Is Neymar's star fading?

youmeletsfly

Amazing then, that the Women’s World Cup can even finish a match. Eh?
When did "being a bit girly", "being a pussy" or anything like that became something sexist? I'm not trying to be a prick about it but it's a bit soft, those being classical and commonly used expression. We live in a world where you can't really say anything otherwise you're labelled sexist or anything similar.

If I would have replaced "a bit girly" with "whiner" there wouldn't be any discussion right now. It's crazy how a few words can start the wrong conversation, is it?

Carolina Red

Staff
When did "being a bit girly", "being a pussy" or anything like that became something sexist? I'm not trying to be a prick about it but it's a bit soft, those being classical and commonly used expression. We live in a world where you can't really say anything otherwise you're labelled sexist or anything similar.

If I would have replaced "a bit girly" with "whiner" there wouldn't be any discussion right now. It's crazy how a few words can start the wrong conversation, is it?
1) that something was once frequently used to describe someone doesn’t make it okay to use anymore. Eg) racial epithets

2) how is it not sexist? The phrases were invented to be sexist, and still are. Nothing “soft” about calling people out for them.

3) if your vocabulary is so limited that the only way you can describe someone falling on the ground is to use sexist phrases, then that is your fault, not society’s.

Billy Blaggs

Flacco of the Blaggs tribe

Yes it is. There's plenty of girls that are feminine and would still kick your ass.

Jeffthered

In winter 2015 he was the closest to young Messi I've ever seen. Dribbling, passing, scoring, pace, leadership. He was absolutely better than Ronaldo. He is an uneducated clown of a character surrounded by even more uneducated clowns though so his career is going down the drain. Immense waste. If he had brains and his head was in it and not in partying, gaming and social media, we'd be comparing him to Messi.
Yep, this. This guy is a super, super, super outstanding talent. What I love about him, is that he is a goal-scorer too. a match-winner. He also has a unique talent.. he's briliant to watch.. he is a diva, but he comes in for some hefty treatment. But what a football player, a true star.

BUT... PSG seems not the best move, but I sense we would not be saying this if PSG reached a CL final. Which, I feel, at some stage soon, they will. They can buy to improve that side.

Neymar needs to keep fit, head down, and enjoy his football. The thing is, he is surrounded by charlatans and opportunists, who do not have his best interests at heart. The national team need to show they can play WITHOUT him. This may actually help, and we will see in the Copa America.

But it is a shame to watch a truly great talent have so much going on off field. His stats are fantastic, and he should be dominating world footie now.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Maybe if he concentrated on his football rather than running off to be with his sister every five minutes he’d be fulfilling his potential.

Last edited:

A-man

Then they would be wrong.

In the last 7 years:

England: City, City, Chelsea, Leicester, Chelsea, City, Utd
Italy: Juventus x 7
France: PSG x 7
Germany: Bayern x 7
Scotland: Celtic x 7 (listed just to show how uncompetitive Italy, France & Germany are).

At least La Liga is a duopoly (occasionally discrupted by Athletico).
I guess it is not so much about the history, but about the Now, as none of the teams you named has been close this or even if the last season. Juventus won the last years but it has not been a walk in the park, other teams have been close.

JMack1234

I think Neymar has fallen through the cracks a bit.

Messi and Ronaldo are both still too good for to be realistically considered up to their level at the moment. Whilst the younger players like Mbappe are way more impressive then him.

Add to that the fact that he plays in Ligue 1 which is a bit of joke at the moment and PSG have (so far) bottled every chance they've had in the Champions League.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Then they would be wrong.

In the last 7 years:

England: City, City, Chelsea, Leicester, Chelsea, City, Utd
Italy: Juventus x 7
France: PSG x 7
Germany: Bayern x 7
Scotland: Celtic x 7 (listed just to show how uncompetitive Italy, France & Germany are).

At least La Liga is a duopoly (occasionally discrupted by Athletico).
Monaco

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Zlatan esque goal from him. Heard that he got jeered all game as well by his own fans. What a way to show up.

marktan

World class goal from a world class player. If he wasn't so injury prone he'd be up there with Ronaldo and Messi. Strangely the same thing could apply to Bale. Both Ronaldo and Messi have had largely injury free careers.

Bennz McCarthey17

Supports
Africa
World class goal from a world class player. If he wasn't so injury prone he'd be up there with Ronaldo and Messi. Strangely the same thing could apply to Bale. Both Ronaldo and Messi have had largely injury free careers.
Do you honestly see Neymar, or Bale taking either Barca or Real to Champions League glory, scoring 50 plus goals a season, even injury free?, why do people underrate the level of Messi and Ronaldo so much. That level is unprecedented for a reason in my eyes.

