Is Jose Mourinho still our best manager post Fergie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GueRed

So is he?

The last time we picked up silverware was FOUR years ago under Jose.

And will Ole eventually win a trophy next season? or will the drought continue?

pacifictheme

In terms of tropies yes.

In terms of anything else, no.

Feel the squad is in better shape than at any time since the season moyes took over.

Mainoldo

1000% he won medals with Fellaini. Ole would get relegated if he has him as an option.

jackal&hyde

No. Many of the problems with the squad and wage structure happened during his time. We won a couple of cups yes, but we were getting no closer to the title.

dove

The bar is not very high, is it :lol: Moyes, LVG who was basically retired and... Ole. Jose has created a lot of mess but won 2 trophies while doing so which is 2/3 of all our trophies won post SAF... So he probably is our best manager post SAF.

Steve Bruce

Trophies is what the goal is, at least it should be. Jose delivered 2 trophies.

Matt007a

Yes, but as is always the case with Jose it was short lived. It's not so much that he was brilliant in the job, more that the other managers we've had were poor for various different reasons.

Lee565

Mourinho > lvg > ole > moyes.

That is not saying much for any of them though as we had a badly declining Mourinho that was no more a world class manager and has gone on to be sacked by spurs and now had to make do with managing roma.

bsCallout

Look at the Europa run when we won it :lol: we didnt even top a dreadful group.

Oles Europa run was more impressive this year than Mourinhos despite not winning.

Oles FA Cup run this year was more impressive than LVGs despite not winning.

In the cups an easy draw goes a long way. Just look at Chelsea's CL group and first KO tie this year.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If the aim is to win EL & EFL Cup Yes, he achieved them congrats. If the aim is to win the league then we are making better progress under Ole in the league so far unless we are going backward in the league next season then it could change. Personally, I care about the progress we are making in the league not in EFL or EL because I want us to lift that league trophy again.

KeanoMagicHat

Please don't venerate that guy, as if his ego needs it. Ole has done a better job overall so far, even with a rookie CV and brought back some positivity to the club, getting away from the toxicity of that man. Managerial ability then Mourinho is the best. But in the league he was 6th, 2nd and left when we were 6th, after spending loads of money. Ole has been 3rd and 2nd in his two full seasons here. I'd rather have any of the other 3 managers than Mourinho again.

Zlatattack

The football was dire. Yes we won some silverware but honestly if it meant watching that United side or no trophies, i'd rather have no trophies.

justsomebloke

No he isn't, even purely on immediate results. I'll take 3rd and 2nd in PL over 6th and 2nd + EL and CC every time. To say nothing of Ole's results + obviously heading in the right direction over Jose's results + just about to crash and burn.

Harold_Giles

1000% he won medals with Fellaini. Ole would get relegated if he has him as an option.
Surprised to see a ridiculous comment about Ole coming from you.

To answer the OP.
He got us 2 trophies, not the big ones though.
Sucked the joy out of players and majority of fans while doing so.
Very happy we got rid.

GueRed

Please don't venerate that guy, as if his ego needs it. Ole has done a better job overall so far, even with a rookie CV and brought back some positivity to the club, getting away from the toxicity of that man. Managerial ability then Mourinho is the best. But in the league he was 6th, 2nd and left when we were 6th, after spending loads of money. Ole has been 3rd and 2nd in his two full seasons here. I'd rather have any of the other 3 managers than Mourinho again.
Is he on here? :)

MU655

Definitely.

- Won the Europa League
- Won the League Cup
- Reached FA Cup Final
- Reached Champions League Quarter finals
- 2nd place in Premier League and highest points total
- Despite being more defensive, it took a 9-0 victory over Southampton to score more goals this season (we scored 5 more this season)
- Best defensive record by far

GueRed

The football was dire. Yes we won some silverware but honestly if it meant watching that United side or no trophies, i'd rather have no trophies.
Interesting.

I'd rather prefer to watch my team win than lose.

The Hilton

He won a couple of trophies for us, at the expense of the league, and got us to 2nd, at the expense of the next few years.

His short term approach did a huge amount of damage, and it's a big reason why we're still rebuilding to be able to challenge again.

Bigbusdutz

Jose had to win Europa League to qualify for the Champions League so put all eggs in one basket.

Ole got second whilst steering to a Europa League final. Ole done a better job

KeanoMagicHat

Definitely.

- Won the Europa League
- Won the League Cup
- Reached FA Cup Final
- Despite being more defensive, it took a 9-0 victory over Southampton to score more goals this season (we scored 5 more this season)
They didn't, lost in the last 16. Ole and Moyes did though.

OleBoiii

It depends.

If Ole collapses like Mourinho did next season and is sacked in December: yeah, Mourinho probably edges it slightly simply because he won 2 minor trophies. If Ole was sacked tomorrow in order to make room for Zidane or something crazy like that, then I'd rate Ole's tenure higher because he never collapsed or finished outside the top 4 after a full season. He would also leave a much healthier squad behind him than any of his predecessors.

Overall I'd therefore say that Ole is the best manager post Fergie.

Manny

Grammar Police
:lol: If the Europa league is the height of your ambition, yeah sure.

Born2Lose

I think it shows the goldfish thinking of a lot of today's fans.

He won some trophies but did little for the club long term, Bailly, Lindelof, Matic and Fred among others were expensive mistakes.

Ole's revitalised McT's career after Mourinho threw him under a bus and Greenwood's firmly establishing him in the first team. Luke Shaw's become arguably the best LB in the league.

bsCallout

Definitely.

- Won the Europa League
- Won the League Cup
- Reached FA Cup Final
Mourinhos EL - Second in a group with Fenerbache, Feyenord, Zorya. Then beat St Etienne, Rostov, Anderlecht, Celta Vigo, Ajax.

In his CL group it was Moscow, Basel, Benfica then went out to Sevilla with a draw and a loss.

Comparatively

Oles Europa Run - Beat PSG, Leipzig, Granada, AC Milan, Sociedad, Roma lost to Villarreal.

First season topped the group with AZ, Partizan, Astana then beat Brugge, Lask, Copenhagen. Losing to Sevilla 2-1(in a game we dominated).

In CL beat PSG in the quarters.

Looking at both their runs, Ole has beaten much better teams in Europe including in knockout rounds than Mourinho did.

The draw was very kind to Mourinho as is often the case with winners.

In the FA Cup this season we beat Liverpool and West Ham, going out to the winners. Mourinho beat Brighton & Tottenham to reach his final that he lost to Chelsea.

In Mourinhos first season we finished 6th.
In Oles first full season we finished 4th.
Both got 2nd in their 2nd season.

Manny

Grammar Police
This is funny because Fellaini did more to cover Jose's shortcomings than any other player

Status
Not open for further replies.