Is Mou still 'The Special One' for you all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Is he?

I'll admit I wasn't very enthused about having him here and actually didn't want him...but desperate times, desperate measures needed and if we did get back on track, I can admit to being wrong and join the bandwagon.

But as every game passes, I find myself losing patience. The draws are as bad as LvG but his whining about players to media annoys me even more. I can't remember of a single incident where Fergie washed his dirty linen in public. Fergie always was uber-protective of his team even after a loss he usually was harsh with the media. I hate the fact Jose is a media darling and doesn't hesitate to dangle his players out. If a player speaks out similar, I'm sure his ego will blow up and the player is apt to never play again.

I'm leaning more and more to....Feckin win or get the feck out.

I may respect Jose for if he does turn us around, but I'll never love him irrespective of success.

Womp

idiot
Is he?

I'll admit I wasn't very enthused about having him here and actually didn't want him...but desperate times, desperate measures needed and if we did get back on track, I can admit to being wrong and join the bandwagon.

But as every game passes, I find myself losing patience. The draws are as bad as LvG but his whining about players to media annoys me even more. I can't remember of a single incident where Fergie washed his dirty linen in public. Fergie always was uber-protective of his team even after a loss he usually was harsh with the media. I hate the fact Jose is a media darling and doesn't hesitate to dangle his players out. If a player speaks out similar, I'm sure his ego will blow up and the player is apt to never play again.

I may respect Jose for if he does turn us around, but I'll never love him irrespective of success.
You're not thinking hard enough then, I can think of 5 times he did it to Nani alone. Did it with Rooney in his last season etc.

Also you don't have to love a manager, but the least everyone can do is show him some patience and respect. He's improved our football tenfold albiet the results still aren't there, but he's getting there. I'm more confident than I ever was since SAF left.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Yeah I don't blame him for us missing so many chances in our home games.

Fans want mangers out so fast now, I find that annoying

Devil may care

Ah the mythical Saint Fergie stuff, I don't see Jose as the special one or any other daft gimmicks, he's a very good manager and if he doesn't think some of these players have what it takes then I'll trust that, the standards of what was expected to be a Manchester United player was lowered signifigantly under Moyes and LvG, two guys that drove home a message of mediocrity being acceptable.

Womp

idiot
The reason we're in this position in the first place is a lack of patience and complacency. We rid our luck in SAF's last few seasons, never improving the glaring weaknesses' in the squad, we then hired 3 different managers who all had completely different ideals who brought in players for their systems. Now we have a squad of players all over the shop.

Jose will get us back to the top I'm sure.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Is he?

"We gave the ball away for a third goal and we were in complete control of the game at that point," Ferguson said after United's 5-4 League Cup extra-time defeat at Chelsea.

"We were playing really good football at that point and all we needed to do was see the game out by keeping possession.

"But Nani decided to try and beat a player, lost the ball and they got a penalty kick against us.”

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
We rid our luck in SAF's last few seasons, never improving the glaring weaknesses' in the squad,
we were winning....with those glaring weakness in our staff. I still wonder how we would have fared if Fergie had the budget that LvG, Moyes and Jose has.

The reason we're in this position in the first place is a lack of patience and complacency.
Really? :rolleyes: How long is patient enough for you? Put a figure to it....start from the last time we last won the league.

Womp

idiot
Not to add, Nani was probably our best player in that game and scored a beautiful dink in the game. I don't know where this myth that SAF was a saint comes from, he wasn't, he was a cnut. All the best managers are.

Womp

idiot
we were winning....with those glaring weakness in our staff. I still wonder how we would have fared if Fergie had the budget that LvG, Moyes and Jose has.

Really? :rolleyes: How long is patient enough for you? Put a figure to it....start from the last time we last won the league.
We won the league because RVP was winning us points on his own and the league really wasn't that competitive, doesn't change the fact that the squad was weak and needed major improving. What SAF could have done isn't a factor because he isn't here anymore, the more you compare managers to SAF, the more you're going to be disappointed, those days are gone.

I'm not talking patient in terms of results, I'm talking patient in regards to managers. Managers need time to get the players in and the system they want to implement, by constantly chopping and changing we've got players and tactics all over the place, who don't suit the next manager coming in.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

Bloody hell, you are in total meltdown because we had a few bad years

johanovic

Who else would have here? I will reserve my verdict until next season as he was hardly taking over a complete squad. He has to get time to see the job through and getting rid of players that either are done or just do not have the quality needed. He bought well last summer, got rid of Schweinssteiger,Schneiderlin,Depay and has taken a lot of the wage bill there. It will be interesting to see who leaves in the summer but it seems to me that Rooney,Shaw,Carrick(due to age)Darmian,Young,Fellaini,Januzaj and perhaps more could be on the way out and on top of that we still do not know what Ibra and De Gea want to do. So it´s clear to me that he´s cleaning house and will continue to do so and IF he´s buying well like last summer it will be interesting to see. It´s just plain to see that we are lacking a lot of quaility in both midfield and wing play.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Maybe not the special one, but then again i never thought he was. I do think we should keep him no matter what.

