Is Lingard as good as gone? | Contract extended by one year

Matt851

They didn't renew his contract, they trigged a one year extension, which cost United nothing to do. His contract was up in the summer of 2022, not this summer. So he would have been happy to sit on that for 6 months and get himself a free transfer in sorted in January. Now he has to leave this summer or sit on the bench for a full of 18 months, which is career suicide.
He would hardly be the first player to sit out their contract in the stands at the expense of their career

crossy1686

career ending
He would hardly be the first player to sit out their contract in the stands at the expense of their career
I think it's well documented Lingard is no longer welcome at the club, it would be extremely moronic to sit out a 2 year contract. This would essentially be his last contract if that were the case, and with a clothing company that is currently £450k in debt I'm sure he wouldn't want to see out his final playing years at a Championship club on £20k a week.

He'll be gone this summer. Watch this space.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I think we're happy to get him off the books at this point whatever the cost. I also think he would prefer to run his contract down and secure a move to a bigger team that don't want to pay a transfer fee for an experienced player, which is why we've taken the additional year on his contract to force him out this summer when a bid comes along.
Why not just................wait until the summer then? His contract would hav e ran out this summer if we didn't trigger it.

The answer to why he was extended is very uncomplicated: Asset management and squadplayer status.

hobbers

And you know this how?
Basic common sense. Firstly the family issues were back in 2018, his mum's probably better now and won't still be away. Secondly even back then his siblings were teenagers. Thirdly he has more than enough money to make looking after them a piece of cake (relative to a single parent or anyone else in a similar situation).

Seeing people refer to it as if he's lived through some awful family tragedy is pretty comical, especially when it's over two years later.

cyril C

Just curious. Lingard is still a fit player and with potent skill to score or create opportunity. Why is he not wanted by Newcastle or WBA or Fulham, even on loan? Newcastle or WBA, he can probably stay at his current house.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Similar to Jota. Gifted player who screwed himself. Well done Jesse. Truth be told he lacked courage. TheEnd!

Nori-

You could see his career was going in this direction for a long time.

I never understood the logic of spending so much energy on a clothing line and social media presence, when the success of those two things will generally come down to how good you are on the pitch. It feels like he gave those priority, lost his way in football, now has blown his chance with the first time, which will inevitably mean his clothing line and social media presence will fail.

Who are the people around him? Why didn't they give him better advice? Where was his agent?

It's a pity because at one point he looked like he was going to be a great player.

Kostov

Just curious. Lingard is still a fit player and with potent skill to score or create opportunity. Why is he not wanted by Newcastle or WBA or Fulham, even on loan? Newcastle or WBA, he can probably stay at his current house.
They probably want a better player then what they would get for the wages he would demand. Renewing his contract is absolutely moronic decision imo.

crossy1686

career ending
Because he went a year without scoring or assisting which is not a good look for a player who plays in his position

Bwuk

Basic common sense. Firstly the family issues were back in 2018, his mum's probably better now and won't still be away. Secondly even back then his siblings were teenagers. Thirdly he has more than enough money to make looking after them a piece of cake (relative to a single parent or anyone else in a similar situation).

Seeing people refer to it as if he's lived through some awful family tragedy is pretty comical, especially when it's over two years later.
Cool. So you don't have a clue basically and are making baseless assumptions.

Red00012

They didn't renew his contract, they trigged a one year extension, which cost United nothing to do. His contract was up in the summer of 2022, not this summer. So he would have been happy to sit on that for 6 months and get himself a free transfer in sorted in January. Now he has to leave this summer or sit on the bench for a full of 18 months, which is career suicide.
He’s done it for the past 12 months what’s another year and a half when you’re getting 100K a week ?

crossy1686

career ending
He’s done it for the past 12 months what’s another year and a half when you’re getting 100K a week ?
You know for a fact the cynicism regarding this thought process is nonsense. You don't work your way to becoming a starter for Manchester United to just give up on your career at age 28, no one would, and Lingard is no different.

Adamsk7

With someone like Phil Jones I understand the situation completely - we were stupid to give him a big deal on big pay when he was an average player and a permanent crock. Now we’ve resisted our error, nobody will take him because they don’t want to pay a fee, they don’t have the money to pay his wages and even if they did, who’s gonna take w chance on him? From Phil’s point of view, considering his body is made of papier-mâché, he’s probably happy to sit in the stands and collect his money.

