Is Jose Mourinho still our best manager post Fergie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Still? He wasn’t to begin with.

Zlatattack

Interesting.

I'd rather prefer to watch my team win than lose.
I watch football to be entertained, i don't get a bonus if the team win a trophy at the end of the season.

You should just switch to City then. Much more likely to win and the football isn't boring. Alternatively try Bayern, they're always winning and have excellent football.

Manchester United under LvG/Mourinho were the shittest side i've ever had the misfortune to watch. It could be on par with the England national team under Capello.

The game against Yoevil town was the worst - just so so boring.

Oldyella

I watch football to be entertained, i don't get a bonus if the team win a trophy at the end of the season.

You should just switch to City then. Much more likely to win and the football isn't boring. Alternatively try Bayern, they're always winning and have excellent football.

Manchester United under LvG/Mourinho were the shittest side i've ever had the misfortune to watch. It could be on par with the England national team under Capello.

Posts like this are just bloody ridiculous. Go and support another club because you want ours to be successful. Jesus christ.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
He Obviously won more than Ole but that’s not everything to me.
I’ve preferred watching our seasons with Ole in charge

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Look at the Europa run when we won it :lol: we didnt even top a dreadful group.

Oles Europa run was more impressive this year than Mourinhos despite not winning.

Oles FA Cup run this year was more impressive than LVGs despite not winning.

In the cups an easy draw goes a long way. Just look at Chelsea's CL group and first KO tie this year.
although I’m positive Mourinho would win a final with our team against a 7th place La Liga side

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
1000% he won medals with Fellaini. Ole would get relegated if he has him as an option.
Is that all football is about to you? Winning a cup? Even if it’s the elf, feck enjoyment you just want that shiney

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I don't get the thread.

Jose Mourinho was a disaster of epic proportions. How can he be the best at, well, anything? Weirdness.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
But he didn't get past a Sevilla team in the last 16?
Yes but I feel Mourinho knows how to navigate a final as contradictory as it sounds. I’m actually not in the Ole-out camp but Ole was overawed by the occasion in terms decision making and subs .

Nickelodeon

Best is a very subjective term. Had we won PL or CL, then undoubtedly yes. But he didn’t. For me, his toxicity and his brand of football was not worth the EL and LC. For me, Ole is the best manager we’ve had in terms of balance. I also think that Ole deserves to be sacked. So what a goldmine we’ve picked.

Zlatattack

Posts like this are just bloody ridiculous. Go and support another club because you want ours to be successful. Jesus christ.
No - the idea that you'd prefer Mourinhos non football for trophies is ridiculous. It's like using cheats on fifa.

cyberman

One top 4 season either side of 6th probably lower than 6th.
But that 1 season when he finished second huh? Far better than Oles 3rd and 2nd. Ole can get the next five 2nd places in a row on 80 points each and that 1 season will still be brought up on here.

Judas

Open to offers
Nah it was the furthest thing from a joy to experience him. It's shame we've still not won anything under Ole, its far from good enough, but its not the depressive sludgefest it was under Jose. We had one good league campaign under him, and most of us wanted him gone at the end of it because it was miserable.

The Hilton

I don't get the thread.

Jose Mourinho was a disaster of epic proportions. How can he be the best at, well, anything? Weirdness.
Some people on here are so short sighted that they'd happily drop the club into the wilderness for years just to get some silverware. Which is fitting, because it's precisely what Jose did.

bsCallout

Yes but I feel Mourinho knows how to navigate a final as contradictory as it sounds. I’m actually not in the Ole-out camp but Ole was overawed by the occasion in terms decision making and subs .
It is contradictory. Ole beat better teams in knockout ties than Mourinho did. The final came down to a penalty.

Even in some of those easy ties we only scraped through with Mourinho.

P.s. could you have imagined that final Mourinho vs Emery both playing park the bus?

Speedicut75

Yes, and the conventional metrics used to determine success would indicate such, but, like many would suggest, longterm development, and continuity within the squad itself were grievously neglected, and, in fact, made demonstrably worse by The Toxic One so at the end of the day it's a qualified "yes" at best.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

Totally with you on this,

there’s 100 or so teams in the football league with 5 or 6 trophies to be won, if every fan of every club acted like the spoilt entitled fans that some United fans on this forum act there’d be no teams left.

I genuinely was losing interest and the love of the game when mourhino was in charge, didn’t like him, didn’t like the team, didn’t like the football, dreaded the future but we won two lower rate cups.

Under solajkaer I now look forward to games, have belief in the Team not to throw the towel in when behind, happier with the players, basically it’s an all round better experience as a fan to me. Just missing that final piece of a big trophy and I believe we’re closer to that under Ole than we ever were under mourhino.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
It is contradictory. Ole beat better teams in knockout ties than Mourinho did. The final came down to a penalty.

Even in some of those easy ties we only scraped through with Mourinho.

