Is Matic a big reason why we can't build attacks?

Denis' cuff

Smalling and Lindelof are at it also, Passing the ball across the Backline and back to De Gea. I wouldn't put all the blame on Matic either, The midfielders in front of him should be moving into space to take a pass. There seems to be a big hole in the middle of the field in every game.
Seems to be a problem throughout

I wonder if Matic has just played too much football over the past couple of years? Maybe just a decent break. Not as young as he was but not exactly ancient either.

Johan07

Matic should be dropped if Mourinho continues trying to play with a higher back-four. Its that simple. He is not mobile enough for that and it is taking its toll on his body having to actually run from time to time in defence.
He is still an very good player at DM if we would go back to sitting extremely low.
What freaks me out is Mourinho playing him as a #8 with Fellaini at #6 as he has a couple of times this year, City the latest experiment. Its not his fault obviously, but htf Mourinho is thinking there I have no clue....

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Matic should be dropped if Mourinho continues trying to play with a higher back-four. Its that simple. He is not mobile enough for that and it is taking its toll on his body having to actually run from time to time in defence.
He is still an very good player at DM if we would go back to sitting extremely low.
What freaks me out is Mourinho playing him as a #8 with Fellaini at #6 as he has a couple of times this year, City the latest experiment. Its not his fault obviously, but htf Mourinho is thinking there I have no clue....
Yeah, because he was so great at doing that against City :houllier:

Honestly the guy is living off reputation alone at the moment. If he wasn't Jose's best buddy he would have been dropped weeks ago.

Foxbatt

We should be more worried about our lack of defending than building attacks. This is where this season we are having major problems. So is it due to Matic that our defence is so bad this season may be more appropriate.

Bearded One

Yes im more concerned about his contrubution to our defensive solidity than I am about his contributions going forward.

Nikelesh Reddy

Yes im more concerned about his contrubution to our defensive solidity than I am about his contributions going forward.
This.Hes been all over the place defensively....And no,he’s not the main reason why we can’t build attacks.Our Centre backs are hopeless at bringing the ball out from the back.If your centre backs can’t pass the ball forward,then that’s obviously a huge handicap...

Bobski

Matic at the moment is looking a key reason for many of our failings. It seems somewhat unfair to shift the scapegoating so largely to one individual but he is not effective in any aspect of the game at the moment other than retention of the ball. Rarely plays a penetrative pass(credit to that rare one yesterday that martial ended up handling) and defensively is causing so many problems in transitions.

One of the main arguments last season was that our CB's were forcing us to play deep, there might be some truth there but Matic has to take much of the blame for that as well. This season, at least Utd are trying to press more and get numbers forward but it is really exposing how poor he is trying to make recovery runs when out of position. Makes it obvious that he can't play in that DM role unless it is in a team sitting deep and compact and unless he expands the creative side of his game is there any other use for him?

jmaggio

José obviously sticks with him as he is a big manly man and had “cajones” and isn’t a snowflake like the most of the rest of our squad who spend more time planning their next Instagram PR post than concentrating on their defensive positioning or when they will play their next long ball for lukaku to boot into touch.

Needs to be shipped off Rooney style.