Is Marco Verratti's star fading?

SalfordCitizen

Not a great player in my opinion, he does a good job that a thousand other midfielders could do. Won't remember him when he retires.

pascell

Barca also signed Paulinho, Gomes and Turan in the past few years, Barca 'wanting' someone is hardly a barometer these days...
Barca tried to sign him and Verratti wanted the move according to the press at the time, that's how the whole Neymar transfer came about.

sam147

He is basically Fred with a better passing range. Any proper footballer who wants to be a great would move to a competitive league to challenge themselves. He showed he can run games in the CL before. But playing against teams you dominate week in week out will impact your development.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Still a great player but hindered by a few issues.

1. A bit too hot-headed and too interested in physical contacts for his own good, at times — should be focusing on his conditioning and running games, but his lack of discipline in some moments costs him as well as his club — you get a sense that he hasn't matured all that much in that aspect since the time Ancelotti termed him an imbecile.

3. Even though Verratti himself isn't free from blame because he lacked consistent sharpness and pro-activeness in the last ~2 years, Emery wasn't a great coach for him. Already showing signs of rejuvenation under Tuchel — who's better at positional play and building coherent structures.

4. There's a degree of selection bias involved with an average fan's assessment of this player because of Paris Saint-Germain's standing as a club — and you get a sense that his narrative is frequently based on impressions like the card vs. Madrid or the 6–1 match vs. Barcelona, rather than a more exhaustive review. Domestic performances are routinely discounted because it's only Ligue 1, and on the European front their midfield didn't quite stack up against the best of the best (it's worse than the days of Motta and Matuidi where they had a dominant unit) — and while Verratti could definitely do more to elevate their performances, he's a symptom of an discrepancy that extends beyond himself.

5. Italy have been a non-factor in recent years, and to further exacerbate the issue, he wasn't available for them on a consistent basis — most notably the European Championship, so he doesn't have a great international platform to express himself, though that might change because they've looked good with him alongside Jorginho, with Insigne and Chiesa and Bernardeschi ahead of them.

Some of those problems could be resolved by him moving to another club or perhaps Paris Saint-Germain building a better midfield and system around him, but he needs to become a more dominant player and leader as an individual — take the next step like Schweinsteiger did at roughly the same age — that's primarily on him, but his teams also need to give him a better platform (like a resurgent Bayern and Germany for Bastian when he started coming into his own).

KC91

I think he had a down year last season, and appeared to plateau. It also didn't help that he missed a big chance to feature for Italy at Euro 2016, when they made a nice run under Conte. He would have been a real staple of that team.

This season though, he appears refreshed. With PSG, and recently with Italy. His talent is undeniable, if he keeps his temperament and health in order, he is still one of the best mids in the world IMO.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Verratti is a great player, his reputation has been ruined by injuries and thus lack of playing time. Stable form and matches over the next year and he’ll back in the frame. Would literally go straight into all teams in the world, the only exception being Real Madrid.
He’s better than Kroos and Casemiro. If Modric keeps this form up he’s better than him too.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
The guy is phenomenal. If he manages to stay fit and in good form he would walk into any midfield in the world. His injury record sadly shows that he hsi injury prone

The ppl commenting that hes overrated i think they watched one or two average games which any player can perfectly have and made up their minds. Im a big fan because ive watched many PSG games and when he shows up he runs the show every time. He has ridiculous awareness and is impossible to disposses of the ball. I really hope he can fullfill his potential in the next couple of years which is world XI level

the_irish123

Shouting (ALL CAPS)
ONE IF OFBTGE MOST UNDERRARED PLAYETS DVE EVERRRR ECER EVEGCRHXA

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
He’s one of the most overrated footballers on the caf I’ve seen, basically one class above cleverley, something like jordie clasie. He’d get masssively found out in the prem too. But say what you want, “we” are desperate to get any player at any position to make our team better

izec

He’s one of the most overrated footballers on the caf I’ve seen, basically one class above cleverley, something like jordie clasie. He’d get masssively found out in the prem too. But say what you want, “we” are desperate to get any player at any position to make our team better
What a ridiculous post

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I think he had a down year last season, and appeared to plateau. It also didn't help that he missed a big chance to feature for Italy at Euro 2016, when they made a nice run under Conte. He would have been a real staple of that team.
It's a dirty little secret that Conte didn't particularly like or rate him and was playing him because he "had to" rather than because he wanted to. His injury was a blessing for Conte, who could then play the team of grit&run he wanted, the cnut. Watching Verratti constantly get free, moving into position to receive the ball only for Bonucci or Chiellini to pointedly ignore him was maddening

Eric's Seagull

Not sure about fading as I haven't saw much of him lately. I would have liked to sign him a few years ago. Despite being 5'5" he is a terrier and can get stuck in when when he needs to as well as pass, due to his size I couldn't see us going for him with Jose as manager but I may be wrong. I think he is still young enough to go and do great things.

