Is Lingard as good as gone? | Contract extended by one year

lex talionis

Cut Jesse loose as soon as we can and don't hold out for some ridiculous fee.

united for life

Read today that he is demanding game time or else he'd want to leave. It's a shame how his career at united went down hill but I don't think he has a future at the club.
It would be better for him if he goes to a team where he can be a regular starter and where he may be able to regain his good form.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Why did we give him a new contract? Why the tell did we give Jones a new contract? Does anyone actually know of a potentially logical reason?

Castia

Why did we give him a new contract? Why the tell did we give Jones a new contract? Does anyone actually know of a potentially logical reason?
I don’t think we did? Lingard’s contract expires in the summer

there was nothing wrong with the contract we gave Lingard.

Rojo, Jones and Bailly are different matters completely.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
he has to lower his wage demands then if he wants to play football.

It's been said many time but giving him a new contract was a terrible decision by the club.
And to think people on here were defending his contract extension when it was so fecking obvious even back then that he didn't deserve it.

Plymouth Red

I rationalised it as a way of preserving value as potential buyers would see he wasn’t able to leave on a free shortly.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
he has to lower his wage demands then if he wants to play football.

It's been said many time but giving him a new contract was a terrible decision by the club.
Does he though? Nobody will pay him anywhere near what he gets at Utd

Ibi Dreams

I expect him to leave, doesn't seem the type to sit around for wages when he could be playing elsewhere. He's obviously not an important or even necessary member of the squad anymore. Had a decent run to be fair, some good moments for him but it's best for everyone if he moves on

matt23

Im pretty sure his contract situation at Lynx deodorant is in a similar mess.
CEO's everywhere wondering who the feck Mr J Lingard is on their salary sheets..

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I rationalised it as a way of preserving value as potential buyers would see he wasn’t able to leave on a free shortly.
Yep same but how can we rationalise Jones there? He signed a contract literally last year ffs.

stevoc

Read today that he is demanding game time or else he'd want to leave. It's a shame how his career at united went down hill but I don't think he has a future at the club.
It would be better for him if he goes to a team where he can be a regular starter and where he may be able to regain his good form.
No doubt the club will be very anxious about his ultimatum.

KD6-3.7

P
Others say that is was to protect their sale value. In my opinion it was seen as a cheaper solution to letting them leave on a free because no one will pay a fee on top of their absurd wages and then having to sign a replacement.

Plymouth Red

Yep same but how can we rationalise Jones there? He signed a contract literally last year ffs.
I suspect wages are too rich for anyone else, bearing in mind his fragility. Also has an inherent problem when it comes to image rights.

Jonesno.8

I think he is as good as gone come summer and while as a player maybe not that sad. Is he possibly the last player in the squad to have started as a reserve (preseason) under Ferguson??

Bwuk

I think he is as good as gone come summer and while as a player maybe not that sad. Is he possibly the last player in the squad to have started as a reserve (preseason) under Ferguson??
Yeah, him and Pogba would be the only two!

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He is probably the player in the PL at the moment who has created the best possible career vs their actual talent as a footballer.

It’s insane that he is still a Man Utd player on 100k. He has definitely maximized what he could have gotten out of football undoubtedly.

He could probably swing a 3-4 year contract as West Ham or Newcastle off the back of being a United player.

Fair play to him. He isn’t a PL standard quality of footballer but has played over 150 games for United and went to World Cup while earning millions.

Its a great result for him.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Cheeky twat demanding anything! He should be grateful we've not demended his wages back!

meamth

Of course. Any decent brain fans will at least understood that, but criticizing the club is more fun, Obviously.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I wish Mr. Woodward didn't have a decent brain when negotiating that new contract last time.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He’s a youngster, he’ll develop as he matures.
EXACTLY!
You guys are expecting too much from him too soon.
In 10 years, when Jessie enters his prime, he will be fantastic and running our attacks.
I'd pay him £200k/week now, because this investment will pay out in 10 years.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Well that didn't work out well.
It's going to cost more to pay him wages for not playing, than had he been allowed to leave on a free (and then not playing).