Jesse Lingard, on the other hand, has something to give. Even this season it’s clear to see that when he’s played he’s still “lively”. By that I mean he still comes to collect the ball, still has good fitness, still has the basic abilities of a professional footballer. I am VERY surprised that nobody wants to take a chance on someone that I genuinely believe with some new surroundings and consistent game time, can get back to his England level of a few years ago. I’m also surprised that he doesn’t want to do just that but I guess maybe that’s where his home life/mental health issues come in.

crossy1686

career ending
Honestly, without being too harsh on Jessie because we all handle things differently, the following things have happened to him in the last 2 years:
- Mother got ill
- Grandad got ill (stated as a father figure)
- Girlfriend got pregnant
- Business is doing shit. £300k in debt.
- Jose sacked, Solskjaer hired.
- Was bollocked by Solskjaer for his social media activity

If we look at the things that he hasn't caused himself, so the sickness and let's say pregnancy. These are pretty normal things that happen to us all at some point in our life, except he doesn't have to work double shifts and weekends to pay for his incoming child. These things are much easier to deal with when you're rich and can throw money at your problems.

If he's still having personal problems they're problems he's caused to himself.

Doracle

With someone like Phil Jones I understand the situation completely - we were stupid to give him a big deal on big pay when he was an average player and a permanent crock. Now we’ve resisted our error, nobody will take him because they don’t want to pay a fee, they don’t have the money to pay his wages and even if they did, who’s gonna take w chance on him? From Phil’s point of view, considering his body is made of papier-mâché, he’s probably happy to sit in the stands and collect his money.

Jesse Lingard, on the other hand, has something to give. Even this season it’s clear to see that when he’s played he’s still “lively”. By that I mean he still comes to collect the ball, still has good fitness, still has the basic abilities of a professional footballer. I am VERY surprised that nobody wants to take a chance on someone that I genuinely believe with some new surroundings and consistent game time, can get back to his England level of a few years ago. I’m also surprised that he doesn’t want to do just that but I guess maybe that’s where his home life/mental health issues come in.
There’s a difference between “taking a chance” on someone and paying them a figure which would make him one of the higher earners at most premier league clubs. I suspect that there would be plenty of clubs willing to take him on loan, with us subsidising his wages, but less keen to currently buy him, particularly if his wage demands remain consistent with his current salary.

The best case scenario here is that he goes on loan for the remainder of the season and does reasonably well. If so, someone may well be prepared to take that chance on him, at a relatively low transfer fee, in the Summer. However, my strong suspicion is that he may be difficult to move, given his wages, and that extending his contract will just mean paying him for an extra year, before he leaves on a free anyway.

Red00012

You know for a fact the cynicism regarding this thought process is nonsense. You don't work your way to becoming a starter for Manchester United to just give up on your career at age 28, no one would, and Lingard is no different.
Phil Jones ?

Matt851

There’s a difference between “taking a chance” on someone and paying them a figure which would make him one of the higher earners at most premier league clubs. I suspect that there would be plenty of clubs willing to take him on loan, with us subsidising his wages, but less keen to currently buy him, particularly if his wage demands remain consistent with his current salary.

The best case scenario here is that he goes on loan for the remainder of the season and does reasonably well. If so, someone may well be prepared to take that chance on him, at a relatively low transfer fee, in the Summer. However, my strong suspicion is that he may be difficult to move, given his wages, and that extending his contract will just mean paying him for an extra year, before he leaves on a free anyway.
Exactly

It also sounds like he has an inflated opinion of himself, possibly because of his salary, and thinks he is too good for some pl teams

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Really!?! :lol:

L1nk

He is awful, and rarely ever scores or creates anything for someone who is an AM/Winger, there is no interest because other clubs aren't stupid enough to pay him the wages we pay him for such little output on the field

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Honestly, without being too harsh on Jessie because we all handle things differently, the following things have happened to him in the last 2 years:
- Mother got ill
- Grandad got ill (stated as a father figure)
- Girlfriend got pregnant
- Business is doing shit. £300k in debt.
- Jose sacked, Solskjaer hired.
- Was bollocked by Solskjaer for his social media activity

If we look at the things that he hasn't caused himself, so the sickness and let's say pregnancy. These are pretty normal things that happen to us all at some point in our life, except he doesn't have to work double shifts and weekends to pay for his incoming child. These things are much easier to deal with when you're rich and can throw money at your problems.

Hes a grown man and we all face adversity.
A pregnancy isnt a bad news story.
His business is exactly that and its not an excuse for his lack of form
The part about the managers is football - happens all the time so again its on him to double down his efforts.
He just did the opposite.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It also sounds like he has an inflated opinion of himself, possibly because of his salary, and thinks he is too good for some pl teams
Isn't the only PL team he's been rumoured to have turned down Sheffield United, who are probably on track to be the worst PL team of all time? I can't blame him for not wanting to go to a team in that much trouble as, unless he manages to completely turn around their season, that would probably be worse than sitting in the stands here in terms of building interest from others.

