Is Matic ruffling Ole's feathers | Starting counter-attacks like a boss

Lingard never played in a position Matic could have occupied this season.
not because Pereira and Lingard were preferred over Matic. They don't even play the same position. Get over it.
You're comparing apples with oranges here. Might as well say he wasn't playing because Dan James was preferred over him. It proves none of these points you are trying to make.
Missed a lot of clueless posts here I see from @Bilbo @thepolice123 and @POF

I'll ask the 3 of you the same question I asked earlier. If you have: Pogba, McTominay, Matic & Lingard available to play this weekend, which 3 do you chose? or Fred, McTominay, Matic, Andreas?

Now you all know full well you play a midfield 3 without tweedle dumb or dee, but keep banging on some bollocks about "they don't even play the same position", what utter garbage.

Jezpeza

I dont rate him that much and would still sell him for any decent offer that came in. Has played a bit better recently. Suppose he is a reasonable option for cup games against tranmere etc but well down the pecking order when everyones fit or if anyone new comes in

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

I'll ask the 3 of you the same question I asked earlier. If you have: Pogba, McTominay, Matic & Lingard available to play this weekend, which 3 do you chose? or Fred, McTominay, Matic, Andreas?

Now you all know full well you play a midfield 3 without tweedle dumb or dee, but keep banging on some bollocks about "they don't even play the same position", what utter garbage.
Are you bored today RAB?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He is our only holding midfielder and when he is in right system he is very good in that role. Has good technique, he is calm and solid in protecting defense.
Personally i would love to see Fred there with Pogba and Bruno in front of him but as i said, i am happy with Matic also.

If we can afford to buy some world class dmc like Brozovic then we can use Matic as cover or even sell him. Don't forget that we will probably sell Lingard and Pereira this summer (i hope)

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

I am with you in this. Managers job is to adapt to situation. Those posts above are ridiculous. City game in League cup was best proof for that. We started with 4231 with Lingard, City destroyed us in first half and when Ole put Matic and changed it to 433 we looked like a proper team.

Art Vandelay

As a squad option I have absolutely no problem with this. He's been fine since he found form again. He just can't be part of our first choice midfield going forward as he's no longer consistent enough.

Are you bored today RAB?
Nope, just saw this at the top of the page and noticed those ridiculous replies to my post. As Andrew says....

I am with you in this. Managers job is to adapt to situation. Those posts above are ridiculous. City game in League cup was best proof for that. We started with 4231 with Lingard, City destroyed us in first half and when Ole put Matic and changed it to 433 we looked like a proper team.

Foxbatt

When everyone is fully fit it's Fred or someone else who is going to get dropped. Especially against stronger teams. Matic will play. But I hope Ole plays all 4 midfield of Bruno, Pogba, Fred and Matic and go two up front.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Nope, just saw this at the top of the page and noticed those ridiculous replies to my post. As Andrew says....
Ah yes, the old '1 person agrees so I'm definitely right' thing that only you ever seem to do on here.

You are using two different scenarios to try to prove a point. Matic then and Matic now. I've already answered in this thread that I would have Matic now in my team all day, but not the Matic that we saw before January. He was terrible. Here are some random comments from his performance thread that I didn't look too hard to find:

(From August)
He plays, we lose. Simole as that.

He is completely finished

He is so terrible, not a single player has been able to make a good partnership with him. Every player that partners him, seems to suffer because of his shitness

Anybody notice how McTominay become so much better after Matic went off?

I’d genuinely take midfielders from relegated teams over Matic right now.

(From September)
I don’t want to see him in another game for United...even in a back up capacity

Such a shadow of his former self, an ageing DM just going through the motions now

Totally past it. Started his United carreer really well but dropped off a cliff since...

