Is Jose Mourinho still our best manager post Fergie?

Former Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho believes expectations at the club have dropped since his departure from Old Trafford

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...e-mourinho-manchester-united-verdict-20772193

“Another season” – Mourinho takes a swipe at Man United and Solskjaer

https://weallfollowunited.com/2021/...nho-fires-a-fresh-salvo-at-manchester-united/
No lies told

justsomebloke

No lies told
What a piece of crap.

The Portuguese tactician, however, was privy to different expectations during his time at Old Trafford. He was fired after two and a half seasons despite winning two trophies and also leading the club to the second place in the league.

Yeah, and then "the Portuguese tactician" crashed the team into the ground to a point where there was no other possibility than firing him. Perhaps that ought to be mentioned?

tomaldinho1

Zen86

All Mourinho cares about is his record and what the end of the season looks like. He forgets that people simply don’t want to watch the awful football he purposely provides week in week out, or put up with the constant misery he generates in the media.

Pogue Mahone

Poster of the year 2008 & 2020
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No lies told
I mean, as much as I dislike him, it’s true.
It’s complete bullshit. The absolute minimum requirement for any new manager is progress. Doing better each year. When Mourinho managed that he kept his job. When the team subsequently regressed he was rightfully sacked. The exact same rules apply to Ole.

Manny

Grammar Police
He lowered the expectations :lol:

Jose is the clown who told you in his first season that 6th place and Europa League was success.

tomaldinho1

It’s complete bullshit. The absolute minimum requirement for any new manager is progress. Doing better each year. When Mourinho managed that he kept his job. When the team subsequently regressed he was rightfully sacked. The exact same rules apply to Ole.
Half of Ole In think Ole is the first to ‘rebuild’ and therefore, by default, expectations are different.

The other half think there’s no difference at all and yet defend him after blanking another season on the trophy front.

At least I understand the logic of the first group. The second is ridiculous. Expectations were different from day 1.

McSauce FC

Funny man, this Jose.
This season, people were saying, ‘Great season, you finished second.’ I’d say, ‘We finished second. It’s a bad season.’
While actually saying, after finishing second:

I consider one of the best jobs of my career was to finish second with Man United.
He also failed to mention the stats of his last season with us ending in him being sacked while we were 6th in the league: WLLWWDLWDWWLDDDWL

7W, 5D and 5L in less than half a season. Not to mention losing to Derby in the League cup and to Valencia in the CL just before being sacked.

Reactions: Penna

James35

100% and I really hope your final sentence is true. I fear though if Ole wins nowt and finishes 4th next season he will still keep his job and excuses will be made for him because of who he is.

He needs to win a trophy or finish 1st. The latter being nigh on impossible.

Love or hate Jose, he did get to three finals and won two of them. So for me personally he is the best manager since SAF.

anant

I love how he didn't correct James Corden in the interview when Corden was confirming if he finished 2nd and won EL in the same season.

The reason he was sacked was because the side he built was going nowhere - nearly every player was in their prime years and the side was nowhere close to winning it. Add to that, he had a meltdown starting from the Sevilla defeat and he actively tried to sabotage the team till the end of his reign by picking up fights, targeting past it players and doing nothing towards building a team in a sustainable manner.

Pogue Mahone

Poster of the year 2008 & 2020
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
100% and I really hope your final sentence is true. I fear though if Ole wins nowt and finishes 4th next season he will still keep his job and excuses will be made for him because of who he is.

He needs to win a trophy or finish 1st. The latter being nigh on impossible.

Love or hate Jose, he did get to three finals and won two of them. So for me personally he is the best manager since SAF.
Probably one for the expectations thread but I would see a better points haul, irrespective of league position, as progress. He also needs to get us out of the group stages of the CL. That’s a major blot on his copy book, as it stands. I’m not overly fussed about the FA or League Cup. They aren’t always won by the best team in them.

Maticmaker

Until Ole or someone else managing United wins some more silverware, Jose will trot out his mantra of " two pieces of silverware and a second place finish, nobody has bettered that".
Its Jose doing his usual self aggrandizement performance, nothing to see here...move on!

Raveneye

Funny man, this Jose.

While actually saying, after finishing second:

He also failed to mention the stats of his last season with us ending in him being sacked while we were 6th in the league: WLLWWDLWDWWLDDDWL

7W, 5D and 5L in less than half a season. Not to mention losing to Derby in the League cup and to Valencia in the CL just before being sacked.
Excellent use of context.

Jose was fired because he lost the dressing room and was in a tailspin despite spending all his money on short-term buys yet trashing the squad in public. If he looked on course to finishing comfortably in the top 4 again he would probably have been given more time and certainly would not have been fired mid-season.

sugar_kane

It's mad how many people seem to think Jose finished second and won two trophies in the same season, seems to get quoted on a regular basis.

His last full season (his best ever, as claimed by Jose himself) was second place with zero trophies and a final. No different from Ole's last one, the difference being that Ole has a squad in harmony and is building towards the future.

Jose wasn't sacked for finishing second, he was sacked mid way through the following season where we were performing terribly and he was pulling the roof in. It's astonishing how no-one calls him out on his bullshit.

CanadianUtd

Supports
Vancouver, Boston
No - the United teams performances under Ole have been comfortably better than any manager since SAF retired.

1 fluke trophy under José (which if you remember we lucked out in the semi’s and finals with tons of luck) does not exempt him of the the atrocious football he had our team playing. And I’m a José supporter. He extracts the best of out what he has with no regard for what anyone (including his players) thinks and hence why he says finishing 2nd with the squad we had was one of his biggest achievements. Because it was. We have to give credit where credit is due because he dragged points out of that team which had no business finishing top4 let alone runners up.

But again, no. He’s the 2nd best manager we’ve had since post Fergie.

...in a parallel universe far far away, United’s 20/21 Xl if Mourinho was still in charge:

De Gea
Darmian Alderweireld Skriniar Young
Matic Herrera
Fellaini
Bale Lukaku Alexis

:wenger: