Is Jose Mourinho still our best manager post Fergie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saivet

Ole has been the best relative to expectations (I expected feck all from him) but Jose was the best, even if I hated him more than any other manager.

While I hated his football, LVG actually implemented a style of play. While it meant feck all I remember us losing away to Chelsea's Conte but we had something like 70% possession. No possession doesn't win you game but having a manager that can and tries to dominate games against the stronger teams was something at least. Ole, Jose (this version of Jose) and Moyes just don't have that in their locker.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I hate him the most, but he is still the best out of the worst. 2 trophies and 2nd place finish in 2.5 years.

Foxbatt

He brought the best night after SAF retired. That EL Final master class. It was typical Jose. By pass their midfield by playing to Fellaini. Don't let fe de Ligt have the ball.

Lecland07

No doubt for me. Mourinho was also competing in a tougher league when there was actually a top six. The top six does not even exist anymore. Solskjaer's biggest points total (74) would only be enough to finish top four in one of Mourinho's seasons, which was 18/19.

Look at how the points barrier for top four has dropped since 16/17.

16/17: 76 points (5th got 75 points) (2nd: 86 points)
17/18: 75 points (5th got 70 points) (2nd: 81 points)
18/19: 71 points (5th got 70 points) (2nd: 97 points)
19/20: 66 points (5th got 62 points) (2nd: 81 points)
20/21: 67 points (5th got 66 points) (2nd: 74 points) - The second place points total is pretty telling how weak the league became last season.

For me, I feel Solskjaer has been quite lucky that the league has weakened in his time as manager. It seems to be turning around now for Chelsea, Liverpool, and Man City, who are all on course for 90 points or more. This is showing how out of depth he really is at Manchester United. I feel Solskjaer got away with it last season not giving a title challenge. That was the weakest league for a long time and Man City only posted 86 points, which is nothing remarkable. I still think we should have given a title challenge last year, and missed out on a great opportunity.

Now, I know people will say you cannot compare seasons, but I disagree. You can compare seasons when you take into account the rating of teams. Arsenal and Tottenham are widely regarded to have become much worse than they were back in Mourinho's term, and this is why these points are telling.

Add on that Mourinho won the Europa League and the League Cup, and it is not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.