Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsuWave

Manchester United league finishes:

15/16 - 5th
16/17 - 6th
17/18 - 2nd
18/19 - 6th
19/20 - 3rd

Manchester United fans: “let’s pass up on one of the most consistent forwards of the past 2.5 seasons, a 20 year old that has been outperforming majority of his peers, and one the best talents in world football, because it might hinder the development of-“

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

15/16 - 5th
16/17 - 6th
17/18 - 2nd
18/19 - 6th
19/20 - 3rd

Manchester United fans: “let’s pass up on one of the most consistent forwards of the past 2.5 seasons, a 20 year old that has been outperforming majority of his peers, and one the best talents in world football, because it might hinder the development of-“
Yup. He's a no brainer. Especially when you consider he plays in a real position of need for us.

FreddieTheReddie

15/16 - 5th
16/17 - 6th
17/18 - 2nd
18/19 - 6th
19/20 - 3rd

...because this winger might hinder the development of a striker.

BlahRules

We need a proper winger that is delivering. Sancho will add that and give us balance that we need badly.

redshaw

Would be nice to have some quality like Sancho but it'll be a big outlay for a non oil club even if it's £70-80m. Some installments and addons are really required. He'll have two years left this summer.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Would still sign him. Incredible ability and plays in our possibly our weakest position

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Greenwood, Amad and Shoretire.......not sure there'd be any room or major need for Sancho in the squad moving forward.
Shoretire is 17 and is not going to be ready for sometime, so there is potential room for Sancho. Especially if Shoretire goes on loan at some point, and Greenwood moves to the centre. It may well be him, Pellistri and Amad competing for that right wing spot.

Obiorahking_

My thinking is that if this guy isn't a game changer then why bother? It seems like Dortmund folks don't even rate him that highly so why blow big money on him? I'd rather wait until his contract runs down. The way I see it, we need more Bruno's in the squad. I reckon that an in form Rashford + Bruno + another game changer + top tier defense is more than enough to challenge for the title. Its just a matter of who.

Judas

Open to offers
My thinking is that if this guy isn't a game changer then why bother? It seems like Dortmund folks don't even rate him that highly so why blow big money on him? I'd rather wait until his contract runs down. The way I see it, we need more Bruno's in the squad. I reckon that an in form Rashford + Bruno + another game changer + top tier defense is more than enough to challenge for the title. Its just a matter of who.
How'd you decide this was a thing?

passing-wind

10 goals 15 assists in just under 30 fixtures isn't influencing a game ? Compared to what we have available Sancho even in this 'lesser' season would walk into the starting 11. You've mentioned game changer but have been unable to provide a specific player because there is none. There's no one aside maybe Mbappe who's going to provide that level of input in an area we lack quality.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
How'd you decide this was a thing?
I looked in Reddit and some Dortmund fans do think he goes missing in big games.

This is something I personally think because I dont think he has been that great whenever I saw him in the CL matches.

Some Dortmund fans disagree about this whilst some do think it's a weakness of his.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Is that a Dortmund issue though, they're not exactly known for coming good on the big occasion. Like a German Spurs.
That's true but you consider Haalands performances in the CL completely outshine Sancho's in my opinion. Dortmund do have a CL final reaching season aswell (a bit like spurs!) so I feel like they would still know when someone maybe isnt performing as best as he could.

I still want Sancho here but I do worry about him not having jaw dropping performances in the CL and we were going for him at one point near 100 million. Then you consider that alot of the fans think his best version is on the left (even though he can perform on the right) and it makes you further worry about him not performing in CL matches for us and costing nearer to 100 million.

Obiorahking_

10 goals 15 assists in just under 30 fixtures isn't influencing a game ? Compared to what we have available Sancho even in this 'lesser' season would walk into the starting 11. You've mentioned game changer but have been unable to provide a specific player because there is none. There's no one aside maybe Mbappe who's going to provide that level of input in an area we lack quality.
I love stats as much as the next guy, but I fear that he's going to be another Miki/Havertz. Miki had terrific numbers for 2 seasons at Dortmund but couldn't cut in the prem. It gets even riskier once you factor in how horrible he looked to start the season. He's going to command a big price tag and we simply can't keep throwing money at these kinds of guys. Besides, our gamechanger doesn't have to come from the right, we could find a serviceable option in the meantime but I'm getting these dangerous vibes that he only plays well if the supporting cast is playing well. This isn't a very fleshed out opinion so I don't blame others for disagreeing, just a strong concerned feeling based on our encounters with similar players.

AgentSmith

I love stats as much as the next guy, but I fear that he's going to be another Miki/Havertz. Miki had terrific numbers for 2 seasons at Dortmund but couldn't cut in the prem. It gets even riskier once you factor in how horrible he looked to start the season. He's going to command a big price tag and we simply can't keep throwing money at these kinds of guys. Besides, our gamechanger doesn't have to come from the right, we could find a serviceable option in the meantime but I'm getting these dangerous vibes that he only plays well if the supporting cast is playing well. This isn't a very fleshed out opinion so I don't blame others for disagreeing, just a strong concerned feeling based on our encounters with similar players.
Sancho grew up in English football.

