Is Lingard as good as gone? | Contract extended by one year

Luke1995

Maybe one day he'll rediscover the good form he showed in the 2017/2018 season.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
To be fair, similar things were said about Ashley Young, and he left us to join Inter last January. The same goes for Darmian in the summer. Whilst we can't rule out anything, I have a feeling that Lingard might be hungrier for first-team football (and a chance to get back into England's lineup) than we think.

Regarding England, especially, with players like Winks and Alli barely getting any football. There's a chance that Lingard can get himself back into contention if he leaves in January.
He isn't gonna leave in January. I don't see it.

I think they're different cases. Bale has won everything at club level and is in his 30's. Lingard has previously stated he's worked hard to fulfil his dream of playing for United and he's not giving up on it anytime soon. Being at United is living the dream for him, whereas Bale just wants a payday.

Lingard hired Raiola to get a move but not even that scumbag could get him something decent, so he's probably been advised to wait out his contract and get a move to a club that want him but aren't willing to splash the cash.
Different cases overall you're right but I just wanted to tell that there are players who are happy to pick up wages. If Lingard had serious ambition, he would have left last summer

crossy1686

career ending

Different cases overall you're right but I just wanted to tell that there are players who are happy to pick up wages. If Lingard had serious ambition, he would have left last summer
I completely agree, but maybe he tried and COVID made it difficult to get the move he wanted, there wasn't exactly a lot of transfers last summer. I don't think any club got the targets they wanted and Lingard would be pretty far down anyone's list. As you said, he still could have forced the issue last summer if he had any personal ambition though.

I'm confident he leaves this summer, or maybe a loan in January with an option to buy.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Not sure what all the fuss is about, the club have extended his contract to allow them more time to find a potential suitor, rather than let him leave on a free when his contract runs out.

It hasn't been done for football reasons. I mean, he's no more likely to play now than he was before the extension. It's just business.

Pearl's a minger

Am I missing something? He doesn't play ,he's unlikely to pay so all this about getting a fee for him isn't likely unless he is loaned out in the meantime. And even if he is loaned he may well end up serving up more dross all the while we get lumbered with the majority of his wages while on loan( best case scenario )or we end up getting him back and his full wage.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
It's not hard to understand, good age still, well capable of scoring & creating a goals, decent number of games for England, and would improve alot teams right now in the premiership, etc.

Lingard has always been an easy target for alot of United fans, but we have alot of other players on the books far more worthly of this imo.
Easy targets are easy for a reason. 19/20 season 1 goal and 0 assists in 29 PL games. 18/19 season 4 goals 2 assists in 29 PL games. 17/18 season 8 goals 5 assists in 37 PL games. 18/17 season 1 goal 2 assists in 32 PL games.

His antics off the field are beside the point. As an attacking player in a front 3 his numbers are atrocious. And all the arguments about running around a lot dont really matter when thats all he has to his game. You can make an argument that there are other players with similar numbers, but they are the likes of Mata. But Matas career is winding down and hes been played out of position since he got here, Lingard is played in position and he should be hitting his peak a year ago and producing his best output right now. But he cant even get a sniff of the first team right now. He cant get into the England team either. And now Im gonna put you on the spot and ask which other PL teams Lingard would improve? Who in these "alot of PL teams" would Lingard displace?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Yeah, the chances are slim, for sure. I don't see many teams really wanting him. Maybe Sheffield United or Brentford, but that's all I can think of. I think he has a better chance afterwards, but again, if he isn't playing much, his value's only going to drop (unless a Conte-like manager/head coach comes in for him).

pascell

Not sure what all the fuss is about, the club have extended his contract to allow them more time to find a potential suitor, rather than let him leave on a free when his contract runs out.

It hasn't been done for football reasons. I mean, he's no more likely to play now than he was before the extension. It's just business.
That's the way I see it too, I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave in January either, even if its on loan with obligation to buy in the summer.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
When people kept on about him going abroad it was baffling.
He has all these well documented family issues, so was never going to uproot them for abroad.

Our board love to do these extensions so the balance sheet looks higher. But to us it seems a little bizarre to say the least.

