Is Lingard as good as gone? | Contract extended by one year

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
As long as looking after his career means getting him a good move away thats fine, not if it means holding onto a substandard player on a wage that could be much better spent elsewhere purely because ole has known him a long time and likes him.
If Ole cant gives Lingard regulate football, then staying at the club obviously isn't the best for Lingard's career.
Also, players have contracts. Lingard can legitimately stay for another 12 months and then become a free agent.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I used to be a big critic of Lingard but I now find it hard to believe that people want him to move on?

He's an academy lad who is still young and growing into the role of a more senior player. His last few appearances he has been great scoring goals, the team clearly love him and want him to do well, in fact everyone seems to like him , he's a great part of the squad. He is even captain sometimes now so Ole must like him.

He had a bad year with family issues and is clearly playing his way into form to the stage where (this might seem controversial), he might displace Bruno. Lingard on form will keep the ball better and score goals too.

I think we will and should extend to show our faith, he's gonna be the competition for the 10 position Bruno needs.

SirAnderson

I used to be a big critic of Lingard but I now find it hard to believe that people want him to move on?

He's an academy lad who is still young and growing into the role of a more senior player. His last few appearances he has been great scoring goals, the team clearly love him and want him to do well, in fact everyone seems to like him , he's a great part of the squad. He is even captain sometimes now so Ole must like him.

He had a bad year with family issues and is clearly playing his way into form to the stage where (this might seem controversial), he might displace Bruno. Lingard on form will keep the ball better and score goals too.

I think we will and should extend to show our faith, he's gonna be the competition for the 10 position Bruno needs.
While I have a problem with calling him "still young". I agree that he can have a further chance to improve, at the least he deserves a good decent squad role and who knows, could even start pushing for a starting berth if he proves this is more than just a purple patch.

I definitely wrote him off and would have been fine seeing him gone, but we need that squad depth, and with us spending almost everything on Lingard, we don't have money for shiny new signings.

I trust that Ole can get the most out of Jesse, he already got him to pipe down more on his social media side and focus on his football, and it is starting to show. Not saying he will be world class, but there is a player in there!

AneRu

He could be useful as a squad player but young and learning he is not. Don't allow yourself to be deceived by his boyish stature and personality.

I think if his form picks up then he will be cheaper to keep than replace but that's just about it with him.

Problem is you could have posted almost this exact same thing about him at any point over the last 10 years.

Best for everybody if he moves on.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Maybe it is.

He's better than James though... and certainly capable of being a good first team player somewhere else.

dove

:lol: Nice WUM.

Bojan11

I stopped reading at young and growing because it’s clearly a troll post.

Berbasbullet

While I have a problem with calling him "still young". I agree that he can have a further chance to improve, at the least he deserves a good decent squad role and who knows, could even start pushing for a starting berth if he proves this is more than just a purple patch.

I definitely wrote him off and would have been fine seeing him gone, but we need that squad depth, and with us spending almost everything on Lingard, we don't have money for shiny new signings.

I trust that Ole can get the most out of Jesse, he already got him to pipe down more on his social media side and focus on his football, and it is starting to show. Not saying he will be world class, but there is a player in there!
Completely agree, maybe I shouldn’t have said young as people think I am wumming now, but he’s clearly on the ascendancy in regards to his form, and is well liked in the team.

Not a new contract just yet, but if he carries on like this he will displace Bruno.

Zlatan Ibrahomovic

Isnt he he on something like 150 000 £ a week? His next contract will never give anything near that, unless he goes to China and gets lucky and he knows that. So he will 100% stay with us next year, collect the money, and then after that go as a free agent to a club at a lesser level.

The issue was our club giving him that massive deal when we could easily have paid 1/3 and he would still have signed.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I'd sooner keep Lingard than James. Ideally we wouldn't really need either, but I'm guessing we'll have to fill out the attacking options in the squad for next season with one of them.

E-mal

WUM

E-mal

Completely agree, maybe I shouldn’t have said young as people think I am wumming now, but he’s clearly on the ascendancy in regards to his form, and is well liked in the team.

