Is Neymar's star fading?

Dolf

Once part of the mighty MSN winning 10 trophies, including the Champions League, 3 La Liga's and the WC for clubs. And then he moved to PSG for 222 million euro...

A great first season scoring 28 goals and 16 assists in 30 games. but knocked out of the Champions League by Real Madrid.

This season so far he has scored 20 goals and 11 assists in 23 games in all competitions but has been injured since January.

So that brings us to the question: Is Neymar's star fading?
Without a doubt his commercial value has grown since leaving Barcelona but what about his value as a player? He left Barcelona (reportedly) because he was tired of being in Messi's shadow but personally I don't even see Neymar as the big man of PSG anymore since Mbappé joined.

His scoring statistics look very good but it's Ligue 1. Last season in the league he was the 3rd top scorer with 19 goals, being closer to Memphis (19 goals) than to Thauvin (22) or Cavani (28). He did give the most assists that season: 13 assists, the same amount as Payet and only 2 more than Thavin (11).
This season it looks like he isn't even going to give the mosts assists and let's not even talk about goals since Mbappé is currently on 27G/5A and Neymar on 13G/6A, strengthening my point that he isn't the main man at PSG anymore.

What to do?

The Champions League is the only major trophy that he can win now that he is at PSG. But is it enough?
How many CL's does he need to win? And even if he does win it, is it still as impressive as winning it with say Barcelona or Manchester United? I would say not because they are cruising in Ligue 1 winning it every year. Meanwhile clubs like City, Barcelona and Liverpool need to give everything they have, week in week out or they might not even win their domestic league.

I still think Neymar is an absolute world class player but if he continues like this than in 30 years time I highly doubt we will think of him as one of the best wingers ever.

Robertd0803

The problem is he plays for PSG to begin with. Plus Mbappe is putting in some insane numbers with none of the off pitch nonsense that comes with Neymar so hes being overshadowed again despite leaving Barca for that reason.

Last edited:

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Are you factoring in that in his 2 seasons at PSG he has been injured for like 3-4months each season

Trizy

See the problem straight away is PSG. No one watches them outside of the CL knockout stages. So if Neymar misses a few of those handful of games and they go out early then he gets no exposure. He was making the papers in Barcelona even when he'd score against minows.

Not to mention Mbappe is the wonder kid people want to read about.

Ideally he should move to Madrid if he wants to be a star again, especially now Ronaldo is gone.

Basic conclusion, PSG are a nobody and has/will ruined his career.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Didn't think this latest injury was as bad as what he got last season, thought he'd only be out for 6 weeks?

Anyway looks like another international tournament he'll be undercooked for as happened in the World cup.

RedNed77

See the problem straight away is PSG. No one watches them outside of the CL knockout stages. So if Neymar misses a few of those handful of games and they go out early then he gets no exposure. He was making the papers in Barcelona even when he'd score against minows.

Not to mention Mbappe is the wonder kid people want to read about.

Ideally he should move to Madrid if he wants to be a star again, especially now Ronaldo is gone.

Basic conclusion, PSG are a nobody and has/will ruined his career.
Wouldn't bet against Perez going all out this summer. For all of Woodys claims about us being able to do things in the transfer market no other club can think of, its only Madrid who can realistically do that. Pogba, Neymar & Hazard in, Bale, Kroos and Isco out.

Litch

If he was sold today, the amount of zeros in the figure would tell you the answer. He, CR and Messi are the only three players that walk straight into any team in the world.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He's just been injured at crucial times. Awful thread.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Moving from a genuine European powerhouse to a club who are still trying to establish themselves at the top table coupled with bad injuries would stop any player in their tracks. When fit he's still a great player, and will prove it if he can put the injuries behind him.

I'm sure this exact thread already exists?

His star is fading because he you don't see as much of him anymore, nobody really cares what PSG do. The only exposure he gets is in Europe and they always go out early. He's also being overshadowed by the next young prodigy the world is focused on.

He's also 27 now. I can definitely see him going down the oft-followed Brazilian route of a massive decline as he approaches 30.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Leaving Messi's shadows for the eventual Mbappe shadow looks to be a bad move.

I have few memories of Neymar being the reason his club or country won a massive game, whereas when you consider Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldo, Zidane, Gerrard, Henry, even Ryan Giggs, genuine football and club icons, you can pinpoint their exact contribution to lifting a trophy or propelling their team.

I could be so wrong here, but I feel like his footballing peak was the night against Paris, which is also one of the dodgiest games I've ever seen.

AgentP

I think two things are hindering him at the moment. Injuries and lack of motivation. The league is a joke and the only real challenge is the CL which is what 10 games max in a season.

