I’m ok with you having it. What’s not registering? :confused:

You made verifiably wrong assertions. They didn’t stick. I’ve addressed them and moved on.

Premier league supposedly being a stronger league than Bundesliga has not translated to the biggest club stage in recent times. Premier league “best” talents have flopped in different leagues too. It’s the nature of the sport. I don’t think La Liga is a tougher league than the Premier but look at Coutinho or Hazard. Ramsey was flabby and sick in flipping Serie A last time I checked. Players flopping in a different country is not the irrefutable proof that league A is > league B, you think it is.

Sane is 25 and was in his last contract year. You also brought up him being injured for damn near a season. Sancho is 20 with a contract til 2023. Producing similar or better output at a much younger age. If you don’t think this can impact what BVB values him at, especially in comparison to Sane, then you’re free to do it. Me, I’ll chuckle at your opinion and keep it moving.

It could be very well that Dortmund would be happy to take 50M for Sancho. I wouldn’t.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ive already explained to you how my contention points with your posts are relevant to this thread. I don’t care about your 50M valuation. You reserve the right to have it and I’m ok with you having it. What’s not registering? :confused:

You made verifiably wrong assertions. They didn’t stick. I’ve addressed them and moved on.

Premier league supposedly being a stronger league than Bundesliga has not translated to the biggest club stage in recent times. Premier league “best” talents have flopped in different leagues too. It’s the nature of the sport. I don’t think La Liga is a tougher league than the Premier but look at Coutinho or Hazard. Ramsey was flabby and sick in flipping Serie A last time I checked. Players flopping in a different country is not the irrefutable proof that league A is > league B, you think it is.

Sane is 25 and was in his last contract year. You also brought up him being injured for damn near a season. Sancho is 20 with a contract til 2023. Producing similar or better output at a much younger age. If you don’t think this can impact what BVB values him at, especially in comparison to Sane, then you’re free to do it. Me, I’ll chuckle at your opinion and keep it moving.

It could be very well that Dortmund would be happy to take 50M for Sancho. I wouldn’t.
I just don’t rate BL as highly as you do, we are talking about spending a huge amount of money during COVID market on someone who is only proven in BL, but not as consistent as we may wish a 100m rated player to be.

I mean, have you look at the most recent ones?

Werner in BL last season: 28 goals in 34 games
Werner in PL this season: 4 goals in 19 games

(with such impressive record in BL, Werner cost Chelsea 50m last summer, it’s 50m again!)

To be honest, it just doesn’t help giving me much confidence in BL talents with impressive stats over there...there are so many recent memories of high profile BL flops everywhere!

Given the fact that BL have poor track record of producing many flops elsewhere, especially in PL...and I have also seen Sancho as an average player in England shirts many times, I just won’t regard Sancho impressive record in BL as highly as you do, and just won’t go for anywhere near Dortmund valuation of him (100m).

That’s all about it.

My price of the player, as related to the topic of this thread, would be 50m, as I just don’t see him any better than Sane. Their stats and performances over past few years have been comparable at the very least. And I don’t see his stats/impact in BL really superior to Werner, who cost 50m too!

Another way to look at it, Haaland with buyout cost would cost 80m, yet at this price even spending giants like Real Madrid, Barca reportedly cant afford him, this is COVID market, remember? If many clubs can’t afford Haaland at 80m, who would want to buy Sancho for near or more of that amount? 50m for Sancho is just about right, realistically. Haaland is far better player and would only cost 80m.

Of course, Dortmund and you could insist on higher valuation, but just no one would be interest in buying him for higher price, just like last sumner. In the end, he may cost 0m when his contract ends.

Also, If you don’t care about valuation at all, maybe you should just move on to the other threads. Just a reminder, most of your posts in this thread have been off topic. This thread should be mainly about valuation.

Last edited:

reelworld

Also, Sancho is pretty much a BL product, not an EPL product. He made his name and improving his football in Germany. If he comes here there will be adjustment periods and I doubt that even if he adjusted he could matched or come close to his production there here.

