Is Lingard as good as gone? | Contract extended by one year

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Makes absolutely no sense with signing VdB and Sancho/Grealish still on our radar while Pellistri knocking on the 1st squad door.

When Amad Diallo will finalise his deal the competition will get even more serious with Mejbri debut on the horizon, sooner or later.

Where or when we will have a slightest chance of playing him anyway... Is Mata leaving ? Don't think so.

lex talionis

That's another 4,8 mill in wages but if we can sell him for 5 then we got Lingard for another year incase we need him and we'll break even financially. So doesn't seem that crazy.
Why would any club give us 5m in transfer fee for Lingard? Yes, there are clubs like Sheffield and West Brom that need some help, but the last thing clubs of that ilk should do is bring on an overhyped head case that has his own brand of merch like Lingard. Top clubs like Chelsea won’t be interested either, as they’ll either buy a quality attacking midfielder or if they’re looking to add depth two or three down from the first team will draw from their academy.

I’m not particularly concerned about the financial hit to the Glazers by this decision, but it is a remarkably stupid decision to pick up the option.

Why would any club give us 5m in transfer fee for Lingard? Yes, there are clubs like Sheffield and West Brom that need some help, but the last thing clubs of that ilk should do is bring on an overhyped head case that has his own brand of merch like Lingard. Top clubs like Chelsea won’t be interested either, as they’ll either buy a quality attacking midfielder or if they’re looking to add depth two or three down from the first team will draw from their academy.

I’m not particularly concerned about the financial hit to the Glazers by this decision, but it is a remarkably stupid decision to pick up the option.
who cares what other clubs would do with a player they buy from us?

Lingard has come to the end of his time with us, but deserves a hell of a lot more respect that the likes of you are giving him.

He came through the academy, he played for the club for a number of years, scored important goals and has always been available.

he’s not a world beater, but he’s a solid PL player. It’s not his fault we failed to have better players than him to play under a number of different managers.

comes Across as very bitter and spiteful.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I could see why it's so hard to find a buyer for him. There are worse players in the league than Lingard and Jones but only a few of them are meme legends. In the case of Lingard if you are the buyer, how would you announce his transfer? bringing a meme legend (not in a Zlatan way but in a shit player's way) into your club.. maybe it's not worth it. Why not find foreign players that have the same ability as Lingard instead? less salary, less memes, more chance to resell the player should he fail. Memes could ruin your career and limit your options, it happened.
Jones and Lingard are different cases in fairness.

Lingard started most of our games at the last world cup for one thing. And this season aside - which I think has also had personal issues involved, he hasn't regularly missed 50-60% of our fixtures injured year in year out. He's scored cup final goals and big goals over his time here. He's a totally different case to Jones, who has either not played or given ludicrous own goals away.

However, clearly the announcement video for the inevitable sale to West Ham or Newcastle will be him screaming BEANS BEANS BEANS

lex talionis

who cares what other clubs would do with a player they buy from us?

Lingard has come to the end of his time with us, but deserves a hell of a lot more respect that the likes of you are giving him.

He came through the academy, he played for the club for a number of years, scored important goals and has always been available.

he’s not a world beater, but he’s a solid PL player. It’s not his fault we failed to have better players than him to play under a number of different managers.

comes Across as very bitter and spiteful.
Perhaps I should apologize but it’s hard to get over the disrespect Lingard showed the club when he launched his own clothing line and ridiculous social media branding, endeavors which diminished his ability to contribute the club, the organization which made his exposure to a global audience possible. Professional athletes have every right to decide what’s important to them, without doubt, but just at the point in time when Lingard seemed able to become an important part of the squad he instead went Jlingz. He let the club down and while I won’t complain about the 100k/week the club pays him for absolutely no contribution to back to the club, it’s insanity to pay him an extra year’s wages in the hope of making it back in transfer fee.