C'est Moi Cantona

Easy targets are easy for a reason. 19/20 season 1 goal and 0 assists in 29 PL games. 18/19 season 4 goals 2 assists in 29 PL games. 17/18 season 8 goals 5 assists in 37 PL games. 18/17 season 1 goal 2 assists in 32 PL games.

His antics off the field are beside the point. As an attacking player in a front 3 his numbers are atrocious. And all the arguments about running around a lot dont really matter when thats all he has to his game. You can make an argument that there are other players with similar numbers, but they are the likes of Mata. But Matas career is winding down and hes been played out of position since he got here, Lingard is played in position and he should be hitting his peak a year ago and producing his best output right now. But he cant even get a sniff of the first team right now. He cant get into the England team either. And now Im gonna put you on the spot and ask which other PL teams Lingard would improve? Who in these "alot of PL teams" would Lingard displace?

Who would a player who has held down a spot at United, was a starter for England not too long ago, and is still at good age, potentially improve if he can get into some sort of form again? You say it like I need to justify something, but it's not too difficult to imagine it's quite possible.

My main point is that he in no way as bad as some make out, and he has always seemed to be an easy target, now we have extended his contract, most likely for resale value, and the same old nonsense comes out, he's not that bad, in fact at times he's been quite good, and will find a home at decent club hopefully, will probaly find some form again, and United might get a decent fee, he may even come in handy before the end of the season for us at some point yet.

NecssryEvil

Worst news of the year
By far. Historians will review the year 2020 and will argue about the pandemic and the USAs disastrous election, among other things, but that will only be for 2nd place behind this atrocity.

redshaw

Seems like we're spending more millions in wages for a smaller return if any. Should've been off the books already like a few others saving 10s of millions.

Norman Brownbutter

Who would a player who has held down a spot at United, was a starter for England not too long ago, and is still at good age, potentially improve if he can get into some sort of form again? You say it like I need to justify something, but it's not too difficult to imagine it's quite possible.

My main point is that he in no way as bad as some make out, and he has always seemed to be an easy target, now we have extended his contract, most likely for resale value, and the same old nonsense comes out, he's not that bad, in fact at times he's been quite good, and will find a home at decent club hopefully, will probaly find some form again, and United might get a decent fee, he may even come in handy before the end of the season for us at some point yet.
If he’s so good you wouldn’t dodging the question. If he’s so good we would all be seeing it.
I mean, you could just answered the question put to you. Dodging only further puts your opinion in the highly questionable category. So do you wanna take another stab at it?

Djemba-Djemba

People need to stop banging on about his fluke purple patch in 17/18.

It only lasted about 6 or 7 weeks and it was 3 fecking years ago.

He's been absolutely appalling since.

M Bison

Supports
York City
By far. Historians will review the year 2020 and will argue about the pandemic and the USAs disastrous election, among other things, but that will only be for 2nd place behind this atrocity.
Fabulous response :lol:

In a thread full of histrionics and complete utter nonesense, this response to the spoilt brats is the best by far :lol:

Doracle

Have we ever sold a player profitably when we extended the contract by a year? Darmian is the only one I can think of and I think we only got about £1.5 million for him.

EngimaMK

Called this months ago

if Matic can get 3 more years after about 10 good performances in the last 2 seasons and Jones can get a new deal then Jesse was a certainty to be renewed. Yet another curious decision. How are we going to sell him after a renewal when he’s already on too much to sell?
That's such shite. Matic may not be a world beater but he is a solid, class and often integral part of our mid. No way comparable to Lingard or Jones.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Fabulous response :lol:

In a thread full of histrionics and complete utter nonesense, this response to the spoilt brats is the best by far :lol:
Joke's on both of you. It's pretty obvious Elvis was wumming.

C'est Moi Cantona

If he’s so good you wouldn’t dodging the question. If he’s so good we would all be seeing it.
I mean, you could just answered the question put to you. Dodging only further puts your opinion in the highly questionable category. So do you wanna take another stab at it?
I did really if you read between the lines, and l'm not going to make a list the clearly poor clubs currently in the premiership that would take a chance on Lingard just for you, so move on.

roseguy64

Well I would argue that he is PL quality. Certainly not united quality but he would be a starter for most of the bottom half teams, you cant convince me that the likes of Burnley's players or say Hendrick for Newcastle as an example are better than Lingard. Most of those players will never get an England cap whereas Lingard has had a decent international career, scored winner in FA cup final and is only now entering his prime years - that's how the club are viewing this and rightly so.