SupaFella

Supports
Manchester City
Neymar's talent is withought question. His maturity and mentality is questionable. Last time i saw Neymar i almost had him mistaken for Justin Bieber to be fair. Popstar mentallity. Just more drama and theater on and off the pitch with him.

People just don't like whiners that much, a less talented player than him would endear more if he proved to have a exceptionally fighting and sportive spirit.

Last edited:

wr8_utd

:'(
Whatever he does off the pitch, when he's on it, he's sensational and the best player after Messi and Ronaldo over the last 7-8 years. I can't stand his diving and theatrics either but people get so blinded by it that they start to rate his performances on the basis of that. You can see how good he was even by how much Barcelona have declined apart from Messi since he left. Dembele, Coutinho and now Griezmann have come in and not one of them will be a patch on what Neymar did and can do.
He'd have been a sensational signing for Barca if it had gone through this summer. His top level is something the likes of Hazard, Bale and Salah can't even dream of.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Neymar is on another level to Bale talent-wise. He's the most talented footballer since Messi, and while Bale is great, but he is significantly more limited, Neymar at his best can do pretty much everything with the ball.

What a ridiculous goal against Strasbourg as well, I would've missed it if not for this bump.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln

No. The only player of modern era who could have been on their level, if injury free, is Robben imo.

SupaFella

Supports
Manchester City
His top level is something the likes of Hazard, Bale and Salah can't even dream of.
I can't stand his diving and theatrics either but people get so blinded by it that they start to rate his performances on the basis of that.
I take a guideline in regards to "when it really matters", and this guideline as for a comparison between Hazard and Neymar for me came during the last world cup. It imho showed that Neymar lacked the relative level of dedication and profesionalism that Hazard has to surpass him in terms of importance to a team when it really matters. The Bazilians tend to carry Neymar on their hands but his performance during Belgium vs Brazil was conspiciously egregious. I don't watch that many matches though, feel free to explain to me that Neymar is more dedicated and proffesional than i think.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I take a guideline in regards to "when it really matters", and this guideline as for a comparison between Hazard and Neymar for me came during the last world cup. It imho showed that Neymar lacked the relative level of dedication and profesionalism that Hazard has to surpass him in terms of importance to a team when it really matters. The Bazilians tend to carry Neymar on their hands but his performance during Belgium vs Brazil was conspiciously egregious. I don't watch that many matches though, feel free to explain to me that Neymar is more dedicated and proffesional than i think.
I agree that Hazard was sensational against Brazil and that Neymar had a disappointing World Cup by reverting to type (wasteful, hero complex) lacking match sharpness. But his problem at the World Cup wasn't his dedication or professionalism imo, it was the 3-month injury he had just recovered from. Regardless of how well he looked after himself, he was never going to get back up to his peak level within a couple of weeks.

SupaFella

Supports
Manchester City
I agree that Hazard was sensational against Brazil and that Neymar had a disappointing World Cup by reverting to type (wasteful, hero complex) lacking match sharpness. But his problem at the World Cup wasn't his dedication or professionalism imo, it was the 3-month injury he had just recovered from.
Fair enough like i say i don't see much of his matches and what i see from him sometimes akes him more to some type of popstar image. Just consider my perspective that of the casual occasional football viewer that afcourse tunes in especially during World cups to get the measure of players. ;)

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
When it really mattered Neymar delivered the UCL to Barcelona as one of the top scorers scoring in all quarter, semi and finals. The closest Barcelona got to that was when Neymar led Barcelona to overturn a 4-0 deficit vs PSG in one of the greatest CL performances of all time
Hazard has been a total embarrassment in the CL, he has 8 career CL goals 4 of which were penalties.
Neymar in 2 injuries laden season at PSG has more CL goals than Hazards entire football career.

Neymar was a Balon dor 3rd place, Hazard has never made top 5

Belgium vs Brazil at the last world cup, Hazard had no goal, no assist, no chance created, no shot on target as an attacking player. Infact Hazard didnt have a shot on target in the quarter and semis vs Brazil and France.

On the field, while Hazard is more about dribbling and pleasing himself, Neymar scores more and assist more, strikes a free-kick better, passes better and is generally more skillful

Neymars diving and drama makes people try to downplay his ability, truth is he isn't on the same planet as Hazard in football abilities

If both are available, most top clubs will go for Neymar

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveJ

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
Neymar is only behind Lionel Messi when it comes to individual ability. His main problem has been his injury record during the latter stages of the season. .