I think there is signs that we are getting back to the top, but we need a clinical player or two and in general some more experience in this side.

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Mourinho is doing a fine job, considering the magnitude of the task he's been set. Results like the one against West brom don't bother me so much. Yes, it was terribly frustrating but there isn't really much you can do against cowardly, anti-football tactics like that. They didn't come to play a football match, they came to desperately cling on to a point with mostly 11 men behind the ball and 10 of those camped in or around their own box for 90 mins.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Is he?

I never liked the guy and then he took over United and became first manager to win something in first season as United boss. Not trying to convince you or anything but at some point he's already someone special from the club's perspective.

Womp

idiot
All this talk about SAF, what's funny is if he was hired today and we went through the first few years struggles people would have hounded him out before he could turn us into the global brand we are today.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He was never the Special One to me... He was/is just a bloody brilliant manager with a great track record, but still has much to do to consolidate his legacy.

He's not been great at facilitating our attack so far but he has shown enough for me to give him a few seasons to prove himself.

I don't think the solution is buying a bunch of new players, not yet. He can do better with the current squad.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Is he?

SAF often called out a player in the press when he knew it would motivate the player/squad. So that part of the OP is wrong. Anyways I don't mind the manager having a go at players: managers need to rule a club, not players who are already over pampered.

'Feckin win or get the feck out' is also wrong because Mourinho delivered a cup at his very first attempt. But also Im very very far away from that statement: Sacking Mourinho has never ever entered my thoughts. Frankly, its a ridiculous statement.

I am very confident we will win the league next year or the next, with an exciting team that will win several more. And as soon as he wins one, I'm in love forever more.

In summary I dont agree with any of this OP.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He was never the Special One to me... He was/is just a bloody brilliant manager with a great track record, but still has much to do to consolidate his legacy.

He's not been great at facilitating our attack so far but he has shown enough for me to give him a few seasons to prove himself.

I don't think the solution is buying a bunch of new players, not yet. He can do better with the current squad.
Exactly how?

Dong Fangzhuo

Is he?

Never wanted him and still can't stand him. We hired him though, and we can't keep changing managers every season, so I don't particularly want him sacked. I wish he'd shut the feck up about our players though and take some responsibility for our anemic attack.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Exactly how?
Generate a potent attack out of Ibrahimovic, Pogba, Martial, Mkhitrayan, Lingard.

I like our solidity at the back, and I think that will be the foundation of any success going forward, but there is room for improvement when it comes to finishing, breaking down stubborn teams, and counterattacking.

Boycott

He was never special to me. Hope he does well at Utd and I do think he's done reasonably well but there are elements of his ways I never liked and aren't going to like just because he's Utd manager now

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This attitude is a complete over reaction and utter sense of entitlement: we last won the league just under 4 years ago. Its very very recent. Compare that with Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton and the rest.

Our board genuinely wants to retain top position and is heavily investing talent into our squad. I don't meet many fans who are happy with our short term demise. So there is no complacency anywhere from what I can see.

There is no genuine crisis yet.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Generate a potent attack out of Ibrahimovic, Pogba, Martial, Mkhitrayan, Lingard.

I like our solidity at the back, and I think that will be the foundation of any success going forward, but there is room for improvement when it comes to finishing, breaking down stubborn teams, and counterattacking.
He has tried but the players have let him down: inconsistency from Pogba, Martial, Mkhitrayan, Lingard and low conversion rate from Ibrahimovic. But this is the first time this unit played together and role of Rooney also muddled the thinking.

But agree this unit (+ Rooney replacement) must dramatically improve next year: create more clear chances AND dramatically improve our finishing.

If they do, we win the league.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
All this talk about SAF, what's funny is if he was hired today and we went through the first few years struggles people would have hounded him out before he could turn us into the global brand we are today.
And SAFs first years were a cakewalk? We probably were worse when he took over.

Compare that with Arsenal, Liverpool, Spurs, Everton and the rest.
Honestly why would you even compare ourselves to them other than to make you feel better? They are not our peers and have not been for quite some time.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Honestly why would you even compare ourselves to them other than to make you feel better? They are not our peers and have not been for quite some time.
I disagree completely with the sentiments in your OP and posted why above. Not much more contribution I can make.