When a United player shifts focus from his responsibilities as a footballer for the club and launches a side business — not a one-off sponsorship of a product, but a full multi-product self-branded line — that player hurts the club and views club supporters as potential customers of his product. This can’t be tolerated.

hobbers

The only possible sense in extending his contract is if you know 100% there's going to be clubs bidding for him in January or in the Summer.

And I mean actual bids, not loan offers.

jasT1981

So, we as per usual extend contract on stupid wages only for the reason we 'could' get more for him.

Then wonder why no one wants to buy Utd 'cast offs' because their offer is too low.

crossy1686

career ending
I can’t imagine this being true unless Lingard is taking a massive pay cut. We’ve been trying to loan him/sell him for a year, he even hired Raiola to try and get a move abroad. Unless the deal is to retain a fee for him and still agree to sell him at the first opportunity?

roseguy64

Perhaps I should apologize but it’s hard to get over the disrespect Lingard showed the club when he launched his own clothing line and ridiculous social media branding, endeavors which diminished his ability to contribute the club, the organization which made his exposure to a global audience possible. Professional athletes have every right to decide what’s important to them, without doubt, but just at the point in time when Lingard seemed able to become an important part of the squad he instead went Jlingz. He let the club down and while I won’t complain about the 100k/week the club pays him for absolutely no contribution to back to the club, it’s insanity to pay him an extra year’s wages in the hope of making it back in transfer fee.

When a United player shifts focus from his responsibilities as a footballer for the club and launches a side business — not a one-off sponsorship of a product, but a full multi-product self-branded line — that player hurts the club and views club supporters as potential customers of his product. This can’t be tolerated.
What the hell are you talking about? He probably devoted the time he was spending playing video games to looking after his business. It had no effect on his football. His family problems and his subsequent loss of confidence on the pitch just had a snowball effect that he hasn't recovered from. The JLingz brand does not/did not let the club down.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I still like him for when Lukaku stood waiting to celebrate with him against Arsenal, and he just ran straight past him to do some weird dance.

cyril C

Since every clubs are running on fume, I don't see cash offer. So might be something like loan for 6 months, cash for X million if we stay in EPL.

hungrywing

I could see why it's so hard to find a buyer for him. There are worse players in the league than Lingard and Jones but only a few of them are meme legends. In the case of Lingard if you are the buyer, how would you announce his transfer? bringing a meme legend (not in a Zlatan way but in a shit player's way) into your club.. maybe it's not worth it. Why not find foreign players that have the same ability as Lingard instead? less salary, less memes, more chance to resell the player should he fail. Memes could ruin your career and limit your options, it happened.
That's a really good point. Once you sign him, there's no way but down in terms of reveal-videos on teh tik-tok. Serious consideration.

PoTMS

Look at how well these pointless contract extensions worked out for us with Jones and (to a lesser degree) Matic. United never fecking learn.

hungrywing

Oh redcafe, never change.

Deep down, Woodward will always want to Woodward, even if it looks like he's not Woodwarding due to all the recent youth signings. (although in theory this could be a shot-across-the-bow to any clubs wanting to sign him 'on a free' this summer. This could be the club trying to do Lingard's camp 'a favor' in return for them promising a move away this summer.)

The only possible sense in extending his contract is if you know 100% there's going to be clubs bidding for him in January or in the Summer.

And I mean actual bids, not loan offers.
Glass half-full. Me likey.

el3mel

Why he's getting an extension? Hell, he doesn't even make the bench in most games. Makes zero sense, what the feck?

devips

Lingard is staying. Those who want to cry, please do so now.

Tallis

The only explanation that makes sense to me is that our admin are doing a favour / looking after a player that has come through the ranks. I suspect they have told him that he could leave but he hasn’t been able to find a club. Rather than being released and having no club (while having dodgy fitness and no match practise), they are going to let tim stick around and release him when a club comes around.

Alemar

Lingard is staying.
In order to do what exactly? His services as a footballer are no longer needed - we have much better squad players and talented youngsters to play his role. Lingard brings zero additional value to the team

Zen86

The old Lingard is actually a decent squad option for us to have, and he was showing glimpses of that in his more recent games.

