Is Lingard as good as gone? | Contract extended by one year

Tony247

He is the only united player I have no idea what's his position on the field. I simply can't read his position. Sometimes he seems no. 10 but then he often drops deep to receive the ball. Most of the time he goes where ball goes.

midnightmare

“He can still do a job” is a phrase that keeps getting peddled about Lingard, and it makes me ask “what job?”

He’s not creative, he doesn’t offer a goal threat, he can really only play one position. Running? Is that what we consider doing a job now?

Scott McT is an example of a player who can do a job. He has limitations but brings attributes and a versatility that means he can be useful even in the biggest games. Jesse Lingard is not a player who can do a job, at least not for a club looking to actually compete at a high level.
Clearly memories are short. Jesse used to be able to “do a job” and for a while he was quite effervescent. People seem to forget the “Messe Lingard” phase and his Cup performances and goals. I still held even then that he should not be a first team starter for us but clearly he was a capable squad member. But that new contract was the turning point. It wasn’t his fault he was given it but the fan reactions were positively toxic. Across social media (which I’m sure he doesn’t avoid), it was absolutely poisonous. It’s bound to have had an impact on him. This coincided with our team being shit, Jose being Jose and of course his form dipping. But more than anyone, Lingard was absolutely crucified. Did himself no favors online but Twitter and the Internet overall are cruel.

I’ve wanted him sold for ages now. But I’ll repeat it. It’s as much for his good as the club’s. In happier circumstances, we’d have signed high quality starters for #10 and RW years ago and we’d not have forced him into this position. If we hadn’t, we’d not have this furore and while some would still have baited and trolled, a majority would likely have seen the sense in having a player like him filling out the squad. That’s no longer possible so I’m quite sure he’ll be sold.

PS: Say what anyone may, 3 managers - LvG, Jose and Ole - have rated Jesse good enough (in ability) to be a member of the squad. For all their flaws, no player could be devoid of talent and con all these for so long.Fergie too saw the talent. It’s ended badly and he must be sold but let’s not use this version of Jesse to pronounce judgement. We can easily accept his talent and also hold that firstly, that’s not enough for us and secondly, circumstances dictate that we must part ways for the good of all parties.

SAFMUTD

I doubt any team will pay the wages he's currently on so maybe we can find someone dumb enough to loan him for a year pay a portion of his wages and then in summer 2021 when he runs out of contract he'll be someone elses problem.

Bojan11

I doubt any team will pay the wages he's currently on so maybe we can find someone dumb enough to loan him for a year pay a portion of his wages and then in summer 2021 when he runs out of contract he'll be someone elses problem.
Enter Davey Moyes.

One plus from West Ham not getting relegated.

SAFMUTD

Enter Davey Moyes.

One plus from West Ham not getting relegated.
I dont think theyll be stupid enough to pay him 100K per week? I mean I hope so, but I find it hard to believe. He's been so poor for so long that I dont think even relegation sides would take him.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I dont think theyll be stupid enough to pay him 100K per week? I mean I hope so, but I find it hard to believe. He's been so poor for so long that I dont think even relegation sides would take him.
I think they will. I think they will see it as a big signing from a big club and will be happy to match is wage. Hopefully now they are almost definitely staying up, they talk to him and Jones right away.

SAFMUTD

I think they will. I think they will see it as a big signing from a big club and will be happy to match is wage. Hopefully now they are almost definitely staying up, they talk to him and Jones right away.
Hopefully youre right, I'll be cheering for them, pretty bubles and shit

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
He is the only united player I have no idea what's his position on the field. I simply can't read his position. Sometimes he seems no. 10 but then he often drops deep to receive the ball. Most of the time he goes where ball goes.
Only this season he goes away from the ball. He's actively avoiding it.

tenpoless

Clearly memories are short. Jesse used to be able to “do a job” and for a while he was quite effervescent. People seem to forget the “Messe Lingard” phase and his Cup performances and goals. I still held even then that he should not be a first team starter for us but clearly he was a capable squad member. But that new contract was the turning point. It wasn’t his fault he was given it but the fan reactions were positively toxic. Across social media (which I’m sure he doesn’t avoid), it was absolutely poisonous. It’s bound to have had an impact on him. This coincided with our team being shit, Jose being Jose and of course his form dipping. But more than anyone, Lingard was absolutely crucified. Did himself no favors online but Twitter and the Internet overall are cruel.

I’ve wanted him sold for ages now. But I’ll repeat it. It’s as much for his good as the club’s. In happier circumstances, we’d have signed high quality starters for #10 and RW years ago and we’d not have forced him into this position. If we hadn’t, we’d not have this furore and while some would still have baited and trolled, a majority would likely have seen the sense in having a player like him filling out the squad. That’s no longer possible so I’m quite sure he’ll be sold.

PS: Say what anyone may, 3 managers - LvG, Jose and Ole - have rated Jesse good enough (in ability) to be a member of the squad. For all their flaws, no player could be devoid of talent and con all these for so long.Fergie too saw the talent. It’s ended badly and he must be sold but let’s not use this version of Jesse to pronounce judgement. We can easily accept his talent and also hold that firstly, that’s not enough for us and secondly, circumstances dictate that we must part ways for the good of all parties.
Thanks. Been wanting to post similar thing.

midnightmare

Everton, WHU or Newcastle could easily benefit from buying him. He’d also likely take a wage cut to get a move. Then again, his agent is now Mino so he could even get him a raise I suppose.