Womp

idiot
And SAFs first years were a cakewalk? We probably were worse when he took over.
Exactly, so how is this rebuilding any different? We're not the same serial winners we were of a few years ago, you need to wake up and smell the toast. Who's to say Jose couldnt' create a dynasty (not saying he will, think he'll win us some trophies and feck off in a few years tbh, but you never know)

As I've already touched on, we replaced SAF and entrusted a faltering squad to a clueless manager, who panic signed Fellaini, sacked our whole backroom staff and squad half the team who were vital to our success over the past decade. We then sacked him in under a season and replaced him with a manager who plays possession and slow build-up football, despite the fact that we had literally no players in the squad who were able to play that style of play. So he signed some players and he trained our players on how to be patient and retain the ball, we then replaced him with a manager who plays counter-attacking football, with players who were brought in for LVG's system, players who were use to that style of play.

Do you not see the issue here? This why I think hiring a competent DOF is much more important than any manager we bring in, we need some stability and consistency. Whether or not you think Jose is the "special one" doesn't change the fact that the shambles we've got going on at the moment isn't a quick fix. Sacking Jose would just restart the process all again. As they'd need time to implement their system, get their own players in etc.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Not a big fan since his 2nd stint at Chelsea, he comes across very bitter, despite our shit league position we do look more of an actual functional team now for the first time since SAF retired, he's going to get a 2nd season, unless the players revolt I can't see us not improving next year, with a few key additions.

The United

Never thought him as 'the special one' anyway especially Fergie was still there.

Never think he is after Fergie retired too.

Someone here demanding respect for him from United fans. That's funny. He has to earn. He might next season or a bit this season even. Atm, not so much.

He could have done a tad better if not much better with the squad and the experience he has in EPL.

Boycott

Exactly how?
Problem is fans got their expectations wrong. Everyone shitted on Van Gaal who was seen as the faux philosopher aka bullshitter holding our squad back and preventing them from reaching their true capabilities.

Mourinho was seen as an upgrade. If one manager had a squad 'under performing' in 5th, the next guy - the upgrade - should straight away do better...right? With £150m worth of talent added too.

Well he's not. The realisation that there are deeper issues has finally hit as opposed to it being a straight 'Jose will bring Utd back, we've finally got the right man' as predicted at the start.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/top-6-prediction-2016-2017.419615/

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
When he won the treble with Inter in 2010, he was the best manager in the world, narrowly ahead of Pep and Ancelotti.

Nowadays there are plenty of managers that are doing a better job than him. Conte, Klopp, Pochettino, Simeone, Sampaoli and so on are all doing better than Mourinho with the limitted resources and players they have.

In that sense, he's not special anymore.

JON.B

Sloop
I genuinely hope he gets the sack, I can't stand the miserable prick.

I was very reluctant about his appointment, simply because of his character and his methods, not only as a manager but as a person. His treatment of certain players this season has been appalling and totally unprofessional. If he actually looked happy to be here maybe I might have been a bit more forgiving but considering he looks like a fecking miserable git most of the time, it makes it a lot easier to dislike him.

He was always a convenient choice being out of work, and for the board the opportunity was too good to turn down, even though he was completely the wrong choice.

I don't see him lasting the length of his current contract, sooner or later he will self implode, and from what I've seen from him so far I'd say he's going about achieving that in exactly the right way.

Thanks for the cup Jose but you can kindly feck off at the end of the season.

goin4glory

Some of you need a reality check here. This is a group of players that've finished 7th/4th/5th last 3 seasons and likely out of the top 4 again. Mourinho should have total control to ship out whoever he wants and build the squad he wants. I've got no sympathy for some of the losers in this team, they'd have been booed/whilsted and ousted after 6 months of this shite at Barca/Madrid.

Skills

Snitch
This isn't the same manager that was in charge of Porto, Chelsea (first stint) and Inter. He's still pretty good and his transfer record will win him trophies, but he's not the monster he was earlier in his career who would get every single drop of juice out of his squad.

Runner

I think he's a great manager but we have a very weak squad. Backing the manager 100%.

Womp

idiot
This isn't the same manager that was in charge of Porto, Chelsea (first stint) and Inter. He's still pretty good and his transfer record will win him trophies, but he's not the monster he was earlier in his career who would get every single drop of juice out of his squad.
Think he's capable, just our squad doesn't give a feck. Look at what he's done to Herrera, Rojo, Valencia, Bailly, Mata, just to name a few. I would never back these players over any of our managers, no matter who it is, Moyes and other exceptions aside. They've done nothing for us, they've given us season after season of disappointment. I don't doubt a lot of them are more than good enough ability wise, but in terms of mentality, if they're not up for it, they can feck off.

Whether or not people accept it, we're in a similar boat to Arsenal, competing for top four and minor trophies. Wenger was nice and cuddly with his teams for over a decade and nothing has changed for them in over a decade. We need a team who wants to win.

MarchingOn

Yes.

Imagine LVG with this squad in this year's Premier League?

Christ...

MDFC Manager

Agreed. At this point in time, he's just been barely better than LvG.

Status
Not open for further replies.