Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan_

2 years left on his contract and Dortmund has lost lot of money due to covid. I can't see how Dortmund is trying to play hard ball on this one again, they will be stupid to do so. However, I have seen them being stupid on Hummels and Lewandowski cases that they chose to play hard ball on players who only had around 2 years left in their contract but end up as failure which lost them for nothing and the worst part was lost them to their rival. But that was ages ago.

RW is my no 1 priority and I think the club also believe this is one of their main priority. Sancho will be a great additional because he can offer goals, assists, flair and versatility to play the three attacking mid positions. We had 9 draws in the league this season and most of them were 0-0 results or under 2 goal, adding him to the squad will improve us massively for that 0-0 draw results we had.
An element of this potential Sancho transfer that is not talked about enough is his ability to play LW. We may not need to replace Martial if we're able to push Rashford to CF. I'd argue Sancho is actually more effective than Rashford at LW.

Front 3 of Sancho - Rashford - Greenwood (or Diallo) looks quite appealing to me.

RkkMan

Structured or not its not happening.

Football businesses need fans back in stadiums.

Big fees are finished at 99.9% of clubs for a few years until this Covid Fiasco is over.
Referring to my earlier post we offered 90m euros plus 20m add ons(110m in total)for Sancho last summer despite COVID yes we`ve lost more money now but a good portion of that fee should still be available this summer plus with our new shirt sponsor n top of new car and training kit sponsors to come we should still be able to make at least one marquee signing its been detailed by people close to Utd that funds are available for one big signing but the rest would be dependent on sales.
In Sancho`s case I think his fee this time will be 90-100m euros with a portion of that able to be waivered with add ons we offered more than that last summer so its not ridiculous to think we are capable of affording him plus fans will be back in stadiums next season so hypothetically Utd could borrow a few safe loans knowing that it will be paid back over a period with gate receipts of fans coming back next season

Cman

I actually believe that this is the summer United will go hard in the transfer market. This is an incredible opportunity to steal a march on everyone in the league except city and I believe the club know that. No club in the PL (city and united aside) can spend £100m+ this summer and get away with it.

For example, I would expect that currently the only clubs for example who can realistically afford Haaland are City, United, Real and PSG. Real are focused on Mbappe and apparently he has told PSG today he won't extend his contract there so it seems he is Real bound. PSG are looking at Messi, but I don't think that is possible unless Mbappe leaves because how can you afford to pay the wages of Neymar, Mbappe and Messi (whilst also paying Di Maria, Marquinos, Veratti etc). City seems the most likely destination for Haaland.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked to see United offer Dortmund £150m + Martial for Haaland and Sancho this summer. I don't think its likely, but I think we have the ability to do so.
Im with you on this one. I know we have all being scarred by the past few transfer windows and there is good reasons to believe it will be more of the same this year but I’m taking a more positive view.

The main reason I think we will be more proactive in this window is because I think it makes financial sense for us to do so.
Take Sancho as an example, his market value was £90 mil last year( most anybody was willing to pay for him not what Dortmund wanted ). This year after no fans all season, his drop in form and being a year older his value has to have dropped between 10-20mil. The market will prob correct itself back to pre covid fees within 2 years( certain the top end of the market).
That represents a hugh saving.

There would have to been lots of other opportunities we can exploit in addition to this. Woodward came out this time last year and said we were going to be in a very strong position last summer to take advantage of the covid situation and we all know how that ended. I wonder has he learn his lesson this year and keeping a strong hand closer to his chest.

Also if we were to get a deal for Sancho over the line early in the window(which I believe will happen) if anything I think it would help our bargaining position for any other deals. For Example- yes we rate Rice very highly but we have just spent most of our transfer money on Sancho and covid has left us skint how about Lingard and £30mil?!
Spending extra money in this window on the right players could see the overall value of the club/playing list improve dramatically over next couple of years. Even if it means we will have less to spend in the following 2 summer transfer windows it might be the smart thing to do.
Here’s to hoping anyways.

