Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's not an imaginary position. Sancho already plays RW superbly. Peak Nani would be wonderful for us right now. People are obsessed with the modern game being a special mythical beast.

You still haven't given a solution. Ethan Laird is not a serious suggestions for a club of wanting to win the PL and CL. Give me your one wahy to skin this cat at least ?
Yeah, people are worried too much about playing right footed players on the left and left footed on the right. I'm not saying I'm against it, it's just that people somehow people think right footed player playing on right side doesn't work (Or not modern enough). It all depends on the player. In our squad, Rashford and Martial can't play as RW but we had Nani who was much better as RW than LW. He was goal threat, created plenty of chances.

In 2017-18, City played Sterling and Sane as RW and LW, they played narrow and scored goals even though Sterling played as RW.

It depends on the player, is Sancho good enough as a RW? Without a doubt. Is he better as LW than RW? I think so. We shouldn't have players in their fixed positions anyways, 15 years ago Giggs and Ronaldo used to swap wings all the time. We should be flexible in our playing style and should always add quality players to the squad.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yeah, people are worried too much about playing right footed players on the left and left footed on the right. I'm not saying I'm against it, it's just that people somehow people think right footed player playing on right side doesn't work (Or not modern enough). It all depends on the player. In our squad, Rashford and Martial can't play as RW but we had Nani who was much better as RW than LW. He was goal threat, created plenty of chances.

In 2017-18, City played Sterling and Sane as RW and LW, they played narrow and scored goals even though Sterling played as RW.

It depends on the player, is Sancho good enough as a RW? Without a doubt. Is he better as LW than RW? I think so. We shouldn't have players in their fixed positions anyways, 15 years ago Giggs and Ronaldo used to swap wings all the time. We should be flexible in our playing style and should always add quality players to the squad.
Good post. And Sane and Bale crossed by mind too. Especially the former, very recently performed as one of the PL's best wingers being left footed and starting from the left. Sancho can play on either flank very well because A) unlike our current attackers he's a real passer hence his only move isn't to move in and shoot B) he can beat you on either side with his excellent balance.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Ronaldo and Nani played as conventional wingers and were adept with with either foot. Both could also hit screamers from distance with their weaker peg, So swapping wings was a doddle for them. Out of Sancho, Rashford and Mason, Mason is far superior to either Rashford and Sancho when it comes to playing on their weaker peg.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Balance to our fluidity play and whip in lethal crosses from the RW. We are negligent on the RW but for Greenwood. He'd bring speed of play to the attacking phases and help catch out other teams on the break. Substantially improve the counter attacking play from the RW.

Rolaholic

According to Sport1, who say Manchester United are ‘still in pole position’ to land the former Manchester City academy player. They further add the Old Trafford club ‘is and will remain the club of choice’ for the attacker.

As per the report, talks between United and the England international’s representatives are ‘already underway.’
The fee floated there is €85-90m

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
* Just came from the Rashford thread, so based on that:

Do not want Sancho, only 8 goals and 11 assists in the league. In 24 league games only but with a monster striker in his team who has scored 25 league goals in 26 games.

* Back to sane and realistic expectations the above stats (Sancho’s) could have already been the difference in winning the league this season or at least properly competing with City for the title. Haaland’s obviously even more but we have no chance getting him.

Rolaholic

"club of choice" i get there is a Rashy friendship that likely helps. However, i do wonder if there is a revenge motive that could help us. :lol:
Wouldn't be upset if there was one tbf :lol:

Him coming back to Manchester with a point to prove can only help us.

I'm sure he'd want to prove to Pep what he missed out on when he let a homegrown lad like him leave in order to spend big money on wingers like the likes of Sané, Mahrez and Torres especially seeing how well one of his former academy teammates in Foden has done.

He wouldn't be short of motivation if he came to us that's for sure in spite of him coming back home.

Rolaholic

They're quoting Eurosport who also claimed we'll open the bidding with an offer in the region of £65-75M

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If it were to be done I would anticipate a swift transfer. Not because of any fake Dortmund "deadlines" but because 1) there is a euros competition and 2) after last summer the ask is more transparent with little legwork for player related negotiations.

BlueHaze

No way he'll cost £100m this year. I 100% think 80m would be enough and even that is an absurd fee during this time but no excuses anymore just go and sign him please for fecks sake our attack is in dire need of top quality strenghtening and this guy just fits the bill. We need him more than any other top club in the world.