The physicality and pace of English football is something that many players from abroad struggling with. Even with Sancho spending his youth career here, don't think it's going to help him much. PL first team football is not the same with U-23 matches

drmuji

I just don’t rate BL as highly as you do, we are talking about spending a huge amount of money during COVID market on someone who is only proven in BL, but not as consistent as we may wish a 100m rated player to be.

(with such impressive record in BL, Werner cost Chelsea 50m last summer, it’s 50m again!)

To be honest, it just doesn’t help giving me much confidence in BL talents with impressive stats over there...there are so many recent memories of high profile BL flops everywhere!

Given the fact that BL have poor track record of producing many flops elsewhere, especially in PL...and I have also seen Sancho as an average player in England shirts many times, I just won’t regard Sancho impressive record in BL as highly as you do, and just won’t go for anywhere near Dortmund valuation of him (100m).

That’s all about it.

My price of the player, as related to the topic of this thread, would be 50m, as I just don’t see him any better than Sane. Their stats and performances over past few years have been comparable at the very least. And I don’t see his stats/impact in BL really superior to Werner, who cost 50m too!

Another way to look at it, Haaland with buyout cost would cost 80m, yet at this price even spending giants like Real Madrid, Barca reportedly cant afford him, this is COVID market, remember? If many clubs can’t afford Haaland at 80m, who would want to buy Sancho for near or more of that amount? 50m for Sancho is just about right, realistically. Haaland is far better player and would only cost 80m.

Of course, Dortmund and you could insist on higher valuation, but just no one would be interest in buying him for higher price, just like last sumner. In the end, he may cost 0m when his contract ends.

Also, If you don’t care about valuation at all, maybe you should just move on to the other threads. Just a reminder, most of your posts in this thread have been off topic. This thread should be mainly about valuation.
Very aptly put. There aren't many teams who can afford 120 million in such circumstances. In fact even last year there weren't many teams except probably Chelsea who spent alot of money in transfer market. But then again Chelsea had money to spend because of transfer embargo and sale of Hazard.
I don't think except for City or PSG, anyone can realistically go after Sancho. City are not interested and PSG won't he preferred option of Sancho anyway since he wants to come back. So, I think in the end we will be the only team knocking at Dortmund door again and this time Dortmund won't have upper hand in negotiation

Man Yusuf united

The hope is placed on Diallo by the football men at the club, including Solskjaer who knows the Premier League both as a player and a manager and he seems to think the player is ready to be part of the first team squad sooner rather than later.

So i'm gonna back the better judgement of our coaching staff when it comes to evaluating the players potential.
I get your point but my point is i dont disagree with the club on what they see in dialo because is the same thing with me we both see dialo as a player for the future even ole has say that and for the club to give him chance earlier is normal because is to see what he can bring and then make a final decision on him..but right now we need someone who can go there straight and run the show

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Honestly if we're going to spend big money, I'd rather we get a striker (Cavani had shown us what we've been missing from Rashford and Martial) or someone to replace Pogba to ease the creative burden on Bruno when the latter inevitably leaves.

RkkMan

I think they will decide after seeing Diallo get a run. But with him and Pellistri on the books I’d be surprised if they shell out for Sancho unless a deal has already been agreed.
Pellistri is likely going out on loan next season too, Diallo has a handful of minutes at top level and Greenwood may start playing more games as a 9 than a RW. Plus Ducker said we`re still after Sancho and havent been put out by his form we still need him make no mistake

tenpoless

From "We have made the decision clear and there's no room for interpretation" and "you love to see it'

To "Eddy please! I have a wife and kids to feed but no CL money"

make it happen.

TsuWave

Also, Sancho is pretty much a BL product, not an EPL product. He made his name and improving his football in Germany. If he comes here there will be adjustment periods and I doubt that even if he adjusted he could matched or come close to his production there here.