Also look at the sums Liverpool receive for reserve players. I appreciate the situation is complicated by his wages but £10/15m for Lingard is not outrageous in my view.

The contracts for Jones and Rojo were dumb but not this one.
Agreed. He's got much more value than Rojo and Jones.

The Jones contract was worse than the Rojo one also. At least the latter was a squad player at the time of his injury. Jones was injured as per usual.

EngimaMK

Jesse could be a PL squad player somewhere but nowhere near man utd quality

roseguy64

I can yeah. I have seen it with a much better player in Bale even. The man was ready to go to China just to get paid the same.
If Lingard has ambition, he would have forced a move last summer, even for a lower league team
Why did he hire a new agent then if he was content to not move? Especially one like Mino? Y'all are letting your hate for him cloud your reasoning.

RedChisel

Woodward is an accountant and always will be. The only thing that enters his head is protecting the value of an asset that can make money for his bosses. They will slap an unrealistic price tag on him and he will still be here at the end of his contract and will go for free anyway.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Why did he hire a new agent then if he was content to not move? Especially one like Mino? Y'all are letting your hate for him cloud your reasoning.
He could have hired for that or the possibility to renegotiate his contract. Raiola isn't about players leaving clubs exclusively, he works on contract extensions too you know

Last edited:

Norman Brownbutter

I did really if you read between the lines, and l'm not going to make a list the clearly poor clubs currently in the premiership that would take a chance on Lingard just for you, so move on.
No, you didn’t. I asked what teams and player in those teams lingard displaces. You have no answer other than “this is beneath me”, which a weird stance to take. If you didn’t want to join the conversation it’s pretty weird to enter it. You’re two posts in now trying to avoid supporting your claim that he would improve a lot of PL teams. Just comes across as a weak position. If you’re happy with that, so be it.

C'est Moi Cantona

No, you didn’t. I asked what teams and player in those teams lingard displaces. You have no answer other than “this is beneath me”, which a weird stance to take. If you didn’t want to join the conversation it’s pretty weird to enter it. You’re two posts in now trying to avoid supporting your claim that he would improve a lot of PL teams. Just comes across as a weak position. If you’re happy with that, so be it.
Why would I list teams for you? It's obvious that a Lingard who can find some form again is good enough for alot of prem teams, he is not a Champioship player if that's what you're getting at.

Maybe make a list of teams currently in the bottom half that wouldn't want him to justify your point? Which would obviously be them all, but that can't be the case.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yeah, the chances are slim, for sure. I don't see many teams really wanting him. Maybe Sheffield United or Brentford, but that's all I can think of. I think he has a better chance afterwards, but again, if he isn't playing much, his value's only going to drop (unless a Conte-like manager/head coach comes in for him).
Have you always been a scout or is that recent?

NecssryEvil

Joke's on both of you. It's pretty obvious Elvis was wumming.
I got it, kind of thought my comment was dripping with sarcasm too, I will work on that. @M Bison is right though, from some of the responses you would think that the extension was the worst thing that happened in 2020.

Maybe a mod could add a poll: Was JL’s extension in the top 5 worst things to happen in the world in 2020? Would be interesting, don’t you think?

(That was sarcasm, again).

Norman Brownbutter

Why would I list teams for you? It's obvious that a Lingard who can find some form again is good enough for alot of prem teams, he is not a Champioship player if that's what you're getting at.

Maybe make a list of teams currently in the bottom half that wouldn't want him to justify your point? Which would obviously be them all, but that can't be the case.
I didn’t make any claims, mate. You did. Back it up or don’t, but this attitude isn’t doing you any favours.

davidmichael

It’s clear Lingard has been extended simply to get some sort of a fee in January or most likely the summer, he’s a youth product so whatever we get is a profit anyway.

He’d be a good signing for Newcastle or Southampton or West Ham and even for pretty much any side abroad outside of the top three teams in each of the European leagues i.e La Liga, Serie A and Bundesliga.

I don’t think it’s unrealistic to get £10-£15 million for Lingard as he's 27 years old, an experienced international who’s played in a World Cup and the Champions League so fingers crossed someone takes a punt on him but he’s done at United and not good enough for where we want to be.