Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

laughtersassassin

He’s started over 2/3 of their league games. I like Sancho but there was nothing exceptional about his performances this season, and it’s a legitimate question to ask whether his exceptional performances last year are a good predictor of future performance. Particularly given his struggles for England.
So you are saying he had exceptional performances for two season straight in the league and the cups.

This year he had a poor start to the season in the League and was then really good till he got injured. His cup numbers this year are very very good.

So you are worried than not performing as much in the league this season is the indicator of his actual standard?

I couldn't disagree more.

Sancho as per Transfer Market
18/19 - 2967 Minutes 13G 20A
19/20 - 3274 Minutes 20G 20A
20/21 - 2684 Minutes 12G 18A

KDB when at Wolfsburg
12/13 - 3086 Minutes 10G 10A
13/14 - 2024 Minutes 3G 8A
14/15 - 4551 Minutes 16 G 28A

Very Comparable numbers in the same league. Sancho doing so from a younger age.

We can all pretend Sancho isn't worth big money if we want but it's simply not true.

There is not a better winger known that money can buy.

Ole is known to want him. Club has no excuses this time around. They have already missed out on a few of Oles targets.

Had we got Sancho or had a proper go at adding to the first team last summer we probably could have competed with City.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
At a market where most top clubs, if not all, would struggle to generate funds to buy Haaland or Mbappe for 120m, of course no one is going to buy Sancho for 100m.
That entirely depends on deal structure. No one can afford to fork out £120m today, but over 3 years, manageable for the big clubs.

Judas

Open to offers
The serious question is what shirt number will he have seeing as Cavani has the 7? I'd just give Martial something like 45 and give Cavani the 9, so Sancho can have the 7.

mav_9me

Seems much more logical to me. United has his position covered for years to come with a homegrown player while Liverpool might want to secure a Mané replacement and Chelsea could be looking for the final piece in their attack. Just looking at the squad, United actually has the least demand for Sancho.
Wtf?

Chelsea have Ziyech, Pulisic, CHO, Havertz in a pinch.

Obviously Liverpool have Salah their most important attacker and Jota.

We have Greenwood ( at this time, not yet as productive as we need, and with possible long term position as Strike), Diallo who hasn't had a single minute in PL, Dan James (enough said).

So let's compare the first choices in Ziyech, Salah and Greenwood. After that if u still think we have least need for Sancho, then we have to agree to disagree.

RkkMan

Seems much more logical to me. United has his position covered for years to come with a homegrown player while Liverpool might want to secure a Mané replacement and Chelsea could be looking for the final piece in their attack. Just looking at the squad, United actually has the least demand for Sancho.
Not sure about this. Utd is still crying out for a RW. Greenwood for all his talent still lacks some vital fundamentals for the RW and still likely to transition into a No9 in future and Amad is still very raw. Liverpool will struggle to find a buyer for Mane in this window(and Liverpool still have Jota and Salah)and Chelsea's priority is a No9 they have many options for the wide forward positions(Havertz, Mount, Ziyech, Pulisic, Werner, Odoi)

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Honestly you havent looked very closely. They are different players and Sancho has a very high stable output the last 3 years
I’m not comparing them as players, I’m just saying we’d happily pay that amount for a player with the same quality as Greenwood. We’d easily value Greenwood at 80m ourselves, so we shouldn’t shy away from paying that.

Coops73

His head has been in Manchester all season to be fair.
Not even the Glazers heads have been in Manchester, physically or metaphorically, I’ll be really surprised if they spend anything this summer let alone 70-100 on 1 player.

laughtersassassin

Not even the Glazers heads have been in Manchester, physically or metaphorically, I’ll be really surprised if they spend anything this summer let alone 70-100 on 1 player.
Best chance we'll have for a long time to get back to the top. If we let it slip again we will quickly find ourselves back in the shitter.

RkkMan

The last time Utd failed to sign a player completely in a window was over 30 years ago. Even for The Glazers that's a spectacular level of glatony I don't see them ever hitting with us.
And with shirt sponsors unhappy with falling sales, shareholders potentially unhappy due to bad PR and very angry fans it's probably the best time for them to spend to get everyone back onside

Coops73

Best chance we'll have for a long time to get back to the top. If we let it slip again we will quickly find ourselves back in the shitter.
Agreed just don’t think they’ll be spending that amount on 1 player. I could be wrong, they may want to placate the fan base with signings but with everything that has gone on I’m not so sure.

Bekkalokk

Yes, he is still the best fit and what our right-wing has been lacking for years. Not to mention what our attack has been lacking creativity-wise, for years. Bruno has been able to fix some of the creativity issues, but Jadon Sancho would be the last piece of the attacking puzzle assuming we keep Pogba and sign a defensive midfielder.

All our other attackers are more focused on scoring themselves than delivering an assist. Sancho would absolutely transform our attack, this I firmly believe. Add to this he's just a year older than last year when we were all salivating at the prospect of an even more expensive deal. Also I feel it's important that United obtain the best English talent and continue to build a spine of English players who will be seen in the national team for years to come.

We are not getting Haaland.