The physicality and pace of English football is something that many players from abroad struggling with. Even with Sancho spending his youth career here, don't think it's going to help him much. PL first team football is not the same with U-23 matches
Sancho’s football education was made in England. He is a product of English football. He didn’t go through the youth channels of German football. The guy got there a ready made senior squad player.

Do people classify Ronaldo has a product of English football? We helped him progress and provided a stage but that would be some shameless credit claiming if they did

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Different players. Watching Werner it was clear he relies on pace and the space behind the defense. His finishing was always erratic but this season it's even worse. Sancho is playmaker with awesome close control. He doesn't rely on pace but more on his skills, game intelligence and also teammates.

Sancho might not replicate the same numbers as league is tougher than Bundesliga and also we don't play attacking game like Dortmund but he will be awesome addition and will be worth the money.

Man Yusuf united

So when ole wanted him and i'm not sure if it was true but i had man utd bid 90m£ they didn't know that that he was not going to cope with the pace of the premier league and staff there is a reason clubs went for young and talented players because you can make them what you want for them to be because they have time to learn and man utd is one of the special place for that

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Different players. Watching Werner it was clear he relies on pace and the space behind the defense. His finishing was always erratic but this season it's even worse. Sancho is playmaker with awesome close control. He doesn't rely on pace but more on his skills, game intelligence and also teammates.

Sancho might not replicate the same numbers as league is tougher than Bundesliga and also we don't play attacking game like Dortmund but he will be awesome addition and will be worth the money.
Question being, worth what amount of money? 30m, 50m, 70m, 100m, 120m?

Sure one could argue Maguire is awesome addition for our poor defence too, but most don’t think he worth 80m we’ve paid for, far from it actually. In fact, I thought Maguire should worth around 40-50m at most, especially at current COVID market, maybe no one would be interest to sign him for more than 30-40m.

There’s a price for everyone, what’s your price for Sancho then? Would you overpaid for him if Dortmund ask for unrealistic price?

roonster09

Scout
Question being, worth what amount of money? 30m, 50m, 70m, 100m, 120m?

Sure one could argue Maguire is awesome addition for our poor defence too, but most don’t think he worth 80m we’ve paid for, far from it actually. In fact, I thought Maguire should worth around 40-50m at most, especially at current COVID market, as he is playing at about that level for us anyway.

There’s a price for everyone, what’s your price for Sancho then? Would you overpaid for him if Dortmund ask for unrealistic price?
Maguire is not as talented as Sancho. Not every improvement is worth the same money. Sancho is brilliant talent and it's sort of wrong to call him 'Brilliant talent' considering he is brilliant player already.

Yes, he is inconsistent this season and in general struggled against big teams but it's so easy to forget he is just 20.

So lets say we pay 100 million for him, do you think he isn't worth it considering he will have at least 10 more years at very top level and even if he leaves, we will recoup most of the money?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Aren't his stats similar to Gnabry? I'm still shocked at his transformation from the Arsenal player to his performances now.

I don't watch Gnabry much but is he as good as his stats suggest?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Maguire is not as talented as Sancho. Not every improvement is worth the same money. Sancho is brilliant talent and it's sort of wrong to call him 'Brilliant talent' considering he is brilliant player already.

Yes, he is inconsistent this season and in general struggled against big teams but it's so easy to forget he is just 20.

So lets say we pay 100 million for him, do you think he isn't worth it considering he will have at least 10 more years at very top level and even if he leaves, we will recoup most of the money?
If we have 100m to spend, I’d rather go all in for Haaland, to be honest. It’s no brainer. Sancho is no longer our top priority, there are several reasons for that:

1. Dortmund asking for unrealistic price during COVID market when no one have money to spend.

2. Sancho has been in poor form this season, which won’t justify for huge amount of money we have to pay him for. If we could only afford 70-80m max for him last summer, after he had great season. We surely wouldn’t go for same amount or more than that, after he had a poor season.

3.We have bought Diallo recently, another very talented young right winger. Ole recently said he believes Diallo would provide us great option on the right side attack. If Diallo fit in well here, there would be no immediate urgency for us to overpaid for Sancho.