Thought he wasn't bad today. Not good but not bad. He's obviously not as good as his previous best though

He should not play again. Neat and tidy but no legs or energy

This is a tiny sample from that thread. That last point in particular is key for me, and why I would have picked Lingard over him at that time. We've been fairly decent in defence all season, but poor at scoring goals and creating opportunities. I'm not suggesting for a moment that Lingard was the answer to those problems, but he & Pereira at least gave the side some energy and that was of greater benefit to that squad of players at that time.

thepolice123

Yes playing Matic will somehow make Rashford and Pogba score from their PKs. Keep grasping.

POF

It's not about "this weekend". It's about developing a squad and a culture to make United a truly elite team again in the future.

It's pretty clear that Ole spent pre season planning to bring in Bruno Fernandes to play as a 10 and, when the club failed to sign him, expected him to join in January.

He wanted a creative player in the midfield 2 (Pogba) next to a more solid defensive player (McTominay/Matic) and a hard working number 10 who would provide sufficient defensive balance. Bruno would have provided far more creativity and leadership but when they couldn't get him they needed a hard working player in that role for balance, which is why it was usually Pereira/Lingard and rarely Mata/Gomes.

On that basis, developing combinations in the midfield 2 to play in a 4-2-3-1 and making do in the number 10 role seems a reasonable option. It meant Bruno could slot straight into a team already playing a system to get the best out of him. That seems to have worked out ok.

Ole has said it multiple times. They want the right players with the right character and if those players are not available, they'll make do with what they have until they are.

At the start of the season, Matic certainly didn't seem like a player with the right character and was dropped on merit. He deserves a lot of credit for upping his game and earning his place back.

Ah yes, the old '1 person agrees so I'm definitely right' thing that only you ever seem to do on here.

You are using two different scenarios to try to prove a point. Matic then and Matic now. I've already answered in this thread that I would have Matic now in my team all day, but not the Matic that we saw before January. He was terrible. Here are some random comments from his performance thread that I didn't look too hard to find:

(From August)
He plays, we lose. Simole as that.

He is completely finished

He is so terrible, not a single player has been able to make a good partnership with him. Every player that partners him, seems to suffer because of his shitness

Anybody notice how McTominay become so much better after Matic went off?

I’d genuinely take midfielders from relegated teams over Matic right now.

(From September)
I don’t want to see him in another game for United...even in a back up capacity

Such a shadow of his former self, an ageing DM just going through the motions now

Totally past it. Started his United carreer really well but dropped off a cliff since...

Thought he wasn't bad today. Not good but not bad. He's obviously not as good as his previous best though

He should not play again. Neat and tidy but no legs or energy

This is a tiny sample from that thread. That last point in particular is key for me, and why I would have picked Lingard over him at that time. We've been fairly decent in defence all season, but poor at scoring goals and creating opportunities. I'm not suggesting for a moment that Lingard was the answer to those problems, but he & Pereira at least gave the side some energy and that was of greater benefit to that squad of players at that time.
And you asked me if I was bored :lol:

The old proven wrong by Matic, but not really argument, love it.

poleglass red

I've been a critique of Matic, I don't like his lack of aggression, his lack of mobility in tracking runners. But in recent weeks he has been very good. The thing that he has given us in recent weeks is a balance to our midfield. He's always been good as a holding mid, his positional sense is good, his passing is good as well and he doesn't panic. In the past when the other teams passed him he never had the legs to track back. With energy and aggression around him in Fred and McT and even Fernandes, his weak points are hidden whilst his strengths are magnified. I wouldn't be building a mid going forward with him as a main component, but he could certainly still be a very valuable squad player. I always felt we weren't getting as much of him in the past as his talent deserved. Many cried that Pogba needed to play in a three, I think Matic needed to play in a 3 just as much as him.

Inter Yer Nan

When everyone is fully fit it's Fred or someone else who is going to get dropped. Especially against stronger teams. Matic will play. But I hope Ole plays all 4 midfield of Bruno, Pogba, Fred and Matic and go two up front.
Would be harsh on Fred given that he’s been our best player this season. I do like that idea of those four in midfield with two up front. It will be interesting next season if we keep Pogba because Fred has proven he should be starting games regularly.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I dont rate him that much and would still sell him for any decent offer that came in. Has played a bit better recently. Suppose he is a reasonable option for cup games against tranmere etc but well down the pecking order when everyones fit or if anyone new comes in
We do not win against Manchester City without Matic.

