Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loon

:lol:
I've seen nothing of this kid, but I assume he's still turning it on for Dortmund this season and still the player to get?

Giggsy13

People assumed our spending for RW was done when we bought Amad and Pellistri. One is on loan and the other is getting minutes only here and there. We should be patient with these kids but let's not assume that fixes the issue.
Agreed. It only goes to show the club have finally put their mind to addressing the right side, which is several years too late. If not Sancho, there are other options like Raphinha who we could possibly obtain in a swap plus fee for James.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
No-one is paying €80m in this market where all clubs are losing money, they just aren’t
But if Real pays over 130m and gets Mpappe, Chelsea or City pay over 130 get Halland and we dont pay for 80m for Sancho lets not cry when we are still rebuilding in a few years while they are competing for trophies.

Idxomer

I've seen nothing of this kid, but I assume he's still turning it on for Dortmund this season and still the player to get?
Started badly but his form improved as the season went on and started to put some healthy numbers, he's been injured since early March.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think your common sense isn’t shared by Dortmund though.
Well they can want on. Unless they accept something like 60m in cash over seperate seasons and 10-20m in add-ons. Otherwise forget about him this summer.

We have multiple parts to complete this jigsaw and a depleted budget

golden_blunder

Staff
But if Real pays over 130m and gets Mpappe, Chelsea or City pay over 130 get Halland and we dont pay for 80m for Sancho lets not cry when we are still rebuilding in a few years while they are competing for trophies.
First off, no way they get both in the same season. No way. They are also in large debt. They may put themselves into more debt but I don’t see them paying 130m for Haaland.

If Chelsea or city get him, they get him. 1 man doesn’t make a team.

There is no way in hell we are splashing 80m on one player this summer. Dream on lads

golden_blunder

Staff
Let's not forget Chelsea bought Havertz for £70m just over 6 months ago.
Chelsea are different, they have an active billionaire owner. That being said they had their splash after a partial season. This season has literally been no fans all season and the season is almost over.

Giggsy13

Well they can want on. Unless they accept something like 60m in cash over seperate seasons and 10-20m in add-ons. Otherwise forget about him this summer.

If Sancho finally starts agitating for a move then that may help deal with the brittle egos at Dortmund who were swinging their needle dicks around bragging about they got one over us. I would honestly love to see it but agree also that our needle dick owners won’t pay €80 million up front either.

-Supreme-

Chelsea are different, they have an active billionaire owner. That being said they had their splash after a partial season. This season has literally been no fans all season and the season is almost over.
They still paid 70m in the peak of the pandemic and fully expected there'd be no fans this season anyway.

I'm not expecting us to pay this amount for Sancho, but it doesn't mean other clubs like Chelsea wouldn't.

golden_blunder

Staff
They still paid 70m in the peak of the pandemic and fully expected there'd be no fans this season anyway.

I'm not expecting us to pay this amount for Sancho, but it doesn't mean other clubs like Chelsea wouldn't.
Like I say, they might, because they have a billionaire but if they do it by looking at what the club bring in, they might very well not unless they plan to sell first.
I’m not worried about what others do. That’s their own problem

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
First off, no way they get both in the same season. No way. They are also in large debt. They may put themselves into more debt but I don’t see them paying 130m for Haaland.

If Chelsea or city get him, they get him. 1 man doesn’t make a team.

There is no way in hell we are splashing 80m on one player this summer. Dream on lads
The price has dropped to 80m because of the covid market, 80m is the covid price and if we want to get back to the top we should buy him, we need to buy the best players to compete with the best teams. Like I said, if Real spend over 120m for Mpappe or Chelsea over 120m for Haalland we might as well accept that we will always be rebuilding while they add world class players and compete.
We should take advantage of this "covid market" and spend money now that other clubs can't and prices have dropped, and bring in game changing players, take advantage of this summer and not use it as an excuse.
Or we can do what we did last summer sign 4 players of which 3 hardly ever played and the fourth that wants to leave 7 months after we gave him the number 7 shirt.

Phil Osophy

I can see Dortmund setting the bar around € 80 M as you say, surely the max. they can expect.

It's still high in the current circumstances, for a player aiming to leave and a club potentially needing to sell players. If they are reasonable I can see the deal being reached in good conditions for everyone. If they're still operating like "X or nothing all up front before next sunday at 10.37 AM" they can do one.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Based on no special insight, I’d bet they would at least start a serious conversation with €70M on the table.

Redcy

Ridiculous when you consider Rashford is at double figures already this season. Mason’s natural position is play down the middle as our 9, so why delay that further. Give him a run of a games and he’ll score plenty. Give him a natural winger in Sancho even better.
on what basis is masons natural game down the middle? Nothing about his games played there suggest his natural position is a cf, looks completely lost whenever he is played there, and spends all his time frustratingly outside the box

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Back in September very few expected a full season of no fans. In fact I think we were expecting some back in October.