There were also rumours that Newcastle and West Ham might be interested and those are more the teams that he should be looking at. If they do decide to go for him I'd be disappointed if he turned them down.

Red00012

He's permanently injured, why would he leave? What's he going to do? Sit on the dole until he can play football again? Completely different situation.
Not really both are happy to collect their nice pay packets.

sugar_kane

No wonder he's been out of sorts if someone else got his missus up the duff

SAFMUTD

He's in a very though spot at the moment, the manager lost faith on him, he's low on confidence, he's behind the pecking order by at least 4 players, most fans don't like him.

He won't be given time to regain momentum so he can't prove he's worthy of another chance (he's most certainly not). So I dont see any other option for him than to leave for another club if he wants to play, it's either that or remain here without being even on the bench.

romufc

He is supposed to be at his peak, it seems there are no takers for him at the moment. Find it strange considering he would improve the likes of West Ham or the like.

I would like to see him in the PL.

crossy1686

career ending
He is supposed to be at his peak, it seems there are no takers for him at the moment. Find it strange considering he would improve the likes of West Ham or the like.

I would like to see him in the PL.
I think the issue is that HE doesn't want to go to the likes of West Ham, we'd probably happily sell him.

romufc

I think the issue is that HE doesn't want to go to the likes of West Ham, we'd probably happily sell him.
Well then it looks like he will leave on a free. Some of these players think they are better than they actually are.

Look at Perreira hardly getting game time at Lazio.

clarkydaz

He's in a very though spot at the moment, the manager lost faith on him, he's low on confidence, he's behind the pecking order by at least 4 players, most fans don't like him.

He won't be given time to regain momentum so he can't prove he's worthy of another chance (he's most certainly not). So I dont see any other option for him than to leave for another club if he wants to play, it's either that or remain here without being even on the bench.
Ole granted him a full season to book himself up. He couldnt, someone elses turn

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
If there is going to be a Jesse Lingard exit, it won't be smooth. In Matt Law's recent article about Dele Alli, the final paragraph revealed a couple of details on Jesse Lingard's situation.
  • United don't want to let Lingard leave for another PL/EL rival.
  • Lingard frustrated at the lack of playing time and the prospect of missing out on Euro 2020.
So Lingard wants to leave, but he wants to go to bigger and better clubs (hence why he worked with Raiola for a bit). United, however, don't want to let him go to clubs that'll rival them for the PL (title, top 4) & EL. So far, I haven't found any solid stories on clubs outside of a relegation battle but aren't rivalling us that are interested in Lingard, so his options, at the moment, are slim to none.

TrustInOle

I feel for him at this point. There was a time where it looked like his future would be bright, especially after the world cup. You have to wonder where it went wrong, was it his personal life? If so, I find that tremendously sad and hope he can kick start somewhere else. At times he had some lovely movement and link up play, where do people think he would suit? I think the space in La Liga would do him wonders.

hobbers

? You can try and coddle him all you like but the facts are the adversity in his personal life was in 2018, not now, and wasn't that much to write home about from what he said to the papers.

His mum was ill and he had to keep an eye on teenage siblings for a while, not that difficult a task on £100k a week. Most footballers will have to deal with sickness or death in their families at some point in their careers, and a lot of premier league footballers his age have kids of their own to look after :lol:

Last edited:

stevoc

I don't think Lingard will be keen to leave the area he lives due to his family commitments tbh!
If thats the case it's understandable, there are loads of clubs in the North West. I'm sure one of them will take him if he's prepared to lower his wages and maybe even drop down a division or two.

littleman

Lingard needs to reinvent himself as a player.

Also needs to dramatically decrease his focus on anything non-football.

Lastly, he may end up as a has-been very quickly, so he needs to reorganize his finances because it could be that it's all down from here.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
That's not how the club sees it. I'm not a finance person, so take this next bit with a grain of salt. To us fans that watch regularly, we firmly believe no one is paying more than 10m for him. However, he is 28, English, and an important member of the squad that got to the semi-finals of the WC 2 years ago. The price for a similar profile player is somewhere between 30m and 50m, which is probably what the club have him down in their books as (maybe even more). I don't think any auditor is going to argue too much with that valuation. So if you take his 3.5m wages, it's still a net positive for the club. If you let him walk away for free, his wages are no longer being paid, but the loss in asset value is greater. Do something similar for 3 or 4 players, even if they are not playing, and the clubs books looks a lot healthier to the shareholders.
As a finance person, this is a load of nonsense.