P.s. could you have imagined that final Mourinho vs Emery both playing park the bus?
He can’t win a semi but I totally believe he can win a final :rolleyes: anything to have a go at Ole from some fans

Oldyella

No - the idea that you'd prefer Mourinhos non football for trophies is ridiculous. It's like using cheats on fifa.
I wouldn't. (Although I didn't think the football was that bad early doors with Jose, just dire by the end, as is usual because he doesn't seem to coach teams to attack).

But just because someone feels they were willing to stomach a more negative brand of football to see more trophy success doesn't mean they should be told to support another club.

CM

Only if you're measuring success by trophies.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
He’s the most successful of the four managers for us and, yes, despite his decline the best.

That said, while another season under Ole doesn’t fill with me with confidence, I daren’t imagine where we’d have ended up with another year of Mourinho.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I wouldn't. (Although I didn't think the football was that bad early doors with Jose, just dire by the end, as is usual because he doesn't seem to coach teams to attack).

But just because someone feels they were willing to stomach a more negative brand of football to see more trophy success doesn't mean they should be told to support another club.
No but if all they care about is winning that trophy and not so much the enjoyment of the game and club then maybe they’d be better off

Siorac

I don't think winning the League Cup and the Europa League were worth the damage Mourinho did. So no.

We haven't had a good manager since Fergie though.

youmeletsfly

Jose>Lvg>Ole>Moyes but frankly it doesn't matter.

What is really really fecking sad about the above is that, out of all 4, LVG seemed to be the only one having a god damn playing style and plan. He was also the best at improving players.
It really shows what we're missing, a fecking coach, it's that simple.

One of the posters above mentioned that winning the league cup and UEL was not worth it for all the trouble Mourinho has done and I 100% agree.

Ixion

I just wish LVG's style of play was more attacking as I think he was actually the best manager.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I didn't think Mourinho did a good job at United nor did I enjoy his stint/football, but I have to agree that he was our best manager post SAF. He won more trophies than the others and also managed our best league finish. Yes, I prefer the younger team we have now but at the end of the day we haven't won anything for a long time now and you play to win things.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I was never a Mourinho fan, not even back on his peak career times. Always disliked the persona and the football brand and I think that his career shows that having a trendable persona is sometimes more important than knowledge.

• Mourinho 2nd place 81 pts with 68-28 on GD. When we were 6th with Mourinho, we managed to nick 69 points.
  • Ole managed also a 2nd place 74 pts with 73-44 on GD. Ole previous 3rd place with 66 points is still 3 points less than Mourinho's 6th.

We are playing better football, but results wise we are pretty similar as under Mourinho. I don't get deluded saying we improved, because the only thing improved was playing a marginally better football style.

Mainoldo

Is that all football is about to you? Winning a cup? Even if it’s the elf, feck enjoyment you just want that shiney
No it’s about seeing the smiles on all those little faces and knowing the players who play for the team I support are happy.

As it seems like that counts these days. Man are concerned about the atmosphere in Carrington. Funnily enough no one can confirm or deny if it’s now a happy place.

IncyWincySpider

I would actually rather have this season with Ole than to have won the league with Jose. That man just was not right for United. It felt like a different club with him there and I could barely watch them play. Dark days.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
No it’s about seeing the smiles on all those little faces and knowing the players who play for the team I support are happy.

As it seems like that counts these days. Man are concerned about the atmosphere in Carrington. Funnily enough no one can confirm or deny if it’s now a happy place.
So the answer is yes. Thought as much

bsCallout

I’m genuinely curious, how not?

If you say ‘players are happy’ it kind of sums up the issue when that’s your barometer of a successful manager.
So you couldn't come up with anything?

Mourinhos EL - Second in a group with Fenerbache, Feyenord, Zorya. Then beat St Etienne, Rostov, Anderlecht, Celta Vigo, Ajax.

In his CL group it was Moscow, Basel, Benfica then went out to Sevilla with a draw and a loss.

Comparatively

Oles Europa Run - Beat PSG, Leipzig, Granada, AC Milan, Sociedad, Roma lost to Villarreal.

First season topped the group with AZ, Partizan, Astana then beat Brugge, Lask, Copenhagen. Losing to Sevilla 2-1(in a game we dominated).

In CL beat PSG in the quarters.

Looking at both their runs, Ole has beaten much better teams in Europe including in knockout rounds than Mourinho did.

The draw was very kind to Mourinho as is often the case with winners.

In the FA Cup this season we beat Liverpool and West Ham, going out to the winners. Mourinho beat Brighton & Tottenham to reach his final that he lost to Chelsea.

In Mourinhos first season we finished 6th.
In Oles first full season we finished 4th.
Both got 2nd in their 2nd season.
Add to that we have a much younger more talented squad coming through. The environment in and around the club is night and day. Oh and the football is more enjoyable.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
[
Winning trophies is the point of football.
good job you had the pleasure of supporting United through the 90’s and 00’s then and not someone like Newcastle or Spurs or Luton or shef Wednesday. What would be the point in that

Status
Not open for further replies.