Is Matic ruffling Ole's feathers | Starting counter-attacks like a boss

Alabaster Codify7

This 100%

I'll go one further. He's a prick. Honestly, I think he's a prick of a bloke.

He came here on big money and big wages and has spent the vast majority of his time here looking gormless and ineffective while also posturing in the media like 'he deserves better' than he was he's been served. I have always read into his facial expressions during games like he feels he's underperforming rather than performing at his current level and disappointing people. Like "oh if only I was X. I'd show you all". He's a complete non entity of a player tha sways around the pitch like he's 'giving the lads some effort' before his next big move. He's a tosser, I've never warmed to him as a personality and he isn't fit to lac the boots of players we have once had in his position OLDER than he is right now.

Fraud of a midfielder since we signed him. Who somehow believes he's just biding his time.

Monkey bus

Squad player until the end of the season. We’re still in all competitions and the battle for top 4 will mean we need as many midfielders available as someone will get injured.
He’s also one of very few trophy winning players in our squad.
Replace in the summer then offload.

Withnail

Ok he doesn't hit many long sweeping passes and no not too sexy. However most of them are short, forward and they find the right address and create openings. Like opening a can of pees if you like. How many times does Fred pass the ball sideways for example. Get my point?
Matic creates opening with his accurate forward passing?

More like slows the whole thing down and allows the opposition to get their defence set.

You're having a laugh mate

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.

He came here on big money and big wages and has spent the vast majority of his time here looking gormless and ineffective while also posturing in the media like 'he deserves better' than he was he's been served. I have always read into his facial expressions during games like he feels he's underperforming rather than performing at his current level and disappointing people. Like "oh if only I was X. I'd show you all". He's a complete non entity of a player tha sways around the pitch like he's 'giving the lads some effort' before his next big move. He's a tosser, I've never warmed to him as a personality and he isn't fit to lac the boots of players we have once had in his position OLDER than he is right now.

Fraud of a midfielder since we signed him. Who somehow believes he's just biding his time.
Well, he wasn't uselss his entire tenure with us, to be fair. He was very important for us in his first season and played every single match, significantly helping us make the #2 that year. But then it was over in a second. Not sure what happened to him, but starting his second year with us (still with Mourinho) he suddenly became abysmal.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Ok he doesn't hit many long sweeping passes and no not too sexy. However most of them are short, forward and they find the right address and create openings. Like opening a can of pees if you like. How many times does Fred pass the ball sideways for example. Get my point?
Not even remotely.

Thanks for trying though.

AneRu

Squad player until the end of the season. We’re still in all competitions and the battle for top 4 will mean we need as many midfielders available as someone will get injured.
He’s also one of very few trophy winning players in our squad.
Replace in the summer then offload.
Agreed keep him around until the end of the season, use him sparingly especially if we are still in the Europa and he could gain some good form and prove useful down the line. But just let him go at the end of the season.

RedTiger

Half mast

100%

POF

I think you are being a bit harsh on him but he definitely lacks any type of leadership qualities. As an experienced player, he could have a huge role in the squad helping all of the young players coming through. But he just doesn't seem to have it in him.

When people talk about the "cultural rebuild" and ensuring future signings are young hungry players with the right character, they are really saying "don't sign another Matic".

He's clearly finished at the club and will be out as soon as the club has a suitable replacement. So, he's probably looking good for a testamonial at this stage.

Pughnichi

you do know Matic is the big tall one that invariably knocks it straight back to any of the back 4.

At the Alkmaar game even there was so many instances when he could have taken his touch GOT HIS HEAD UP and realised that actually he could have moved forward or (wait for it) pass the thing forward.

Such a frustrating player. And to add, for adefensive midfielder he’s lacking in that department as well. How many times have we seen and read on here it was Matic jogging gently and not tracking his runner

but hey, he scored a blooter against palace so that’ll prob mean a 3 yr contract extension in Ed’s book.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
In talks over a new contract. I wanted him gone for a while but there's no denying that he has been very good for most parts this season. Hopefully it's a case of him being back in form after a prolonged and much needed break from football rather than just raising his game for a new deal.

cyberman

Hes gone from backwards passing to really driving the ball forward in tight spaces.
Maybe Scott has inspired him since thats what he excels at.

One of the few who deserves a new deal. McTom has come on leaps and bounds but Matic still offers much quality on the ball and can be a better option at times, usually against lesser opposition as Scott is brilliant in the big games. A midfield squad of Matic, Fred, McTominay, Pogba, Fernandes actually looks rather healthy.

