Is Mbappe the best french player ever?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Do you rate Platini higher than Zidane?
Both deserve to be talked about as GOATs but even though Platini was a much better goal scorer than Zidane for me Zidane had that extra ingredient that very few players are born with which sets him apart. The same genes as players like Ronaldinho or R9 had. Players that give you the WTF just happened moments. Platini and Zidane were very similar players just with slightly different chromosomes.

MegadrivePerson

Way too early in his career to be considered the best of all time.

He needs to move to a league that's higher than the 5th best league in Europe for a start!

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Zidane is the overrated player in this thread honestly.
Their best player in their world cup win and dragged them to a second final by himself not to mention his euro 2000 performance which rivals his countryman 1984 performance.

So no he is at the very least the second best french player ever and definitely above Mbappe at the moment.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Their best player in their world cup win and dragged them to a second final by himself not to mention his euro 2000 performance which rivals his countryman 1984 performance.

So no he is at the very least the second best french player ever and definitely above Mbappe at the moment.
I don't think Zidane was their best player in 1998. Fair enough on 2000 and 2006.

My original comment was more to highlight his inconsistency at the club level, which gets glossed over a lot.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't think Zidane was their best player in 1998. Fair enough on 2000 and 2006.

My original comment was more to highlight his inconsistency at the club level, which gets glossed over a lot.
That's because he wasn't. He was the best player during the final but outside of that any of the defenders had a superior tournament. Zidane was the best player in 2000 and 2006 though, that 2006 World Cup was something else.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

He wasn't inconsistent at club level though. He had 1 subpar season in his prime, otherwise, it's only in his last 2 seasons, when he was old, that he was inconsistent

Hughes35

Well no, obviously not.

I do think he's brilliant though. Such a shame he plays in the French division. If he came to Spain or England then I think he'd already be being talked about much higher than he is.

If he came to England and performed how he obviously can for 5 or 6 seasons then I think he probably would be talked about in a similar way to Henry.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

A fair criticism but in regards to French players in particular it's hard to have claim at being better unless you're named platini.

Also I don't think he was that inconsistent.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They already do that with Cristiano so don’t see why if Mbappe continues this way there won’t be arguments, he’s game isn’t any less rounded than Cristiano.

All this just proves to me Messi is the true outlier, Haaland and Mbappe may get close to CR7 in some respects (stats) but they’ll never ever be able to simultaneously be a top playmaker and scorer at the same time, Haaland especially is nothing more than an elite elite poacher.
Totally agree. Messi is a different kettle of fish. Even without the end product he's a special player. At his peak and thereabouts, he'd often take 3 defenders out of the game / press with ease throuh his other wordly dribbling or of course be a source of ridiculous creativity and playmaking. You get players like that once every 30-40 years, probably.

Mbappe could end up more like a Ronaldo but of course that's a long way to go too considering the consistency levels , CLs etc of the latter.

Haaland for me just too extreme a poacher. He's fantastic at it but he's too incomplete and one note.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Surely even Benzema is considered ahead of him for the time being? He's been a great player for many years now at a top level club, and last season he was remarkable. Practically dragged Real to the CL win, in what are considered to be beyond his peak years.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Benzema had a wonderful season, and I really fancy his skillset but I would pick Mbappe over him most of the time.

TheArse

Supports
Arsenal
No

Platini, Zidane and Henry still in front.

He does have the capability to eclipse them all though to be fair, and he's got a lot of years left in him yet providing no injuries.

I'd love to see how he fares in the EPL though as a side note.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Cantona is the greatest French player of all time and I’m not the least bit interested in your facts, stats or objectivity.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Probably not for a French guy. We are not Tottenham, we are loving trophies and this guy was great but didn’t win the World Cup.
ahahahaha that's the Frenchest thing ever.
You can't make this sh!t up.

He goes all snobbish, uh la la we're in for the trophies... and proceeds to snub the guy who won them their first ever trophy with their best individual performance ever.

Dude you would've gone a full century of football without ever reaching an international final if not for him...

Friggin parvenus XD

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Is he better / has achieved as much as Plattini, Zidane, Koka, Henry ... for me no

Is he better than they were at 23... yeah probaly he is actually so he could potentially go on to surpass them all - equally he could turn out to be a total knob who blew his chance only time will tell

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with

Platini scored 9 in 5 in 84..