I'm fine with criticizing players within reason, and don't really go out of my way to defend Matic, but fair is fair, Matic has been one of the best players on the pitch game in and game out during our run of form.

sp_107

UTD are getting clever these days, Instead of 2 years new contract they just extended one more year on same wages.

Matic is a very good option to have and he always come across a nice bloke care about playing for us. He is the one always celebrate his wife/kids birthdays with UTD theme cakes and all family members are happy to pose in UTD gear. for some this is a common thing but atleast he demonstrate his love for the club in a good way.

Ole mentioned, Mata and Matic are the two can become good managers when they finished playing means its good to have him around as his experience could help other young lads.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
UTD are getting clever these days, Instead of 2 years new contract they just extended one more year on same wages.

Matic is a very good option to have and he always come across a nice bloke care about playing for us. He is the one always celebrate his wife/kids birthdays with UTD theme cakes and all family members are happy to pose in UTD gear. for some this is a common thing but atleast he demonstrate his love for the club in a good way.

Ole mentioned, Mata and Matic are the two can become good managers when they finished playing means its good to have him around as his experience could help other young lads.
It prevents a situation where we have a ton of young and inexperienced players too.

Foxbatt

Would be harsh on Fred given that he’s been our best player this season. I do like that idea of those four in midfield with two up front. It will be interesting next season if we keep Pogba because Fred has proven he should be starting games regularly.
I am sure that this is the way forward. The midfield is going to be one of the strongest if we play this 4. With the pace of Rashford and Martial we would be among the top teams.

jem

I rate him very highly - he's just getting on a bit. We'd do very well to find ourselves the next Nemanja Matic.

jem

It's a lovely dilemma to have - the fact that McTominay, who has been very good this season, would be on the bench says it all.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Glad he has turned it around. One of the first names on the team sheet on current form.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Have to agree with that. Cannot be left out of the team on current form.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Good stuff, and good of him to acknowledge the rumblings that went on earlier in the season when he was fit but out of favour. He's done really well to work his way back into Ole's plans and this whole episode is another illustration of how confidence and the trust of a manager are so important even to seasoned pros.

Grande

Matic was one of our better players that autimn after Mou got him. During the Mou stint he gradually became one of our worst liabilities, and after Ole came in, he still looked like a wrecked player for the remainder of the season.

I thought he was probably done for, yet after a good lay-off, since February he has once again looked more or less like the player who was so important for two of Mourinho’s teams, but whom Mourinho seemingly ran into the ground himself. I must say I’m surprised at that turn.

romufc

Matic has gained more than the managers trust. He is first choice if we play Pogba and Bruno.

Credit Ole? He was finished in the summer and the first half of the season. One thing I note, he never fell out with the player. When the manager doesnt fall out with players, they can find their way back in.

Based Adnan

Unless he's carefully managed it's only a matter of time before his form dips again. Especially with the gaming coming thick and fast.

El Zoido

Ole has managed him really well up to this point, he’s a good asset to the squad. It’s funny how quickly fans forget how good a player can be.

Shark

@NotShark
He's fast turning into what Carrick was to us in SAF's last few years. We can't necessarily replace him but it's vital that we rotate him with someone else who can do something close to the job. Players of Matic' ilk are very rare.

fps

He's fast turning into what Carrick was to us in SAF's last few years. We can't necessarily replace him but it's vital that we rotate him with someone else who can do something close to the job. Players of Matic' ilk are very rare.
Yes he really seems to understand that role now, and I hope he and Carrick can perhaps work with McTominay or someone else trying to develop another player long-term for it. It's a slightly different role at Man Utd than other clubs, though I struggle to define what's so different about it. It's certainly not about charging around tackling everyone, there's something about the positioning and playmaking. Matic is playing it beautifully at the moment.

