Is Marco Verratti's star fading?

el3mel

It's really shame he will probably never be remembered post retirement. All he won are some French leagues and cups.

Such player should be playing in Real, Barca or Premier League.

RoyH1

The french league is improving, all it lacks is the investment in clubs other than PSG and that is now happening with Marseille, Paris FC and others.

I agree it would be better to see him in a more challenging league but maybe life away from the field is just as or more important for him as it was for Di Maria.

Either way Italians don't really take to other leagues that well, France and maybe Germany being the exceptions.

For richer folk the lure is magnetic but at more modest income levels the rest of France is much better, with Lyon and Toulouse as excellent alternatives.
Agree. Toulouse is an amazing city and the south of France towards the Pyrenees is beautiful. And the weather is nice too

kidbob

Watching him last night and he is exactly the type of player that we need beside Pogba in midfield. Incredible talent. Was also very impressed with Auoar although he looks a different type of player.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Watching him last night and he is exactly the type of player that we need beside Pogba in midfield. Incredible talent. Was also very impressed with Auoar although he looks a different type of player.
Aouar has a great potential but he has big consistency issues.

KeanoMagicHat

Not every player needs to play in 2 or 3 leagues, if Mbappe won two World Cups and a few Champions Leagues he wouldn't have wasted his career. At the end of a career, most European players have their careers judged by Champions League and international tournament performances, not league performances. Verratti has put in some great PSG performances in the Champions League but injuries and the odd poor performance along with the rest of his team haven't helped.

E-mal

I think Pogba himself needs to be the kind of player we need in midfield. Am his biggest fan but he needs to keep it more simple and sort out the concentration and sloppiness issues.
Perhaps now that he won't be the only creative hub of the team next season will calm him down.
Yeah, Verrati will make us perhaps the best midfield in the world.
Imagine having Verrati, Pogba and Grealish in games we need to keep the ball especially pressing teams, we'd destroy them to shreds.

el3mel

Not every player needs to play in 2 or 3 leagues, if Mbappe won two World Cups and a few Champions Leagues he wouldn't have wasted his career. At the end of a career, most European players have their careers judged by Champions League and international tournament performances, not league performances. Verratti has put in some great PSG performances in the Champions League but injuries and the odd poor performance along with the rest of his team haven't helped.
That's the problem. Mbappe is still young and has long career ahead of him beside he won stuff with France. Verrati is 27 now, his national team is currently not good enough and has won nothing in his career bar French domestic trophies, and PSG are used to bottling it in CL. If this remained the same till he retires, he will be completely forgotten.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's always the same nonsense, if you're not playing in England or at Barcelona/Real Madrid, you're wasting your career. I'm glad Veratti is happy in Paris and staying put, he's a great player despite some of his flaws in his temper, but for me it'd be a much bigger accomplishment for him to win a CL there than winning it for the usual suspects.

That's the problem. Mbappe is still young and has long career ahead of him beside he won stuff with France. Verrati is 27 now, his national team is currently not good enough and has won nothing in his career bar French domestic trophies, and PSG are used to bottling it in CL. If this remained the same till he retires, he will be completely forgotten.
He won't be forgotten in Paris, especially if he's part of the team that will win its first CL, who cares what the rest of the world thinks? The national team is just going through a rough stretch, he wouldn't be the first great player to get nothing done on the international stage.

el3mel

It's always the same nonsense, if you're not playing in England or at Barcelona/Real Madrid, you're wasting your career. I'm glad Veratti is happy in Paris and staying put, he's a great player despite some of his flaws in his temper, but for me it'd be a much bigger accomplishment for him to win a CL there than winning it for the usual suspects.

He won't be forgotten in Paris, especially if he's part of the team that will win its first CL, who cares what the rest of the world thinks? The national team is just going through a rough stretch, he wouldn't be the first great player to get nothing done on the international stage.
Well, of course he won't be forgotten if his team wins CL. Will they though ? If he finished his career with only French domestic trophies, would anyone actually remember him ?

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Well, of course he won't be forgotten if his team wins CL. Will they though ? If he finished his career with only French domestic trophies, would anyone actually remember him ?
He'd be remembered in his league for how long he's been here, winning domestically, but outside probably not, especially the way Italy has been. As whether he will win the CL, it' will happen eventually, PSG just can't keep bottling it forever....

.....r-right?

el3mel

He'd be remembered in his league for how long he's been here, winning domestically, but outside probably not, especially the way Italy has been. As whether he will win the CL, it' will happen eventually, PSG just can't keep bottling it forever....

.....r-right?
:D :D :D

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Falcão is remembered as one of the greatest midfielders of all time by those who watched him, despite never winning one of the major trophies. It hardly matters that the people who didn't watch him don't think that highly of him. At the end of the day it's just superficial fame.

Yagami

Good post resistant
If he retired now I think I'd always remember him because he's been one of my favourite midfielders to watch. Same with Pastore now who spent his prime in France.

Serious question : is there a midfielder more pressure-resistant than Marco Verratti?
Quit smoking and drinking little owl, you're one of the most talented players in the world.