If Pogba likely leaves in the Summer, that money should be reinvested to get in Matic's long term successor.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
He's inconsistent and his legs are gone but he's still a good midfield option and the best DM we have. I wouldn't be opposed to giving him another year or two, we're not going to fix our shambolic midfield in one summer window anyway.

davidmichael

I wouldn’t give Matic an entire new deal seeing as we have the option to extend his stay by a year so I’d rather we just did that, it seems players for us (Rashford apart) excel leading into getting a new contract then revert to type.

I'd still like us to sign a couple more midfielders in the summer once Pogba is gone with one being a pure defensive midfielder and the other a playmaker which I think added to McTominay, Fred, Matic and Garner leaves us well stocked in midfield for the first time in years.

norm87cro

Nope. He's fallen out of favour for sure and because of injuries he has started. And unlike some he is at least acting like a professional

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He's inconsistent and his legs are gone but he's still a good midfield option and the best DM we have. I wouldn't be opposed to giving him another year or two, we're not going to fix our shambolic midfield in one summer window anyway.
Yes. I've been pleasantly surprised with his form since he's come back in this season and he's no longer a player I would frogmarch out of the squad. If he's here for a couple more years that's no problem, but I want to see the midfield being strengthened even if Pogba stays this summer. I don't see Matic forming part of a top quality midfield again, and that must be what we're aspiring to create from here.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
This was the most obvious thing ever. We always do this. He’s not good enough and needs replacing, but it’s so much easier to just give him a new contract and not sign anybody.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We are actually signing someone and giving him a new contract after he's shown what he can still offer :lol:
What he can still offer isn’t good enough. If we want to stay where we are, sure.

Fernandes’ signing has nothing to do with our defensive midfield.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
This was the most obvious thing ever. We always do this. He’s not good enough and needs replacing, but it’s so much easier to just give him a new contract and not sign anybody.
That would be unacceptable, and I don't think anyone is arguing otherwise. However for now it's clear that we're better off keeping him going into 2020/21 than getting rid in summer or even this month, which many including myself would have considered three or four months ago.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
In a young and erratic team, he has often been the calming influence and one of the players who is more comfortable on the ball. He can still be an asset with legs around him. He has come in and often done really well. He was overplayed by Mourinho and run into the ground.

In the summer, a striker is needed, a right winger, another midfielder, a left back and a centre back. I would put all those positions above finding a replacement for a solid Matić.

As for outgoings, Shaw, Rojo, Jones, Pereira, Mata, Sanchez, Lingard should all be out the door before him. It’s night and day what a fit and motivated Matić contributes to what a Lingard contributes.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Fully fixing our midfield would generally mean replacing Pogba (likely to go), and getting better players in than Fred, Mata, and Matic. It's also debatable whether McT is good enough for a club wanting to compete for the PL. It's in no way achievable in one summer. We're about to spend £50m+ on one player, and someone like Grealish will likely cost £80m.

Keeping Matic is simply a sensible option right now.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Matic is a trier but giving him a new deal signals, again, that we're trying to rebuild on the cheap.

If we are serious about becoming a top team again Matic needs to be replaced by a more dynamic, more mobile, younger alternative. He's fine against teams that afford us a lot of space. However, he is very easily overrun even against middling teams just cos he can't turn quicker than a tanker these days.

Turn back the clock 10 years, 2009-10. Not a vintage year by any account but we still only came second by a point, mostly cos Bayern kicked Rooney out of the Champions League quarter finals. Among our midfield options that year were Scholes, Carrick and Fletcher. Matic is nowhere near any of those three and neither is anyone else we have. We have to improve the engine room. We cannot keep chucking big wages at players who are past their best. Its a misuse of funds.

R'hllor

From start of this thread and other threads about him to having nothing against him getting a contract, love it.

seegoblu

Matic doesn’t have a place in the first XI for a CL-competing club. The rumors of his talks with Inter as recently as December when he wasn’t playing much before McSauce’s injury suggests to me that Matic won’t be happy with a limited role.

Unless the club overpays to keep him, why would he stay?

Unless Matic wants a part time role, why would the club want to keep him?

Matic is a trier but giving him a new deal signals, again, that we're trying to rebuild on the cheap.
It doesn't at all unless you trying to fit it to your World view. We've spent 214m euros on new players since Ole took over once Fernandes is done. We have hardly any experience left in the squad, Matic is a two-time Premier League winner and has absolutely shown he still has plenty to offer.

Keeping experienced players who have things to offer isn't "proof we're trying to rebuild on the cheap", especially when we appear to be spending big on the new incoming players, we simply aren't going to replace the entire squad in 2 years and if you're expecting that then you're in for a massive let down.