I think this is an interesting quote from Xavi about him "I think Verratti is a bit like me. He always goes in search of the ball quite deep on the pitch and then takes it forward and dictates play. Verratti is small just like me and he never loses the ball. His technique is incredible. He is a player I would love to see at Barcelona"

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
He’s a great player, just flying under the radar because the teams he plays for aren’t doing very well. Italy have been crap and PSG are yet to leave a mark in the Champions League.
Agree with this.

He's plateaued a little over the last 12 months or so. I wouldn't just rule him out because he pays in Ligue Un, that's lazy thinking - but he'll need to deliver at the business end of the Champions League and at a major tournament(s) for Italy. Not helped internationally by the mess that they have been in, but if they get their shit together you'd expect him to be influential at the hub of that team.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

4. There's a degree of selection bias involved with an average fan's assessment of this player because of Paris Saint-Germain's standing as a club — and you get a sense that his narrative is frequently based on impressions like the card vs. Madrid or the 6–1 match vs. Barcelona, rather than a more exhaustive review. Domestic performances are routinely discounted because it's only Ligue 1, and on the European front their midfield didn't quite stack up against the best of the best (it's worse than the days of Motta and Matuidi where they had a dominant unit) — and while Verratti could definitely do more to elevate their performances, he's a symptom of an discrepancy that extends beyond himself.
PSG really does have a problem in the midfield this season. It wasn't so obvious last season even if Motta could barely run but Matuidi leaving without being replaced really limited the options. Rabiot is good when he wants to and... that's pretty much it, no other high level player. Verratti is very good between the lines to harass opponents and give very accurate short/long passes to the offense but right now they have to use him far too often within 35m of their goal to initiate plays and it puts him far too low on the pitch. I can admit though, give this little guy the ball when you're in trouble and he will get you out, often taking ridiculous risks close to his own goal but I can't remember seeing him loosing the ball in this area of the field.

Needless to say, it'll be hard for Verratti (or PSG) to play at a very high level with such a poor midfield roster.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
At no point in their careers he was better than Kroos.
PSG are flying and Madrid are struggling, doesn’t make him a better player than Kroos or modric all of a sudden.
It does if you’ve actually played attention to the way Kroos has played in the past year.

If the likes of Thiago, Verratti or Pjanic had played for Madrid while Kroos was playing for Bayern/PSG/Juve they’d be rated the exact opposite of what they are now.

Last edited:

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Clearly a WUM. A class above Cleverley :lol:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
To answer the question, why do you want him to be a star fading when we know PSG will will the Champions League this season?

Also, this season, he seems very happy to work with Tuchel and in a good shape.

1. A bit too hot-headed and too interested in physical contacts for his own good, at times — should be focusing on his conditioning and running games, but his lack of discipline in some moments costs him as well as his club — you get a sense that he hasn't matured all that much in that aspect since the time Ancelotti termed him an imbecile.

3. Even though Verratti himself isn't free from blame because he lacked consistent sharpness and pro-activeness in the last ~2 years, Emery wasn't a great coach for him. Already showing signs of rejuvenation under Tuchel — who's better at positional play and building coherent structures.

5. Italy have been a non-factor in recent years, and to further exacerbate the issue, he wasn't available for them on a consistent basis — most notably the European Championship, so he doesn't have a great international platform to express himself, though that might change because they've looked good with him alongside Jorginho, with Insigne and Chiesa and Bernardeschi ahead of them.

Some of those problems could be resolved by him moving to another club or perhaps Paris Saint-Germain building a better midfield and system around him, but he needs to become a more dominant player and leader as an individual — take the next step like Schweinsteiger did at roughly the same age — that's primarily on him, but his teams also need to give him a better platform (like a resurgent Bayern and Germany for Bastian when he started coming into his own).
Great post as usual. What I could add:

1.Life hygiene

2-3 weeks ago, I have lunched with a colleague who saw Marco Verratti at the Ritz, drinking and accompanied by a woman (Carribean style according to him) who does not look like his wife.

https://fr.ritzparis.com/en-GB

One week later, Verratti is injured and could not play against Liverpool, which explained in good part the poor performance of PSG.

