Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Remember Rashford might need surgery this Summer. Could be out for a chunk of next season.

It's not a bad thing that Sancho can play on either wing.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yeah I agree, but the problem with that could be that United doesn't really have players who slot into that RW position while Sancho overloads the left side and combines in the centre. So I can already see people's disappointment in matches when it won't work well, and those matches will happen too. I think Dortmund generally have more flexible players in that regard, while United's players mostly prefer the left and Wan Bissaka isn't known for his attacking contributions.
What are you talking about. United doesn't really have player to slot into RW position is because they have Daniel James's quality for the spot and Sancho would be perfect additional to upgrade James because he can fill in the spot.

It's just perfect, if we want to rest Rashford, we can play Sancho on the left and keep Greenwood on the right. If we want to rest Greenwood, we can play Sancho on the right and keep Rashford on the left. If we need to rest Cavani, we can still play Greenwood/Rashford up front but play Sancho & Pogba on wide.

There is no reason why would people are disappointed.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yeah I agree, but the problem with that could be that United doesn't really have players who slot into that RW position while Sancho overloads the left side and combines in the centre. So I can already see people's disappointment in matches when it won't work well, and those matches will happen too. I think Dortmund generally have more flexible players in that regard, while United's players mostly prefer the left and Wan Bissaka isn't known for his attacking contributions.
I think that's on point. There's much more to making fluid setups work than meets the eye I believe. Hakimi for instance was crucial for Sancho shining on the right since he provided the width so that Sancho could drift inside where he's much stronger. Once Hakimi was gone, he was far less effective on RW. Those fluid attacks also usually occurred in a 3-6-1 formations. Striker, two AMs, two CMs and two wing backs in front of three center backs. They could only interchange positions that often because the wing backs provided width and held their positions. Moreover, the setup at Dortmund isn't ideal either. They'd love to bring in one or two wingers to complement Sancho and Haaland. Playing Reus, Hazard, Brandt or even Knauff on the right is born out of necessity, not choice.

So to me, it doesn't really seem to add up for Sancho and United. I believe the missing piece is rather a player who can hold the line on the right since Wan-Bissaka is rather conervative going forward. In possession, you could then play three at the back with Shaw pushing high and AWB dropping into a half back position. Ideally play somebody on the right who makes many runs and has good work ethic to really stretch the play and enable your players who play in the center or have a tendency to cut inside (Bruno, Pogba, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood) to work their magic.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Desparately hope we sign him. One of those landmark signings that we would regret missing out on if we do

lenny_1248

The only problem I have with Sancho is that although he is brilliant he is more of the same. Rashford, Martial, Greenwood have a similar style although slightly different i.e. they all try to take on a player, come inside and shoot or try run in behind the defense if they push up.
They are very different.
Sancho is more of a playmaker and our trio are all forwards. They have very little in common.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
In a weird way I hope Chelsea blow us out of the water on this. We need to learn that you have to act with total conviction if the right player comes up instead of what we’ve done with Sancho and Bruno before him. It’s about time we got some humble pie for the pace we insist on working at in the market

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
If Cavani stays the number 7 wouldnt be free, unless Martial loses the 9 shirt again :lol:

alexthelion

From what we heard last season, Ole wanted Sancho and Grealish.

Given our buys I assume we will only get one.

Now is everyone in agreement that you would rather have Sancho than Grealish?

I actually can’t quite believe that, Grealish is twice the player, more creative and an unbelievable ball carrier who can play across the from 5 positions.

Grealish and Kane and we win the league and Keane agrees with me!:smirk:
Grealish doesn't play right, which is where our greatest need is.

OmarUnited4ever

The only problem I have with Sancho is that although he is brilliant he is more of the same. Rashford, Martial, Greenwood have a similar style although slightly different i.e. they all try to take on a player, come inside and shoot or try run in behind the defense if they push up. I wonder how Rashford, Martial, Sancho would do against low block park the bus teams with Fred /McTominay behind them. Or even any of the other combinations - Rashford/Cavani/Sancho, Martial/Greenwood/Sancho etc.
Even with say a Rice and Fred would Bruno being the sole creator be enough? Or are we saying Pogba in a 2 with say Rice/Fred and Rashford/Cavani/Sancho up front. That seems more like it attacking wise but it would hamper Pogba and wouldnt it get overrun?

I still cant see the right balance in our team.
Sancho is a playmaker more than a goalscorer, Rashford, Martial & Greenwood tend to either come inside to shoot or run into a channel to go one on one with the gk to score, Sancho usually stretches the width on the right to cross or cuts inside on his right foot when he is on left to cross and create a chance, if he joins he'll add creativity alongside Bruno, Pogba & Shaw, he can dribble, link up play, play through passes and more, Cavani's movements will be picked more when a player like Sancho is on the pitch.

Becks00

In a weird way I hope Chelsea blow us out of the water on this. We need to learn that you have to act with total conviction if the right player comes up instead of what we’ve done with Sancho and Bruno before him. It’s about time we got some humble pie for the pace we insist on working at in the market
You want Chelsea to pull away from us just because our management f****d up last year.
Not sure we'll beat Chelsea to his signing, he's a Chelsea fan and would probably favour living closer to family in London than Manchester.
Am not sure how Sancho works for Chelsea as long as they have Pullisic, Ziyech, Werner and Odoi for the wide positions, unless they intend selling one of those

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Yeah we are not beating Chelsea, he will prefer London to Manchester. Our hope is that Chelsea already have 1 million attacking players and need to invest in a striker who actually looks like a footballer.

