Is Lingard as good as gone? | Contract extended by one year

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I do not understand the grief he gets from fans. Jess very good player, he’s not a goal scorer or even an assister but he’s a very good player and just doesn’t suit playing in a dominant team. In games where counter attacking is key he’s one of the most important players. I like him and would prefer him to stay but I think from a playing perspective he would play every week in a foreign team or mid table prem team.
So he runs fast in counter attacks is about his only attribute?

Doesn't score.
Doesn't assist.
Cant play in dominant teams.

The days of United carrying the likes of him are over.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I do not understand the grief he gets from fans. Jess very good player, he’s not a goal scorer or even an assister but he’s a very good player and just doesn’t suit playing in a dominant team. In games where counter attacking is key he’s one of the most important players. I like him and would prefer him to stay but I think from a playing perspective he would play every week in a foreign team or mid table prem team.
He doesn’t score, he doesn’t assist, he isn’t very fast, he isn’t very strong, he isn’t good in the air, he isn’t a good passer, he isn’t a good tackler.

Other than “running around” which is the bare minimum requirement for a footballer at Sunday league level, what is he good at?

White Fury

Local lad, knows the club, "world class" movement, runs around alot, still "young" ... these are the only "qualities" that lingard has.
Hopefully this is his last season in a Man Utd shirt.

He’ll be forgotten about a week after he leaves like cleverly
He scored the winning goal in the FA Cup final - that fact means he will never be forgotten. Few players get iconic moments like that!

Yes his United career never progressed after that but the vitriol against him is pathetic.

Last edited:

Rossa

If you hang on stats you won't think he's worth much, but remember, form is temporary, class is permanent
What class? He had one good season. He’s decent, but far from good enough for most PL clubs. He’s not fast, cannot dribble, isn’t a good finisher, can’t track or tackle and is only decent at pressing. He’s also 27 so in his physical prime. I don’t think he’s Championship level, but I doubt he’s top six level.

Fussball13251

If he's so good then why aren't Crystal Palace, West Ham, Newcastle, etc, putting bids on for him?

Dante

Average bang
If he's so good then why aren't Crystal Palace, West Ham, Newcastle, etc, putting bids on for him?
Same reason nobody's putting in bids for anyone. The transfer window isn't open.

And who the hell puts in public bids these days? It all happens behind the scenes.

Fussball13251

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Which proves Lingard is not class.. His entire career has shown that he can't deliver on a steady basis and that his standard level of play isn't good enough. When he's on form he's a decent player but the problem is and has always been that he's on form for about 4-5 games once every 6-18 months.
Well he's fooled a lot of the very best Managers of the modern era who were paid millions a year to spot stuff like that then. The kid deserves a statute, not mocking.

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
I really have no issue keeping Lingard if he's ok with being a Cup starter and a defensive sub. It comes down to if he accepts that role cause he is never surpassing Bruno and either wingers we have now, not even thinking about if we get Sancho.

Fussball13251

That's probably the most irrelevant response I've ever seen posted on here.
Almost all of the ex footballers don't think he is good enough. These are not hate videos /watch?v=HNJYsFfz8kU They are United fans merely pointing out his poor first touch, poor passing, poor shooting, etc. Constantly giving the ball away. Now go watch Phil Foden: /watch?v=DagomdBdhpo

Lingard is only highly rated by Rio Ferdinand

/watch?v=TApFkzSMnms I would understand defending him if he played a bit like Phil Foden. But he's nowhere near as good as him.

https://www.freepressjournal.in/spo...ds-jesse-lingard-after-awful-first-touch-pass

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
What class? He had one good season. He’s decent, but far from good enough for most PL clubs. He’s not fast, cannot dribble, isn’t a good finisher, can’t track or tackle and is only decent at pressing. He’s also 27 so in his physical prime. I don’t think he’s Championship level, but I doubt he’s top six level.
That's some serious backtracking, Let's just wait and see where he ends up, if he does leave.

Le Red

It still baffles me how many people defend him.
I get defending him from hatred and bullying, but some people actually try to defend his career, which is, bar one particular season, indefensible.

