Is Jose Mourinho still our best manager post Fergie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acole9

Outstanding
Nope. Ole is. I don't give a flying feck about EL or LC or FA Cup wins for what it's worth.

The side that Mou left left behind vs the side Ole is having right now - the difference is stark and not only that one burned the house down, and was trying his best to burn everything in the neighborhood down as well
:lol:

IncyWincySpider

I suppose you could argue that with three years and half a billion quid, Moyes might have won something. Fergie can't have been that wrong about him.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Tbf Mourinho inherited a lot of rubbish and he tried to get got rid of a few ....(Memphis, Schweinsteger, Schneiderlin...)

A lot of the squad players were on fat wages and were hard to shift. Something Ole has been finding hard to do too...
And he topped that off with signing Sanchez at absoloutely absurd wages, which combined with him being useless and barely playing, fecked up our wage structure completely which meant the likes of Martial and Herrera also asked for wages way above their ability

Zlatan was great, other than that his other signings turned out to be mostly headaches to varying degrees

Revan

Assumptionman
Mourinho has been the best, Moyes the worst.

The only question is who has been the second-best manager, Ole or LVG?

redsunited

Jose tenure till he signed contract extension was the best.

Second best is David Moyes. That says it all.
The amount of money spent under Ole, LVG and Jose are enormous and we are playing the same way as under David Moyes (atleast he didnt spend) and won nothing except the FA cup with LVG.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Jose tenure till he signed contract extension was the best.

Second best is David Moyes. That says it all.
The amount of money spent under Ole, LVG and Jose are enormous and we are playing the same way as under David Moyes (atleast he didnt spend) and won nothing except the FA cup with LVG.
Moyes took over the champions. He didn’t need to spend millions. And when he did it was on the wrong players that we are still lumbered with.

el3mel

Mourinho has been the best, Moyes the worst.

The only question is who has been the second-best manager, Ole or LVG?
I want Ole sacked ASAP but I will take his period ahead of LVG easily. Fa Cup was nice but it was a piss easy draw with our strongest opponent being Everton. Not to mention, LVG managed us in a shit version of Premier League when most big clubs were going through transition or don't have many top managers around. His opponents were Pellegrini, Rodgers, past it Wenger and Pochettino. The best manager in the league back then was Mourinho and he was sacked in LVG's second season, but he still barely finished 4th in his first season and 5th in second one.

Not to mention has insomnia curing football.

Mourinho's first 2 seasons were great, but they are shadowed by his 3rd season debacle unfortunately. Still, I won't lie, the summer we hired him and signed Pogba, Zlatan, Bailly and Mikhi was the summer I was the most excited about United post Fergie. We signed Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane this summer, but I still couldn't forget the fact that these players are joining a team managed by Ole.

Ralph1386

Whether it's Ole or Mourinho, it's not like any of them have been impressive. There is no pride in being the top manager out of that lot, because the club has been a shambles since Fergie retired. And Top 4 finishes don't cover that.

Revan

Assumptionman
I want Ole sacked ASAP but I will take his period ahead of LVG easily. Fa Cup was nice but it was a piss easy draw with our strongest opponent being Everton. Not to mention, LVG managed us in a shit version of Premier League when most big clubs were going through transition or don't have many top managers around. His opponents were Pellegrini, Rodgers, past it Wenger and Pochettino. The best manager in the league back then was Mourinho and he was sacked in LVG's second season, but he still barely finished 4th in his first season and 5th in second one.

Mourinho's first 2 seasons were great, but they are shadowed by his 3rd season debacle unfortunately. Still, I won't lie, the summer we hired him and signed Pogba, Zlatan, Bailly and Mikhi was the summer I was the most excited about United post Fergie. We signed Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane this summer, but I still couldn't forget the fact that these players are joining a team managed by Ole.
On the other hand, he spent less money and started from a worse squad. I think probably Ole edges it, but I think it is close.

Ixion

I do not buy this idea that Ole has rebuilt us, created our strongest squad in years. Of our midfield options, Fred, Matic and Pogba were all signed by Mourinho and McTominay got his start in the first team under Jose. We're still playing a Mourinho midfield 3 years into Ole's tenure.

