Is Martial the best dribbler in the league?

PitTon

The difference when he runs from the left into space compared to Rashford recently is day and night. Smooth and dangerous. It seems like he reads defenders steps movement as well so even he makes a simple turns, the defenders are slow to react. Very happy to have him in this form.

Hoof the ball

He's always been the best dribbler in our front three. There's never been a time when he wasn't. Even when he wasn't in form, he was still technically the best dribbler in small spaces. There's never been a time when Rashford has had superior close dribbling skills than him. Just look at his debut goal vs. Liverpool. No one else in this team is pulling that off except him.

Josep Dowling

I would be happier if there was more end product after his silky runs. Three times he went past a couple of defenders and then scruffed his shot.

Mr PG

He's quality but lazy as hell though. Lost count how many times the ball came back from their goal and he was still taking his time getting up. Fernandes been pushing him on the pitch and getting him the ball and he looks a different player.

Raven

He's quality but lazy as hell though. Lost count how many times the ball came back from their goal and he was still taking his time getting up. Fernandes been pushing him on the pitch and getting him the ball and he looks a different player.
Lazy as hell? Leave this thread.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
What a perfect example of a dumb post. Martial drops deep to help our build-up because today our midfield was not up to par and Rashford was worse.

If I see one more idiotic Martial post, I might seriously start asking for the games people have watched.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Well he's had 5 years of evidence, yet still managed to reach the wrong conclusion. I doubt one game is going to change anything.
Yeah, let’s pretend Martial has played like this for the past 5 years.

yfoFC

What's lazy is this tag that people heap on players and then refuse to drop it even in the face of contrary evidence.

It's borderline disrespectful at this point.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Tonight was how I recall his dribbling in his first season. I think he had lost that ability a bit in more recent seasons. In his first 12 months I literally wanted him to run at the defender every time he got the ball
Yup. LVG Martial level. Difference is, this is through the middle, which is infinitely harder and thus more impressive.

Glorio

Your insight is the only thing lazy as "hell".

Glorio

What's lazy is this tag that people heap on players and then refuse to drop it even in the face of contrary evidence.

It's borderline disrespectful at this point.
Or ironically, just lazy

This be fair, it's been a long time since I heard anyone refer to Martial as lazy. Definitely not since the turn of the year. Someone obviously needs to give their head a wobble

Chief123

He’s not even the best dribbler in our front 3
Absolutely staggered at your comment. For you to think Rashford or Greenwood are better dribblers than Martial is pretty bamboozling.

Martials dribbling ability is not even in question compared to those two.

I'm surprised some think Rashford has better dribbling than Martial. Rashford's close control dribbling is very infrequent to the point you wouldn't even call it close control dribbling. He is good at knocking it past a player and attacking spaces. This is very different to true dribbling in the essence of running with the ball at your feet as opposed to a knock it and run approach.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I already did.

Nah. He looks much improved this season, but until Ole managed him better he’d been in a sulk since 2016.
Then how do you explain Martial being the one to almost singlehandedly keep José in a job? If he was sulking, which he wasn't, he wouldn't have performed the way he did.

2 man midfield

I didn't see it, would you mind recapping?
Greenwood, from what we’ve seen so far, is more dangerous with his dribbling. He runs at people at speed, eats up space, does step overs, commits defenders and even scores goals at the end of it. His goals against Sheffield United for example.

Martial has good close control but is too slow with it. He does everything from a standing start. I’m not saying martial is a bad dribbler at all, quite the opposite. All I’m saying is I prefer to watch someone like Greenwood take someone on at speed than martial. It’s more exciting.
Absolutely staggered at your comment. For you to think Rashford or Greenwood are better dribblers than Martial is pretty bamboozling.

Martials dribbling ability is not even in question compared to those two.

I'm surprised some think Rashford has better dribbling than Martial. Rashford's close control dribbling is very infrequent to the point you wouldn't even call it close control dribbling. He is good at knocking it past a player and attacking spaces. This is very different to true dribbling in the essence of running with the ball at your feet as opposed to a knock it and run approach.
I never said Rashford was better? I’d have him third out of all of them, quite a way behind Greenwood and Martial.

2 man midfield

Then how do you explain Martial being the one to almost singlehandedly keep José in a job? If he was sulking, which he wasn't, he wouldn't have performed the way he did.
He’s still a good player, even when throwing a moody. I’m not claiming he was the new Bebe before Ole got here, but he’s jumped up a level and benefitted from a different coaching approach. That’s reflected in his form. Hardly controversial.

Yagami

Good post resistant
He’s still a good player, even when throwing a moody. I’m not claiming he was the new Bebe before Ole got here, but he’s jumped up a level and benefitted from a different coaching approach. That’s reflected in his form. Hardly controversial.
When given game time under José he performed just as well. That's why so many were calling for him to play more and, surprise, surprise, just like under van Gaal, he delivers with consistent game time.

2 man midfield

When given game time under José he performed just as well. That's why so many were calling for him to play more and, surprise, surprise, just like under van Gaal, he delivers with consistent game time.
He didn’t. He looks like a different player now.