RkkMan

Im with you on this one. I know we have all being scarred by the past few transfer windows and there is good reasons to believe it will be more of the same this year but I’m taking a more positive view.

The main reason I think we will be more proactive in this window is because I think it makes financial sense for us to do so.
Take Sancho as an example, his market value was £90 mil last year( most anybody was willing to pay for him not what Dortmund wanted ). This year after no fans all season, his drop in form and being a year older his value has to have dropped between 10-20mil. The market will prob correct itself back to pre covid fees within 2 years( certain the top end of the market).
That represents a hugh saving.

There would have to been lots of other opportunities we can exploit in addition to this. Woodward came out this time last year and said we were going to be in a very strong position last summer to take advantage of the covid situation and we all know how that ended. I wonder has he learn his lesson this year and keeping a strong hand closer to his chest.

Also if we were to get a deal for Sancho over the line early in the window(which I believe will happen) if anything I think it would help our bargaining position for any other deals. For Example- yes we rate Rice very highly but we have just spent most of our transfer money on Sancho and covid has left us skint how about Lingard and £30mil?!
Spending extra money in this window on the right players could see the overall value of the club/playing list improve dramatically over next couple of years. Even if it means we will have less to spend in the following 2 summer transfer windows it might be the smart thing to do.
Here’s to hoping anyways.
Also factor in departures. Bailly leaving means we'll 100% sign a new CB, Cavani leaving means at least one top attacking signing will happen(Sancho?), Dalot/Laird/Williams all leaving permanently/on loan means we'll 100% sign a RB and De Gea leaving means a back up GK will be on the cards.
If Pogba leaves I fully expect us to sign Rice as well. I'm a skeptic like many people here but like you I genuinely have a feeling our summer will be a good one

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Literally the same arguments as last year. Its a covid market they will drop to 70/80. Man United will spend big to catch up. Its a great opportunity with prices dropped. Except it never happens. Ever. We say this year in year out. Dortmund will not and cannot lose face. They will try sell Haaland for a massive fee and play hardball with Sancho. Covid or no covid. Its how they work. Its like trying to get Levy to accept 80 for Kane cos its covid.
Last year we played a little of the season with fans. This season we have had no fans. Next season we don’t know if it’ll be full fans, restricted fans or in the case of a new variant taking over, no fans. So I don’t see how anyone will fund a full splurge

RkkMan

Not to forget our normal net spend is usually around 80m anyway
Let's say we spend €80m up front for Sancho, circa €30m plus Bailly for Pau Torres(talk today Villareal are willing to sell for around €50m), Lucas Vasquez for free, €15m on a random back up GK and say €65m plus Lingard for Rice that's €190m including sales it could look like this(I'm assuming Jones stays or gets paid off and De Gea leaves on loan not permanently)
Dalot- €20m(Ancelotti apparently views him as his top RB target they wanted him last summer mind you)
Pogba- €65m
Pereira- €10m
That's €95m net which is around £80m pretty plausible. You could probably chuck in Matic leaving as well

golden_blunder

Staff
Let's say we spend €80m up front for Sancho, circa €30m plus Bailly for Pau Torres(talk today Villareal are willing to sell for around €50m), Lucas Vasquez for free, €15m on a random back up GK and say €65m plus Lingard for Rice that's €190m including sales it could look like this(I'm assuming Jones stays or gets paid off and De Gea leaves on loan not permanently)
Dalot- €20m(Ancelotti apparently views him as his top RB target they wanted him last summer mind you)
Pogba- €65m
Pereira- €10m
That's €95m net which is around £80m pretty plausible. You could probably chuck in Matic leaving as well
You build a lot around whether Pogba leaves and at a high price. We ain’t getting 65m for him unless it’s in player swaps.

I still don’t think we are paying 80 up front for sancho either

Edy2

Nah they'll get about 50 mil for him this summer. They should have taken the 80 mil or whatever united would have went up to last summer.

RkkMan

You build a lot around whether Pogba leaves and at a high price. We ain’t getting 65m for him unless it’s in player swaps.

