Is Matic ruffling Ole's feathers | Starting counter-attacks like a boss

This is the same nonsense rational used to justify Mata's new contract. This is madness. It is amazing how the Caf can forget 2 years of crap playing when a player manages to string together a couple of good games
Well, except @billybee99 that unlike Mata, this is Matic 3rd season. How was generally excellent in season 1, helping us finish 2nd.

His form went to shit with the rest of the side during Mourinho's nosedive, but then picked up again and he was ever present in Ole's first 11-12 wins before getting an injury, and Ole confirmed he was playing through that injury.

Now it's season 3 and he's been decent whenever called upon.

So no, it's not the "same nonsense" at all. Matic was ready to be declared deadwood the second he signed as soon as his form took a dip, cause the caf fecking hates over 30's.

Aarron Swift

Well, except @billybee99 that unlike Mata, this is Matic 3rd season. How was generally excellent in season 1, helping us finish 2nd.

His form went to shit with the rest of the side during Mourinho's nosedive, but then picked up again and he was ever present in Ole's first 11-12 wins before getting an injury, and Ole confirmed he was playing through that injury.

Now it's season 3 and he's been decent whenever called upon.

So no, it's not the "same nonsense" at all. Matic was ready to be declared deadwood the second he signed as soon as his form took a dip, cause the caf fecking hates over 30's.
Pretty much this. We saw with Chelsea’s 2 title wins 2015 & 2017, he was vital in those title wins but as soon as he didn’t play well (along with the rest of the Chelsea side) Chelsea fans turned on his and declared him rubbish.

Very similar at United as well, his 1st season he really sured up our midfield which helped us to 2nd & 81pts by far our best league season SAF. Last season everyone was poor for the final 4 months of Jose and he came into stick for a lot of it, maybe because he’s considered a Jose player. Since then he formed good trio with Herrera & Pogba 2’d half last season & hasn’t let us down this year.

As soon as results go against us though he’ll be one of the 1st criticised, perhaps rightly but almost definitely a bit more than he actually deserves

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
You'd have to be blind not to see how important he's been in our upturn. As many have said, great to have himself and Mctominay fit together.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think he's maybe reached that stage where he shouldn't be playing more than once a week if it's avoidable like Giggs and Scholes did. In terrific form though and would be a great luxury not to be having to look for another DM in the summer if he signs in again!

tjb

If we can sign a new DM who he can rotate with ( cover really), we would be so strong in midfield. Sometimes having a good midfield is simply about having good options and letting them develop and battle into class midfielders. We go unlucky in that experiment with Anderson Fletcher and Hargreaves due to injuries and fitness issues.

"The coach must opt for the team that will fight for the title and if he does not win, he bears the responsibility..

In the first two or three games he picked the team without me,"
Matic added. "I work as hard as I can. We respect the decision, it's up to me to show him that he was wrong and to bring me back to where I belong.

"There is no problem. I told him I disagreed with him but that he had to decide the team."
Looking back at this it really does back up my posts from yesterday when posters were claiming that the management have had no choice but to play Lingard or Andreas, and "who could win with these shit players in the team". Matic was available to play until October 6th and Lingard/Andreas were preferred over him pretty much every week, thankfully Matic was brought back in from the cold after his injury break and has proven to everyone how bloody idiotic that was. Used right, he's 10 times the player Andreas or Lingard will ever be.

Matic was obviously tearing his hair out here when he made these comments, imagine being benched for Andreas and Jesse :eek:

The management bear the responsibility of winning just 2 from our first 9 games and making it a very long and difficult season. Yes they wanted to trust in youth and the academy over experience, but come the end of December and Matic was firmly back in the side and Bruno (and just any CF) were quickly made top priorities, something they clearly weren't in the Summer.

As I also said yesterday, this isn't slagging the management, as right now Ole and the other guys deserve a lot of respect for realising their mistakes (or naivety if we're being kind) and turning it around. It's actual a sign of good management to say "We we wrong on Matic, and we we wrong on Andreas/Jesse and not prioritising an AM in the Summer". It fills me with optimism that those same mistakes will not be made again. It might end up being too late for this season but I'm hopeful we'll be in much better shape when the season 2020-2021 kicks off.

ReddBalls

Looking back at this it really does back up my posts from yesterday when posters were claiming that the management have had no choice but to play Lingard or Andreas, and "who could win with these shit players in the team". Matic was available to play until October 6th and Lingard/Andreas were preferred over him pretty much every week, thankfully Matic was brought back in from the cold after his injury break and has proven to everyone how bloody idiotic that was. Used right, he's 10 times the player Andreas or Lingard will ever be.

Matic was obviously tearing his hair out here when he made these comments, imagine being benched for Andreas and Jesse :eek:

The management bear the responsibility of winning just 2 from our first 9 games and making it a very long and difficult season. Yes they wanted to trust in youth and the academy over experience, but come the end of December and Matic was firmly back in the side and Bruno (and just any CF) were quickly made top priorities, something they clearly weren't in the Summer.

