Is Jose Mourinho still our best manager post Fergie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fully Fledged

It all comes down to what you want from all this. I'm fortunate enough to have seen us win everything multiple times over and ultimately a United manager will always be judged on how many trophies he delivers so nobody can really question that Jose has been the most successful.

Like I said though its what you want from all this, and speaking from a personal perspective I'd become very blasé about this club during LVG and Jose's time here. The football wasn't enjoyable, I couldn't really identify with the team and I didn't like the managers - particularly Jose who should have been sacked the morning after the Sevilla post-match interview. The fact that he wasn't was depressing. I'd been raised on a manager that clearly lived for the club and that's more important to me than many other things. I still never missed a game of course but I'd stopped going to Old Trafford.

Ole changed that. Yes being a former player helped but that wasn't the half of it. He bleeds United and expects nothing less from the players too. I like this team. I like what we are trying to do here. People are too quick to throw accusations of sentiment at Ole-backers, and maybe that is true for some, but it also belittles the progress that he has made as manager. One final defeat doesn't change that. I've always been prepared to say his time is up when it feels like we've peaked, but I don't feel that way at all. Even if he doesn't get much further than this, failing at doing something the right way is better at succeeding the wrong way.

This clubs identity is the best thing about it by far and Ole gets that. Its a shame that so many of you don't.
Yep. It's not sentiment it's identity. I've been a United fan for more than 40 years and Jose never got what it meant to be United but Ole does.

Paul_Scholes18

So you seriously think moyes has done a better job?
Not a better job, but better result. Moyes obviously failed to win the 4 big trophies he could have won, but got the Shield at least. Ole has failed to win 11 titles possible that we could have won. So yes it is obvious that Ole has failed more, but Moyes certainly deserved the sack. Ole did not deserve the job in the first place too.

AgentSmith

So you seriously think moyes has done a better job?
I wouldn’t waste your energy.

Implying Moyes had a better managerial tenure than Ole because he won a Charity Shield against Wigan that he only qualified for because Ferguson won the title the season before is either delusional or just trolling.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Hiring Mourinho was as bad a mistake as hiring Moyes. Both set us back. At least Ole has the club improving and on a good path.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I wouldn’t waste your energy.

Implying Moyes had a better managerial tenure than Ole because he won a Charity Shield against Wigan that he only qualified for because Ferguson won the title the season before is either delusional or just trolling.
I think im gonna step out of these type of conversations for a few days because a lot of our so called fans seem to have been drinking the crazy juice

Red Star One

It's toxic is what it is. We lost on a penalty taken by a goalkeeper. I know that people don't rate Villa real but the Spanish league has been among the best for the past decade or so.
At the end of the day the people who are moaning would have downplayed the EL as a nothing tournament if we had won it. They want a tier 1 manager and can't see that Ole can get there. I believe that we need to give him time to finish his rebuild and see where we are then.
If we keep getting CL qualification and the style of football keeps getting better then let's see where it goes. When we fail to qualify for the CL we can start pointing fingers at the manager. If we want to get past that we need better investment.
Many here, me included, believe we lost much earlier. If we went out on penalties and we could say Ole did all he could to win, it's a different story. We went out on penalties mainly because Ole didn't have a plan for the game and found himself clueless in a situation where we needed his sharp and accurate decisions most. Not for the first time, too. Our football surely improved in a non-stressful situations, we are better cruising through the league and managed to turn some of the draws into wins, you have to give it to Ole. When it comes to matches that really matter, be it final games of our CL group stage this year or latter stages of cups, we are completely unreliable. Going into Leicester or Villarreal game lately I was only wondering if we again manage to bottle it, and we did. This is a major problem IMO

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
It all comes down to what you want from all this. I'm fortunate enough to have seen us win everything multiple times over and ultimately a United manager will always be judged on how many trophies he delivers so nobody can really question that Jose has been the most successful.

Like I said though its what you want from all this, and speaking from a personal perspective I'd become very blasé about this club during LVG and Jose's time here. The football wasn't enjoyable, I couldn't really identify with the team and I didn't like the managers - particularly Jose who should have been sacked the morning after the Sevilla post-match interview. The fact that he wasn't was depressing. I'd been raised on a manager that clearly lived for the club and that's more important to me than many other things. I still never missed a game of course but I'd stopped going to Old Trafford.

Ole changed that. Yes being a former player helped but that wasn't the half of it. He bleeds United and expects nothing less from the players too. I like this team. I like what we are trying to do here. People are too quick to throw accusations of sentiment at Ole-backers, and maybe that is true for some, but it also belittles the progress that he has made as manager. One final defeat doesn't change that. I've always been prepared to say his time is up when it feels like we've peaked, but I don't feel that way at all. Even if he doesn't get much further than this, failing at doing something the right way is better at succeeding the wrong way.

This clubs identity is the best thing about it by far and Ole gets that. Its a shame that so many of you don't.
And that's the simple reason for which I will always rate even LvG above Mourinho for their time at Unnited.

