Is Lingard as good as gone? | Contract extended by one year

Luke1995

I hope so too. He was impressive then.
Yeah he used to make very good runs from behind into the box and he was scoring some important goals aswell

It seemed like he had turned a corner and his movement and on-the ball decision had improved. Maybe the system Mourinho used him in that improved him.

I don't know why Ole can't get the best out of him

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Why would I list teams for you? It's obvious that a Lingard who can find some form again is good enough for alot of prem teams, he is not a Champioship player if that's what you're getting at.

Maybe make a list of teams currently in the bottom half that wouldn't want him to justify your point? Which would obviously be them all, but that can't be the case.
You say if he can find form, but his last bit of decent form was 7 weeks, 3 years ago, in the current climate who is going to take that kind of gamble, and it is a gamble.in the form he has been in for the last 3 years he improves nobody in the top flight.

roseguy64

He could have hired for that or the possibility to renegotiate his contract. Raiola isn't about players leaving clubs exclusively, he works on contract extensions too you know
A new contract when he barely played? Makes sense. Great leverage. Silly Bruno Fernandes. Should have not played and he'd have already gotten more money already.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
We are 2 injuries away from needing him. Sounds a stretch but this season is fecked.

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Bizarre decision from both the club and the player. I actually think Lingard at his best is a useful player to have in the squad but the guy has 0 appearances in either the PL and CL and hardly ever even makes the bench anymore. Surely he could get himself a move to a Brighton and revive his career.

manutddjw

I don’t see the point at all. We're basically paying someone to do nothing which to me is worse than making a 2 million at best profit in a years time. We literally pissed away millions by keeping Darmian here an extra year (to play 2 games) and not selling Romero this summer. You also have to keep in mind in a years time, clubs still wouldn't have recovered from the effects of COVID and who is going to pay a decent fee for a 28 year old whose been a non entity for a season and a half on high wages?

King Andow

Good. I'm sure he'll be at his best again soon, we'll need him to be there for us for the title challenge, It's a long season. Correct decision.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Have you always been a scout or is that recent?
Did I say something wrong? I just named two clubs off the top of my head. If I wanted to, I could name many more after doing some more research.

EDIT: Oh, the Caf scout. Nah, I recently became one along with two other regulars.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He loves the lifestyle of being a United player, but he has never been good enough. It’s no coincidence that a better team and better performances have come from replacing the likes of Lingard with better players.

I am sure he is perfectly happy to enjoy being a United player and everything that comes with that for the next 18 months.

It was a perfect opportunity to say thanks and let him go and show everyone that things have changed. That United isn’t a place to sit back and be comfortable anymore. Old habits die hard unfortunately.

Amerifan

He peaked a few years ago and won’t find that form again without a decent run of games. Unlikely with our current depth chart.

Since we’re seemingly determined to get something for him, a loan for the rest of the season might improve his value in the market.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Did I say something wrong? I just named two clubs off the top of my head. If I wanted to, I could name many more after doing some more research.

EDIT: Oh, the Caf scout. Nah, I recently became one along with two other regulars.
Haha, yeah I meant the Caf thing, I wasn’t questioning your football knowledge :lol:

SouthPredators4

He can easily play for the likes of Fulham , West Ham or Sheff Utd. He will be an upgrade over their existing players. We can get easily 10mil with 1yr left on his contract. The club just got to be a lot more savvy, ruthless and forward thinking when dealing with deadwood.

OleGunnar20

Seems like a foolish exercise in accountancy to me, but then I know nothing about accountancy.

Terrible player who's legendary 'Purple Patch' wasn't even all that and occured over 3 years ago.