If every team holds to selling prices they were expecting pre pandemic then hardly anyone will be buying this summer.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Back in September very few expected a full season of no fans. In fact I think we were expecting some back in October.

If every team holds to selling prices they were expecting pre pandemic then hardly anyone will be buying this summer.
No one outside of Texas or Florida (or some other backwards owners you want to put here) expected enough fans in attendance to make a significant impact on revenue for their sports franchise in that timeframe.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
No one outside of Texas or Florida (or some other backwards owners you want to put here) expected enough fans in attendance to make a significant impact on revenue for their sports franchise in that timeframe.
Many teams wouldn't have even done the business they did last summer if they expected this. Didn't Germany already have some fans back in when the transfer window closed? It was expected that other countries would soon follow. Unless I'm remembering wrong.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers

Agreed.

To manage my eventual disappointment, I'm bracing myself for a window of inactivity. Not many cheap quality deals to be made unless we look at youth.

BaillyBaillyBailly

Agreed.

To manage my eventual disappointment, I'm bracing myself for a window of inactivity. Not many cheap quality deals to be made unless we look at youth.
I actually believe that this is the summer United will go hard in the transfer market. This is an incredible opportunity to steal a march on everyone in the league except city and I believe the club know that. No club in the PL (city and united aside) can spend £100m+ this summer and get away with it.

For example, I would expect that currently the only clubs for example who can realistically afford Haaland are City, United, Real and PSG. Real are focused on Mbappe and apparently he has told PSG today he won't extend his contract there so it seems he is Real bound. PSG are looking at Messi, but I don't think that is possible unless Mbappe leaves because how can you afford to pay the wages of Neymar, Mbappe and Messi (whilst also paying Di Maria, Marquinos, Veratti etc). City seems the most likely destination for Haaland.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked to see United offer Dortmund £150m + Martial for Haaland and Sancho this summer. I don't think its likely, but I think we have the ability to do so.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
2 years left on his contract and Dortmund has lost lot of money due to covid. I can't see how Dortmund is trying to play hard ball on this one again, they will be stupid to do so. However, I have seen them being stupid on Hummels and Lewandowski cases that they chose to play hard ball on players who only had around 2 years left in their contract but end up as failure which lost them for nothing and the worst part was lost them to their rival. But that was ages ago.

RW is my no 1 priority and I think the club also believe this is one of their main priority. Sancho will be a great additional because he can offer goals, assists, flair and versatility to play the three attacking mid positions. We had 9 draws in the league this season and most of them were 0-0 results or under 2 goal, adding him to the squad will improve us massively for that 0-0 draw results we had.

RkkMan

No-one is paying €80m in this market where all clubs are losing money, they just aren’t
We offered 30m more than that(including add ons) to BVB last summer on top of spending 40m on VDB and fans are coming back so Utd can do careful financial projections with the assumption that any extra funds we spend will be gotten back at some point next season season plus Sancho will be significantly cheaper this time

Last edited:

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Structured with add-ons and all that. No more then 70 up front I suspect though.
Structured or not its not happening.

Football businesses need fans back in stadiums.

Big fees are finished at 99.9% of clubs for a few years until this Covid Fiasco is over.

UpWithRivers

Literally the same arguments as last year. Its a covid market they will drop to 70/80. Man United will spend big to catch up. Its a great opportunity with prices dropped. Except it never happens. Ever. We say this year in year out. Dortmund will not and cannot lose face. They will try sell Haaland for a massive fee and play hardball with Sancho. Covid or no covid. Its how they work. Its like trying to get Levy to accept 80 for Kane cos its covid.

Bwuk

Structured or not its not happening.

Football businesses need fans back in stadiums.

Big fees are finished at 99.9% of clubs for a few years until this Covid Fiasco is over.
I think big fees are likely to be finished anyway. It makes more sense from players point of view to sign shorter term contracts. The likes of Kane/Grealish etc could be playing for Champions League sides on double their wages if they didn't have as hard contracts to get out of.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Literally the same arguments as last year. Its a covid market they will drop to 70/80. Man United will spend big to catch up. Its a great opportunity with prices dropped. Except it never happens. Ever. We say this year in year out. Dortmund will not and cannot lose face. They will try sell Haaland for a massive fee and play hardball with Sancho. Covid or no covid. Its how they work. Its like trying to get Levy to accept 80 for Kane cos its covid.
So why has it to be like that and why can't it be the other way around. They will try to sell Sancho for 70m-80m or lower to avoid the chance of leaving him in his final year of contract and play hardball with Haaland?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I think big fees are likely to be finished anyway. It makes more sense from players point of view to sign shorter term contracts. The likes of Kane/Grealish etc could be playing for Champions League sides on double their wages if they didn't have as hard contracts to get out of.
Yeah totally agree.
Suits agents as well to move players around even more

jackal&hyde

If they don't let Sancho go this season for a decent fee I can see all of their future young talent demand release fees. They stood their ground for a couple of seasons now; 70 mil for a winger that is desperate to move is a good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.