I think Arthur is the only one in his league in this regard right now. If Grealish gets his wish in getting consistent game time as a central midfielder I'd put him with them, too.

Three who aren't far behind are Sofyan Amrabat, Matheus Henrique and Leo Sena. Amrabat especially.

Jaxa

Having been there I don’t see the lure of Paris as a place to live, I really don’t. But each to their own.
Well there's something called Paris Syndrome for a reason, it flatters to deceive, ironically like PSG to be honest.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
If he retired now I think I'd always remember him because he's been one of my favourite midfielders to watch. Same with Pastore now who spent his prime in France.

I think Arthur is the only one in his league in this regard right now. If Grealish gets his wish in getting consistent game time as a central midfielder I'd put him with them, too.

Three who aren't far behind are Sofyan Amrabat, Matheus Henrique and Leo Sena. Amrabat especially.
The players you mention have the same kind of abilities yes but Verratti has this craziness in what he attempts that you don't find anywhere else. The closest I see is Messi (even if he's not a midfielder) because they both handle the ball the same way (with very short touches, body protection and sudden turns).

Most of his coaches get very nervous at first because he takes insane risks. The funny thing is, i've probably watched all his games with PSG and I think that he only had 1 turnover that ended up in a goal throughout hundreds of games. Its just ridiculous.

Yagami

Good post resistant
The players you mention have the same kind of abilities yes but Verratti has this craziness in what he attempts that you don't find anywhere else. The closest I see is Messi (even if he's not a midfielder) because they both handle the ball the same way (with very short touches, body protection and sudden turns).

Most of his coaches get very nervous at first because he takes insane risks. The funny thing is, i've probably watched all his games with PSG and I think that he only had 1 turnover that ended up in a goal throughout hundreds of games. Its just ridiculous.
Like you say in regards to his turnover stat, he definitely is the most effective. I wouldn't argue about him being the outright best in this regard because he is incredible, and the only CM I have close to him right now in Arthur does lose the ball cheaply sometimes despite being world class at resisting pressure himself unlike Verratti.

Your points about "body protection and sudden turns" are always a big factor in how I judge a player under pressure, too. The midfielders I previously mentioned are brilliant at positioning their body inbetween the ball and the opposition, meaning the only way to get near them is by fouling, and they're very effective with their 180/360 turns to spin away from an opposition player. Those two things are some of my favourite things to see in a midfielder which is why I'm a fan of the aforementioned players.

sport2793

You understimate the joy, comraderie and feeling of belonging that comes from living in a diverse place like Paris and moreso France. More nationalities settle in France than any other part of Europe with Italians being a large portion of those.

In any case the club he is at currently pays him more than any italian club could and they are currently bigger than any italian club as well.
Umm, Juventus would beg to differ. Also, PSG have no history.

Blood Mage

Great player but he hasn't quite fulfilled his insane potential IMO, not that I wouldn't have him here in a heartbeat mind. I think Tonali will surpass him as the best Italian midfielder soon and will have a better career.

Last edited:

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
No club has history until they do. Should he play for Nottingham forest because they have history? And supporters like me who follow this club for 20+ years would beg to differ, every club has history, maybe not written in shiny letters as C1 winners but sill, please don't insult millions of supporters all over the world who support a club that didn't win the champions league by saying they have no history.

Juventus is at the end of a cycle and it might take them years to rebuild. In the short term he'll play with a better team at PSG.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Great player but he hasn't quite fulfilled his insane potential IMO, not that I wouldn't have him here in a heartbeat mind. I think Tonali will surpass him as the best Italian midfielder soon and will have a better career.
Italy (and spain lately) have dozens of players that were supposed to be great and never reached the next level, Tonali is still miles away from Verratti's level. He looks promising of course but there's still a very long road. It's true that Marco didn't have a spectacular progression though, he was already a genious at 19 and didn't improve as much as we wanted him to.

Jackal981

No club has history until they do. Should he play for Nottingham forest because they have history? And supporters like me who follow this club for 20+ years would beg to differ, every club has history, maybe not written in shiny letters as C1 winners but sill, please don't insult millions of supporters all over the world who support a club that didn't win the champions league by saying they have no history.

Juventus is at the end of a cycle and it might take them years to rebuild. In the short term he'll play with a better team at PSG.
I mean your club only got this far because some human right abuser decide to play FM in real life.

Clermontois

Supports
France
They can beg all they like PSG is bigger than them in today's game. In addition I suspect Juventus has won one of its last titles for some time.

I mean your club only got this far because some human right abuser decide to play FM in real life.
If you cannot disprove their point then attack from another angle, on the topic of FM that is a poor tired tactic mate.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
You do realize that PSG existed before 2010 right? That it was a very good team in the 90's with players like Ginola, Rai, Weah. Also Anelka, Ronalinho, Susic, Pauleta, Djorkaef Dahleb, Valdo, Fernandez, Roche etc.
Don't confuse "history" with your lack of knowledge of european football.