Matthew84!

I'd rather not spend the best part of 80 million on 1 player, perhaps trade with Martial to get the price down.
We need more than 1 player this summer so can't blow it all on 1 player as I'm guessing we won't have loads again to spend.

Kaos

If Cavani stays the number 7 wouldnt be free, unless Martial loses the 9 shirt again :lol:
It's not guaranteed whether Cavani stays and if he does it'll only be for another year, what's he going to do? Threaten to leave? Martial can have the number 9 jersey at whatever club we ought to sell him to this summer.

Ali Dia

You want Chelsea to pull away from us just because our management f****d up last year.

Am not sure how Sancho works for Chelsea as long as they have Pullisic, Ziyech, Werner and Odoi for the wide positions, unless they intend selling one of those
It’s not just last year. It’s every year. These sagas for every player, especially when he wants to join and the club are actually willing to sell, aren’t the norm. It’s just more arrogant and out of touch management from us and we need to tighten up

Becks00

It’s not just last year. It’s every year. These sagas for every player, especially when he wants to join and the club are actually willing to sell, aren’t the norm. It’s just more arrogant and out of touch management from us and we need to tighten up
I agree with you, they are not doing a good job. I'm just saying that wouldn't be fixed by them screwing up even further this summer by not getting Sancho and especially not at the expense of Chelsea getting him.

Ali Dia

I agree with you, they are not doing a good job. I'm just saying that wouldn't be fixed by them screwing up even further this summer by not getting Sancho and especially not at the expense of Chelsea getting him.
I don’t want Chelsea to get him either but you know our guys will still find a way to be super smug and self congratulatory if they finally manage to get it done after 3 years. I think it just reinforces to them that they are going about things in the right way from a cash saving perspective and still get the player in the end.

Chelsea will just come along and get it done in a few weeks if they want him. We need to stop with the smug attitude trying to save a few quid over just giving the manager what he needs in a timely fashion or just say no it’s far too expensive and move on to the next target. Also I don’t know why it seems like other clubs work on deals during the season and we seem genuinely surprised the window has actually opened most years… let’s see what murtough and fletcher have been cooking up anyway at least…

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Thats not how it works. He has to worth the premium too.
Well he's definitely one of the best youngsters in europe and would probably be the best winger in the squad.

£80m is a fair price i'd say.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'd rather not spend the best part of 80 million on 1 player, perhaps trade with Martial to get the price down.
We need more than 1 player this summer so can't blow it all on 1 player as I'm guessing we won't have loads again to spend.
Given that we can sell Lingard to West Ham, James to Leeds and probably DDG might leave too. There is good potential we can get 75m-80m from selling. Doubt Dortmund will be willing to take Martial's wages.

Sting

We’re the only club licking our lips about this potential transfer! No club in the PL is spending €100m on him, not even close. He is in the same bracket as most of the young English forwards bar Kane and I don’t think any of them are world beaters.

pascell

At least make posts from actual reliable sources lads. And Chelsea's priority is a No9
Honigstein is far from reliable.

Probably Odoi in a swap deal with an agreement of a buy back.

cyberman

Not sure we'll beat Chelsea to his signing, he's a Chelsea fan and would probably favour living closer to family in London than Manchester.
He would have moved to Chelsea last year if he wanted to or at least had Chelsea in Utds position as the window closed.
There were reports that he was happy to wait for Utd this summer so I cant see whats changed.

united_99

On current form. Yeah, he most certainly will.
Yeah on current form even Lingard might, but at the same time Lingard might even take Sancho‘s place if he shows his early season Dortmund form.
But keep on with your anti Rashford agenda and all this „on current form“ nonsense.

pascell

He would have moved to Chelsea last year if he wanted to or at least had Chelsea in Utds position as the window closed.
There were reports that he was happy to wait for Utd this summer so I cant see whats changed.
Chelsea prioritised Havertz and Werner, there's still something missing in their attack imo and Sancho could be that missing part.

Ali Dia

Yeah on current form even Lingard might, but at the same time Lingard might even take Sancho‘s place if he shows his early season Dortmund form.
But keep on with your anti Rashford agenda and all this „on current form“ nonsense.

We will see if we sign Sancho and Pogba stays. Rashy is the odd man out. Not creative enough for a winger and not deadly enough for a striker. Good rotation option on both wings though.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well he's definitely one of the best youngsters in europe and would probably be the best winger in the squad.

£80m is a fair price i'd say.
£80m for Sancho when he's close to leaving for a free? Nah, think its a bit much. At least not in this climate.

Can understand £70m at an absolute push but even then I wouldn't mind if we brought Raphina in for half that and put in a big transfer for a CB.

united_99

We will see if we sign Sancho and Pogba stays. Rashy is the odd man out. Not creative enough for a winger and not deadly enough for a striker. Good rotation option on both wings though.
:boring::o

RkkMan

Honigstein is far from reliable.

Probably Odoi in a swap deal with an agreement of a buy back.
Honigstein is VERY reliable
And Odoi is very highly rated at Chelsea they rejected numerous bids from Bayern last year. Even then he'd have to displace Mount or Havertz while competing with Werner, Pulisic and Ziyech who will all want to play (they play a flat front 3) like he said it's not a feasible transfer for Chelsea nor does it make sense

Matthew84!

I think Rashford scoring 20+ goals a season is probably about right for his age, would score more if we were more creative

Status
Not open for further replies.