Seems like we should be learning the Jones lesson here, but what can you do.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Of course he will get his contract extend. Typical approach from the club. And of course he is such a valuable player, just like Phil Jones etc

Mindhunter

I am surprised by the general reaction here to be honest. People are taking this as either rewarding low performance or of making money based decisions instead of footballing ones. Let's take a step back and see what will we stand to gain this season by opting for the automatic extension of Lingard's contract.
  • Not breaking the great chemistry we have going within the squad; I know Lingard is a peripheral figure but suddenly freezing him out when we are in the middle of a great run is a needless risk especially when the media starts dissecting the reasons for it
  • Having him available to play during a pandemic where some clubs have lost several squad members to the virus; I would rather pay his salary than risk fielding 10 players for a game
  • We may eventually get an offer for him during the summer and offload him during the break instead of doing this in the middle of a season; worst case we continue to pay his salary for one more year
  • We may not get anyone during the Jan transfer window to bolster the attack; he may yet play a role if injuries, covid, fatigue take their toll for the remainder of the season
What we stand to lose:
  • Pay Lingard the same salary he earns today for one more year provided he isn't able to get a transfer to a club that would play him (i.e., money)
So all we stand to lose is money and yet people think that we are making money based decisions. I don't believe that Woodward is holding out for a transfer fee because the probability for it is low and he isn't an idiot.

Mr.Plow

Couldn't find anyone to take him last summer so why will this be any different?

No way we'd get a decent fee for him anyway considering his wages. This club needs to be a lot more ruthless, players like him and Jones should have been replaced years ago.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Maybe it's so he can command some sort of fee in the summer? can't see him actually being in the squad

KD6-3.7

My goodnes, what an absolutely embarrassing decision. We will never rid ourselves of Lingard, Jones, Rojo because our incompetent owners.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Haha what a load of old shite
Keep your emotions aside. This is logically the position we’re in - not favourable but it is what it is. It’s the only reason they’d give the fraud a new contract.

SAFMUTD

I am surprised by the general reaction here to be honest. People are taking this as either rewarding low performance or of making money based decisions instead of footballing ones. Let's take a step back and see what will we stand to gain this season by opting for the automatic extension of Lingard's contract.
  • Not breaking the great chemistry we have going within the squad; I know Lingard is a peripheral figure but suddenly freezing him out when we are in the middle of a great run is a needless risk especially when the media starts dissecting the reasons for it
  • Having him available to play during a pandemic where some clubs have lost several squad members to the virus; I would rather pay his salary than risk fielding 10 players for a game
  • We may eventually get an offer for him during the summer and offload him during the break instead of doing this in the middle of a season; worst case we continue to pay his salary for one more year
  • We may not get anyone during the Jan transfer window to bolster the attack; he may yet play a role if injuries, covid, fatigue take their toll for the remainder of the season
What we stand to lose:
  • Pay Lingard the same salary he earns today for one more year provided he isn't able to get a transfer to a club that would play him (i.e., money)
So all we stand to lose is money and yet people think that we are making money based decisions. I don't believe that Woodward is holding out for a transfer fee because the probability for it is low and he isn't an idiot.
Sorry mate but thats just bullshit, breaking a great chemistry? Who the feck in the squad would have a valid reason to demand an extension for Lingard?

Risking a virus breakout, well we used 9 non starters in the cup game and Lingard couldn't even get minutes there.

What do we gain? To raise the standard mate, to let everyone know you can't just be a freaking passenger in this team and get a free ride while being rewarded with an extension. Deals like this along with Rojo's and Jones' have make very clear that no matter how shitty you are if you're not about to retire ManUtd will always extend your contract.

DavelinaJolie

Covid may have hampered his efforts to leave last summer, but is that going to change this year? I would imagine the financial hole left for clubs by Covid isn't going to disappear overnight.

At this point I don't think they are protecting value. In this environment who is going to fork out any real money for Lingard? The kind of clubs I can imagine would want him probably wouldn't have the cash to pay on top of the wages.

UpWithRivers

What difference does it make. When we were playing Lingard and Pereira game after game and they were absolute shite then it was a problem. Now Jones, Lingard and Pereira are getting 0 minutes. Seems a waste of money but as long as it doesnt affect transfers then they can hang around and be mascots for all I care. Plus with covid you never know we might need them.