Strelok

I read welbeck's name and in me head I see the 1 on 1 against Real. The dumb feck chip he tried as if we were 5-0 up against Burnley
Yeah the King of Chips.

You forgot the one against Bayern mate. Everyone except him know that against Neuer you have to go low.

The Original

He's clearly among the fastest players at utd. Whatever his flaws are, a lack of speed isn't one of them

Class of 63

Sourness
It still baffles me how many people defend him.
I get defending him from hatred and bullying, but some people actually try to defend his career, which is, bar one particular season, indefensible.
The lad has had to work twice as hard as anybody to get to the very top level since the Premier League first started, that's why some of us are defending him now he's falling by the wayside. It would have been so easy for the lad to think sod this for a game of soldiers when United had to get special dispensation to play him in u16 matches when he was 18 because he was so small, but he didn't he stuck at it, worked his tripe off during 4 loan spells and full credit to him, yeah it may be time to move on but i'm sure some of yous feel he plays shite just to wind you up.

tjb

People need to open their eyes a bit more. Lingard isn't a good player, even for a team like Norwich. You have to be effective in one way or another to be that in the modern game. He offers nothing to us. As a no.10 he brings virtually no attributes to the team and on the flanks he crowds the space inside. Doesn't have the pace nor dribbling ability to attack the flanks on the ball, nor the strength, agility or good decisionmaking to get himself on the ball centrally.

A lot of our fans have overrated a lot of our players over the last 5 years until they play for another team and we see what they've always been. Players like Welbeck and Cleverley are better than our current bench outfit, yet neither for their mid/lower table teams. The truth about this is, players like Lingard and Perreira found it difficult to play at an acceptable level against these premier league teams, even hindering Martial and Rashford in the process. If they can't create/pass/shoot/dribble against those teams for us ( a team with more quality players around them), how are they supposed to do that for Aston Villa or Norwich or Bournemouth.

Strelok

People need to open their eyes a bit more. Lingard isn't a good player, even for a team like Norwich. You have to be effective in one way or another to be that in the modern game. He offers nothing to us. As a no.10 he brings virtually no attributes to the team and on the flanks he crowds the space inside. Doesn't have the pace nor dribbling ability to attack the flanks on the ball, nor the strength, agility or good decisionmaking to get himself on the ball centrally.

A lot of our fans have overrated a lot of our players over the last 5 years until they play for another team and we see what they've always been. Players like Welbeck and Cleverley are better than our current bench outfit, yet neither for their mid/lower table teams. The truth about this is, players like Lingard and Perreira found it difficult to play at an acceptable level against these premier league teams, even hindering Martial and Rashford in the process. If they can't create/pass/shoot/dribble against those teams for us ( a team with more quality players around them), how are they supposed to do that for Aston Villa or Norwich or Bournemouth.
Pretty much this. Sad but true.

roseguy64

Yeah Welbeck and Cleverley who can only make the bench at Watford are better than players than Fred, McTominay and Ighalo. Good to know.

Strelok

Yeah Welbeck and Cleverley who can only make the bench at Watford are better than players than Fred, McTominay and Ighalo. Good to know.
He's talking about Lingard and Pereira I think. It's pretty clear that Fred, McT and Ighalo are not deadwood and we have no intention of off load those.

Lj82

That was Bayern wasn't it? I seem to remember it was Neuer he was nonchalantly trying to chip.
And that totally pissed Rooney off. He said they trained the whole week to focus on low finishes against Neuer, and Welbeck goes on and tried to chip him

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He doesn’t score, he doesn’t assist, he isn’t very fast, he isn’t very strong, he isn’t good in the air, he isn’t a good passer, he isn’t a good tackler.

Other than “running around” which is the bare minimum requirement for a footballer at Sunday league level, what is he good at?
He is actually very good at pressing, although you can view it the same as "running around", but his pressing game is definitely far above Sunday league level.

He is quite shite at everything else though, I think he belongs to level of team at the bottom of the table.

Last edited:

red4ever 79

He is actually very good at pressing, although you can view it the same as "running around", but his pressing game is definitely far above Sunday league level.