As I also said yesterday, this isn't slagging the management, as right now Ole and the other guys deserve a lot of respect for realising their mistakes (or naivety if we're being kind) and turning it around. It's actual a sign of good management to say "We we wrong on Matic, and we we wrong on Andreas/Jesse and not prioritising an AM in the Summer". It fills me with optimism that those same mistakes will not be made again. It might end up being too late for this season but I'm hopeful we'll be in much better shape when the season 2020-2021 kicks off.
Lingard and Pererira are attacking players. Matic is a DM. Anyways, seems Matic needed a kick up the arse, and I'd say it paid off.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Have to admit, i thought he was a spent force, but hes been brilliant lately.

As long as he keeps this up i have no problem with us offering him an extension
Agreed. Last season at points especially under Jose I was pulling my hair out watching him. He couldn't run, couldn't pass.

I expect he was playing through an injury, as since he's had time out the team and manage to heal up he looks 10 years younger.

Perhaps it's the added competition or playing for a new deal, but he's been much, much better recently.

If you asked me this a few months ago I would have laughed at you, but i'd actually give him another 1+1 year contract.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
They were not preferred over Matic. Pogba and Mctominay was the first choice CM pair, they played 4 games together and Pogba was injured later.

So First 4 PL games - McTominay and Pogba
5th game - Leicester - McTominay and Matic
6th game - West Ham - McTominay and Matic
7th game- Arsenal - McTominay and Pogba
8th game - Newcastle - McTominay and Fred
9th game - Matic was injured for months.

Once he was back
18th game - Watford -McTominay and Fred
19th game - Newcastle - McTominay and Fred

After that Matic was regular player. At no point Pereira was ahead of Matic for CM role, he played as RW and AM. He only played as CM when we had injury crisis and no CM available.

Pogba, McTominay and Fred were ahead in the pecking order for CM role.

POF

Give it a rest. Matic was awful earlier in the season and justifiably dropped. McTominay and Fred earned their spot and whenever Matic got an opportunity he was a major downgrade. He played one game next to Garner where he should have been the senior partner guiding him through and he was utterly useless. It was such a disappointing performance.

There may have been one or two games where Pereira was selected ahead of him in central midfield but the majority of the time, Pereira was operating in the 3 of the 4-2-3-1 and his inclusion had no impact on whether Matic played or not. Lingard never played in a position Matic could have occupied this season.

Matic has picked up his form and playing next to Bruno and Fred in midfield really suits him. They have great energy and attacking quality which mixes really well with his skillset and covers his lack of mobility. Ole deserves a lot of credit for getting the best out of him, not "realising his mistake".

cyril C

If we can sign a new DM who he can rotate with ( cover really), we would be so strong in midfield. Sometimes having a good midfield is simply about having good options and letting them develop and battle into class midfielders. We go unlucky in that experiment with Anderson Fletcher and Hargreaves due to injuries and fitness issues.
Are you Conte? How many DM do we need? If Matic stays, McTom will be his backup (as well as another CMF), why do we need another DM? There will be a few addition, another DM is not our top priority right now, or at least not next season anyway.

sp_107

I am very happy that he is doing what we expected from him, it proves what a good DM can bring to the team.
Now we signed him for another 2 years and having MCT, I am wondering if we are missing great targets like Partey, Saul, Zakaria, Soumare ?
Except Saul we can get the rest for around 40-50M and that might double or more if they go to other club and excel?

PeteManic

He is a serious professional and offers stability. But he only works in a 3 with two runners.

Alabaster Codify7

This next contract is going to be Matic's last ever big contract, so he's playing for one. Either for an extension or to put himself in the shop window for a different club. I don't think he has the legs to sustain this so while I don't mind him sticking around we definitely need another CDM.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Matic looks better with legs around him. While Fred and McTominay do most of the running, he can just concentrate on shielding the space directly in front of the back 4, which has led to him looking back to his old self and has definitely contributed to us looking more solid. He's been really good lately.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
My favourite player in that team, along with Bruno and Shaw. He's a footballer. And he has intelligence.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He is a serious professional and offers stability. But he only works in a 3 with two runners.
Exactly right.
I have listened to his interviews and as you say, he is a true professional.

Our midfield is certainly better with him than without.

thepolice123

We had a poor start in the first 4 games largely because our players were fecking around with PKs, not because Pereira and Lingard were preferred over Matic. They don't even play the same position. Get over it.

If Rashford and Pogba converted their PKs it could easily been 3 wins out of 4.