He's a good friend of Marcus and they'll fit well together. I would even get rid of Martial just to get Sancho. Sancho, a quality CM a CB and a proper striker and I would be satisfied but we all know it's just going to be another disappointing window.

croadyman

No way he'll cost £100m this year. I 100% think 80m would be enough and even that is an absurd fee during this time but no excuses anymore just go and sign him please for fecks sake our attack is in dire need of top quality strenghtening and this guy just fits the bill. We need him more than any other top club in the world.

He's a good friend of Marcus and they'll fit well together. I would even get rid of Martial just to get Sancho. Sancho, a quality CM a CB and a proper striker and I would be satisfied but we all know it's just going to be another disappointing window.
Article says 100m euros but think we will get him for less than that anyway

Tarrou

the article says 100m euros which is 86m pounds

I can see it getting done between 75m and 85m

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
One thing that worries me about Sancho is that he doesn't really seem to have that burst of pace or acceleration, similar to Memphis.
He's not absolutely electric but he's much quicker than Memphis. But I wouldn't worry as unlike Memphis he doesn't lack technical ability. I'd say he's a bit Hazard who has pace but doesn't need all of it really as his ball control, intelligence, passing spacial awareness is so special. Just remember that you're not getting someone who purely electric but also a true creator and that makes it a lot more appetising. Sancho can win games through link up, not just accelerate and shoot.

sillwuka

He's not absolutely electric but he's much quicker than Memphis. But I wouldn't worry as unlike Memphis he doesn't lack technical ability. I'd say he's a bit Hazard who has pace but doesn't need all of it really as his ball control, intelligence, passing spacial awareness is so special. Just remember that you're not getting someone who purely electric but also a true creator and that makes it a lot more appetising. Sancho can win games through link up, not just accelerate and shoot.
I agree that technically he's fantastic. He has a good footballing brain and imagine the link up play will be superb.

I do feel alot of supporters will be surprised when they see that he doesn't consistently run at opposing defenders and beat a man with pace. (ala Mahrez, Mane and Son type wide players)

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
If he doesn't score 5 goals in his first 3 games the caf will proclaim him a massive flop etc.

Can't wait for all the "instead of Sancho should we have bought 3 other players" threads

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I can see him going to Liverpool for £70M.

He would be a great addition to Man Utd but I'm over this saga, I think there are weaker holes in the squad than right wing now.

RkkMan

I can see him going to Liverpool for £70M.

He would be a great addition to Man Utd but I'm over this saga, I think there are weaker holes in the squad than right wing now.
Unless they can find a buyer for Mane or Salah before the Euros(that's when BVB want a deal done) I fail to see how he goes there or anywhere else bar us. We're the only team he's been SERIOUSLY A linked with him and the only ones who've put in serious groundwork for his signature and his signing doesn't stop us from signing a CB or DM even though it means we'd have to take a cheap gamble in one of those positions

sillwuka

Leeds may be happy to double their return on investment, let's offer £40 million.

They can buy Dan James and reinforce their squad with another player.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Leeds bought him for £15 million last summer. And we can see the talent but if 6 league goals and 8 assists is worth £50 million then whats Jack Harrison worth? He has 8 goals and 8 assists
This is the modern game and when united are in for a player the value goes up ten fold.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Why is Pote going to cost more than Bruno Fernandes?

Why would Leeds' second most productive winger cost £60 million? They're 10th not 3rd in the league
When they sold Bruno they were skint and in trouble. Now they are league winners looking to play CL.

What position was Southampton when they sold van Dijk? I dont think it is very relevant what position Leeds is at. They are in the PL, dont have to sell, dont want to sell. Probably their best player and certainly the one with the highest potential. Just bought him for £20 mill and have him tied down on a long contract.

I think they feel the sky is the limit with Bielsa. If you think they will sell players with high potential easily you are in for a surprise, I think.

croadyman

Unless they can find a buyer for Mane or Salah before the Euros(that's when BVB want a deal done) I fail to see how he goes there or anywhere else bar us. We're the only team he's been SERIOUSLY A linked with him and the only ones who've put in serious groundwork for his signature and his signing doesn't stop us from signing a CB or DM even though it means we'd have to take a cheap gamble in one of those positions
I think there are options for a cheaper CDM around europe IF we could somehow pull off the miracle of Sancho & Varane, however my gut feeling is we are only really looking at a Rice type player for that role unless Pogba leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.