I hope this contract signifies that he’s actually dedicating himself to his football again, rather than the other bullshit he’s synonymous with.

Posh Red

Maybe he adds some kind of marketing value in terms of younger fans? And when I say younger, I mean children that love YouTube etc

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We are all know why Lingard is getting one, it’s to maintain his value so we can get few pounds, it’s for money not football reason. This is down to Ed or the board decision not Ole. Ole’s decision is football reason, when it’s about money, there is only one person being responsible.

This is where the club has changed since Sir Alex left and Ed got promoted, they now think money alone can make player happy. If we can sell, fine, but clearly the reason why Lingard didn’t leave the club last summer because no clubs want to pay the money. Why the board thinks it’s not the same thing as wasting money to keep paying wages for players who don’t play football and gamble that there will be club who wants to pay the money? I never understand this.

Mindhunter

I noticed after the Everton game that he came onto the field with Ole to congratulate the players. Then while getting off, Ole and him were being very pally with each other, smiling and giggling. Finally Ole gave him a pat on the head before sending him his way. I was really surprised about why Lingard looked to happy when he didn’t even get a sniff? Now I know what was cooking.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So, we as per usual extend contract on stupid wages only for the reason we 'could' get more for him.

Then wonder why no one wants to buy Utd 'cast offs' because their offer is too low.
It must be more an accountancy thing rather than a genuine belief that anyone is suddenly going to storm in with a decent offer. If they were really keen they'd be tapping him up behind the scenes and saying don't sign on and we'll give you even sillier wages when you're a free agent.

They probably still have Jones on the books worth 20m and Lingard could go on as similar.
Then there's probably some sort of knock on that the real financial bods use to leverage against something or other.

Roane

We need to start looking at some of the issues affecting our players and giving them a break.

I've been hearing and reading about his family situation with his mother and siblings and he deserves kudos for taking care of his sister and brother whilst his mum has been receiving treatment.

Ole has also recently come out and said that covid has affected Lingards training and game time. He hasn't had the virus but has had to isolate a few times because of his "bubbles". I'm assuming this is linked with his family situation.

So let's give the lad a break and hope he can sort himself out and come back to be a useful and integral part of the team.

hobbers

Ole has also recently come out and said that covid has affected Lingards training and game time. He hasn't had the virus but has had to isolate a few times because of his "bubbles". I'm assuming this is linked with his family situation.

So let's give the lad a break and hope he can sort himself out and come back to be a useful and integral part of the team.
Just the usual excuses kind managers give players when the reality is they're just not good enough to be considered for selection.

Lingard obviously hired Raiola a year ago precisely because he was told that he didn't have a future at the club. And that hasn't changed, Ole's correctly deemed him not even good enough for our bench.

Roane

Just the usual excuses kind managers give players when the reality is they're just not good enough to be considered for selection.

Lingard obviously hired Raiola a year ago precisely because he was told that he didn't have a future at the club. And that hasn't changed, Ole's correctly deemed him not even good enough for our bench.

It's not always that simple. Fans tend to just look at one side, usually the negative.

Like I said above Jesse has had family issues and it's worth taking those into consideration.

Similarly the Raiola issue had a story to it too. One of the stories was that Jesse was going to be used as part of a deal to get Madison from Leicester. His hiring Raiola was to get a deal abroad.

He has since parted company with Raiola and any negotiations will be by his representatives who are his family.

SmallCaine

It's not always that simple. Fans tend to just look at one side, usually the negative.

Like I said above Jesse has had family issues and it's worth taking those into consideration.

Similarly the Raiola issue had a story to it too. One of the stories was that Jesse was going to be used as part of a deal to get Madison from Leicester. His hiring Raiola was to get a deal abroad.

He has since parted company with Raiola and any negotiations will be by his representatives who are his family.
Found lingard's redcafe account.