He is quite shite at everything else though, I think he belongs to level of team lower down the table.
He's not going to get games here next season in the matches that count. If he stays he will be confined to cup games I would say. Imagine if we sign Sancho also. Midfield Bruno, Pogba, Matic, Scott, Fred Forwards Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, James

He is better off leaving.

dogwithabone

That's probably the most irrelevant response I've ever seen posted on here.
His days are over as a serious footballer. He needed a SAF type figure to be at the helm to keep him grounded when he was playing his best stuff but instead he’s just drifted into a half arsed footballer who offers very little, certainly nothing like enough for what we are aspiring to now.

Davs

I think everyone can agree Lingard isn't up to United quality and should be moved on in the summer.

However like many comments above have said, the disrespect against him however is still pretty bad considering he scored us a winner in a cup final.

ICHM

His 100K a week wages are a scandal, we will have trouble shifting him because of these. He needs to go, his form has nose dived since his JLings thing.

I would rather have a 18 / 19 year old getting experience than this fool.

If we get an offer for him, take it. It is telling that no clubs have been linked with him.

Robbie Boy

I think he's going to struggle wherever he goes. Fans of other PL clubs see him as an absolute joke and he has a pretty poor reputation. He would probably be better off going abroad for a fresh start.

LisburnWhite

Best for both us and himself that we go our separate ways. Yes there was moments of magic that we will always have but the love has faded and the longer he stays the more those memories fade.
Hopefully he will do well tonight and give us that one last time before he moves on to someone new.

Last edited:

kundalini

The £37-45M that Class of 63 is saying isn't actually 'that' exaggerated, if it weren't for his wages. Either we're going to have to drop our asking price significantly so that the buying club can pay him similarly (either as a weekly wage or as a one-off signing bonus), or Lingard is going to have to be happy to sign for a low wage for us to get a good price. I guess it depends on how desperate he is to leave for game time, and how desperate we will be to sell him to put that money (both transfer fee and the wage saving) towards other players. We'll probably meet somewhere in the middle and we'll get more than some in here are expecting but obviously lower than a couple of others think.

It's the same issue we're going to have to shift most of the players people want to sell. We pay our squad players far too much, more than what many teams even in the premier league pay their best players.
This season 2019 - 2020, according to Transfermarkt, PL teams spent £1606m and received £810m, across the summer and winter transfer windows.

- 94 incoming transfers for which a fee was paid (not including loans)
- 13 for fees between £15m and £19m
- 28 transfers for at least £20m

Of those 41 incoming transfers (13 + 28) for at least £15m

- 30 involved players under 25 years old
- 7 players aged 25
- 4 players aged 26 or older (Maguire, Danny Ings, Raul Jimenez, Mings)

Looking at fees at least £10m but under £15m in the PL

- 9 players under 25 years old
- 1 player aged 25
- 0 players aged 26 or older

Fees £10m or more, in top European Leagues, incoming transfers 2019 - 2020:

- France 18 players under 25, 1 player aged 25, 7 players aged 26 or older (3 bought by PSG)
- Spain 20 players under 25, 2 players aged 25, 13 players aged 26 or older (4 by Real Madrid and Barcelona)
- Germany 19 players under 25, 2 aged 25, 5 players aged 26 or older (3 by Dortmund)
- Italy 26 players under 25, 4 aged 25, 12 players aged 26 or older

Jesse Lingard is currently 27 (his birthday is in December). The lack of fans in the stadiums will be having a financial impact. It is not clear how much of next season will be played in front of full stadiums, some fans, no fans.

Jesse's salary will be problematic for a few teams, such as Burnley and Sheff United, who don't pay anyone close to what he is currently earning. However, that is not the main issue. Even before the Coronavirus, clubs across the big 5 leagues in Europe have been reluctant to pay above £10m for players aged 26 or older. Only 41 transfers this season came in that category.

Had United put Lingard up for sale immediately after the World Cup, then a fee of £30m or more, might have been achieveable. He was younger, in better form, a far more attractive proposition than he is right now.

Last edited: