Is Lingard as good as gone? | Contract extended by one year

Tiber

Ole loves him and if he keeps scoring then Bruno will be on the bench.
A parody? My friend this is very real, just like Lingards form! He has had his downs but now he is back and will see the best of him soon!

That's ok then. I'd rather be taken in by a wum that think you want to give Lingard another chance

There certainly are people who want too out there

buckooo1978

Lingard could leave without a complaint from me. I know he's had considerable personal issues but his lack of effectiveness really has been prolonged. The last time we really saw a useful Lingard was the season we won the Europa League. Its hard to think of a player who has been so bad for so long and improved. Lingard of 3 years ago would be a really good squad player but not sure we will see him again.

What will probably save Lingard's United career is our other exits. Sanchez, Rojo, Jones, Smalling, Mata, Dalot, Pereira or Lingard could all leave on permanent deals. You'd hope to shift 4 or 5 of them.

Players like Chong, Garner should be loaned out.

Unless we bring in 5 players the squad might be a bit light and given Lingard's history with the squad he could survive.

Hard to see in the current climate where he might be wanted.... West Ham perhaps? Will he want to move given family issues?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
All these lads start clinging on for dear life and saying all the right things in the press because of 2 things. 1- If we renew them then they will get quite a bit more money here than they would at any other club in a serious league. 2- the only way is down if they leave. Players can have a few crap months or even a crap season but there are about 5 lads who don’t contribute nearly enough who should just be let go if we want to improve the quality of the squad. To be fair now Sánchez has gone lingard is probably the most valuable on the market. I genuinely wouldn’t be surprised to see Ed sign him up to protect the asset only to sell him in another season or 2 if he doesn’t improve. He can get a few goals and run about in fixtures like last night. A proactive team should always be looking to move on and get someone younger and more talented who costs less.

Last edited:

Tony247

Ole loves him and if he keeps scoring then Bruno will be on the bench.
Surely wum. That aside, Lingard may think he is no. 10, he might walk on the pitch as no. 10 but in reality no clue what's his position. He just roams there like an enigma. A no. 10 in team dictates final third. There is no authority in his game. At the most I see him kind of a player that can come on when the team is defending slender lead and just run amok trying to break opposition attack.

Clique

A Lingard in top form is better than Bruno in poor form.
Now this is worth a debate.. But Bruno is poor form still has the work-rate, decent-ish pass completion (75+%) and more importantly, always passes forward. There was some insane statistic about how "ALL" his passes were forward, like literally 100%.

Lingard in top form, brings finishing and work-rate. His passing has always been more hit and miss. His flicks sometimes come off, sometimes don't. Even during his best days.

In my honest opinion, Bruno's base level is comparable if not better than Lingard's top form.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Hate? Seriously?

Name me one top club who would sign Lingard right here, right now. The reason being that he was a half decent player who haven't performed for 18 months. We need reserve players who we can rely upon and would allow us to rest the likes of Pogba, Martial, Greenwood and Rashford. Jesse is simply not one of them.
Yeah hate, I can't understand why some can't just be happy for the kid scoring a few goals recently after a nightmare year on and off the pitch for him.

Oh and by the way those Amateurs topped a Europa League featuring PSV Eindhoven, Sporting CP and Rosenborg.

Mate you are right we need to replace Lingard and these performances against minnows should not change that fact.
You shouldn't be argue with Class of 63 he is delusional when it comes to defending Lingard.
No need for that pal.

Paul_Scholes18

Now this is worth a debate.. But Bruno is poor form still has the work-rate, decent-ish pass completion (75+%) and more importantly, always passes forward. There was some insane statistic about how "ALL" his passes were forward, like literally 100%.

Lingard in top form, brings finishing and work-rate. His passing has always been more hit and miss. His flicks sometimes come off, sometimes don't. Even during his best days.

In my honest opinion, Bruno's base level is comparable if not better than Lingard's top form.
Bruno can miss passes a lot already when in decent form. Although he can make the good ones too and probably still get goals and assist in poor form.
Not sure we have seen poor form from him yet. Last few games was not great though and I hope that is his bad form.
Lingard has not reached his old top form at all this season so who knows if he still can do it. The City game is the only one I can remember him being really good against a strong side.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Yeah hate, I can't understand why some can't just be happy for the kid scoring a few goals recently after a nightmare year on and off the pitch for him.

Oh and by the way those Amateurs topped a Europa League featuring PSV Eindhoven, Sporting CP and Rosenborg.
Its 2 goals one was a quite fortunate, the other was against Lask or whatever they are called. Don't take me wrong I am happy for him especially since it might generate interest for him. However he's clearly not United's level. Oh Rosenborg and PSV Eindhoven. That's serious business then.

passing-wind

My problem with Lingard isn't entirely his lack of ability but more his positional contribution. We play with a 4-2-3-1 but often the midfield lies deeper and with Martial dropping into a 9 position what value does Jesse add ? I think there's a reason no real 10's have stood out under Solskjaer due to the shape the team occupies (not to mention most opposition often have sat in final third).

