Is Jose Mourinho still our best manager post Fergie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ixion

[

good job you had the pleasure of supporting United through the 90’s and 00’s then and not someone like Newcastle or Spurs or Luton or shef Wednesday. What would be the point in that
The point for all fans theirs and ours is the dream they'll get promoted and into the top division and maybe win the league eventually and other competitions. The whole attraction of football is the dream you can one day get to the top of the pyramid.

GueRed

I watch football to be entertained, i don't get a bonus if the team win a trophy at the end of the season.

You should just switch to City then. Much more likely to win and the football isn't boring. Alternatively try Bayern, they're always winning and have excellent football.

Manchester United under LvG/Mourinho were the shittest side i've ever had the misfortune to watch. It could be on par with the England national team under Capello.

The game against Yoevil town was the worst - just so so boring.
We've had our fair share of to put it mildly 'boring' games under LVG and Ole as well tbh.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
The point for all fans theirs and ours is the dream they'll get promoted and into the top division and maybe win the league eventually and other competitions. The whole attraction of football is the dream you can one day get to the top of the pyramid.
Yes exactly, the dream, the journey, the team, the hope, the fun, the support. That’s what football is.

these fans who would ditch anything and all that just to get a trophy even if it’s the football league trophy amazes me. That’s not what football is about to me.

Eddy_JukeZ

The fact that it's a debate should tell you everything about the progress we've apparently made.

LARulz

:lol: If the Europa league is the height of your ambition, yeah sure.
But nowhere is it saying Europa is the height of ambition. It's fact Mourinho has been a better manager as he has won trophies and Ole hasn't. Both have finished second in the league too.

Mourinho has been the best since Fergie and it's not even a debate if looking at what the achieved in terms of results. Ole is in a better position than Mourinho was but I honestly cannot see Ole matching what Mourinho did with the squad he had

bsCallout

We've had our fair share of to put it mildly 'boring' games under LVG and Ole as well tbh.
So have City under Pep, and Lpool under Klopp. But it's definitely better than it's been since SAF imo. Probably even better than some SAF teams, there used to be some awful games(not in general obviously).

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If you think Utd just stands for success and trophies: yes

IMO, he's the worst manager post Fergie as never were we so far off from what Utd truly stood for.

The play was too passive, youth not given a chance, no cohesion and the atmosphere around the club was broken. We weren't a hardworking team under him which was visible from the running stats under his tenure. Add to that, we were losing talented kids to other clubs and our U23s were relegated. In terms of technology, we removed all cameras from Carrington, weren't using any GPS trackers to keep track of training intensity.

bsCallout

But nowhere is it saying Europa is the height of ambition. It's fact Mourinho has been a better manager as he has won trophies and Ole hasn't. Both have finished second in the league too.

Mourinho has been the best since Fergie and it's not even a debate if looking at what the achieved in terms of results. Ole is in a better position than Mourinho was but I honestly cannot see Ole matching what Mourinho did with the squad he had
When you look at the trophy wins, is the opposition irrelevant in your opinion?

Ole has beaten much better teams in Europe than Mourinho, so why it is as simple as black and white, missed the penalty therefore Ole is worse?

Ole has also beaten better teams in the domestic cups. We've also had better performances against the likes of City.

Born2Lose

The fact that it's a debate should tell you everything about the progress we've apparently made.
I'm not sure I'd place much store what's said on this place, I remember most saying we wouldn't finish in the top 4 after Sancho wasn't signed. Other golden threads include DDG being better than Schmeichel and VDS and Welbeck going to become a goal king at Arsenal.

bsCallout

I'm not sure I'd place much store what's said on this place, I remember most saying we wouldn't finish in the top 4 after Sancho wasn't signed. Other golden threads include DDG being better than Schmeichel and VDS and Welbeck going to become a goal king at Arsenal.
@Leroy The Red ATTACK!

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You’re kidding right?

What is made of metal, generally gets presented to a single team at the end of a tournament and then goes into a cabinet?
So if a manager win a trophy but sold most youngsters, bought over the hill quality players just to get that one shitty trophy that year that would mean he’s the best. Forget everything else and the following year, the only thing that matters is that bit of metal that one year. I’m not shocked people think like this after decades of United winning but it’s still shit never the less.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He won a trophy but probably left us in worse shape than anyone

even if Ole was replaced this summer you could say he did a very good job rebuilding the squad, the morale, the kids, the structure and next in the job will have a considerably easier job than Ole inherited

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
So if a manager win a trophy but sold most youngsters, bought over the hill quality players just to get that one shitty trophy that year that would mean he’s the best. Forget everything else and the following year, the only thing that matters is that bit of metal that one year. I’m not shocked people think like this after decades of United winning but it’s still shit never the less.
:lol: So silly, right?
People are acting like we have never won anything meaningful in our history so any trophy no matter the cost would be fine.
Buying Sanchez, Bailly and Co. and winning the EL while finishing 6th in the league. What an achievement.
I could maybe accept all the damage he left behind if he had actually won the league or CL, but never in a million years for anything else.
And it’s not like he invested in some young and talented players where we are reaping the rewards now.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

even if Ole was replaced this summer you could say he did a very good job rebuilding the squad, the morale, the kids, the structure and next in the job will have a considerably easier job than Ole inherited
Indeed, laying the foundations. Jose, burnt us too the ground.