Cait Sith

By next season he will be 28. Kinda insane that Messi was there and established like 5 years before him and looks like he will outlast him as well. I don't see Neymar being any more relevant than he is now in 3 years time while Messi will most likely still be as good with 33/34.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He's great but PSG's season is 2-7 games long and it starts in Feburary, he got injured for all of it in the two years he's been there. The fact PSG spent 220 million on him and haven't been past the round of 16 after 2 years is a huge burden on him, next season there will be a lot of pressure on his shoulders to reach a CL final. Can see PSG selling him to Madrid if that doesn't happen.

Instead of saving himself and be prepared physically for the Champions League he's chosen to play meaningless league games to boost his stat sheet. Needs to understand what he's playing for and not make the same mistakes next year.

Copa America in Brazil this year will be the time to show he has it.

Last edited:

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
Awful league too.
Not every league has the benefit to obtain a billion pound TV deal and oil barons/tycoons for 20 teams (and even beyond that number since some Championship clubs are loaded)

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
To be fair he has been unlucky with injuries during 2nd half of the seasons, in past 2 years.

Schneckerl

When Neymar has been healthy, he played fantastic - top 3 player in the World. The problem is he got injured at the most crucial point of the season in both of his PSG years.
The only part where they actually play meaningful games - the French league currently is kind of pointless and him playing or not playing has zero impact.

Honestly he try should try sit out half the games in France and 100% focus on the CL.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Neymar and Mbappe should have moved to /stayed in the PL or La Liga. If the French league improves due to their presence then this is a good thing for football but it's hard to take peformances in that league for a team like PSG seriously.

Needham

I still think Neymar is an absolute world class player but if he continues like this than in 30 years time I highly doubt we will think of him as one of the best wingers ever.
As an out and out winger I'm already thinking of him as not as good as John Robertson, who was a major reason for his club winning European Cups. At this rate, he'll barely be talked about in 30 years.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s top. Will rightly go down as one of the best.

EireRed_GS

222 million quid :houllier: that still to this day amazes me that they went to that extreme price just to get him. All while completely ballsing up the market for everyone else from that point on.

Hes a great great player but he drags himself down with his actions and behaviour. What separates him from the likes of Messi & Ronaldo is their drive to just get on and win the game. Generally they have their eyes on the result and success, while Neymar is more focused on winning decisions within the game. Never do you see riding various challenges to break through and get that winner, he'll just go straight down in tears.

...Plus he chose to go play in a donkey league which is always going to inevitably lower your output and standards.

In fairness, i was absolutely delighted that Mbappe emerged to spoil his 'I'm being the best player at PSG' plans :lol:.. it would brilliant if he stole his move to Real Madrid too haha

gza the genius

I think everyone still knows he's very obviously world class but like most are saying the move to PSG and injuries during key periods of the season make it easy to forget about him right now.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
In Mbappe's shadow..

Those who actually watch PSG games know it's actually the exact opposite. Neymar is still comfortably the better player. When he's on the pitch, everything runs through him. Can't imagine he'd have as bad a game as Mbappe had against United in the second half because he's far better technically.

Thing is, people want Neymar to fail because they don't like him. And they want Mbappe to overtake them because he's that nice and innocent young prodigy. And personally I don't think Mbappe will ever become as good as Neymar currently is.

Cloud7

By next season he will be 28. Kinda insane that Messi was there and established like 5 years before him and looks like he will outlast him as well. I don't see Neymar being any more relevant than he is now in 3 years time while Messi will most likely still be as good with 33/34.
Which is crazy in itself considering how ridiculously talented Neymar is. Neymar should be firmly established as the third best player in the world with the ability that he has.

Charles Miller

There is a permanent confusion of personal sympathies and opinions in the RedCafe. In other words, if a player is not likeable we need to find a way to pretend he is not that good. Its most notable when the subject is Neymar, Ronaldo and VVD.

There are maybe 4 players in the world that when fit are really able to decide a game at any level by themselves and Neymar is one of them.

Hellboy

There is a permanent confusion of personal sympathies and opinions in the RedCafe. In other words, if a player is not likeable we need to find a way to pretend he is not that good. Its most notable when the subject is Neymar, Ronaldo and VVD.

There are maybe 4 players in the world that when fit are really able to decide a game at any level by themselves and Neymar is one of them.
What big game has he decided since he moved to PSG? Football is also about being as good as your last game.

Rito

Supports
Chelsea
In Mbappe's shadow..

Those who actually watch PSG games know it's actually the exact opposite. Neymar is still comfortably the better player. When he's on the pitch, everything runs through him. Can't imagine he'd have as bad a game as Mbappe had against United in the second half because he's far better technically.

Thing is, people want Neymar to fail because they don't like him. And they want Mbappe to overtake them because he's that nice and innocent young prodigy. And personally I don't think Mbappe will ever become as good as Neymar currently is.
Mbappe vs Neymar thread to replace the Messi vs Ronaldo one in a few years ?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Not sure what he could do with PSG for his star not to fade.

100 goals in the league and people would still question the quality of the opposition.

He needs to at a big part in a European run. Hard to do that when you are in Brazil spending quality time with your sister though.