Is Lingard as good as gone? | Contract extended by one year

Lingard needs to reinvent himself as a player.

Also needs to dramatically decrease his focus on anything non-football.

Lastly, he may end up as a has-been very quickly, so he needs to reorganize his finances because it could be that it's all down from here.
Tbh he should just go to mls, get a decent salary and see out his days in the sun. I'm sure Becks would give him a game at Miami

hobbers

No clubs from lower down the table want Lingard because their scouts aren't deluded.

They watch Lingard play against Watford, say, and compare his performance with the 50 or so other players in similar positions who play against Watford in the championship, almost all of whom do a better job than Lingard did. Why would you then try and sign someone on £100k a week, who is deluded about his own level of ability and what level of club he 'belongs' at in any case, when you can sign one of those guys who are on a fraction of those wages?

Matt851

He is supposed to be at his peak, it seems there are no takers for him at the moment. Find it strange considering he would improve the likes of West Ham or the like.

I would like to see him in the PL.
He really wouldnt improve west ham though, they have bowen, antonio, benrahma, lanzini all orobably on a much smaller salary than lingard. Why would they want a player whose only quakity is being able to run round a bit? His level is relegation contenders

redmanx

You could see his career was going in this direction for a long time.

I never understood the logic of spending so much energy on a clothing line and social media presence, when the success of those two things will generally come down to how good you are on the pitch. It feels like he gave those priority, lost his way in football, now has blown his chance with the first time, which will inevitably mean his clothing line and social media presence will fail.

Who are the people around him? Why didn't they give him better advice? Where was his agent?

It's a pity because at one point he looked like he was going to be a great player.
Lingard was, not that long ago, on line to becoming a really good player but somehow he managed to throw it all away, why, who really knows? Its clear he became obsessed with social media; obsessed might be too strong a word but he certainly had/has a preoccupation with it. Did it interfere with his football and demeanour as a player? What ever the answer its a pity both for him and Manchester United. I wish him well in his next club.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Lingard was, not that long ago, on line to becoming a really good player but somehow he managed to throw it all away, why, who really knows? Its clear he became obsessed with social media; obsessed might be too strong a word but he certainly had/has a preoccupation with it. Did it interfere with his football and demeanour as a player? What ever the answer its a pity both for him and Manchester United. I wish him well in his next club.
Exactly, no hard feelings Jesse. Just wasn't good enough in the end. Still a solid midtable PL player. Can give you a 6/7 out of ten performance in 3/4 positions.

Alemar

If there is going to be a Jesse Lingard exit, it won't be smooth.
  • United don't want to let Lingard leave for another PL/EL rival.
  • Lingard frustrated at the lack of playing time and the prospect of missing out on Euro 2020.
Sounds strange.
1. United doesn’t want to weaken a rival?
2. Lingard won’t be playing Euro anyway

SAFMUTD

Ole granted him a full season to book himself up. He couldnt, someone elses turn
I agree, Im not making excuses for him, he got plenty of chances even more than he deserved and wasted them. All Im saying is he is in a though spot right now I dont see any other way for him besides leaving.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Why would the club not want Lingard go to another club ? It's not like we expect him to hurt us do we know ?
I think this goes back to Ole still valuing him as a squad member even if he doesn't play him much, similar to Mourinho with Alli. Still, I see no point in keeping someone who'd play up to 5 matches this season at best. He really doesn't add anything much to the current squad, anyways.

Alemar

I think this goes back to Ole still valuing him as a squad member even if he doesn't play him much,
Wouldn’t Ole value additional transfer funds from his sale more? Even if it’s just 7-8m, they can be used for future transfers

Trequarista10

I might have posted this before but I think he'd do well in certain teams with certain setups. Problem for Jesse is he's nowhere near creative or productive enough to be a number 10, and also isn't suited to playing as a proper winger or as a centre midfielder.

Basically, Jesse would do okay in a midfield 4 playing as an wide midfielder drifting inside. He'd probably do well at Southampton for example, who are a good side but you couldn't argue their wide midfielders are individually great or on another level to Jesse.

Doracle

If there is going to be a Jesse Lingard exit, it won't be smooth. In Matt Law's recent article about Dele Alli, the final paragraph revealed a couple of details on Jesse Lingard's situation.
  • United don't want to let Lingard leave for another PL/EL rival.
  • Lingard frustrated at the lack of playing time and the prospect of missing out on Euro 2020.
So Lingard wants to leave, but he wants to go to bigger and better clubs (hence why he worked with Raiola for a bit). United, however, don't want to let him go to clubs that'll rival them for the PL (title, top 4) & EL. So far, I haven't found any solid stories on clubs outside of a relegation battle but aren't rivalling us that are interested in Lingard, so his options, at the moment, are slim to none.
Good marketing this. We’re:

(a) giving the impression that the only reason that he isn’t off to Liverpool or City is because we wouldn’t want to sell him to them; and

(b) reminding everyone that Jesse is a full England international, even though he has no chance of being in the Euro 2021 squad.

Brad2020

I would like to see him sold to lighten up the United's salary, and to get some money for him to put towards future transfers while he is still valuable.

Tallis

If someone can take Sanchez and Young off our hands, then I am confident there is a club that will want Jesse.