C'est Moi Cantona

You say if he can find form, but his last bit of decent form was 7 weeks, 3 years ago, in the current climate who is going to take that kind of gamble, and it is a gamble.in the form he has been in for the last 3 years he improves nobody in the top flight.
I agree he's disappointed in recent years, but lets be fair, the last months with Jose every one did, then he let himself down with his antics at time with Ole, drop in form, issues off the field, injuries, not been able to play his way into form, negative fan reactions, etc, it's not that hard to think he could get back into some sort of form again given a freah start.

Obviously the main hinderance is going to be a club matching his wages, and paying us a fee, but that doesn't mean the quality isn't there still given the chance, which is what alot of people are getting at.

When you see players like Walcott, Witlshire, Barkley, Carroll, Welbeck, etc, been given a new chance then I don't think it'd that much of stretch to think Lingard could be given the same opportunity.

Manny

Grammar Police
Imagine being one of the players that plays week in and week out then gets bashed on social media for having a bad game. Meanwhile Lingard, Jones and Rojo have done feck all for years and continue to get paid handsomely for it.

We should have fecked him off. A waste of salary, a squad place and club facilities. And it would sent a message to anyone else thinking of coasting through a career here.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I agree he's disappointed in recent years, but lets be fair, the last months with Jose every one did, then he let himself down with his antics at time with Ole, drop in form, issues off the field, injuries, not been able to play his way into form, negative fan reactions, etc, it's not that hard to think he could get back into some sort of form again given a freah start.

Obviously the main hinderance is going to be a club matching his wages, and paying us a fee, but that doesn't mean the quality isn't there still given the chance, which is what alot of people are getting at.

When you see players like Walcott, Witlshire, Barkley, Carroll, Welbeck, etc, been given a new chance then I don't think it'd that much of stretch to think Lingard could be given the same opportunity.
I don't think you can put 3 years down to a drop in form though, far more likely a return to his actual level. None of the players you mentioned have been as bad for as long as lingard.

Djemba-Djemba

Yeah he used to make very good runs from behind into the box and he was scoring some important goals aswell

It seemed like he had turned a corner and his movement and on-the ball decision had improved. Maybe the system Mourinho used him in that improved him.

I don't know why Ole can't get the best out of him
It was a fluke 8 week purple patch.

He's never been good enough for Utd

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Feel a bit sorry for Lingard. Man United fan, local guy who has been at the club longer than any other player and yet the fans seemingly want him gone with some venom.

clarkydaz

Feel a bit sorry for Lingard. Man United fan, local guy who has been at the club longer than any other player and yet the fans seemingly want him gone with some venom.
its not a holiday home is it? Fergie sent Hughes, Ince Kanchelskis out it one season after the double. When we were ruthless and dominating

C'est Moi Cantona

I don't think you can put 3 years down to a drop in form though, far more likely a return to his actual level. None of the players you mentioned have been as bad for as long as lingard.
I didn't, the bottom line is the club have given him the extra year for a reason, and it's not to just throw £100 k per week down the drain for another year.

Heardy

That doesn’t give him a by when it comes to a total drop in form though. Sure it’s a shame, but the shirt should be earned - he can’t cut it with us.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Bizarre decision from both the club and the player. I actually think Lingard at his best is a useful player to have in the squad but the guy has 0 appearances in either the PL and CL and hardly ever even makes the bench anymore. Surely he could get himself a move to a Brighton and revive his career.
If he would get paid less why would he do that

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
its not a holiday home is it? Fergie sent Hughes, Ince Kanchelskis out it one season after the double. When we were ruthless and dominating
I've no issue with Man United getting rid of players they don't deem good enough, that's got nothing to do with my post.

It's just sad to see someone like Lingard get so much abuse from fellow Man United fans.

Crustanoid

Yet again we have a clear example of why Ed Woodward should be nowhere near our club. This was probably based on marketing or something. Pure idiocy.

dal

We should get £10 million for him, then it’s probably the right thing, even if we get £1 million it’s better than giving him away.

One million pounds, gosh sounds a lot for Lingard.