Fully Fledged

Many here, me included, believe we lost much earlier. If we went out on penalties and we could say Ole did all he could to win, it's a different story. We went out on penalties mainly because Ole didn't have a plan for the game and found himself clueless in a situation where we needed his sharp and accurate decisions most. Not for the first time, too. Our football surely improved in a non-stressful situations, we are better cruising through the league and managed to turn some of the draws into wins, you have to give it to Ole. When it comes to matches that really matter, be it final games of our CL group stage this year or latter stages of cups, we are completely unreliable. Going into Leicester or Villarreal game lately I was only wondering if we again manage to bottle it, and we did. This is a major problem IMO
We lost on a penalty taken by a goalkeeper.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
How low is the bar though?
I think if Mourinho had resigned or been sacked after the 2nd season when we came 2nd in the league and cup then he would comfortably be the best post SAF, but those few months of negativity and toxicity before he was sacked cloud anything he achieved.
Actually just checked and his win % at United is only just behind SAF and well above anyone else despite that 3rd season.
Just goes to show if he hadnt spat his dummy and brought all that negativity he would of been seen in a much better light
Anyway Im happy to give Ole another season and try and set the record straight

Last edited:

Foxbatt

Jose obviously won more. I mean at this moment in time Ole has won nothing. Even LVG has won a Cup. But Jose became toxic later and needed to go. LVG was an enigma. He tried to get to play good football but then it became so boring. I have seen his earlier teams and that's why its so puzzling to see his United. I always felt that he needed a playmaker like Litmanen and tried to get Rooney into that role and failed. I also feel (even then) that forcing him to get Giggs as his assistant was going to backfire and it did.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

Refreshing and how I feel/felt about it all too.

then right below we have another shit post

redmanx

He didn't get players which he wanted for his style. But he was through and through United manager. Attacking style, promoting youth, tactically one of the best in the world. He was the one who should have got "full backing" and third season
As hes shown at every club hes managed Mourinho very rarely lasts longer than 2 years; in fact he only lasted more than 2 years at 2 clubs, Chelsea 2004/7 and Real 2010/13 and on both occassions he lasted less than 3 full years. I had hoped that at United he might find his "home" and take us back to the top for a number of years. I was delighted with his appointment but even before his second season was halfway done it was clear he wasnt the right man for the job and his best days were behind him, as Spurs recently found out to their cost. Starting with Porto in 2002 Mourinho was like a shooting star for about 10/12 years, a serial winner with Porto, Chelsea, Inter, Real and Chelsea again but by the time he took over at United his star was waning, and it soon became clear his style of football, tactics and management was outdated and no longer guaranteed success. Without doubt he was one of the greatest managers the game ever saw and as "The Special One" was great for the PL and football in general but, like a shooting star, his burn out was quick and sadly inevitable.

el3mel

No. We lost once the ET started. We were shit after this because of Ole's terrible management of the subs. Villareal looked the better and more refreshed team during the last 30 minutes. This is on our management.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Not a better job, but better result. Moyes obviously failed to win the 4 big trophies he could have won, but got the Shield at least. Ole has failed to win 11 titles possible that we could have won. So yes it is obvious that Ole has failed more, but Moyes certainly deserved the sack. Ole did not deserve the job in the first place too.
What a mess :lol:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

Well said.

Ludens the Red

Out of interest, can you elaborate on this further. In terms of doing things the “right way”. What does that entail? And what did Lvg, Moyes and Mourinho do that didn’t fit into the “right way”.
And what is our clubs identity? And again? What are the differences between what Ole has been doing compared to what the other three were doing?

Craig Ward

Jose was a terrible appointment and it went the way we all knew it would.

Predictable tactics, bore football. Scrap your way to a cup win, go on a downward slope annoy everything and get fired in a blaze of glory.

Absolutely awful appointment. Out worst appointment by some distance for me.

Moyes wasn't really afforded a chance, LVG did have a plan but it didnt work out, Jose stunk the place out and Ole is still trying to transition the squad inherited from the last 4 managers.

Ole is the only manager I can see a long term plan with. Trophies have been lacking but we are on the up for sure. Look at the squad Ole had and compare it to where we are now. Top job being done.

Jose set us back so much - horrendous time for our club

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Ole by far the best in building the team, getting us to play consistently well while keeping good atmosphere. Not even close. He's the only one that you actually feel comfortable with long term (unless you are insane and expected him to start winning league and CL already).

Fully Fledged

No. We lost once the ET started. We were shit after this because of Ole's terrible management of the subs. Villareal looked the better and more refreshed team during the last 30 minutes. This is on our management.

You can bold it as many times as you want buddy, it doesn't take away from what those people are saying.

It's still Mourinho for now, but he was a Grade-A prick and I fully agree with whoever said he should have been sacked the morning after Sevilla.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
1000% he won medals with Fellaini. Ole would get relegated if he has him as an option.
What a pile of bullcrap. Jose had Fellaini because he fecking loved Fellaini. Did you even watch how he was always praising him?