The only thing Ole has done for our midfield in 3 years is sign VDB and sell Herrera while being lauded for creating this amazing squad. Our biggest weakness that is costing us in every single game is something Ole has not bothered to look at in 3 years.

Last edited:

MS4

Anyone who thinks Mourinho was the best or did a good job is out of their mind.
Pogba? Mhiki? Sanchez?
Mourinho and LVG only caused more than less problems

KeanoMagicHat

We concede every game under Ole. That wasn't the case with Jose. Despite having an in theory solid back 4 we don't defend well at all. Our midfield even with a double pivot is still a shambles.
But that was the reason he was sacked? Conceded 27 goals in 17 games in 18/19 before he left.

Flytan

If mourinho had played for us not a single one of you delusional people would take oles stint over his. It's an embarrassment how much ole has spent with no trophies. Even a few second rate ones

beer&grill

Only on redcafe and r/reddevils you will see people rating Ole higher than Mourinho. Hell, there were even some posters who rated Ole higher than Tuchel and Rodgers in the EPL Managers tier list thread.

M Bison

Supports
York City
when Ole leaves, the squad is in a much better state than what Mourinho left behind.

I’m quite optimistic that whoever comes in, will perform well as the squad is very strong and it’s less of a rebuild than when Ole came in.

Ixion

But that was the reason he was sacked? Conceded 27 goals in 17 games in 18/19 before he left.
His goals against in his two full seasons was tremendous and better than any of Oles, Van Gaal or Moyes' and I think you need to go back to Vidic/Rio when we last had a record that good. We didn't sign the defender he wanted in the summer and that's why he threw his toys out of the pram at the start of that 3rd season.

He wanted Maguire among others

KeanoMagicHat

His goals against in his two full seasons was tremendous and better than any of Oles, Van Gaal or Moyes' and I think you need to go back to Vidic/Rio when we last had a record that good. We didn't sign the defender he wanted in the summer and that's why he threw his toys out of the pram at the start of that 3rd season.

He wanted Maguire among others
Yeah he undermined those very defenders that had done a good job for them, publicly in the media, and then wondered why they weren't as good that season. It was a self-fulfilling prophecy. Mourinho's first two seasons as manager of United, if he maintained that level, he'd still be in the job. But he was determined to blow it all up, as he always does, and he did spectacularly.

Godfather

when Ole leaves, the squad is in a much better state than what Mourinho left behind.

I’m quite optimistic that whoever comes in, will perform well as the squad is very strong and it’s less of a rebuild than when Ole came in.
Let's wait and see

Ixion

If Ole got sacked right now the midfield he leaves behind would be Mourinho's, Pogba/Matic/Fred/McTominay.

He would also be leaving a manager with the problem of Pogba, Lingard and Cavani gone by the summer.

Last edited:
The first 18 months were extremely enjoyable.
They really weren't. We were tumescent to watch for pretty much the entirety of 2016/17, that was the season Bournemouth scored more goals than us.

It's honestly a struggle to think of a time since Sir Alex where we've actually been enjoyable to watch as a team. All I can think of is the post-restart phase in 19/20, the 4-0 FC spell in Mourinho's second season, and maybe Van Gaal's purple patch in 14/15 with the wins against Liverpool and City. And I guess the constant comebacks last season were enjoyable in a bonkers kind of way...

TsuWave

Harsh reality, and painful to admit considering how shit it was, but yes.

Then again, competition was/is Moyes, an out of touch with club football LvG, and bummy Ole.

Ixion

and maybe Van Gaal's purple patch in 14/15 with the wins against Liverpool and City.
Honestly that's probably my favourite spell since Sir Alex went. It seemed Van Gaal had finally sussed it and even found a use for Fellaini, shame it didn't last. I liked Van Gaal, the personality, just too cautious for United.

Judas

Open to offers
Jose won us the most, but it was probably the least connected I've felt with our team since I've been alive, it was grim. I've enjoyed the Ole reign more, even with the many downs, it's been a hell of a lot more fun.

It seemed Van Gaal had finally sussed it and even found a use for Fellaini, shame it didn't last
I will never understand why he ditched that formation for yet another sleep-inducing 4-2-3-1 the next season.