The physicality and intensity of it shouldn’t faze him to the extent it can affect other European imports.

Obiorahking_

Sancho grew up in English football.

The physicality and intensity of it shouldn’t faze him to the extent it can affect other European imports.
Not so much the difference in the competition, but whether or not you he can take that big step to be a consistent "gamechanger" for us like Bruno and Rashford(in form) have.

TsuWave

I looked in Reddit and some Dortmund fans do think he goes missing in big games.

This is something I personally think because I dont think he has been that great whenever I saw him in the CL matches.

Some Dortmund fans disagree about this whilst some do think it's a weakness of his.
The same has been said about Bruno

AgentSmith

Not so much the difference in the competition, but whether or not you he can take that big step to be a consistent "gamechanger" for us like Bruno and Rashford(in form) have.
Yeah I guess that’s always a concern but it’s positive that we already have those two game changers in the team. Adding Sancho to the mix will only make things easier for them (as well as Wan-Bissaka).

There’s also a technical consistency to his game that Bruno and Rashford lack. They can be erratic with the ball e.g. a phenomenal first touch then a rubbish 10 yard pass. Sancho would provide a nice compliment to them both I feel while offering us a genuine outlet on the right.

croadyman

Yeah I guess that’s always a concern but it’s positive that we already have those two game changers in the team. Adding Sancho to the mix will only make things easier for them (as well as Wan-Bissaka).

There’s also a technical consistency to his game that Bruno and Rashford lack. They can be erratic with the ball e.g. a phenomenal first touch then a rubbish 10 yard pass. Sancho would provide a nice compliment to them both I feel while offering us a genuine outlet on the right.
That is a very valid point and something we should consider

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It's not really the same situation as Mkhitaryan. He was already in his prime and his three seasons in Germany were poor, decent and great. We hoped that he was a bit of a late bloomer and his last season was a sign of things to come, but it turns out that it was the outier. Havertz also wasn't as impressive as Sancho despite being a year older.

Sancho came through the English youth ranks and was the star of an incredibly dominant international youth team (ahead of the likes of Foden and CHO). Since going to Germany he's been putting up pretty much unprecedented numbers. Even at the start of this season during his only poor period since going there he was getting an assist every second game, and he's now up to 20 goals/assists in 26 matches in the league and CL this season. There's no such thing as a guarantee but he's much more likely to succeed than Mkhi was, and more likely than probably any young player other than maybe Haaland and Mbappe.

croadyman

I think last night showed that we still need to sign Jadon because it will allow us to gradually phase Amad in whilst still having a starter RW in that position which takes all the pressure off his young shoulders, the problem is that Utd see a CF as higher priority this summer so we may well have to make do for another season.

passing-wind

Those suggesting Amad to start the wing position weekly need a reality check. We require an established individual to immediately fill that position. I'm not saying Diallo isn't good but he's not even played 5 fixtures for the senior team. He needs time and will rightly so provide competition in those areas.

croadyman

Those suggesting Amad to start the wing position weekly need a reality check. We require an established individual to immediately fill that position. I'm not saying Diallo isn't good but he's not even played 5 fixtures for the senior team. He needs time and will rightly so provide competition in those areas.
BANG ON but feels like it's Jadon or bust in this position again

dinostar77

We have diallo, james, greenwood and potentially pellestri who can play in that position. More than enough variation and cover for the wing. Sancho is a nice to have, rather than a must have like a CB partner to maguire is.

I think Sancho this summer will come down to price. If its low enough for Utd to bite. Also what happens with haala d. Otherwise i dont see Sancho coming here this summer.

Rocknrolla69er

I honestly cannot see us buying diallo to be our short term RW fix. The lad has zero experiance, and will take a lot of time to settle, fully expect us to still sign Sancho with Diallo as understudy and solid squad depth.

Rocknrolla69er

We have diallo, james, greenwood and potentially pellestri who can play in that position. More than enough variation and cover for the wing. Sancho is a nice to have, rather than a must have like a CB partner to maguire is.

I think Sancho this summer will come down to price. If its low enough for Utd to bite. Also what happens with haala d. Otherwise i dont see Sancho coming here this summer.
None mentioned have the consistency and end product of Sancho .therefore I'd say he's a must have or its settling for second best or unproven

tomaldinho1

15/16 - 5th
16/17 - 6th
17/18 - 2nd
18/19 - 6th
19/20 - 3rd

I've never seen anyone say this for RW in fairness. Although now we have the demi-god that is Amad, maybe we will.

Judas

Open to offers
I honestly cannot see us buying diallo to be our short term RW fix. The lad has zero experiance, and will take a lot of time to settle, fully expect us to still sign Sancho with Diallo as understudy and solid squad depth.
Same but some on here seem to think its logical to put all our eggs in the Amad basket based on very little.

DoomSlayer

Would anyone here take a straight swap for Martial? More importantly, would Dortmund be interested in Martial?

SplitzMagic

Marcel Sabitzer

1 year left on contract this summer. He's who we needed instead of VDB.

Feel like he would compliment Bruno so well especially with a CDM like Ndidi/Rice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.