4. Haaland and Mabappe could be available in market soon, there aren’t many clubs who could afford them, if we have 100m+ budget, we should go all in for either of them. It’s now or never.

5. If Dortmund willing to lower their asking price to say 80m, would you spend all 80m for him? Or try to get Grealish from Villa? Or even try to get Haaland for sane price instead? I’d rather have Haaland or even Grealish over Sancho at same price, to be honest.

Now if Sancho only cost 50m, it’s another story. Haaland at 80m, or Grealish at 80m, or Sancho at 50m, it more difficult to choose. I’d still go for Haaland though. Below is the likely scenario this coming summer (or next 2 windows)

Mbappe for 100-120m
Haaland for 80m
Grealish for 80m
Sancho for 80-100m

Clubs who could afford these players in COVID market: PSG, City, Man Utd

Sancho looks by far the least attractive option at that price range, I’m afraid. Unless he only cost us 50m, that would give us a good budget option if we fail to land Haaland/Mbappe/Grealish

Last edited:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I can understand people having reservations about him due to the potential transition from the Bundesliga to the EPL. But IMO we will play a more expansive game next season because Solskjaer is a attack minded manager and if/when he signs a DM and CB the platform will then be there to sacrifice defensive stability for goals. But currently, Solskjaer doesn't seem to trust our players in the defensive zones to clean up in isolation which is understandable.

Sancho is best deployed as a left sided forward IMO. At Dortmund he had Hakimi behind him who provided the width on the right which really helped open up space for Sancho to play. But Hakimi isn't there anymore so it's natural to see his form dip a little.

But I still hope we sign him or Grealish because next season I'm expecting Solskjaer to revert to his default approach of playing a more expansive game which will help the likes of Sancho to potentially thrive. Sancho can also cover for us on the right if needs be to rest Diallo, who I'm backing to be our first choice right sided forward long term.

roonster09

Scout
If we have 100m to spend, I’d rather go all in for Haaland, to be honest. It’s no brainer. Sancho is no longer our top priority, there are several reasons for that:

1. Dortmund asking for unrealistic price during COVID market when no one have money to spend.

2. Sancho has been in poor form this season, which won’t justify for huge amount of money we have to pay him for. If we could only afford 70-80m max for him last summer, after he had great season. We surely wouldn’t go for same amount or more than that, after he had a poor season.

3.We have bought Diallo recently, another very talented young right winger. Ole recently said he believes Diallo would provide us great option on the right side attack. If Diallo fit in well here, there would be no immediate urgency for us to overpaid for Sancho.

4. Haaland and Mabappe could be available in market soon, there aren’t many clubs who could afford them, if we have 100m+ budget, we should go all in for either of them. It’s now or never.

5. If Dortmund willing to lower their asking price to say 80m, would you spend all 80m for him? Or try to get Grealish from Villa? Or even try to get Haaland for sane price instead? I’d rather have Haaland or even Grealish over Sancho at same price, to be honest.
It wasn't about Sancho vs Haaland. If that's the case, I would go for Haaland too. he would take this team to next level.

romufc

Hasn't Ole come out and said Diallo prefers the right and will be given time to prove he is the man for the position?

If that is the case, it seems to me as if he is hinting at no Sancho in the summer?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It wasn't about Sancho vs Haaland. If that's the case, I would go for Haaland too. he would take this team to next level.
It’s about spending around 80-100m next summer though. Surely you won’t expect us to have 200m to spend next summer all of sudden?

roonster09

Scout
It’s about spending around 80-100m next summer though. Surely you won’t expect us to have 200m to spend next summer all of sudden?
I won't expect us to sign Haaland either. Also there is no point spending 100 million non Haaland when his release clause is around 60 million.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I won't expect us to sign Haaland either. Also there is no point spending 100 million non Haaland when his release clause is around 60 million.
I thought his release clause is 80m? If it’s 60m, it’s even no brainer.