PieCrust

Tbh he should just go to mls, get a decent salary and see out his days in the sun. I'm sure Becks would give him a game at Miami
There's no club in MLS that is going to want Jesse Lingard as a designated player. Outside the DP category, an MLS salary will be FAR below anything he could make by staying either in the Championship or EPL. He wouldn't even be a top player in MLS and he has zero name or brand recogniztion in the US.

Bondi77

I just cannot see any other PL side wanting him with the form he has displayed since the last World Cup.

arthurka

There's no club in MLS that is going to want Jesse Lingard as a designated player. Outside the DP category, an MLS salary will be FAR below anything he could make by staying either in the Championship or EPL. He wouldn't even be a top player in MLS and he has zero name or brand recogniztion in the US.
If they want somebody who could dance and design or even sing they would go for Pharrell.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I just cannot see any other PL side wanting him with the form he has displayed since the last World Cup.
He'd still walk into the mid/lower table teams, I think he'd actually do alright away from United.

It's clear he needs a change and a fresh challenge, he's too comfortable here. He still has the body he's just forgotten how to play effectively.

Bondi77

He'd still walk into the mid/lower table teams, I think he'd actually do alright away from United.

It's clear he needs a change and a fresh challenge, he's too comfortable here. He still has the body he's just forgotten how to play effectively.
Do you think he would be a regular for Wolves or Villa?
I cannot see it.

Adam-Utd

I cannot see it.
Yeah I think they'd both happily take him personally.

Even teams below that though like West Ham, Brighton, Palace etc.

agree. Even when playing well, United fans didn’t like him. He’s a good PL level player.

he did well for us when we didn’t have better options. It’s not like he was keeping great players out of the side! It’s not his fault that he’s not better - he’s done very well to make good use of his talent.

someone like West Ham would do well to pick him up.

UmbroDays

People are forgetting that he was a good player in the Moyes/LvG days.

He’s just gone wayward Outside of football and probably hasn’t handled it the best. Unfortunately I think there is no space for him now at United unless he’s willing to perform better and spend time on the bench.

I personally think he should look at France or Germany. Maybe even Spain

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
He's a good player. Not good enough for our first team now but still good. Could use a move.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I cannot see it.
Honestly, I think he'd fit in well at those two clubs. The problem with him being at United is he's become a bit of a meme and coupled with the increased pressure and expectations, he's in quite a bad place at the club.

wolvored

I cant understand Ole wanting to keep him and still after all this time think hes a valuable squad player. Is it misguided loyalty because hes been here since a kid? The fact no one has enquired about buying him should be enough to show his true value.

Adam-Utd

Looking at Palace last night he'd improve them.
In their counter attacking side, a front 4 of Zaha/Lingard/Eze + striker would be pretty decent.

Jesse can still run well and carry the ball, and he's always looked better when running into space.

They actually pay decent wages too so he wouldn't be losing too much if he did, i'm sure he'd rather play than waste his prime on the bench.

Red00012

I think clubs would be interested in loaning him but i think the wages are an issue , I’d be thinking Utd would want up to 50% of his wages covered which would be £50K a week. For a club like Palace , Brighton , Sheff Utd it’s a lot of money which you mightn’t see a return on.

He’s shit around good players how bad will he be around average players ?

drdoityourself

He has been very poor for two seasons now. It's hard to flip a switch and just become the same player again, even then he was a player who showed flashes but was never a consistent performer. For that reason I don't think he'll improve the likes of West Ham and these mid table teams. His biggest quality nowadays is his movement but that movement isn't particularly good, never takes him behind defenses, never even in positions to do anything other than recycle possession with a safe pass to the nearest player.

His high wages and lack of output will make him a big gamble for those clubs. At 28 I just don't see how extending his contract makes sense, I don't see him fitting into a wage structure at a club suited to his talents.

Doracle

That’s the issue - he’s a very big risk currently for any club given his wages and lack of any productivity for 2 years. I think we’ll need to heavily subsidise any wages for a loan for the rest of the season and hope he then performs well. We might then be able to sell him in the Summer.

edit - obviously, I’d have personally not extended because I think the prospects of getting a decent fee are remote, so will be a good test of the club’s “auto-extend” policy for players who aren’t playing regularly.

He could definitely find clubs and have decent money to live on, in a nice city. I didn't say he'd be a star or marquee signing.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
People are forgetting that he was a good player in the Moyes/LvG days.

He’s just gone wayward Outside of football and probably hasn’t handled it the best. Unfortunately I think there is no space for him now at United unless he’s willing to perform better and spend time on the bench.

I personally think he should look at France or Germany. Maybe even Spain
Was on loan in the championship. Started playing regularly for the club in LvG's second season

Nikelesh Reddy

Yeah.We have a much better squad now and I don’t think Lingard adds much value to this squad.Would make sense to move him on next summer..,

hungrywing

Sounds strange.
1. United doesn’t want to weaken a rival?
2. Lingard won’t be playing Euro anyway
Good one. No one seemed to have noticed.

Bloodyhell, Nice have now publically said they're not interested in Lingard...

http://sportwitness.co.uk/without-a...r-united-players-signing-for-club-in-january/
Is anyone surprised.

Implying that he’ll do a job as a backup when he won’t. He adds feck all to this team. Currently he is a way overpaid mascot.

He's paid more than Vidic, Evra, Scholes and Giggs were. Sure, inflation, but still. #Judgewardthings