We actually had some well-developed patterns of play (TM) with that system! Good balance on both sides of the pitch, with Blind, Young, Fellaini as the direct options on the left while Mata, Herrera and Valencia linked up on the right, Carrick keeping things ticking behind them. It was the sort of setup where you could actually see something being built and think "a few upgrades in specific positions and we could be quite good".

Giggsy13

It’s a shame Jose has gone insane otherwise he’d probably be able to get more out of this squad than the one he first started with.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

+1 and that bolded part gets overlooked all the time, City and Pool were nowhere near as good then as they are now and Chelsea were a mess after Jose had his meltdown season

That and the football was just diabolical. Besides some outliers like Juanfield, we were incredibly dull to watch under him

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Jose made this club toxic as feck. I’d rather use my eyeballs as pin cushions than have him back.

NoLogo

They were all pretty useless. José and van Gaal lived on past glories and had been left behind by the modern developments in football. Moyes was too much of a pragmatist and had been working for too long with mediocre players to adapt to the new situation and while Ole has the best team of all these managers we still look like a team without a plan and DNA. So yeah I refuse to call anyone of them "the best" manager when all of them have been somewhere between horrible and underwhelming.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
If Jose had this current team he'd Have us challenging I’ve no doubt.

jem

So is he?

The last time we picked up silverware was FOUR years ago under Jose.

And will Ole eventually win a trophy next season? or will the drought continue?

Yes, but it's a bit like saying among Rooney, Tevez, and Kuyt, Wayne is the best looking of the bunch.

jem

If Jose had this current team he'd Have us challenging I’ve no doubt.
Not sure about that. I imagine he'd have us playing intensely negative football against all the top teams, something that has had increasingly diminishing returns for him over his last few jobs. It would be excruciating to watch.

Foxbatt

Jose's first two seasons were better. He won the two cups and got us to 2nd. He then imploded and it was toxic. Ole never won anything so far and honestly the football is as bad as it was with Jose. In his first season we played a lot of good football but failed to score as much as we should have. His EL Final was a master class. If he had been our Manager against Villareal we would have won the Final. His team was no where near as good as this team. He had problems with Pogba and three years after we still have problems with Pogba as we do not know how to best use him. Maybe Jose was right? Maybe Pogba was not a good buy?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Not sure about that. I imagine he'd have us playing intensely negative football against all the top teams, something that has had increasingly diminishing returns for him over his last few jobs. It would be excruciating to watch.
even if it’s negative we would get results unlike now where it’s negative and we aren’t getting any results.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Given that our owners completely lack the ambition to win anything I care about, Ole has at least lost entertainingly until recently. So I prefer him to Jose's 'Shit on a Stick' football or LVGs borefest of sideways passing.

If we actually wanted to win something that counts we would have appointed Poch instead of Ole and started a high press squad restructure. But we clearly don't.

Roane

Jose's first two seasons were better. He won the two cups and got us to 2nd. He then imploded and it was toxic. Ole never won anything so far and honestly the football is as bad as it was with Jose. In his first season we played a lot of good football but failed to score as much as we should have. His EL Final was a master class. If he had been our Manager against Villareal we would have won the Final. His team was no where near as good as this team. He had problems with Pogba and three years after we still have problems with Pogba as we do not know how to best use him. Maybe Jose was right? Maybe Pogba was not a good buy?

I was against having Jose as a manager and was happy enough to see him go. But that was more about the man and his days at Chelsea etc.

That said I think a lot of what he was whinging and moaning about in his "toxic season" has come to pass.

I wanted Pogba as a player and Martial was also a favourite. As time has passed Joses views and wanting them gone seem to be the most accurate. Maybe dislike of the man, Jose, saw likes of me being negative towards him about these players and his whole second place in the league with the players he had being his biggest achievement.

As for Ole leaving the squad in a better position. I really don't think so. We have players on big contracts who will be hard to get rid of for a new manager plus potentially losing players who aren't signing contracts plus aging players. Any new manager coming in will need money and lots of it. Which isn't a bad thing generally but what we have spent under Ole should leave the next man nothing more than a tweak not a rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.