By the way, he smokes too according to the press so his health practices do not look perfect but, after all, I have no concrete evidence

2.Verratti suffers from the comparison with Pirlo

Pirlo was L'Architetto of an Italy side whose style of play was greatly inspired by Andrea: you know his long passing skills towards the strikers and wing-backs typical of an Italian 3-5-2 system

Marco is less offensive and much more possession-driven. If you want to play counter-attacking football, players like Xabi Alonso and Pirlo are much more suited.

3.The Squadra Azzura in the midst of crisis

4. Not his fault if PSG was kicked by Real Madrid
(see Emery who deployed Lo Celso as a #6 lol) in 2018, Barcelona (Remontada: the issues were Rabiot who was not fit in the 2nd leg, Emery for his poor preparation, the criminal Lucas Moura and the fearful Thiago Silva who made the team play very low), Manchester City semi-final (team tired, lack of inspiration, coach Laurent Blanc who used a tactical system 3-5-2 for the 1st time in the 2nd leg by fear...)

5. Buffon and myself share the same understanding of Football :cool:

Buffon: ‘Verratti Italy’s only talent’
“Marco is an incredible player, at this moment he’s the only real talent of Italian football in terms of how he plays the game, the quality of his touch and the way he sees the game.

“When he plays with normal players he can struggle because they don’t understand him, sometimes those who are too good struggle to be understood by others.

“Here, Marco is lucky to play alongside great players who are immediately able to understand where the ball will go and where they want it so you see that all his moves are facilitated.”

https://www.football-italia.net/128551/buffon-‘verratti-italy’s-only-talent’

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I know I know, its hard to discuss quality if they don't play in 2 or 3 countries reading some posts.
Since last summer and the boring discussions about Neymar, I no longer try to convince. I just give my opinion.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
While a lot of players like Neymar, Luis Suarez were not amazing at Barcelona...
Another one who's missed the original point I made :boring:
Veratti isn't a great player just because Barca were after him, he's decent but not great.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I have seen this guy play astonishingly little throughout the years, considering how long and how much he has been talked about as a great player. When I have seen him play, he hasn't impressed me at all and I haven't seen what makes him so much talked about. Maybe that is the injuries fault.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Another one who's missed the original point I made :boring:
Veratti isn't a great player just because Barca were after him, he's decent but not great.
In fact, I had fully understood your original point :devil:

Illustration vs Explanation!

Trizy

Ya. Thiago-level player who never realised the best in the world in his position potential he once had.
That's the first name that popped into my head when reading the title.

Maybe because they were small, technically advances for their age and came into the game looking silky that they stood out.

I recall Wilshere had massive potential who was a midfielder with the same build as those two. Didn't work out too well for him. Time will tell, though.

Mcking

Arrgh so three years later, Verratti is now Fred, overrated, never being good enough.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
@Ecstatic good post, though Pirlo was more than just long passes, and he only played a back 3 for juve and briefly italy under Prandelli at the world cup. Pirlo was actually very similar to Verratti, just better. But a player like that is once a decade, it is unfair to expect Verratti to be that good

Also, Verratti's dad drives around Manoppello like Balotelli in Manchester :lol:. Good man though, offered me(and another like 20 people in the bar) a beer once :D does it all the time too apparently, he's like the mayor of the town now :lol:

And after Verratti brought Zlatan there, they began gathering and cultivating mushrooms because Zlatan loves mushrooms apparently. Basically, Verratti is king, his family is king, and Zlatan is God over there now :lol:

::sonny::

Growth isnt exponentially. Just because you're 19 doesnt mean you'll keep on growing, each player has their own ceiling
This

Many players are phenomenal at 16/17/18/19 yo and then stop to grow

The growth of a player is not exponential in the 99.9% of the cases (see Rashford, Weigl, Sanches, Rabiot, Gotze, Santon, De Sciglio, Dolberg, Fisher...)

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Ecstatic good post, though Pirlo was more than just long passes, and he only played a back 3 for juve and briefly italy under Prandelli at the world cup. Pirlo was actually very similar to Verratti, just better. But a player like that is once a decade, it is unfair to expect Verratti to be that good

Also, Verratti's dad drives around Manoppello like Balotelli in Manchester :lol:. Good man though, offered me(and another like 20 people in the bar) a beer once :D does it all the time too apparently, he's like the mayor of the town now :lol:

And after Verratti brought Zlatan there, they began gathering and cultivating mushrooms because Zlatan loves mushrooms apparently. Basically, Verratti is king, his family is king, and Zlatan is God over there now :lol:
:lol:

1. Of course! I just meant that contrary to Pirlo, Marco is less influential and inspiring offensively.

2. I'm not surprised because Zlatan was his mentor! And he left his former agent to work Mino Raiola.