RooneyLegend

His accomplishments don't match the player he is mostly due to some true rotten luck. As a player he's magnificent.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
You're talking about a game in which neymar was consistently dangerous as brazil's focal point of attack against a parked bus. A game in which Hazard was sensational....by getting fouled a bunch of times

Admittedly Hazard did have an impressive game when put into neymar's shoes the following game against France -though not better than Neymar's against Belgium. And that's the entire story: what constitutes a poor game by neymar's standards is in turn a brilliant game for Hazard. That says it all

wr8_utd

:'(
Neymar coming into this WC was like Rooney getting into the 2006 WC. A broken ankle and a lack of match sharpness caused havoc. Hazard still was Brazil's best player and biggest threat imo.
As for the standing up to be counted, he's done it for Barca in the most crucial of times and even in his injury riddled CL campaigns at PSG, he's got goals vs Bayern, away at Celtic, Liverpool and I think Napoli. He's had rotten luck in terms of his fitness.

izec

Yep, fantastic player. People dislike him because of his diving and off the pitch antics. He is a bit of a cnut, but a tremendous footballer. Can do anything with the ball and scores goals.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Do you honestly see Neymar, or Bale taking either Barca or Real to Champions League glory, scoring 50 plus goals a season, even injury free?, why do people underrate the level of Messi and Ronaldo so much. That level is unprecedented for a reason in my eyes.
Injury free during an entire season and as the main focal point of a team, Neymar could get 40+ goals and a crazy high number of assists too.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Yep, fantastic player. People dislike him because of his diving and off the pitch antics. He is a bit of a cnut, but a tremendous footballer. Can do anything with the ball and scores goals.
He's a complete merchant banker

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You're talking about a game in which neymar was consistently dangerous as brazil's focal point of attack against a parked bus. A game in which Hazard was sensational....by getting fouled a bunch of times

Admittedly Hazard did have an impressive game when put into neymar's shoes the following game against France -though not better than Neymar's against Belgium. And that's the entire story: what constitutes a poor game by neymar's standards is in turn a brilliant game for Hazard. That says it all
As much as I admire Hazard, this is probably true. Neymar is simply yet another level above him, which is actually incredible. Without injuries he's the closest thing to Messi right now and the only player to reach his level occasionally.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Neymar coming into this WC was like Rooney getting into the 2006 WC. A broken ankle and a lack of match sharpness caused havoc. Hazard still was Brazil's best player and biggest threat imo.
As for the standing up to be counted, he's done it for Barca in the most crucial of times and even in his injury riddled CL campaigns at PSG, he's got goals vs Bayern, away at Celtic, Liverpool and I think Napoli. He's had rotten luck in terms of his fitness.
Neymar Playing Bayern Liverpool Napoli, Celtic RedStar, Neymar has 11 CL goals in 2 injury-filled seasons with PSG
Hazard has 8 CL goals his entire career.

Righteous Steps

Whatever he does off the pitch, when he's on it, he's sensational and the best player after Messi and Ronaldo over the last 7-8 years. I can't stand his diving and theatrics either but people get so blinded by it that they start to rate his performances on the basis of that. You can see how good he was even by how much Barcelona have declined apart from Messi since he left. Dembele, Coutinho and now Griezmann have come in and not one of them will be a patch on what Neymar did and can do.
He'd have been a sensational signing for Barca if it had gone through this summer. His top level is something the likes of Hazard, Bale and Salah can't even dream of.
Last statement is definition of hyperbole, individually Salahs season two seasons ago is as good as anything Neymar has done in his career, Hazard World Cup is a better performance of any international tournament Neymar has played in, the level these players can only dream of, is exactly that, a fantasy or dream.

Righteous Steps

You can have a great game without goals or assists, Zidane had many....

Righteous Steps

As much as I admire Hazard, this is probably true. Neymar is simply yet another level above him, which is actually incredible. Without injuries he's the closest thing to Messi right now and the only player to reach his level occasionally.
He should have at least carry Brazil to a World Cup final if he was truly a level above, I mean Messi even had that one final appearance, Hazard the player he is a level above has also.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He should have at least carry Brazil to a World Cup final if he was truly a level above, I mean Messi even had that one final appearance, Hazard the player he is a level above has also.
When? He broke a verterbrae in 2014 during the world cup and broke his foot in 2018.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Hazard carried Belgium to a final? Hazard went to semi finals which Neymar achieved in 2014. Then you are left with their numbers in which Neymar is vastly superior and his trophey cabinet as well. (UCL winner as top scorer for once)