ISMAIL-007

I think he's been okey the past couple of games. We should surely keep him until summer, makes zero sense to let him leave now since we know he won't be replaced.

Get rid of him in the summer and then buy DM. If bruno comes, him a new DM, Fred, Scot and Paul will be enough cover for MD. And if Pogba leaves then we'll need to use the money and buy a replacement.

We are where we are because a lot of players have left already without being properly replaced.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I updated the thread title, given a change in his general levels and the contract potential.

Red_toad

So Fellaini and Herrera gone with no replacement, so let’s get rid of Matic, as it’s so simple to replace players.

There is absolutely no point weakening the squad until we actually start replacing players.

padzilla

Hipster
A 12 month extension is reasonable given our lack of midfield alternatives. He is a useful fourth or fifth choice midfielder for the odd game during an injury crisis. He is extremely limited but we simply don't have the numbers to need yet another central player because we sold another one.

Matic doesn’t have a place in the first XI for a CL-competing club. The rumors of his talks with Inter as recently as December when he wasn’t playing much before McSauce’s injury suggests to me that Matic won’t be happy with a limited role.

Utd have an option to extend him by a year. The player doesn’t have a say in this.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Well we gave Mata a 2 year extension so I am not surprised

Maticmaker

You make a lot of valid points. Matic knew his form and fitness last season was below par, but he got himself 95% fit for this seasons start and it seemed whilst his form had improved, he was disappointed when Ole overlooked him when he was available. First Pogba's problems then McTominay's injury finally forced Ole's hand, in the meantime knowing his number was seemingly up at OT Matic looked for employment elsewhere for next season.

He has been something of a revelation in recent matches, especially his second half performance against City in the first leg of the Carabao cup, Matic's demeanour bolsters those around him, he rarely 'flaps' and although he is still not fully mobile he imparts enough wisdom and support to those around him to carry the day. What ever our results Matic and Fred's midfield partnership has looked reasonably proficient recently.

Obviously he's not the future, but he never was, Jose brought him to bolster the midfield, expecting him to last no more than one or two seasons and to pass on the benefit of his experience to such as McTominay and Garner. Matic has proved his point and potentially raised the threshold of his salary with another club (not unlike Young). I agree he probably doesn't want to stay to play some part-time 'cover' role and he will seek to move on. However Ole/club need to be very sure they have sorted everything else out in midfield before they let him move.

Somehow our past decisions suggest that might not be the case?

Sylar

A brand new contract (outside an extension for a year) would be madness from United.
So I fully expect it to happen.

We need to be careful and look at the games hes played recently:
-Burnley away he was good no doubt.
-Arsenal away United as a whole were not good enough (and he even got subbed iirc)
-0-0 dull draw with Wolves in a cup.
-The city Loss where he came on at half time after City had won the tie and somewhat stepped off - wouldnt say he was a revelation (although he should have started)
-Norwich win he was good, but it was bottom team Norwich (and whole team was good)
-1-0 win vs Wolves in the cup (thought he was good)
-Liverpool where we lost (thought Fred was our Motm anyway)
-Burnley loss (at home)
-Tranmere...

I mean im not trying to downplay him and hes got his use this season (especially with Pogba and McT injured). But is that worth a brand new contract? If hes not getting anything extra, if its for a year, if hes happy with being limited (and not going to be posting social media stuff about how he should be in the team), and if we are getting somebody else in on top, sure.

But I think its a mistake if its not with the above.

billybee99

It doesn't at all unless you trying to fit it to your World view. We've spent 214m euros on new players since Ole took over once Fernandes is done. We have hardly any experience left in the squad, Matic is a two-time Premier League winner and has absolutely shown he still has plenty to offer.

Keeping experienced players who have things to offer isn't "proof we're trying to rebuild on the cheap", especially when we appear to be spending big on the new incoming players, we simply aren't going to replace the entire squad in 2 years and if you're expecting that then you're in for a massive let down.
This is the same nonsense rational used to justify Mata's new contract. This is madness. It is amazing how the Caf can forget 2 years of crap playing when a player manages to string together a couple of good games (just go to the Lingard thread after the City game for proof of that). This is the exact kind of stupid signing we've been making for the last 6 years and all the people here endorsing it will be the same people calling Ed an idiot one year from now lead by Regulus Arcturus Black.

Nick7

He's been good recently. A one year extension is a good thing. He'll prove to be a very valuable back up.

JB7

If it's an automatic additional year then I can kind of understand it, but anything beyond that is ridiculous. He's nowhere near the standard we need.