Foxbatt

With Fred on form Matic can play his game. He can't play without the running of Fred. Matic is slow and gets caught in possession too. But now with Maguire behind him and Fred alongside him and Bruno in front of him he can play his game which is protecting the defense. He also steps into attack now.
But he should not play in every game.
He was crap earlier on when Jose was throwing his toys out.

tjb

Are you Conte? How many DM do we need? If Matic stays, McTom will be his backup (as well as another CMF), why do we need another DM? There will be a few addition, another DM is not our top priority right now, or at least not next season anyway.
Because we want to be better in midfield? Do you really think a starting line midfield of Fred and Mctominay for a full season is better than City or Chelsea's midfield's. One of them and a class DM would be, but not both at this moment in time. Having Fred and Mctominay rotate would be similar to us having Hargreaves/Fletcher/Scholes and Anderson rotating with Carrick sometimes resting. If we consider that Hargreaves was injured for the majority of that spell, we had Fletcher/Scholes/Anderson/Giggs playing alongside carrick for that five year window. You don't have to be conte to see how having fresh midfielders will help your team. Look at Liverpool, where ox keita and milner sometimes come in. It's called having quality depth and that is most useful when your starting xi midfield may not have the consistent quality needed to dominate week in week out, which neither Fred or Mctominay have developed yet.

Obiorahking_

I feel like Matic does this thing where in the beginning of the season he's really bad then after a run of games he's really good.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

You're comparing apples with oranges here. Might as well say he wasn't playing because Dan James was preferred over him. It proves none of these points you are trying to make.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Matic is in good form and right now we should play him in every league game. Rest him for Europe and FA Cup. Gives us the balance we need. Or we use him against the better attacking teams and rest him for the low block teams.

Last season he was getting turned way way too easily and I genuinely thought he was done at this level. Glad to be proven wrong. If we can get 2 more years out of him it will give Garner time to mature and be ready to step in full time

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
My biggest gripe about Matic, was his inability to track players making runs into our box, and I was pleased to see him covering back to stop Aguero after he had beaten Maguire on the edge of the box, plus the fact he is not an out and out DM, he does get forward and recently had those several efforts on goal (can't remember which game though), but his experience should enable him to cover the defence when required, but just give him one match a week.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He can be extremely useful, but unfortunately not for full regular 38 game run. During Jose's reign he was often depleted from energy in 2nd half of season.

I hope Ole & Ed know what they're doing in perspective of returning to Champions League for good.

Sylar

He can be extremely useful, but unfortunately not for full regular 38 game run. During Jose's reign he was often depleted from energy in 2nd half of season.

I hope Ole & Ed know what they're doing in perspective of returning to Champions League for good.
Rest and competition has helped him. Its helped a lot of our players, but Matic benefits given he doesnt have the legs for playing every minute of every game. Dont mind him staying next season (I honestly thought he was done at us). Having 3 man midfield of course helps a lot too. I really dont think 2 man midfield works with some players.

SAFMUTD

He's had a massive upturn in the last games, he seem done at the beginning of the season but its great to see he's on great shape well deserved extension. But I still feel we need to upgrade the CDM position and use him as a squad player.

cyril C

Because we want to be better in midfield? Do you really think a starting line midfield of Fred and Mctominay for a full season is better than City or Chelsea's midfield's. One of them and a class DM would be, but not both at this moment in time. Having Fred and Mctominay rotate would be similar to us having Hargreaves/Fletcher/Scholes and Anderson rotating with Carrick sometimes resting. If we consider that Hargreaves was injured for the majority of that spell, we had Fletcher/Scholes/Anderson/Giggs playing alongside carrick for that five year window. You don't have to be conte to see how having fresh midfielders will help your team. Look at Liverpool, where ox keita and milner sometimes come in. It's called having quality depth and that is most useful when your starting xi midfield may not have the consistent quality needed to dominate week in week out, which neither Fred or Mctominay have developed yet.
So you are indeed Conte, hi, how is life in Italy.

It is critical to have backup, nice to have 2nd backup, but even the almighty City does not have 2nd backup in a few position. If Matic is back, then he is no. 1 DMF. McTom is his backup. Should Pogba leave, it is more critical to get an attacking mind AMF, rather than a DMF, better to have someone with both quality but get back to earth. We need to look at our critical holes and set our priority, which hole is most urgent to fill, which is #2?

I would say Right Wing is most critical. Offload Rojo and Jones then get a decent CB, is our 2nd priority. Either permanent Ighalo or get a 3rd choice striker, might be our 3rd. Replacing Pogba should be 4th if not more urgent. As I said we can replace Pogba with a DMF but that is not my cup of tea.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Manchester United have triggered a clause to extend midfielder Nemanja Matic's contract by one year.
The 31-year-old, whose three-year contract was due to expire this summer, is also in talks with the club over lengthening the deal even further.
Matic's recent form has encouraged United to extend his stay to 2021 and the Serb could remain beyond that.
Matic has made 109 appearances for the Old Trafford club since joining from Chelsea in a £40m deal in 2017.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51925292

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Happy about this. Very well deserved. Matic has been very solid as of late. Had a moment of proper bravery when he saved Maguires bacon against Manchester City as well.

Based Adnan

Happy with this but he needs to be properly managed. No more playing every single game week in week out and being ran into the ground like we saw under Jose especially and at times under Ole.

POF

Happy with this but he needs to be properly managed. No more playing every single game week in week out and being ran into the ground like we saw under Jose especially and at times under Ole.
I wouldn't worry about that.

When everyone is fit he won't get in the team.