Is Lingard as good as gone? | Contract extended by one year

r0663664

Worships Man City
I actually can't believe lingard is still around. Never ever rated him, I dont know what is his role. When Alex first started him, I thought he could be our new no. 7, sort of right midfield/winger. Had a great pre-season and got injure then didn't see him again for 1 whole season. How is he ever be in our XI?! Alex always has 1-2 such players in his squad. Fletcher is another. Just weird.

Jaxa

I see a move to a club like Brighton happening or someone like Fulham, I think Jese has a lot to offer a club, has some great ability but I think he needs a fresh start elsewhere.

Lentwood

I don't know why he is still at the club

Fair play to Ole because he's making it abundantly clear to the Board that there is no point keeping players as 'assets' because he just won't play them.

The likes of Rojo, Jones and Lingard have been totally frozen out, so it's a clear message to the Board - accept an offer or pay them to do nothing

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Fair play to him. He isn’t a PL standard quality of footballer but has played over 150 games for United and went to World Cup while earning millions.

Its a great result for him.
Harsh judgement. Someone like James or Williams probably aren’t PL standard, and they actually get a bit of game time for us, Lingard could easily be a starter for a midtable team & would be a star player for a side like Fulham, Burnley, Sheffield etc. He’s definitely PL standard, just nowhere near United standard.

He’s earned all of his England caps solely because he’s a United player though, that I agree on.

Matthew84!

He's free to leave at the end of the season but may leave early if he wants to actually play, someone mentioned Brighton, that's a good call, I throw him at Inter Milan,

roseguy64

He's only an England international because the manager is an idiot.
No. He was genuinely good when he was getting England appearances and also when he got the new contract.

Rojo and Jones are the only questionable contract renewals recently.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Even Ronaldo’s hand on head touch didn’t do the trick.
This reminds me of that Kevin Durant movie where he touches a random fan and their abilities are swapped. Come to think of it that's what's happening in this pic too. Ronaldo became unstoppable after this while Jesse has been cursed ever since.

Kaos

If he wants the same wages then he's better off going to Turkey or China. No British club will play him anywhere near what he's currently on.

Based Adnan

> Extend deal to get a transfer fee
> No one is willing to pay fee + match wages
> Player stays for the duration of the contract then leaves for free

Just let him go ffs

stevoc

Not surprised the club want to trigger his optional year they do it with every player after all. The bean counters think it increases the value of a player and it does but only if the player is A, any good and B, another club actually want to buy them. And as we found out with Darmian that isn't always the case.

Herschel Krustofsky

Supports
Balanced perspectives

Just let him go ffs
Rotten if true.

Either someone on the inside is dipping or its a complex money-laundering scam

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Just let him go ffs
This. We never learn from our mistakes.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If he wants the same wages then he's better off going to Turkey or China. No British club will play him anywhere near what he's currently on.
You say that but I'm sure the likes of Mark Noble are on about 60k so you'd be surprised what the mug punter teams in this league are capable of!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not surprised the club want to trigger his optional year they do it with every player after all. The bean counters think it increases the value of a player and it does but only if the player is A, any good and B, another club actually want to buy them. And as we found out with Darmian that isn't always the case.
If it's a single optional year then it's no real issue at all.

If it's a Jonesy style 4-5 year job then it is utterly ludicrous.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
An early Christmas present for us all :drool:

The paper they quoted said we're planning on triggering the year extension in his contract. Which is pointless anyway, the amount we'll lose on wages in that year will negate any value received in a fee.

stevoc

If it's a single optional year then it's no real issue at all.

If it's a Jonesy style 4-5 year job then it is utterly ludicrous.
It'll just be an extra year.

If it was for 4-5 i'd be very surprised given how Solskjaer's frozen him out and i'd also give up all hope.

lex talionis

Idiotic to take up the option. Just cut our losses and carry on, as a proper football club should in this situation.

EngimaMK

For fecks sake... When will we learn. There is NO preserving value in a player that has no value. You just end up spunking millions on their wages. Better off letting him go on a free. Nobody will pay much for him. Just sell to the first bidder.

Dolf

That's another 4,8 mill in wages but if we can sell him for 5 then we got Lingard for another year incase we need him and we'll break even financially. So doesn't seem that crazy.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I could see why it's so hard to find a buyer for him. There are worse players in the league than Lingard and Jones but only a few of them are meme legends. In the case of Lingard if you are the buyer, how would you announce his transfer? bringing a meme legend (not in a Zlatan way but in a shit player's way) into your club.. maybe it's not worth it. Why not find foreign players that have the same ability as Lingard instead? less salary, less memes, more chance to resell the player should he fail. Memes could ruin your career and limit your options, it happened.

Last edited:

SamVimes

Why do this? I am absolutely certain that in the background they have been trying to offload him and there has just been no takers. Taking up wages and a squad position.

hobbers

It's just proof of what people were saying all along, he's nowhere near good enough for any half decent team. He's probably deluded himself into thinking he belongs in a side with title aspirations in one of the major leagues, which is why he hired Raiola as his agent, but the reality is that even the relegation candidates dont want him because of his salary demands.

stubie

PSG are ruthless enough to sack a successful manager while we offer a player a new contract who hasn’t kicked a ball this season.

Someone at the club needs fecking with a sharp stick for these decisions

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Its hard to see how this is good business. Whats he got, 2 goals since his purple patch at the end of the 2018? 3 maybe? He then went on to do nothing of any worth in any other area of the pitch. So much so that Ole has given him a sniff of first team football all season. Why would you extend his contract even a week never mind a year? Maybe I could see it if there was demand for him, but there isnt. No one has ever come in for jlingz. And even if they did, no one is giving him 100k for what he brings to the table currently.

So much for being tough and getting rid of the deadwood.

AltiUn

Its hard to see how this is good business. Whats he got, 2 goals since his purple patch at the end of the 2018? 3 maybe? He then went on to do nothing of any worth in any other area of the pitch. So much so that Ole has given him a sniff of first team football all season. Why would you extend his contract even a week never mind a year? Maybe I could see it if there was demand for him, but there isnt. No one has ever come in for jlingz. And even if they did, no one is giving him 100k for what he brings to the table currently.

So much for being tough and getting rid of the deadwood.
The story did come from the Mail so I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

AltiUn

PSG are ruthless enough to sack a successful manager while we offer a player a new contract who hasn’t kicked a ball this season.

Someone at the club needs fecking with a sharp stick for these decisions
He really hasn't been a successful manager, that's why they're sacking him. He's done the bare minimum expected of a PSG manager.