I still don’t think we are paying 80 up front for sancho either
We won't let Pogba go for cheap either way. Worst case scenario is he stays, no midfielder coming in and we sell Lingard for £25-30m straight cash
As for Sancho unless we decide to shift priorities elsewhere we're more than capable of offering £70m up front considering we offered £10m more than that last summer(plus £15m add ons) after buying VDB for £35m. With Cavani leaving, Pellistri likely to be loaned out again and Amad still being raw it's a lot more possible this time plus The Athletic explained in detail that there is circa £70m available for a marquee signing

RkkMan

I also think 80 for sancho is too high. If Dortmund don't want to sell it's their loss just as last in year
He's on 12G/16A despite having a "bad" season that's 3 seasons in a row where he has 20+ goal contributions combined at just 21. £80m(with a part of it waivered with add ons) is a very reasonable fee. Much more than £108m

Judas

Open to offers
80m is reasonable, but covid exists, so it'll be a fairer price which is a bit less than that. He won't go for that much money. If Dortmund insist, he simply won't move.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Staff
80m is reasonably, but covid exists, so it'll be a fairer price which is a bit less than that. He won't go for that much money. If Dortmund insist, he simply won't move.
That’s what I think. Big clubs should be using this to drive the prices down again

SAF is the GOAT

In some point Jadon would have to take a stand.

Don't tell me this kid isn't devastated after the last summer where he thought he's gonna go but at the last second he stayed there after Dortmund Plunked him.

The kid wants to go back to England. I think that this season we'll get him because he will tell Dortmund that he wants to go.

Giggsy13

It’s the same vicious cycle every summer. Scenarios drafted on why we’ll blow it out of the park this summer, “transfer experts” and imaginary deals, only to be disappointed when we have a net spend of £70 million and the club trying to convince everyone that we did a great job in the market. This will be worst than the last transfer window.

RkkMan

It’s the same vicious cycle every summer. Scenarios drafted on why we’ll blow it out of the park this summer, “transfer experts” and imaginary deals, only to be disappointed when we have a net spend of £70 million and the club trying to convince everyone that we did a great job in the market. This will be worst than the last transfer window.
Sancho- £70m up front
Back up RB- £15m max
Back up GK- £10m
CB- £40m max that's £135m total if you sell
Dalot- £15m(Ancelotti has him as his top RB target we made them pay over £20m for Schneiderlin)
Pereira- £10m
Lingard- £30m
Bailly- £15m
De Gea- Loan circa £4-5m
That's a net spend of close to £60m we could still have a good summer with a £70-80m net spend

Giggsy13

Sancho- £70m up front
Back up RB- £15m max
Back up GK- £10m
Dalot- £15m(Ancelotti has him as his top RB target we made them pay over £20m for Schneiderlin)
Pereira- £10m
Lingard- £30m
Bailly- £15m
De Gea- Loan circa £4-5m
That's a net spend of close to £60m we could still have a good summer with a £70-80m net spend
A great example of wishful thinking.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Imagine a world where we get this sorted ahead of time, announce it before he goes to the Euros and feel good about ourselves.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Sancho- £70m up front
Back up RB- £15m max
Back up GK- £10m
Pereira- £10m
Lingard- £30m
Bailly- £15m
De Gea- Loan circa £4-5m
Every summer I've read many similar wish list everywhere, and every summer it ends up totally underwhelming.

I hope people learn.

Judas

Open to offers
Every summer I've read many similar wish list everywhere, and every summer it ends up totally underwhelming.

I hope people learn.
Especially this summer of all summers. How anyone can be going in with daft expectations I've no idea. It's just illogical, almost as if people want to be disappointed.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Sancho- £70m up front
Back up RB- £15m max
Back up GK- £10m
Pereira- £10m
Lingard- £30m
Bailly- £15m
De Gea- Loan circa £4-5m
I think we might call Laird back for next season and he will get minutes at right back.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He's on 12G/16A despite having a "bad" season that's 3 seasons in a row where he has 20+ goal contributions combined at just 21. £80m(with a part of it waivered with add ons) is a very reasonable fee. Much more than £108m
A fee is not only reflective of the players quality but stuff going around. I still think with 2 years left on his contract, we can get a much better deal. Dortmund would have to part ways with him for close to nothing if they don't do it this summer. We also have them on the ropes after last summer when they were strong arming us into hundred plus whatever they were asking.