Jose was an absolute disaster for us. We are not Chelsea-style club that is going through managers every year and turns the squad over every two years. Jose winning FA Cup and Europa League (neither of those good enough for a massive club like ours) is NOTHING. These are bullshit trophies. LvG won FA Cup and he was sacked the next morning. Most Clubs of our size have never won Europa League because they usually don't play in that second-grade competition.

But on the flip side of the coin, Jose completely destroyed the squad. Spent ton of money and left us with the worst squad we ever had. We had to do a complete rebuild after him. He was a disaster.

Last edited:

Fully Fledged

You can bold it as many times as you want buddy, it doesn't take away from what those people are saying.

It's still Mourinho for now, but he was a Grade-A prick and I fully agree with whoever said he should have been sacked the morning after Sevilla.
I didn't bold. I just reposted a bolded section of my post that someone else bolded. What I reposted was a fact is a fact now and will always be a fact.
No matter how much people don't like it. If DDG had scored his pen and their Goalkeeper hadn't we would have won.

el3mel

Keep telling yourself that to feel better about a shit loss against a 7th placed La Liga side who did feck all the whole match except defending for their lives.

Manchester United couldn't defeat such side in 120 minutes but we're expecting this side to challenge for the big trophies. Makes fecking sense I guess.

I didn't bold. I just reposted a bolded section of my post that someone else bolded. What I reposted was a fact is a fact now and will always be a fact.
No matter how much people don't like it. If DDG had scored his pen and their Goalkeeper hadn't we would have won.
But even if that had happened and we'd sneaked it on penalties, it would still have been a shambles of a performance. That's what they're saying.

Fully Fledged

Keep telling yourself that to feel better about a shit loss against a 7th placed La Liga side who did feck all the whole match except defending for their lives.

Manchester United couldn't defeat such side in 120 minutes but we're expecting this side to challenge for the big trophies. Makes fecking sense I guess.
No we couldn't and Man City couldn't defeat West Brom back in December. Anybody can get a result against anybody in a one off game. It's football. If it wasn't as unpredictable as it is we wouldn't love it as much as we do.

Raveneye

You can belittle as much as you want buddy, it doesn't take away from the fact that it's exactly what happened.

Like, I'd readily agree Solksjaer made mistakes that probably costed us victory, but fact remains we looked more likely to win and lost in a lengthy penalty shootout.

No manager who totally loses the dressing room can be considered our best manager post-Fergie. Even Ole-outers could at least pick Van Gaal, who stubborn and wasteful as he was did at least try to do interesting things.

Irwin99

Judged on trophy success, points total, number of cup finals, sadly he was/is the best.

I liked LVG the most though, despite his flaws. He had a plan and a vision of his style of football that was his own, won arguably the best trophy of the post Fergie era (certainly the competition we have the most history in) and I really liked him as a person. Shame the football was mostly crap but that's the same for all managers of the post SAF era.

el3mel

No we couldn't and Man City couldn't defeat West Brom back in December. Anybody can get a result against anybody in a one off game. It's football. If it wasn't as unpredictable as it is we wouldn't love it as much as we do.
This would have been fine if it was actually a one off game and not a series of bottling jobs we have been seeing in literally every cup competition last few years, and even in the last league season once we went up top.

We have been shit in every one off crucial game whenever we're close to win something last 3 years. This isn't Villareal game only.

Fully Fledged

You can belittle as much as you want buddy, it doesn't take away from the fact that it's exactly what happened.

Like, I'd readily agree Solksjaer made mistakes that probably costed us victory, but fact remains we looked more likely to win and lost in a lengthy penalty shootout.

No manager who totally loses the dressing room can be considered our best manager post-Fergie. Even Ole-outers could at least pick Van Gaal, who stubborn and wasteful as he was did at least try to do interesting things.
I totally agree that if we had to go back to a previous manager I would pick LVG over Jose every day. Jose was just toxic.

mu4c_20le

But even if that had happened and we'd sneaked it on penalties, it would still have been a shambles of a performance. That's what they're saying.
Who cares? When Mourinho won it, he barely scraped by the mighty Rostov and Anderlecht.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
No.

The only possibly upside to hiring Maureen was the prospect of him winning something big short-term.

He didn't. He came nowhere close. *

And he (obviously) didn't build a feckin' thing and left us in a sorry enough state after having had a predictable meltdown.

If Ole got the sack tomorrow, the next guy would inherit a better squad than Ole himself inherited from Maureen - easily so. Which is a far more important factor than points totals or second-rate trophies.

* Nor has Ole so far, of course.

tomaldinho1

I feel it is easy to rate them based on trophies and overall quality as managers.

1 Mourinho (3 trophies, 2 CL qualifications)
2 LVG (1 trophy, 1 CL qualification)
3 Moyes (1 trophy)
4 Ole (2 CL qualifcations)
What did Moyes win??

Status
Not open for further replies.