Vernon Philander

A finished Rooney, finished Carrick, finished Valencia, Fellaini, Young, Darmian, Rojo. These are the calibre of players Mourinho had to play on a regular basis.

And people still need to ask if he was the best we've had since Fergie, winning the 2 trophies in the same season as the above dross.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
This is funny because Fellaini did more to cover Jose's shortcomings than any other player
That poster isn’t to be taken seriously. Pretty sure it’s a spoof account.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Look at the Europa run when we won it :lol: we didnt even top a dreadful group.

Oles Europa run was more impressive this year than Mourinhos despite not winning.

Oles FA Cup run this year was more impressive than LVGs despite not winning.

In the cups an easy draw goes a long way. Just look at Chelsea's CL group and first KO tie this year.
The irony of your name here :lol: So, to follow this logic, when Ole loses matches, it's more impressive than when LVG or Mourinho won, right? This all is starting to resemble RAWKs alternative table.

Manny

Grammar Police

Your judging them on silverware and short term success. The height of which was the Europa League, because Jose clearly wasn't taking the club any further.

Overlooking the bit where Ole took over a club in free fall, turned it around and now looks to be building something bigger... And only missed out on the Europa League through penalties.

bsCallout

The irony of your name here :lol: So, to follow this logic, when Ole loses matches, it's more impressive than when LVG or Mourinho won, right? This all is starting to resemble RAWKs alternative table.
No it's that the games Ole won are better than the games Mourinho won. Due to the draw on ended up with a trophy. When did I mention who they lost against?

There is context to a cup run/win. It's not black and white.

It wouldn't mental to assume Ole wouldn't win the Europa facing the teams that Mourinho did.

Ole beat PSG in a last 16 tie. Mourinho lost to Sevilla in a last 16 tie.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
No it's that the games Ole won are better than the games Mourinho won. Due to the draw on ended up with a trophy. When did I mention who they lost against?

There is context to a cup run/win. It's not black and white.

It wouldn't mental to assume Ole wouldn't win the Europa facing the teams that Mourinho did.

Ole beat PSG in a last 16 tie. Mourinho lost to Sevilla in a last 16 tie.
Ole lost to a second rate Turkish team in the CL when we were in pole position. He then failed to sub Fred off who was on a yellow and had the whole of PSG trying to get him off. And then he setup cowardly against Leipzig and did not react until it was far too late. Hence why were in the Europa League. Our path towards the final was against so so teams, nothing special. At all. All winnable.

I can't remember our path towards the final under Mourinho, but I can't imagine it was "easier" than what we've come up against now.

We lost against Leicester in the semi final of the FA Cup. We lost to Sevilla in the semi finals of Europa last year (who also knocked out Mourinho's United).

I'm not seeing any heroic defeats here for Ole. Just a team that's failed to show up. Not trying to put the boot in or anything, but the lengths people go to shield him from criticism borders on delusion.

Ludens the Red

Easy one this.

In terms of results it’s Mourinho but under Ole the squad is better, in a better state and plays better, marginally mind.

LVG for me.The cannon fodder left from his reign far exceeds that from Mourinhos. I think that’s reflected in the fact there’s only two players from his reign who are still anywhere near the first team.
Memphis, Rojo, Darmian, Schweinsteiger, Di Maria, Falcao, Schneiderlin all abysmal. The only thing he left was Rashford and maybe Martial.

Relfy

Jose was, in my opinion at least, a disaster. Yes, he won us two trophies, and I thank him very much for both of those, but taking some perspective on his tenure, we were a mess before he arrived and that only got worse. I think collectively between him and LVG we became dethatched from what the club stood for. We signed players on name and reputation, as opposed to surveying what they were like as a person and how they would fit the club. This left us with little cliques within the squad, too many poor players on huge contracts, and helped create a toxic environment, which fuelled by Jose led to his departure.

He got us to 2nd place with 81 points, which although should not be ignored, we were 19 points off top spot and the following season we were in freefall. The football was awful for the majority of his time, we weren't progressing, and most of his signings didn't work and have since been shipped out.

We all want United to be successful and win trophies, but for me that has to come from the spirit of United and for us to be true to our traditions. Not selling our soul for some immediate success which leaves us with a bloated squad. I'm proud of the club, its history and traditions, and this is why I fell in love with United. Not the trophies. We've been spoilt for decades, we're not currently good enough to win the big trophies, and narrowly missed out on the Europa, albeit after a poor performance. We have no divine right to win every competition we enter. Yes, we're Manchester United, but we're quite simply not as good as we were 10 years ago. Get on with it.

Anyone on here seeking instant success, can and should go elsewhere and take their toxicity with them. The fan base, at least on here/Twitter at times is laughable. I know there are always disagreements on certain aspects, but how did it come to everyone attacking each other for having a different view than them? Why are there people wanting us to lose so a manager can be sacked? Never in my life would I wish that on my club. It's time for fans to either get behind the team, manager and club or feck off and support someone else.

Reactions: golden_blunder
Status
Not open for further replies.