I would like us to have enough for a DM so really I'd try and keep it around 60 million.

youmeletsfly

Sancho- £70m up front
Back up RB- £15m max
Back up GK- £10m
Pereira- £10m
Lingard- £30m
Bailly- £15m
De Gea- Loan circa £4-5m
Whoever pays 15 mil for Eric and 30 for Lingard during covid is out of their fecking minds.

We'd be lucky to get 45 mil for all 4 of them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Athletic suggested it's 70m we can put toward a "marquee" player. That's around 80m EUR, and I think it'll be enough for either be Sancho or Grealish.

macheda14

An element of this potential Sancho transfer that is not talked about enough is his ability to play LW. We may not need to replace Martial if we're able to push Rashford to CF. I'd argue Sancho is actually more effective than Rashford at LW.

Front 3 of Sancho - Rashford - Greenwood (or Diallo) looks quite appealing to me.
Except Rashford hasn’t looked good up front really ever. Greenwood has looked better up front. I think it’s more Sancho’s ability to play LW that is useful in as much as we have ample cover pretty much across the front line. Apart from us still needing a bloody striker if/when Cavani leaves this summer.

Rashford/Sancho/Martial/James/Elanga(?) - Greenwood/Martial - Sancho/Amad/Greenwood/James

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Except Rashford hasn’t looked good up front really ever. Greenwood has looked better up front. I think it’s more Sancho’s ability to play LW that is useful in as much as we have ample cover pretty much across the front line. Apart from us still needing a bloody striker if/when Cavani leaves this summer.

Rashford/Sancho/Martial/James/Elanga(?) - Greenwood/Martial - Sancho/Amad/Greenwood/James
I've not seen this at all.

AgentSmith

Athletic suggested it's 70m we can put toward a "marquee" player. That's around 80m EUR, and I think it'll be enough for either be Sancho or Grealish.
I think it would be for Sancho but not for Grealish.

There’s a different level of connection to the club and importance to the team for Grealish with Villa compared to Sancho and Dortmund. Plus Villa are financially secure, with very wealthy owners, and tied Grealish down to a bumper 5 year deal only 6 months ago.

I think they’d ask for £100 million and wouldn’t budge from it unless Grealish really pushed for the move, which I don’t think he would (similar situation to Kane).

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think it would be for Sancho but not for Grealish.

There’s a different level of connection to the club and importance to the team for Grealish with Villa compared to Sancho and Dortmund. Plus Villa are financially secure, with very wealthy owners, and tied Grealish down to a bumper 5 year deal only 6 months ago.

I think they’d ask for £100 million and wouldn’t budge from it unless Grealish really pushed for the move, which I don’t think he would (similar situation to Kane).
Yeah the short contract length is the key + the fact that Sancho had to be pulled away from training in pre-season when we went for him last year. I think a move is 100% on his mind a lot more this coming window than it was now, so there's a higher chance of him pulling a fuss if a reasonable 80m EUR offer fell on Dortmund's lap.

AgentSmith

Yeah the short contract length is the key + the fact that Sancho had to be pulled away from training in pre-season when we went for him last year. I think a move is 100% on his mind a lot more this coming window than it was now, so there's a higher chance of him pulling a fuss if a reasonable 80m EUR offer fell on Dortmund's lap.
Yeah it all seems perfectly set up for Sancho this summer.

I think we’ll have the option to go for Grealish next summer as well if we want because I can’t see anyone else stumping up the money either. I’d absolutely love to see us try for him though, those calves would look majestic in red :drool:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I think there is a deal to be done if Harry is willing.
Harry is willing, I'm sure. But Levy certainly will hold on to him for a stupid fee. That's Kane's fault to be fair as he signed a new long term deal recently, so he made his bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.