RedDevilzFox

Its insane folks wanting to spend 100m on this guy, let alone in this climate where clubs are struggling and taking loans to survive. I hope people won't pin this on "Ed" when it inevitably turns out he was never worth anywhere close to 100m. He is probably a 40-50m talent and even then I am not sure he is what United need right now. We need a striker and need to plug the defense that's leaking goals all year.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Hasn't Ole come out and said Diallo prefers the right and will be given time to prove he is the man for the position?

If that is the case, it seems to me as if he is hinting at no Sancho in the summer?

GBBQ

I mean he could just give him the second half of the season before deciding. Also Ole wants good competition in all positions so Sancho / Diallo covering right wing might be his plan. They can all rotate too so I don't see it as being either or.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
And I don’t see his stats/impact in BL really superior to Werner, who cost 50m too
Werner's price was dictated by a release clause, he would have gone for far more if that clause didn't exist

Judas

Open to offers
Can the thread title be changed? This thread is no longer about if people want to spend 100m on him yet people keep answering that question. That's simply not his price, he won't be that much. It's just a general Sancho thread now.

ovoxo

That’s the vibe I got too. Especially given he said

"Well that’s his preferred position," Solskjaer noted. "He is good at finding space, he can go inside and outside and he will get the time to prove that he is the one”

RedDevilzFox

Can the thread title be changed? This thread is no longer about if people want to spend 100m on him yet people keep answering that question. That's simply not his price, he won't be that much. It's just a general Sancho thread now.
What's his price and how do you know it? As far as I know Dortmund held out for 120m and haven't said anything different since.

romufc

That’s the vibe I got too. Especially given he said

"Well that’s his preferred position," Solskjaer noted. "He is good at finding space, he can go inside and outside and he will get the time to prove that he is the one”
Maybe, Ole and the board have thought about it and looked at the impact a top ST can have, So they may be looking at other areas to improve on now.

I would still say the CDM is very important, if Diallo starts doing well, we still have Greenwood, Pellestri who can do a job there in the future, they are all young players too.

At the end of the day, if Diallo does well, I would prefer to spend the money on other areas too. £80m is still alot of money for Sancho.

Judas

Open to offers
We know Ole has wanted a proper striker for a couple of years, I do think there's a chance focus has shifted at seeing just what a monumental impact Cavani has made on our play, that we'll really want to get a new one in.

Personally Diallo will have to really make a massive splash from now till the end of the season for me to not want a RW in the summer still.

ovoxo

Maybe, Ole and the board have thought about it and looked at the impact a top ST can have, So they may be looking at other areas to improve on now.

I would still say the CDM is very important, if Diallo starts doing well, we still have Greenwood, Pellestri who can do a job there in the future, they are all young players too.

At the end of the day, if Diallo does well, I would prefer to spend the money on other areas too. £80m is still alot of money for Sancho.
I’m in the same boat. We’ve gone many seasons without a RW, now we have some options there I’d like to be patient to see if Diallo can really take that spot as his own. Granted there may be inconsistency on the way.

I can see Cavani staying another season and then us going all out for Haaland in 2022.

romufc

I’m in the same boat. We’ve gone many seasons without a RW, now we have some options there I’d like to be patient to see if Diallo can really take that spot as his own. Granted there may be inconsistency on the way.

I can see Cavani staying another season and then us going all out for Haaland in 2022.
How I see it:

1. Diallo gets 6 months to get used to the league, the coaches get to see what he can do.
2. We can plan ahead, if Cavani signs another year, we can go for Haaland next summer.
3. Improve other areas of the squad to make us more robust in midfield.

The one thing I want to see is us passing the ball better, will Sancho help that much? yes but not as much as getting a real presence in the midfield to complement who we already have.

Born2Lose

Be so funny if Ed gets one over on the hipsters and Diallo turns out to be a diamond.

FreddieTheReddie

I don’t know why the original transfer thread was closed in the first place. 5th October passed but we still need a place to discuss the possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.