Is Matic ruffling Ole's feathers | Starting counter-attacks like a boss

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
The Times have twisted his words and blown them wildly out of proportion.

They way I interpret his comments is: If the team fails to live up to their expectations, it is the manager who takes the majority of the blame.

It's true too, just look at our last 3 managers.
No he is saying the manager isn't picking the best team (he believes he should be in it) and if we are not successful the manager will suffer the consequences.

The coach must opt for the team that will fight for the title and if he does not win, he bears the responsibility..

Basically he isn't picking the strongest side and he will suffer the consequences

Greck

Of course those comments aren't right. They carry a "I respect your opinion to be wrong" air of salt and passive aggression. The one about the manager facing the consequence for picking a team that doesn't win is just loaded with subtext

Denis79

Matic is done at this level and is rightly out of the team but reading the article in Serbian it's not as controversial as the English one. Some things do get lost in translation.

stu_1992

Yeah bit great to be coming out with statements like that. I reckon the quotes in isolation aren't the worst I've read from, though still unnecessary.

But when you add that to what he liked on Instagram, it paints a more sinister picture.

You're not going to win your place like that Matic!

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
So..... the tweet is by a "fan" who is starting to hate Ole because Matic isn't playing?
More reason to love Ole, if you ask me.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I agree to the extent he can say what he likes. However I think players who are clearly in our future plans sounding off here and there, which could annoy fans and could lead to disciplinary action from the club, is one thing. Players like Matic who haven't consistently performed for us in over a year making disgruntled noises about not being picked is another; fans cannot take seriously players who do all of their talking off the pitch and are naturally inclined to give more leeway to players who can potentially do good things for us on the field.
Matic had no reservations because he knew that others before him had done the same and they did not receive any kind of disciplinary punishment. This is the core of the issue here. The club chose not to make it clear that the only authority which can pass judgement on the manager is the board. Pogba liked posts which were welcoming his move to Madrid, Shaw liked posts made from his siblings that were slating Mourinho, Martial did exactly the same thing as Matic and nothing happened. They are all first-team regulars, this was their reward.

As for the fans, i think that they should not be OK with players crucifying the manager openly no matter what or whoever the manager is. Especially when said players have played their part into turning Manchester United into a midtable club. All of them. Otherwise, we should all agree that Lukaku was 100% right when he stated that there are favourites in our dressing room who can get away with murder while others will always be hanged out to dry.

But for some strange reason, our fanbase felt extremely hurt when Lukaku made such assertions. It seems he might have had a point, after all.

Beagle

Matic will be sold in Jan and replaced I think. The only reason he is still at the club is that we have no other option.
He has been utter crap for 18 months and also doesn't have the mobility to fit Oles style, he isn't being selected in the 11 because he is rubbish
Sold maybe. But replaced? That's not how things work around here.

Cassidy

Sold maybe. But replaced? That's not how things work around here.
I think many people getting their knickers in a twist over this summer. We needed a clear out and we don't need to panic buy (which is how we have got where we are), I think we'll be active in January and also next summer.

Planning for the longer term is always better

Havak

Pokemon master
I think he just wants to play.

He needs to do a much better job of proving Ole wrong though and it isn't just Ole he needs to prove wrong either.

Should be gone next Summer if he can't hack it, I don't think our style will suit him now. Hopefully, we activate his additional year and find a buyer.

Beagle

I think many people getting their knickers in a twist over this summer. We needed a clear out and we don't need to panic buy (which is how we have got where we are), I think we'll be active in January and also next summer.

Planning for the longer term is always better
That's well and fine. But I think the midfield is especially short of quality after losing Herrera who was the most consistent performer there last year.

The trouble with planning too long term is the manager might lose their job if the short term is affected too badly. I think Ole has made a lot of positive moves regarding the departures but he must stay in the job to see the transition through. With McTominay and Lingard in his preferred starting midfield, it's worrying times for him.

Cassidy

That's well and fine. But I think the midfield is especially short of quality after losing Herrera who was the most consistent performer there last year.

