Is Marco Verratti's star fading?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Rated as one of the hottest prospects in the game a few years ago and one of the most coveted players out there. 'Un-trasferable' given the team who he plays for, but he rarely gets mentioned in the same way he used to and it doesn't seem like he's kicked on at all from his younger days.

Is this guy going to burst back into life and the footballing consciousness, or is he going to go on being a relatively middling player who never realises the potential everyone was so high on just a couple of seasons ago?

Do you still rate him as you once did, or has he got a lot to prove before you'll put him in the top bracket for his potion?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
From the small amount I have seen him this season, he does look sharper than he has last year (looked like he was going backwards) but not a regular watcher of PSG.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Ya. Thiago-level player who never realised the best in the world in his position potential he once had.

izec

He is still great, only 25. I expect him to kick on under Tuchel. His laissez faire lifestyle and injuries havent helped, but i also think he should be having his best years now in the near future.

Devil may care

He's stalled and still has rash immaturity on the pitch in heated situations, I don't see him getting better playing in Ligue 1, I find it an entertaining league but PSG are so dominant that he's not really challenged and he needs that to progress IMO.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Always injured. Just like Thiago

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
Always injured. Just like Thiago
Dunno about Verratti, but that thing about Thiago being always injured is a huge myth. The last 3 seasons, he never played less than 30 games and his average amount of games played is 38.

In his first two seasons at Bayern, he was always injured, but that's not the case anymore.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He's been injured too too much recently. PSG and Italy haven't done too well internationally either hence the lower hype but he's still got it.

Kapardin

He was always overrated on the internet. Never saw coaches and clubs falling over to sign him. Decent but not the world beater he was made out to be.

el3mel

He was overrated a little bit. Can't help playing in a league with zero competition either.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He plays for two teams with a very low ceiling.
PSG play in France, not a huge platform. Italy are proper shit.
He needs a bigger stage.

stepic

if he's not making noises in France, why do people think he would make bigger noises in a more competitive league?

Canagel

Barcelona wanted him not too long ago right? He's still only 25 and central midfielders don't peak until 28-31 so he's still got plenty of time.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Still rate him, but seriously need to challenge himself better in higher level league.

His growth is stalling there.
And again these "farmer league" comments. Verratti is stalling mainly because of his injuries preventing him from playing a lot of important games. Bayern and Juventus proved every year that players can improve even when a team is dominating its league. On top of that, French clubs will get a big budget boost next year with the new TV rights deal.

Barca also signed Paulinho, Gomes and Turan in the past few years, Barca 'wanting' someone is hardly a barometer these days...
Yes because no club ever makes poor signings.

They've also signed very good players in the last year Dembele, Lenglet, Coutinho and Arthur.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
It's hard to judge him at PSG. For Italy his career is very forgettable - didn't qualify in 2018, was injured in 2016 and knocked out of the group stages in 2014. One good tournament and he'll be running things for Barca after.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He’s a great player, just flying under the radar because the teams he plays for aren’t doing very well. Italy have been crap and PSG are yet to leave a mark in the Champions League.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Yes because no club ever makes poor signings.

They've also signed very good players in the last year Dembele, Lenglet, Coutinho and Arthur.
That's my point :lol:
Just because Barca wanted him, doesn't mean he's a brilliant player...

RooneyLegend

Amazing player, plays in a forgettable league and team and for the type of player he is, it's hard to grab headlines. Doesn't help that he's playing in a hopeless Italian side.

James Peril

Verratti is a great player, his reputation has been ruined by injuries and thus lack of playing time. Stable form and matches over the next year and he’ll back in the frame. Would literally go straight into all teams in the world, the only exception being Real Madrid.

mu4c_20le

He needs to leave the comfort zone known as PSG, where he'll always be overshadowed by the big price tags.

I don't think he's necessarily stalled too much from what I have seen. He is just playing in a team that dominate their league so much he doesn't get chance to show off some of his qualities. He's the sort of player who can take control of a game and dictate things, but it's hard to do that when the whole team is in total control from minute 1.

He could certainly do with being tested more in a bigger league but most of it is down to fewer people caring about him anymore. If he was on a big stage week in week out it might be different.

Web of Bissaka

And again these "farmer league" comments. Verratti is stalling mainly because of his injuries preventing him from playing a lot of important games. Bayern and Juventus proved every year that players can improve even when a team is dominating its league. On top of that, French clubs will get a big budget boost next year with the new TV rights deal.
Okay, I can see why you get offended, it's the club you supported after all.

Players can get injuries and still improve their game.
Anyway, his number of appearances last season is still roughly the same with the season before that, so what's with this "he's injured" card being played here?
The last time he was given huge hype is around season 16/17. Last season, not so much. Prior to that, saw how he played in the league and CL - he's impressive alright. Since then I see no improvements. Just the same Verratti. Of course, unlike United, I don't watch too much of PSG game, so can't give a better assessment.

Schneckerl

It seems to me that in every big PSG game he is either injured or plays absolutely terrible, but that might be selective memory.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The arrogance displayed here to other leagues is something else.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It seems to me that in every big PSG game he is either injured or plays absolutely terrible, but that might be selective memory.
Well now....he was great away at barcelona in 14, dominated the game at the bridge against chelsea in '15, was fantastic again in the first leg against barcelona in '17(was injured in 15/16 pretty much all season). It's only last season against us that he was disappointing in both games

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Well now....he was great away at barcelona in 14, dominated the game at the bridge against chelsea in '15, was fantastic again in the first leg against barcelona in '17(was injured in 15/16 pretty much all season). It's only last season against us that he was disappointing in both games
Barcelona away in 2017 too. But he clearly isn't the pathetic player mentioned here. Not Italy is the hopeless side they mention here, probably they don't even know what kind of players they have been playing lately.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Was pretty good in the first game imo (Lo Celso was a weak link). The second tie you put the most convincing game in the knockout stages and most of your attention went to him as Neymar was out. Him going all in and getting a red card when it was over didn't help, but he was far from bad I think.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Okay, I can see why you get offended, it's the club you supported after all.

Players can get injuries and still improve their game.
Anyway, his number of appearances last season is still roughly the same with the season before that, so what's with this "he's injured" card being played here?
The last time he was given huge hype is around season 16/17. Last season, not so much. Prior to that, saw how he played in the league and CL - he's impressive alright. Since then I see no improvements. Just the same Verratti. Of course, unlike United, I don't watch too much of PSG game, so can't give a better assessment.
I don't get offended by your comments about Verratti, it's normal not to know all the players from other clubs as well as you know Man Utd's. I juste have a very hard time hearing over and over again that Ligue 1 is a farmers league or an easy league. Yes the level isn't as high as it is in england or spain, that's obvious but it's not that poor, especially defensively.

Verratti has been playing with pubalgia for a couple of years now and has been in and out ever since. One side was operated 2 years ago and the other side last summer, we all hope it will give him the consistency he needs to reach the next level because when he's in shape, he really is a splendid player. His main issue is the fact that he never shoots and wouldn't even if his life depended on it.

Reactions: Invictus

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Surprised Juventus or Inter Milan haven't made a big play for him. I reckon PSG would let him go if they got word Pobga wanted to join.