Not a new contract just yet, but if he carries on like this he will displace Bruno.
Even he knows he has no chance of displacing Bruno, he has to leave. You cant play for United and put in such performances and then picked an asshole as his agent. Time to move him on.

crossy1686

career ending
Scholes said he thought the writing was on the wall for Lingard last night after being taken off at 60 minutes in a dead rubber game after getting a goal. Also said Solskajer could be looking at moving Fred on also... :nervous:

Tiber

It this parody? A fluke goal after a keeper howler and another against Lask and suddenly a career of mediocrity is forgiven? This sort of attitude is why we are miles behind our competition in the league.

I don't care if he is from the acadamy, like thousands before him he isn't good enough for the Manchester United first team.

AaronRedDevil

These fans turn on players very quick. It’s a joke. James dad died at the beginning of the season and he’s been nothing but a soldier playing like hell and he was doing really good the first half of the season. Meanwhile Lingard gets all the leeway because of his family problems. Despite though, everyone wanting him out.

sincher

Yeah, bit much that.

James has lost confidence. There is a player there, I think, though I am far from sure there is really a United player there. Lingard is older of course but has more to his game - his passing and movement are both considerably better than James for example.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
James has never played at this level before and Lingard has regressed, I don't see why there's such hate for James, it's uncalled for.
No hate for James at all, he just doesn't have the basic level of technical ability to make it as a winger at a top club.

Berbasbullet

Even he knows he has no chance of displacing Bruno, he has to leave. You cant play for United and put in such performances and then picked an asshole as his agent. Time to move him on.
Ole loves him and if he keeps scoring then Bruno will be on the bench.
It this parody? A fluke goal after a keeper howler and another against Lask and suddenly a career of mediocrity is forgiven? This sort of attitude is why we are miles behind our competition in the league.

I don't care if he is from the acadamy, like thousands before him he isn't good enough for the Manchester United first team.
A parody? My friend this is very real, just like Lingards form! He has had his downs but now he is back and will see the best of him soon!

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Lingard at least knows how to play football, even if it often doesn't look like it. James has no clue.
International footballer, goals and assists for united but he doesn’t know how to Play football and hasn’t got a clue? :lol:

as for lingard being young, learning and can replace Bruno, just because he scored from a keeper feck up and against lask? Ha

sincher

Er yeah he won't be replacing Bruno in the first team any time soon even if he does start playing a little better!

sincher

International footballer, goals and assists for united but he doesn’t know how to Play football and hasn’t got a clue? :lol:

as for lingard being young, learning and can replace Bruno, just because he scored from a keeper feck up and against lask? Ha
International footballer for Wales. That is not a very high bar tbh. The most capped player for Wales is Chris Gunter.

A few goals and assists, yes. Not enough to show he can make it. It is fine to have different opinions. Personally, nothing against James but I don't think he'll make it here. Hope to be wrong.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
International footballer for Wales. That is not a very high bar tbh. The most capped player for Wales is Chris Gunter.

A few goals and assists, yes. Not enough to show he can make it. It is fine to have different opinions. Personally, nothing against James but I don't think he'll make it here. Hope to be wrong.
It shows that he certainly has some clue in how to play football

edgecutter

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Withnail

He's two years older than Bruno and never looked like being anywhere near the same level.

Not doing anything to dispel the WUM suspicions with this :lol:

Clique

About the "young" part - you do realize he's 27 and a whole 2 years elder to Bruno?

This is a troll post, isn't it? Hahah good one!

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
“Could displace Bruno” can’t believe anyone in their right mind could think that!

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
A Lingard in top form is better than Bruno in poor form.
Nowhere near. A Bruno in poor form still scores and assists at nearly a goal a game rate, Lingard even on top form was only ever a useful squad option for a good team and he’s a hell of a long way from that form. I like him, but his time here should be over.

jackal&hyde

I'd sooner keep Lingard than James. Ideally we wouldn't really need either, but I'm guessing we'll have to fill out the attacking options in the squad for next season with one of them.
Why so harsh on James though? He is at his first season at the top level, was overplayed a lot imo plus some personal issues. He is very much still developing.

I'm starting to think Lingard might stay as a squad player. TBF, when we play on the counter he can be good, that is when he had his best games if i'm not mistaken. We don't have good alternative to Bruno and i doubt we'll spend 60 mil on Grealish after the record signing of Sancho. Lingard might just get another year at United.