Last edited:

laughtersassassin

Pogba is mainly playing as an inside left, and if he goes we need to replace his creativity so I think we'd go back in for Sancho.
We need to be improving the team. At best that keeps it as is.

Goal has to be to sign Sancho and keep Pogba.

Anything less is failure

I agree, but do the Glazers? History tells up they only buy if needed and seem happy with top 4
Urban myth innit, spent 156 million euros after finishing 4th with LVG, also spent a shed load after qualifying for the CL with Mourinho in season one.
Myth appears to be based on last Summer (corona) and the year they changed the transfer strategy, putting in place the transfer board which told Mourinho to feck off about selling Pogba/Martial and buying Perisic and William.

Fahad Jawaid

I am hoping Dortmund fails to qualify for CPL, this would certainly put cat among the pigeons, and i believe in that case we might be able to snap him up for around 60 odd Million Pounds, whereas if they qualify we will have to fork out 70 to 80 million pounds.

Artorias

I am hoping Dortmund fails to qualify for CPL, this would certainly put cat among the pigeons, and i believe in that case we might be able to snap him up for around 60 odd Million Pounds, whereas if they qualify we will have to fork out 70 to 80 million pounds.
Yeah, it wil, be like what happened with Grealish.

Coops73

The last time Utd failed to sign a player completely in a window was over 30 years ago. Even for The Glazers that's a spectacular level of glatony I don't see them ever hitting with us.
And with shirt sponsors unhappy with falling sales, shareholders potentially unhappy due to bad PR and very angry fans it's probably the best time for them to spend to get everyone back onside
Hope you’re right.

ThemanGiggsy

i think eventually we need to ditch the double pivot of Mcfred. i know Pogba has been playing well on the left wing, but it is curious why we always have to play Bruno as a straight 10. why could he and pogba not sit in front of a CDM like Rice? that would allow Rashford/Cavani/Sancho to thrive in a front three. it seems the main reason for the double pivot is so Bruno can sit solely at 10.

Polar

Difficult to say what we need the most offensively: RW vs Striker. It’s probably “even steven”; what we get probably depends on best bargain and which deal we are able to seal.

I’m a fan of Sancho and think he suits us perfectly. We’ve suffered long enough without a proper or high quality RW. Greenwood is to me an emergency solution, and it’s to early to depend on Diallo. James is a squad player at his best. Maybe the new formation with Rashford on the right can solve our problem temporarily (one more year).

Cavani and Pogba probably stay only one more season. Neither of them are week in/out players anyway, but when match fit their impact is unquestionable. We definitely need one more player who possesses the same threat inside opponent’s box. It make sense to bring in a “box-threat”, preferably a striker already now.

OT:
1. Should we buy a CB or a DM?
2. Should we buy (if three players):
A. CB/RW/Striker?
B. DM/RW/Striker?
C. CB/DM/Striker?
D. CB/DM/RW?

DSG

At least one thing we can agree on... Woodward and Judge will have nothing to do with any transfer activity... Thick gits who buy players our manager doesn’t want (VdB, Telles) because they perceive value. This isn’t investment banking, it’s football. Those two clowns should be nowhere near the negotiating table. Last summer’s saga over Sancho was unbearable.

Regarding price — €100m/£86m, I’d rather risk 86m on a young, productive winger than 80m on a 25 year old CB....

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The serious question is what shirt number will he have seeing as Cavani has the 7? I'd just give Martial something like 45 and give Cavani the 9, so Sancho can have the 7.
Cavani will get the 9 and Sancho 7.

Tony will be relegated to 14 or something similar.

Either that or Sancho will be happy to just take any number for now until he earns it

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'm not sure which squad you're reading but we've been crying out for a RW for years.
Wtf?

Chelsea have Ziyech, Pulisic, CHO, Havertz in a pinch.

Obviously Liverpool have Salah their most important attacker and Jota.

We have Greenwood ( at this time, not yet as productive as we need, and with possible long term position as Strike), Diallo who hasn't had a single minute in PL, Dan James (enough said).

So let's compare the first choices in Ziyech, Salah and Greenwood. After that if u still think we have least need for Sancho, then we have to agree to disagree.
Not sure about this. Utd is still crying out for a RW. Greenwood for all his talent still lacks some vital fundamentals for the RW and still likely to transition into a No9 in future and Amad is still very raw. Liverpool will struggle to find a buyer for Mane in this window(and Liverpool still have Jota and Salah)and Chelsea's priority is a No9 they have many options for the wide forward positions(Havertz, Mount, Ziyech, Pulisic, Werner, Odoi)

Only that Sancho isn't a RW but a inverted LW or an AM. So he'd compete with Rashford and Pogba not with Greenwood.

marktan

One thing I'm curious about is how transfer prices in general will play out this summer. A full covid hit season with lower revenues, broadcasting revenue stagnating (In the UK at least), may lead to a depress of prices.

It wasn't too long ago that £80m would get you a prime Bale calibre player. Then Neymar and PSG happened and prices went bonkers.

