Is Lingard as good as gone? | Contract extended by one year

I'm just a bit gutted that a homegrown player that I rooted for and looked like he was coming good at one point, ultimately turned to fecking shite :(
For all the unnecessary grief he gets, people should remember he won the FA Cup for United. Few footballers anywhere ever reach a career pinnacle like that. In years to come that's what he'll be remembered fondly for.

forevrared

I'm just a bit gutted that a homegrown player that I rooted for and looked like he was coming good at one point, ultimately turned to fecking shite :(
Following in the footsteps of Welbeck, Cleverley, Evans, etc. For what it's worth, I'm glad we at least gave them every chance to make it.

roseguy64

People really do not pay attention. He's not been playing because he's not been fit. Not because Ole suddenly dislikes him.

tenpoless

I dare you to find a better player whose last name starts with L and ends with D, who is also a Mancunian. World Class. That's why Ole loves him. Ole's warning to him was a love letter from father to son

"on your last chance"
actually means
"dear son, we have been through this together and i know you are not having an easy time so i say this to make you feel motivated but if you ever score just one more goal then you will be good again, you are always world class in my eyes"

Last edited:

Fluctuation0161

For all the unnecessary grief he gets, people should remember he won the FA Cup for United. Few footballers anywhere ever reach a career pinnacle like that. In years to come that's what he'll be remembered fondly for.
He scored the winning goal in a final. Great achievement, but it is not like he singlehandedly won the cup for United, Ronaldo style! :lol:

El Zoido

Great moment, and a good goal too. But I really don’t think that’s what he’ll be remembered for. We won’t forget it of course, but I think he’ll mostly be remembered for being a bit shit.

led_scholes

Are people still talikng about scoring a goal vs Crystal Palace 5 years ago? Mkhitaryan scored in a European Final and he was instrumental in that run, however most people were happy when he left and I don't remember many posters defending him with the final narrative.

Siorac

To be fair to him Matic is quite physical. In his prime he put himself about a lot. He's just old now.
The man is 32 and we've been calling him old, someone whose games need to be managed to protect his legs, for a couple of years now.

I think he's just never been particularly mobile.

Siorac

I dare you to find a better player whose last name starts with L and ends with D, who is also a Mancunian. World Class. That's why Ole loves him. Ole's warning to him was a love letter from father to son

"on your last chance"
actually means
"dear son, we have been through this together and i know you are not having an easy time so i say this to make you feel motivated but if you ever score just one more goal then you will be good again, you are always world class in my eyes"
He's from Cheshire though.

Great moment, and a good goal too. But I really don’t think that’s what he’ll be remembered for. We won’t forget it of course, but I think he’ll mostly be remembered for being a bit shit.
With time the hysteria just fades away to nothing. He'll be remembered for the high points in the long run.

For example, Diego Forlan. He was truly shit, an embarrassing spell at United. Ridiculed up and down the land. Nowadays if mentioned it's just for two scrappy goals at Anfield and most of the rest forgotten.

The vast majority of people don't spend time thinking about players that much and aren't arguing on forums about them.

The wider fan perspective is always much broader than the narrow black and white debates online.

He scored the winning goal in a final. Great achievement, but it is not like he singlehandedly won the cup for United, Ronaldo style! :lol:
More ridiculous whataboutery....

Lingard won that FA Cup just as much as Ole won the CL for us.

Amazing how people's narrative against a player can blind them so much they'll dismiss a winning cup final goal.

Mainoldo

Hasn’t he got a new YouTube show? I’m sure I seen him with AJ Tracey.

Matthew84!

I think his form was alot to do with him having to look after his family and all that but when he leaves at the end of the season I'll remember him as better than welbeck and cleverly, wish him the best when he leaves

Reactions: golden_blunder

treble_winner

With time the hysteria just fades away to nothing. He'll be remembered for the high points in the long run.

For example, Diego Forlan. He was truly shit, an embarrassing spell at United. Ridiculed up and down the land. Nowadays if mentioned it's just for two scrappy goals at Anfield and most of the rest forgotten.

The vast majority of people don't spend time thinking about players that much and aren't arguing on forums about them.

The wider fan perspective is always much broader than the narrow black and white debates online.
Even if Lingard scores a last minute winning goal for us in the Champions League final this year in Ole-style, I think the CAF has already made up their minds about his image already. I wouldn't mind such a scenario, though. :D

Canuckred64

I suspect Lingard will be like the other players we want to sell, we ask for millions and other teams respond with tuppeny-ha'penny. Don't expect we will be able to offload him unless we accept about half what we want.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I suspect Lingard will be like the other players we want to sell, we ask for millions and other teams respond with tuppeny-ha'penny. Don't expect we will be able to offload him unless we accept about half what we want.
He's clearly going on a free transfer in the summer. Unless we do a Phil Jones...

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Have a horrible feeling we'll extend his contract in a futile attempt to extract some kind of transfer fee for Ed and his bosses.

BFernandes

Goes out on loan.
Impresses in a few games.
We trigger his extension in an attempt to get something for him.
No takers, then stuck with him for another year.

As clear as day.

GenZRed

At least he scored goals in both FA and EFL cup finals, with the FA goal being the winner.

I wish him all the best, assuming he leaves.

Gabagoo

... aaand Lingard is back in the first team squad.

Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Paul Pogba's long term replacement. No, I'm not joking.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Thank God he is back.
Hopefully he'll replace Bruno and get us firing.