Grealish would be a sensible acquisition because he can play as an 8. There's no value in Lingard staying here because he doesn't offer the squad anything. I'd even go as far as giving the likes of Garner / Levitt the potential minutes Jesse would have.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
This was also their 4th loss in a row. Their record after the break is W3 D1 L7.

Red00012

Just read that himself and Raiola have parted company . Not even the great man could find him a club

Is he still injured or just not been selected?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Nov 02: "Jesse has trained. We'll see if there is any reaction. He might be able to travel to Istanbul but we're not sure yet."

That was the last update. Due back around the 21st November.

crossy1686

career ending
Just read that himself and Raiola have parted company . Not even the great man could find him a club

Is he still injured or just not been selected?
fecking hell, how low must your stock be if even Riaola can't find you a new club?

Probably got the wake-up call he needed when Madrid and Barcelona didn't come knocking. The only way is down for him from United.

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Oh come on people, I was hoping to read a tweet from Falk that Bayern wants him in January and are ready to splash 30m £ on him. And not a cent more.
Too much?

justsomebloke

I'm not sure I agree this is even a meaningful comparison to make - they are such different players.

What clinches the issue of whether Lingard needs to move on is for me this: Where does he fit in a 4231?

He's not a winger, either by instinct or skill. He lacks the speed, dribbling and crossing ability to generate offense from out on the flank. Like Rashford and Greenwood he prefers to cut inside, but he doesn't really have quite the skill level required to do that well as a link-up player, nor the finishing ability to be a direct threat from the corners of the box. He's not a striker. And he just doesn't have the vision, patience, passing or processing to be any sort of credible No 10.

In fact, you could argue he doesn't fit snugly into any attacking role in widespread use. Maybe what suits him best is the role he used to have for England, as a central offensive midfielder drifting wide on the attack.

Cloud7

One of the best things Ole did was stopping Lingard's presence from being around the matchday squad.

Okey

Yep. Good as gone. Him, Mata, Rojo, Pereira, all with contracts expiring next summer. I don't expect any to be renewed. Not that any of us would be shocked if Ed and co pull out of their head scratching masterpieces!

lex talionis

Good as gone. Even before his family issues, his head was done in by fame associated with United. He could have been a super sub, but instead of focusing on his game he opened a line of merchandise. Perhaps a club like Palace could use him as a super sub.

Brophs

The One and Only
For his own sake I’d like to see him accept that he needs to go out and play football for the last few peak years of his career. Unfortunately, though, I suspect he’ll be banking on possibly being able to win over a new manager if Ole did happen to go.

GlasgowCeltic

A symbol of this era of decline almost as much as Fellaini, Pogba etc, three months of form sandwiched in the best part of a decade of excuses.

united for life

Good as gone. Even before his family issues, his head was done in by fame associated with United. He could have been a super sub, but instead of focusing on his game he opened a line of merchandise. Perhaps a club like Palace could use him as a super sub.
i think he couldn’t build an identity. What is he? A LW? RW? #10? What is he good at? Does he dribble? Good crosses? Shoots well? Not sure really. He lost it along the way I guess. His off the pitch interests/issues may have interrupted his development. Unfortunately I feel he’s finished as a united player. Hope he goes to a team where he can actually play

MileStolar

I'm not sure I agree this is even a meaningful comparison to make - they are such different players.

What clinches the issue of whether Lingard needs to move on is for me this: Where does he fit in a 4231?

He's not a winger, either by instinct or skill. He lacks the speed, dribbling and crossing ability to generate offense from out on the flank. Like Rashford and Greenwood he prefers to cut inside, but he doesn't really have quite the skill level required to do that well as a link-up player, nor the finishing ability to be a direct threat from the corners of the box. He's not a striker. And he just doesn't have the vision, patience, passing or processing to be any sort of credible No 10.

In fact, you could argue he doesn't fit snugly into any attacking role in widespread use. Maybe what suits him best is the role he used to have for England, as a central offensive midfielder drifting wide on the attack.
He is not a football player by the looks of it

Dan_F

He's obviously been injured, and for all his limitations he will always be a better option than James.
People need to give the lad a break. You wouldn’t have thought by the comments here that he won us one of our only trophies since Fergie retired. I don’t know what happened to his form/confidence, but it’s a real shame what’s happened.

Does make you wonder if you’re better leaving and having a solid career at Everton/Leicester, rather than staying at a poor United team and taking abuse from fans, whilst probably having the same chance of winning trophies.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
One of the best things Ole did was stopping Lingard's presence from being around the matchday squad.
What do you base that on out of interest? I don't ever remember reading about him being a trouble causer or whirlwind of negativity in the dressing room.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He'd do well at a Southampton. He can press well and run all day and knows how to follow tactics. Don't know why we didn't try to get a few million for him a couple of years ago.