The trouble with planning too long term is the manager might lose their job if the short term is affected too badly. I think Ole has made a lot of positive moves regarding the departures but he must stay in the job to see the transition through. With McTominay and Lingard in his preferred starting midfield, it's worrying times for him.
No the club needs to see it through, I'm sure Ole wanted more players in the summer, the club didn't make it happen.
However what we need is a long term plan that transcends a manager because just like players the manager should also be assessed.

Its important that between now and next summer we work on the structure above the manager

Revaulx

Yet another player who’s in decline, can’t come to terms with it and is desperate to find someone else to blame. Roy Keane did the same, the difference being that he was decent for us in more than a dozen games :)

Greck

Yet another player who’s in decline, can’t come to terms with it and is desperate to find someone else to blame. Roy Keane did the same, the difference being that he was decent for us in more than a dozen games :)
He'll be back to tip top shape once he gets that rest he's been needing

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think its a poor translation of the regular phrase "The coach picks the best team as he is responsible for the results".

Beagle

No the club needs to see it through, I'm sure Ole wanted more players in the summer, the club didn't make it happen.
However what we need is a long term plan that transcends a manager because just like players the manager should also be assessed.

Its important that between now and next summer we work on the structure above the manager
I agree with you but can't see it happening.

Jordan_mufc

No he is saying the manager isn't picking the best team (he believes he should be in it) and if we are not successful the manager will suffer the consequences.

The coach must opt for the team that will fight for the title and if he does not win, he bears the responsibility..

Basically he isn't picking the strongest side and he will suffer the consequences
First of all, you can't speak in absolutes as the only person that truly knows what he meant is Matic himself.

Secondly, in my opinion, that's not what he meant. Potentially it was lost in translation or a language barrier.

For me that means that Ole is responsible for picking the team that he believes will win the title. If it fails, then the manager bears the responsibility as it is he who picks the team.

R'hllor

Dunno why people slagging Matic for this, it could be negative only if Ole has no spine.

Cassidy

First of all, you can't speak in absolutes as the only person that truly knows what he meant is Matic himself.

Secondly, in my opinion, that's not what he meant. Potentially it was lost in translation or a language barrier.

For me that means that Ole is responsible for picking the team that he believes will win the title. If it fails, then the manager bears the responsibility as it is he who picks the team.
Context is important, he is speaking about why he isn't playing...

Jonno

A very professional comment to Sky Sports. As fans we should want to see people being unhappy with being a back-up.

He's always struck me as a good guy, professional and he wants to help the club. We sadly bought him when he was past his best.

I think he is here to make up the numbers. Our midfield is in tatters really. I can see our entire summer being spent buying 3 midfielders.

Bwuk

Matic isn't going anywhere. He'll start the majority of our Europa games as one of the experienced heads in the side.

settembrini

Those comments are fine. Liking the post about hating Solskjaer because he doesn't pick Matic is dumb. The sooner Matic is out the door the better because he's been a horrible signing and is finished at the top level.

JustAGuest

Don't care about what's being said, but he's past his best before date. Looking to replace him is the logical thing to do.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I'm more interested in the people who always manage to find these kind of stuffs. It's almost like They're stalking on football players. Instagram likes, Snapchat statuses, the player's wife's comments, the player's wife's comments on Instagram likes which She posts on Snapchat.

flappyjay

I'm more interested in the people who always manage to find these kind of stuffs. It's almost like They're stalking on football players. Instagram likes, Snapchat statuses, the player's wife's comments, the player's wife's comments on Instagram likes which She posts on Snapchat.
He made comments not the likes

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
It's ok as its only Matic. He'll be off in January.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He was utter shite in pre-season and is a good example of Ole being ruthless with some poor performers. His comments are pathetic, because it's not like he's ever going to change the game for us. Given that strike last year against CP was different gear, but there are far more examples of him fecking it up.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's been absolutely terrible for awhile now. I mean the fact that we have McTimonay as a first choice CM says it all.

Nanotron

If you cant get in the side in front of McTominay then you should really consider retiring.