That said, I think he’d be best served moving overseas. Go to a less physical league and also, more importantly, one with whose fans he has a clean slate.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Echo the sentiments of others he was a good squad option at his best but has been been good enough to be anything more. However, his recent form (last 2 years!) has been absolutely shocking and I’m pretty certain he will leave this summer which is best case for both parties. I wish him well and hope that he can make an impact somewhere and get back at least some of that previous form.

roseguy64

It’s time for Lingard to move on, I’ve been a fan. I like what he gives the team when he’s on form, but it’s not enough. Some great moments, the great goal vs Palace and vs Leicester in the charity shield. I’ll wish him well when he goes.
My view on him also. Seems like a great guy around the dressing room and is a genuine fan of the club. But he's not been able to get anything going the last couple seasons other than flashes. Needs a new environment to see if he can recapture something. He'll probably try to stay in England if he's still looking after his siblings.

Fully Fledged

We have Lingard, Mata and Pereira fighting for two spots on the bench. Lingard has been by far the worst of them this season, so is rightfully the one being left out. It's as simple as that.
I think the 3 of them should be replaced with Sancho and Grealish in all honesty. I wish them all well in the future and thank them for their service but it's time to move on.

Last edited:

Fully Fledged

This forum is more anti-Lingard than it is anti-Liverpool or anti-City. It's a ridiculous state of affairs. He's become the easy/lazy punchline to every joke.
What do you expect Ashley Young has gone so they need somebody else to bash.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I’m sure once Lingard goes, we will move into the next English player that the non match going ‘fans’ will move onto.
No hopefuly we never have a player that's as bad at football as him. 57 years I've supported this club, been to many matches and I've never seen a player as poor at football as this incompetent . He's played over 200 games for this club, even more than Cantona and many other brilliant players we've had and the day when he leaves this club cannot come one day too soon. How anyone continues to justify his presence in our squad is beyond belief.

Stadjer

I would guess. Most people who watch football know who Lingard is.
He is quite the online meme... we have two 'meme footballers' now. Phil 'weird face' Jones and Jesse 'Lingardinho' Lingard.

People who follow football know who he is. He was never really seen as the great player with worldclass movement like some English people or Manchester United fans claimed he was but he was just Jesse Lingard the Manchester United player. Recently however he became an absolute joke on Dutch football websites and/or football youtube stuff.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
I’m sure once Lingard goes, we will move into the next English player that the non match going ‘fans’ will move onto.
Why English when there are Sanchez, Rojo and Pereira?

Although Jones and Smalling are giving some fight as an English camp so maybe you're onto something?

No hopefuly we never have a player that's as bad at football as him. 57 years I've supported this club, been to many matches and I've never seen a player as poor at football as this incompetent . He's played over 200 games for this club, even more than Cantona and many other brilliant players we've had and the day when he leaves this club cannot come one day too soon. How anyone continues to justify his presence in our squad is beyond belief.
It’s a bit of a pointless comparison comparing him with Cantona. He’s played more games that RVP and Zlatan as well?

I’m not ‘justifying his presence’. Just that the amount of crap he gets is unwarranted. As a club, we have been poor over the last 7 years, and seen such a churn of players and no direction. Lingard has generally always been available and played various roles. Now we are in a position where our squad is strong enough that he’s not in the first team. That’s good news, and there’s no need to be so dramatic towards him with such hostility.

I’m sure you celebrated the goal he scored in the FA Cup final.

Why English when there are Sanchez, Rojo and Pereira?

Although Jones and Smalling are giving some fight as an English camp so maybe you're onto something?
I’m sure the forum is moving onto Maguire already.

To be clear, there is definitely an anti-English undercurrent on this forum.

wolvored

Good riddance. I don't know if he has had so many appearances the last few years because we've been terrible or we've been terrible because he's had so many appearances.
Mmmmm thats something that will baffle the ages :confused: :)

Dante

Average bang
He is quite the online meme... we have two 'meme footballers' now. Phil 'weird face' Jones and Jesse 'Lingardinho' Lingard.

People who follow football know who he is. He was never really seen as the great player with worldclass movement like some English people or Manchester United fans claimed he was but he was just Jesse Lingard the Manchester United player. Recently however he became an absolute joke on Dutch football websites and/or football youtube stuff.
He was a starter at the last World Cup for a team that got to the semifinal. That might explain why the Dutch have never heard of him.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Wait, why does this thread exists? Isnt Lingard a youngster and one for the future? Let's not tarnish his development lads

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Everton, WHU or Newcastle could easily benefit from buying him. He’d also likely take a wage cut to get a move. Then again, his agent is now Mino so he could even get him a raise I suppose.

That said, I think he’d be best served moving overseas. Go to a less physical league and also, more importantly, one with whose fans he has a clean slate.
True, we can improve our midfield that can't score or assist with a player that doesn't score or assist. I'd be shocked if we bought him, he isn't what Everton need at all.