OleTheGreat

Matic is a great professional and should stick with us for a couple more years. I know he has lost pace and cannot revert back to his position if he moves forward too much but he's a clever player and should be used against lesser teams. He is a perfect Jose Mourinho player and that means he will protect the back 4 with all his force. I would rather put him at DM considering his form than risk playing Fred or Mctominay there because they move away from position too much and when Pogba and Bruno are played together in mid-field, we need a player to sit back and hold the defense in place with Maguire and Lindelof behind him. Bissaka and Shaw generally move forward a lot and therefore we need a show stopper and that's Matic for now. Pogba and Bruno will receive brilliant ground passes from him at speed which they can easily manipulate into faster attacks. Fred and Mctominay move a lot but their vision is still limited to me. Mctominay hardly sends a ball forward and Fred can hardly keep the ball to himself. We need a Saul kind player in that area for sure but Matic is good enough until the end of this season and then on we can think about a better DM.

This summer window, we need an RW, CF/ST, DM and also maybe a CB because Matic is good but he's slow to react against quick passing teams and will have a tough time covering the distance or tracking/closing down a player. I hope he's picked in the DM position against Brighton and Pogba along with Bruno should be allowed to move freely ahead of him. I really wish Ole picks this mid-field.

Web of Bissaka

Yes he really seems to understand that role now, and I hope he and Carrick can perhaps work with McTominay or someone else trying to develop another player long-term for it. It's a slightly different role at Man Utd than other clubs, though I struggle to define what's so different about it. It's certainly not about charging around tackling everyone, there's something about the positioning and playmaking. Matic is playing it beautifully at the moment.
Agreed 2x

Remember when he first joined. We didn't miss Carrick anymore. Not saying they play the same way, but there's just that vital "something" that they bring to the team. Experience? Composure? Tempo? Know-how? Football intelligence? maturity? Can't pin-point a name really for that. Basically all those and more. A lot of top teams have that kind of players.

Web of Bissaka

Good stuff, and good of him to acknowledge the rumblings that went on earlier in the season when he was fit but out of favour. He's done really well to work his way back into Ole's plans and this whole episode is another illustration of how confidence and the trust of a manager are so important even to seasoned pros.
Yes.

Equally important is to "get" that trust and confidence, works in two main ways:
1. manager dare to try and risk, giving chances to players they don't rate, especially when situation dictates it's necessary.
2. players to grind their teeth, worked hard, maintain professionalism (<-- start doing this if they misbehaved), perform better on the job (also off the job may also works) and grab any chances they can get.

Plus to "maintain" that trust and confidence.
3. Players need to continue performing. This is easy when you're in the manager's good books, but tougher when you're not. It's like an up and down level. I mean, how many more chances should Lingard gets, although ideally Ole is losing more and more trust+confidence in him.

TLDR
Cheers to Matic for turning it around by grabbing his chances, and Ole in trusting him when we had those CMs injuries. Injuries paved way for chances.

Valencia Shin Crosses

It’s basically the Busquets role. A DM that isn’t necessarily a destroyer workhorse, but rather shields the back with excellent positioning and interceptions to win the ball back. Then when in possession, has enough technique to both dribble under pressure to make space for himself, as well as passing the ball to the forward players in tight spaces. Any team that wants to be great in possession and keeping the ball has to have one of these players.

Brighton 0:3 Man Utd (30 June 2020)

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Agreed 2x

Remember when he first joined. We didn't miss Carrick anymore. Not saying they play the same way, but there's just that vital "something" that they bring to the team. Experience? Composure? Tempo? Know-how? Football intelligence? maturity? Can't pin-point a name really for that. Basically all those and more. A lot of top teams have that kind of players.
It’s all the things Football Manager models well as the most important attributes for any footballer, more than technical skills: anticipation, decision-making, composure, positioning, teamwork.

Zen86

It was a sublime pass for the third goal. He looked down and out not so long ago but he’s back to his best.