Also, I don't think i need to remind you that the Glazer family held fundraisers for Trump's campaign, and he really isn't that fond of human rights himself. A club is bigger than his owners.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Actually the club got further in Europe, which is probably what someone like you is only judging them on, prior to the takeover...but why bother, you don't even know what you're talking about and just repeating the same nonsense you heard other people say.

sport2793

They can beg all they like PSG is bigger than them in today's game. In addition I suspect Juventus has won one of its last titles for some time.
Hasn't Juventus made a CL final relatively recently? Has PSG ever made a CL final?

ReallyUSA

If you cannot disprove their point then attack from another angle, on the topic of FM that is a poor tired tactic mate.
No they are not. What is your measurement?

Suedesi

You understimate the joy, comraderie and feeling of belonging that comes from living in a diverse place like Paris and moreso France. More nationalities settle in France than any other part of Europe with Italians being a large portion of those.

In any case the club he is at currently pays him more than any italian club could and they are currently bigger than any italian club as well.
PSG is smaller than Milan, Juve and Inter.

Paywise Inter and Juve could pay on par with PSG - but they are unwilling to do so (considering the hefty transfer fee he'd command).

Anyways, you're talking bollocks - PSG is a mercenary outfit, pure and simple. People go there to get paid.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain

Paywise Inter and Juve could pay on par with PSG - but they are unwilling to do so (considering the hefty transfer fee he'd command).

Anyways, you're talking bollocks - PSG is a mercenary outfit, pure and simple. People go there to get paid.
You do realize those players would get paid similar anywhere in the world, right?

Clermontois

Supports
France
Hasn't Juventus made a CL final relatively recently? Has PSG ever made a CL final?
You can bank on this, PSG will make more finals going forward than Juventus.

No they are not. What is your measurement?
Spoken like a statistician but I do not need measurements.

Both teams dominate locally, but PSG have greater talent in their team at the moment and always seem to be able to attract more top tier players. If not for their tough draws in the past couple ucl competitions they would have made it further than Juventus but if they do not win this year I see them being serious contenders next year. Their team is now maturing together with the right amount of youth and experience.

In terms of history I can agree, currently in football though PSG are heavyweights while those italian teams are either on the wane or threading water.

Funny you should say that seeing as how the same history people speak about with respect to Italian teams was during a team when they had most of the money in football. Italian football is on the wane and has been for sometime mate, jog on.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
Meh, sure he is a good player, but the fact of the matter is that he has been a liability for PSG in big matches, getting sent off because he cant keep his mouth shut to the refs.
When the going gets rough, not a player i would rely on.

Jackal981

You do realize that PSG existed before 2010 right? That it was a very good team in the 90's with players like Ginola, Rai, Weah. Also Anelka, Ronalinho, Susic, Pauleta, Djorkaef Dahleb, Valdo, Fernandez, Roche etc.
Don't confuse "history" with your lack of knowledge of european football.

Also, I don't think i need to remind you that the Glazer family held fundraisers for Trump's campaign, and he really isn't that fond of human rights himself. A club is bigger than his owners.
Yeah just like countless other clubs who had “history” but won nothing. You lot are nothing special without those oil money. Heck you are not even located in Paris. If we are talking about OL, Marseille, yes the got history. Even your “superior” owners wanted to wash PSG history prior their takeover. Where are your club legends nowaday eh ? Pauleta ? Whats the relevance with Glazer ? United was already a big club long ago without them, but your club is nothing without those Arab money.

Last edited:

Gazza

Where does this idea come from that PSG are “European heavyweights”, as the poster above said? I may be wrong but have they even got to the semis of the CL in recent history? I can’t be bothered to check but I don’t see PSG as heavyweights, despite the talent they have accumulated.

Jackal981

Where does this idea come from that PSG are “European heavyweights”, as the poster above said? I may be wrong but have they even got to the semis of the CL in recent history? I can’t be bothered to check but I don’t see PSG as heavyweights, despite the talent they have accumulated.
From their own delusional fans :lol: . It’s like this skinny kid who is given steroid and suddenly got buff and talking smack about their peers how he is more jacked than others and how he got superior “genes” and “hard work”

Last edited:

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
From their own delusional fans :lol: . It’s like this skinny kid who is given steroid and suddenly got buff and talking smack about their peers how he is more jacked than others and how he got superior “genes” and “hard work”
I don't like your snide remark on Captain America.

E-mal

PSG is not really a big European club in historical terms but they are pushing close to it now in terms of relevance and players draw.

Nothing has changed for me though, the French league is a shit league and it's not going to help psg develop faster as a club.
The arab guys should have invested in a better league if they wanted it bigger and faster. Unless other teams like Marseille and O'Lyon get better and competitive, PSG won't get to where they want to be.
In essence, their future seem intertwined.

Jackal981

PSG is not really a big European club in historical terms but they are pushing close to it now in terms of relevance and players draw.

Nothing has changed for me though, the French league is a shit league and it's not going to help psg develop faster as a club.
The arab guys should have invested in a better league if they wanted it bigger and faster. Unless other teams like Marseille and O'Lyon get better and competitive, PSG won't get to where they want to be.
In essence, their future seem intertwined.
Well their fans seemed content to win mickey mouse cups instead. Had the best wank when we smacked them at UCL a year ago. Their fans talked so much shite online saying this is all done etc etc.