Avion

Supports
Attractive Football
Strange thread, I think Mister Bappe is far from the best french players right now (he is still very young) - he plays in a medium french league and got an overblown amount of money no player should normally get. It is so much hype with the young players on social media and teams like Real/PSG/Oilers have too much money at hand paying insane amounts for the next possible Messi.

He sure shows his qaulities in Champions league and world cup (world cups are a bit overrated though as the overall quality is lower than leage/CL footy)
I don't even know his technical abilities, in my head he is 'just' a fast runner with a good shooting technique

Redfrog

He goes all snobbish, uh la la we're in for the trophies... and proceeds to snub the guy who won them their first ever trophy with their best individual performance ever.

Dude you would've gone a full century of football without ever reaching an international final if not for him...

Friggin parvenus XD
Don’t speak to me racist twat.

JPRouve

Scout

Friggin parvenus XD
Why would that be the frenchest thing ever when it's not a popular idea in France?

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Strange thread, I think Mister Bappe is far from the best french players right now (he is still very young) - he plays in a medium french league and got an overblown amount of money no player should normally get. It is so much hype with the young players on social media and teams like Real/PSG/Oilers have too much money at hand paying insane amounts for the next possible Messi.

He sure shows his qaulities in Champions league and world cup (world cups are a bit overrated though as the overall quality is lower than leage/CL footy)
I don't even know his technical abilities, in my head he is 'just' a fast runner with a good shooting technique
Maybe you should just watch more games? He's obviously the best french player bar Benzema last season.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Even when he inevitably becomes the top scorer in World Cup history, he still won't touch Zizou. He is arguably a top 10 player of all time.

The Siege

I always find 'best' to be an oversimplification in a sport with a heterogeneous set of skills and measures of output, but if you probably had to make an all-time France XI, and played Henry on the left, Mbappe would make the team.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
He is a very good player currently, and he is better than Henry at the same age. However there may be a chance he is one of those player who peak early in their career.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
The old “Watch more football” retort.

Classic.
If you think Mbappé is merely a "fast runner with a good shooting technique", yeah, you should watch more game, or simply stop watching.

TheLiverBird

Of course over Zidane.
Polls suggest that’s simply not true

Number 1 greatest French player of All time is by far Zidane

Mbappe is a monster of a player, but he’s playing In a farmers league, to get the accolades and the glory, he’ll have to do it domestically on a much bigger stage and even then, he’s got a lot too do to get close to Zidane

I think people forget how good Zidane was wether that’s because of the freakish emergence of Ronaldo and Messi who have eclipsed everyone

But Zidane is certainly top 10 of all time Outside of just French players, imo top 5 of all time

and number 1 heads and shoulders above all French players no question

Mbappe has one hell of a way to go yet to touch Zidane which makes this thread topic somewhat of a joke, must be a millennial

rpitchfo

Depends how long he keeps his acceleration.

love watching him but if he loses his pace he’s just another strong striker.

JPRouve

Scout
Polls suggest that’s simply not true

Number 1 greatest French player of All time is by far Zidane

Mbappe is a monster of a player, but he’s playing In a farmers league, to get the accolades and the glory, he’ll have to do it domestically on a much bigger stage and even then, he’s got a lot too do to get close to Zidane

I think people forget how good Zidane was wether that’s because of the freakish emergence of Ronaldo and Messi who have eclipsed everyone

But Zidane is certainly top 10 of all time Outside of just French players, imo top 5 of all time

and number 1 heads and shoulders above all French players no question

Mbappe has one hell of a way to go yet to touch Zidane which makes this thread topic somewhat of a joke, must be a millennial
There is no world where Zidane is by the French All time great over Platini. There is no conversation in France where that happens unless we are talking about fairly young people.

JPRouve

Scout
"Of course"? Wow, that surprises me a lot.
Platini generally won more, he was a more prolific player while also being an actual playmaker. He was instrumental in France winning their first international title, has 3 Ballon d'Or and one thing that has mattered a lot is that in the 80s France produced some of the best Football of the time, it wasn't a cynical team.