DSG

Only that Sancho isn't a RW but a inverted LW or an AM. So he'd compete with Rashford and Pogba not with Greenwood.
Feel free to explain the picture below.
I really don’t understand the narrative that Sancho is a LW only. He plays on both sides, LW and RW. Has since he arrived at age 17. He is equally effective on both sides. I base this on watching perhaps 60 Dortmund matches over the last 3 years... They’ve had three managers since he arrived at the club, and where he played depended on the matchup, who else was available (Reus, Pulisic, Guerreiro, Brandt, Reyna and Hazard have all played in either LW or RW along with Sancho).

The fact that he can play both equally well is of enormous value to us.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Hes a RW he sometimes covers the left but by the end of every game he's on the right. Hes at his most effective cutting onto his strong foot

KennyBurner

\
Give a senior citizen number 9 instead of our First choice striker? Did that make any sense as you typed it?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I really don’t understand the narrative that Sancho is a LW only. He plays on both sides, LW and RW. Has since he arrived at age 17. He is equally effective on both sides. I base this on watching perhaps 60 Dortmund matches over the last 3 years... They’ve had three managers since he arrived at the club, and where he played depended on the matchup, who else was available (Reus, Pulisic, Guerreiro, Brandt, Reyna and Hazard have all played in either LW or RW along with Sancho).

The fact that he can play both equally well is of enormous value to us.
I disagree with that. These days he initiates almost every good play from the left. It's true that he was played on the right primarily in the beginning but last season he already preferred the left side and it's even more obvious this year. It's also quite logical since his skill set is naturally that of an inverted winger, not one to hug the line, and you've got far more options having your strong foot on the inside while doing so. Sure, he's decent on the right, too, but not as good - and you don't sign a player for such a fee only to play him in his secondary position.

Style-wise, he's very similar to Neymar. He'd also do a decent job on the right wing but still you'd always play him on the left because he's simply much stronger there. The same is true for Sancho, IMO.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I disagree with that. These days he initiates almost every good play from the left. It's true that he was played on the right primarily in the beginning but last season he already preferred the left side and it's even more obvious this year. It's also quite logical since his skill set is naturally that of an inverted winger, not one to hug the line, and you've got far more options having your strong foot on the inside while doing so. Sure, he's decent on the right, too, but not as good - and you don't sign a player for such a fee only to play him in his secondary position.

Style-wise, he's very similar to Neymar. He'd also do a decent job on the right wing but still you'd always play him on the left because he's simply much stronger there. The same is true for Sancho, IMO.
Decent? Secondary position? Feel free to explain the two pictures below. Sancho is not the first winger I have ever watched to be able to play right and left equally. I have witnessed Nani who can play left and right equally.

Boavista

One thing I'm curious about is how transfer prices in general will play out this summer. A full covid hit season with lower revenues, broadcasting revenue stagnating (In the UK at least), may lead to a depress of prices.

It wasn't too long ago that £80m would get you a prime Bale calibre player. Then Neymar and PSG happened and prices went bonkers.
Yeah it'll be interesting what prices we'll see this summer. I don't think we'll see significantly lower prices across the board, just fewer really expensive tranfers.

As for your second point, Bale's transfer was in 2013 so that's 8 years ago (time flies :houllier:). Just for reference Manchester Utd's revenue grew by something like 80% between 12/13 and 18/19. Lots of other clubs' revenue have also increased dramatically, so prices were always going to go up. I feel Neymar's transfer is given a bit too much weight in these kind of discussions.

But anyway, I don't want to kick off a Bale and Sancho comparison, but is there that much difference when you factor in potential and inflation? Bale was a couple years older at the time of his transfer, but ultimately how many great seasons did he have under his belt by then? I'd say three at most, given he played left back before that.
I'm not saying Sancho is on Bale's last Spurs season level, but if United buy Sancho it's with the expectation that he'll have a huge impact in the future. If Bale's price is the measuring stick, which I'm not saying it is, then 80m for Sancho is more than reasonable given that was 8 years ago.

Tarrou

I think we’d be mad not to sign him personally, we desperately need a creative winger

He’d be perfect for us and is already one of the top players in world football at 21

DSG

‘Agree to disagree then. The stats back up the productivity as similar, with more assists coming when he lines up on the right. You’ve made this point before, there’s no sense in continuing to discuss, as clearly the fact is that he plays both RW and LW, and plays them both equally well, statistically. YOUR preference is that he plays LW, but you aren’t Ole, there was an offer last season for the player, it’s basically the same situation. The cited links actually list him playing RW more often than LW in both the 19/20 season and the 20/21 season. Source: transfermarkt

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
People don't seem to realise how good he is. He's a truly elite level talent and has been since he was in youth football.
Yup. If we miss out on him I'll be hugely disappointed. Top player. You don't let go of players this right for you.

BoulderDevil

I’m firmly in the “Sancho is a no brainer” camp. I’d play hardball with Dortmund though. Sancho will primarily play on the right but he can also play left when rashford inevitably needs a rest. He can feed balls to cavani all day . We would have cavani, rashford, greenwood, Sancho, diallo, martial and James to choose from. Not too bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.